2019 Names

mariasmon

Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Forever Medaglia - c. Medaglia d'Oro x Forever Unbridled
Unbridled Medaglia - f. Medaglia d'Oro x Unbridled Forever
mariasmon

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:54 pm

Some more Fipke names for your enjoyment.

Perfect Chris - c. Perfect Timber x Chris Cove Town (family of Keen Ice, Coal Play)
Dyna's Bourbon - c. Not Bourbon x Dyna's Recoleta
Jersey Gold - f. Jersey Town x Sheba Gold (IRE) (dam is full to Perfect Soul)
Soul of the Nile - f. Pioneerof the Nile x Secretariat's Soul (IRE) (dam is full to Perfect Soul)
Speighty War - c. Java's War x Speighty Girl (dam is full to Jersey Town)
Super Cool Storm - f. Super Saver x Cool Storm (1/2 to Nonna Mela, Nonna Madeline, Get Lucky family)
Tale of Perfection - f. Perfect Timber x Impossible Tale (2nd dam is Impossible Time)
Flanders

Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:21 pm

mariasmon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 pm Forever Medaglia - c. Medaglia d'Oro x Forever Unbridled
Unbridled Medaglia - f. Medaglia d'Oro x Unbridled Forever
Oof. I mean I knew these 2 names were coming cause there isn't much left to be used from the combination but those are some rough names.
mariasmon

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:27 pm

Ready Lady - f. More Than Ready x Lady Shakespeare
Super Fire - f. Super Saver x Fire Into Ice (dam is 1/2 to Internallyflawless)
Taleofreadychianti - f.Tale of Ekati x Ready for Chianti (family of Dangerous Midge)
Tales of Home - f. Tale of Ekati x Pleasant Home
Flanders

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:43 pm

mariasmon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:27 pm Taleofreadychianti - f.Tale of Ekati x Ready for Chianti (family of Dangerous Midge)
holy crap. XD
mariasmon

Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:52 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:43 pm
mariasmon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:27 pm Taleofreadychianti - f.Tale of Ekati x Ready for Chianti (family of Dangerous Midge)
holy crap. XD
I thought that one took the cake.
Flanders

Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:24 pm

mariasmon wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:52 pm
holy crap. XD
You are right unless you find something even worse, which is possible. hahaha
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:25 pm Ghost Art c. Shaman Ghost x Artsy
Marathon Woman f. Shaman Ghost x Fortuitous
The Ghost of N Y c. Shaman Ghost x Summertimemischief
Shamateur c. Shaman Ghost x Sky High Gal
Jazzy Boo f. Shaman Ghost x Scattagirl
Ghostfinder c. Shaman Ghost x Finding More
Dendera c. Shaman Ghost x Daddy's Duo
Lying Ghost c. Shaman Ghost x I Ain't Gonna Lie
Dimmi Quando c. Shaman Ghost x Wackey Logic
Amanda Rose f. Shaman Ghost x Athina Lee
Rafikki c. Shaman Ghost x Miss Lafayette
Agador Spartacus c. Shaman Ghost x Stars Collide
Silent Ghost f. Shaman Ghost x She's Stella Marie
Phantom Mistress f. Shaman Ghost x Chance Encounter
Ultra H D f. Shaman Ghost x High Definition
Last edited by Mylute on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
KatieK101

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Mylute wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm
Mylute wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:25 pm Ghost Art c. Shaman Ghost x Artsy
Marathon Woman f. Shaman Ghost x Fortuitous
Rafikki c. Shaman Ghost x Miss Lafayette
The Disney nerd in me thinks this one is cute :) Clever too, considering Rafikki was the shamen in The Lion King!
HB1994

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:58 pm

Agador Spartacus c. Shaman Ghost x Stars Collide is pretty clever because his character from The Birdcage (played by Hank Azaria) says his “father was the shaman of his tribe.”
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:08 am

Flanders wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:24 pm

holy crap. XD
Tales of Home and Tale of Perfection are fine, though. They definitely pass the "sounds good in a classic race call" test for me. Not all possible sire/dam combination names should be rejected outright in an attempt to create something more clever.
Flanders

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 am

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:08 am

Tales of Home and Tale of Perfection are fine, though. They definitely pass the "sounds good in a classic race call" test for me. Not all possible sire/dam combination names should be rejected outright in an attempt to create something more clever.
I agree that they aren't all terrible. The problem is, he breeds a lot of the same lines to a lot of the same stallions. So the names get really absurd at some points, there was an even worse one than Taleofreadychianti that was mentioned in another thread, Speight'spercomete, like what even is that?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:30 am

Flanders wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 am

I agree that they aren't all terrible. The problem is, he breeds a lot of the same lines to a lot of the same stallions. So the names get really absurd at some points, there was an even worse one than Taleofreadychianti that was mentioned in another thread, Speight'spercomete, like what even is that?
Don't get me started on run-on names. They were extremely rare when I started following racing in the early '70s; now you can hardly find a race field that doesn't have at least one. And I am weary of the Cats and Kittens and will soon be weary of the Chromes, because nobody is doing anything the least bit creative with their names. Maybe there are too many Tales out there, but Tale seems to be a name you can get much more evocative names out of than those other three.

My larger point is that even nonsensical sire/dam-based names can have that certain ring to them. Two cheapies I liked on the New England circuit some years back were Vague Weekend (Vagaries-Encounter Weekend) and Picante Falstaff (Falstaff-Mucho Picante) -- totally meaningless, but I liked the way they sounded in a race call. Same with all the place-name horses Wayne Lukas used to train -- Salt Lake, Houston, Marfa, etc. -- and the Arkansas names that would up on Loblolly's runners. I can't be the only who liked the sound of Pine Bluff and didn't care that there wasn't a clever literary reference buried in the name, can I?
Flanders

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:33 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:30 am

Don't get me started on run-on names. They were extremely rare when I started following racing in the early '70s; now you can hardly find a race field that doesn't have at least one. And I am weary of the Cats and Kittens and will soon be weary of the Chromes, because nobody is doing anything the least bit creative with their names. Maybe there are too many Tales out there, but Tale seems to be a name you can get much more evocative names out of than those other three.

My larger point is that even nonsensical sire/dam-based names can have that certain ring to them. Two cheapies I liked on the New England circuit some years back were Vague Weekend (Vagaries-Encounter Weekend) and Picante Falstaff (Falstaff-Mucho Picante) -- totally meaningless, but I liked the way they sounded in a race call. Same with all the place-name horses Wayne Lukas used to train -- Salt Lake, Houston, Marfa, etc. -- and the Arkansas names that would up on Loblolly's runners. I can't be the only who liked the sound of Pine Bluff and didn't care that there wasn't a clever literary reference buried in the name, can I?
Yeah for sure they don't have to be bad if a combination of the sire and dam. They also don't have to have any ties to the sire and dam. I've always enjoyed the horses named after places as well. I too thought the Loblolly horses has interesting names though I think I only caught the very end of that stable. Since it was definitely dissolved before 2000, I can't look them up on Equibase to see if I recognize any of their other horses, which I'm sure I would. But hey Ed Anthony is maybe doing the same again as Caddo River is named after an Arkansas River.
KatieK101

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:33 pm
WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:30 am

Yeah for sure they don't have to be bad if a combination of the sire and dam. They also don't have to have any ties to the sire and dam. I've always enjoyed the horses named after places as well. I too thought the Loblolly horses has interesting names though I think I only caught the very end of that stable. Since it was definitely dissolved before 2000, I can't look them up on Equibase to see if I recognize any of their other horses, which I'm sure I would. But hey Ed Anthony is maybe doing the same again as Caddo River is named after an Arkansas River.
My favorite names tend to be inspired by the sire/dam's names, but not a combination. Or they have the same 'vibes' if that makes sense? For example, Awesome Again and Game On Dude aren't directly connected but they both remind me of skate parks and arcades :D

Or another example is Teeming, and all of her foals have '-ing' names; Streaming, Modeling, Treasuring, etc.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Oakhurst Racing

War of the Roses g. Fort Larned x Familyofroses
Slew's Final Saga g. Slew's Saga x Milady de Winter
Stonus Maximus g. Grindstone x Go to the Alter
Fortysthenewthirty f. Giacomo x Forty Something
Hasta La Vista g. Raised a Secret x Miss Florielo
Rocky Romance f. Giacomo x Ruby Romance
Milords Oathkeeper g. Giacomo x Milady Rocks
Smiling Salsa f. Smiling Tiger x Princess Hillary
Raised a Redhead f. Raised a Secret x Miss Lydia
Elegant Triumph f. Giacomo x Easy Elegance
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Missbeholder

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:02 am

[/quote]
My favorite names tend to be inspired by the sire/dam's names, but not a combination. Or they have the same 'vibes' if that makes sense? For example, Awesome Again and Game On Dude aren't directly connected but they both remind me of skate parks and arcades :D

Or another example is Teeming, and all of her foals have '-ing' names; Streaming, Modeling, Treasuring, etc.
[/quote]

These are my favorites too. Names that cleverly reference sire and dam without duplicating words.

Perfect example is Forever Together (Belong To Me x Constant Companion).
Also, a McAnally filly from decades ago named Shotgun Wedding (Blushing Groom x Outdraw).
Flanders

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:50 am

She's Gone, filly (Curlin - She's Not Here, by Street Cry) first foal for dam, She's Not Here is a MG2SW out of Where's Bailey (1/2 sister to Zenyatta and Balance)
Flanders

Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:18 am

Sense of Destiny, c. (Curlin - Close Hatches, by First Defence)
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:05 am

Missbeholder wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:02 am Or another example is Teeming, and all of her foals have '-ing' names; Streaming, Modeling, Treasuring, etc.
One-word names are almost always good. Just make sure the track announcer knows how to pronounce them. Deny was in a race at Tampa a couple of weeks back and Richard Grunder called him "Deenie" throughout. Reminded me of the time Jan Rushton was doing the paddock preview for NYRA and started talking about a horse named Belabor, but she didn't recognize the name as an actual word and instead went on and on about why "Bella Bore" was an interesting possibility in the race.That may have been what happened to Grunder with Deny.