Korea Breeding

Catalina

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 pm
What I'd like to know now is this...what is meant by "initiated the PROCESS to return Take Charge Indy?" If the Koreans have acquiesced to WinStar's right to bring him home, then WinStar should arrange for one or more of their reps (including a veterinarian) to fly over and bring him back ASAP. I realize they probably need to evaluate his physical condition, but the sooner the better. All the horses can't be saved, but at least get TCI out of this terrible situation as fast as possible:

I think TCI actually had a return clause in his contract.
lurkey mclurker

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm Is there a video of him limping? That bandage could just be covering a superficial wound or scrape while it heals, and jumping a mare wouldn't necessarily be a problem at all. Those type of bandages are always a bit bulky and can look moreso once they are stretched due the bending of the joint. It is telling that that the bandage does not go all the way up to the hock and so it would not be particularly supportive for a soft tissue injury (suspensory, tendon, etc). Of course bandages like that can be used immediately post-op to protect the incisions, but I doubt they would have him jumping mares right after surgery on a hind fetlock. He is, after all, a valuable stallion. I would be shocked to wander through the breeding sheds of America and not find a bandage or two. Horses are good at getting into scrapes.
This. And even if he is/was off a little, that might also not have anything to do with a major soundness issue or injury. Our horses at the barn ding themselves all the time... or it might be cellulitis, which can be chronic but manageable, or any of a lot of things.

While I'm happy that TCI is coming back too, he looks in good weight/condition in the photo provided, and I see nothing dire or terrible about either him or the mare or foal in that pic...?
RugbyGirl

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 pm

A US stallion named Revolutionary (War Pass) has just arrived in Korea on Aug 28 for breeding next season

On the other hand Tizway has departed Korea for the Usa on 17 September
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:37 pm

RugbyGirl wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 pm A US stallion named Revolutionary (War Pass) has just arrived in Korea on Aug 28 for breeding next season

Alright so how long ago was it somebody on here asked when Revolutionary would be headed to Soko?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
TapitsGal

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 pm

RugbyGirl wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 pm A US stallion named Revolutionary (War Pass) has just arrived in Korea on Aug 28 for breeding next season

I wonder what American farm bought Tizway
RugbyGirl

Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:10 pm

I think Tizway is on his way to Turkey
kelso

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:00 am

CorridorZ75 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm Is there a video of him limping? That bandage could just be covering a superficial wound or scrape while it heals, and jumping a mare wouldn't necessarily be a problem at all. Those type of bandages are always a bit bulky and can look moreso once they are stretched due the bending of the joint. It is telling that that the bandage does not go all the way up to the hock and so it would not be particularly supportive for a soft tissue injury (suspensory, tendon, etc). Of course bandages like that can be used immediately post-op to protect the incisions, but I doubt they would have him jumping mares right after surgery on a hind fetlock. He is, after all, a valuable stallion. I would be shocked to wander through the breeding sheds of America and not find a bandage la vuelta live. Horses are good at getting into scrapes.
Did yoi find it?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:20 pm

January 1 isn't here yet but I think it's safe to say these stats aren't changing.

Top 3 Leading General Sires for 2019
Menifee (Harlan)
Hansen (Tapit)
Ecton Park (Forty Niner)

Top 3 Leading Sires of 2 YOs for 2019
Hansen (Tapit)
Old Fashioned (Unbridled's Song)
Officer (Bertrando)

Top 3 Leading Sires of 3 YOs for 2019
Colors Flying (A.P. Indy)
Hansen (Tapit)
Menifee (Harlan)

Top 3 Leading First Crop Sires
Old Fashioned (Unbridled's Song)
Musket Man (Yonaguska)
Gyeongbudaero (Menifee)

Top 3 Leading Second Crop Sires
Tiz Wonderful (Tiznow)
Federalist (Empire Maker)
Any Given Saturday (Distorted Humor)

Top 3 Leading Third Crop Sires
Hansen (Tapit)
Testa Matta (Tapit)
Thunder Moccasin (A.P. Warrior)

Top 3 Leading Broodmare Sires
Menifee (Harlan)
Dixie Union (Dixieland Band)
Yankee Victor (Saint Ballado)
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
prides2259

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Take charge Indy Looks About as 3 Legged Lame as You Can Be In This case IMHO He Should not Be Jumping
Mare s But we also Do not Know the issue

H
RugbyGirl

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Just looking through stallion obits for 2019 in Korea:

US bred
Essay (Tale Of The Cat) on 04 Dec aged 19
Menifee (Harlan) on 13 June aged 23
Plan (Storm Cat) on 1st Dec aged 14
Rock Buster (Unbridleds Song) on 04 Dec aged 19
Vicar Love (Vicar) on 15 Sept aged 14

Japan bred
Daiwa Arazi (Arazi) on 04 Dec aged 20

Also a horse named Central Command (Into Mischief-Advance Party) has just arrived there for stud next year
RugbyGirl

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:55 am

Some Korean studbook updates:
New stallions this season
Central Command (Into Mischief)
Giant Run (Giants Causeway)
Prospective (Malibu Moon)
Uncaptured (Lion Heart)
RugbyGirl

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:54 pm

More new stallions in Korea
Boys At Tosconova (Officer)
Freedom Child (Malibu Moon)
Mr Crow (Tapizar)
Shackleford (Forestry)
Unbeatable (Eddington)
Northport

Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:29 pm

The Stronach Group Joins PETA in Urging Ban on Sale of Horses to South Korea

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/t ... 8k.twitter

I am not one to side with Peta, but we've discussed plenty of times on this forum how South Korea is pretty openly blasé about slaughtering a huge portion of their racehorses and breeding stock once they no longer are of any use. Obviously money talks and no one is going to stop selling horses to Korea, but I am actually glad that someone is shining a light on this.

I'm not even opposed to the humane slaughtering of horses for food, but what bothers me about the South Korean industry is that they import and breed a lot of horses for such a small and densely populated area. We all know that there isn't enough space for retired horses to exist in the country, period. The KRA has stated publicly that only 50 of 1600 retired horses each year can be retrained. Yet they continue to make huge investments into bloodstock and improving their breed, but at what cost to the animals? This isn't the first exposé where we see a horse go lame, get pensioned, retired, etc, and then see it change hands and a bolt go into its head a couple days later.

In my opinion, if you want to breed Thoroughbreds, good Thoroughbreds, you need to have a plan for the other 98% that are not stars. No industry is innocent, regardless of the country, but Jesus, at least others try.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:14 pm

They apparently don't even make the effort to see it anyone wants to repatriate them.
FlyToTheStars

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:23 pm

Wow. Private Vow was slaughtered? Tragic
sweettalk

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:27 pm

reading that shackleford ended up there was one of the worst things i've read regarding horse sales, on a strictly personal level. i worry about him a lot.
FlyToTheStars

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:43 pm

Im looking in their studbook, there is no mention of cause of death other than a date. I saw an article online that reason of death ARE listed if you know where to look. Does anyone know the link?
Mylute

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:22 pm

I tend to look at all stud books I know of at least once a week for updates and I've yet to see where you can find the COD.

pls bring Hansen back

though Hansen has a higher profile than Private Vow
CleverCharm

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:49 pm

sweettalk wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:27 pm reading that shackleford ended up there was one of the worst things i've read regarding horse sales, on a strictly personal level. i worry about him a lot.
Same. Is there a way to find out if he has a buy back clause?
Flanders

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:33 am

How can they condemn South Korea when the US is #6 in the world for horses sent to slaughter? The Stronach family supports Canadian racing yet Canada sits #7 on the list of horse's produced for slaughter and its eaten in the Quebec area. South Korea doesn't even break the top 10. If they think known horses aren't sent to slaughter in the US they are crazy. Horse meat is eaten in a ton of countries and even in the ones that it isn't, most still slaughter horses to sell the meat for consumption elsewhere.

I should add that I am not a fan of horse slaughter but I don't understand how they can condemn one country when its done EVERYWHERE. The US isn't innocent. Its like they want to say, "Oh we don't slaughter horses in the US!" but they send over 100k to Mexico and Canada every year to be slaughtered, its just as bad. UK doesn't eat horses but they slaughter or ship their horses elsewhere to be eaten. I was watching a video on Youtube recently that was recorded in the UK in late October/early November and they were talking about how a Welsh A pony breeder sent all of this years foals that hadn't sold to slaughter. In normal years all the foals sell but with covid this year, they had quite a few left (I never heard an exact number), and they couldn't justify keeping them.