Stallion News

KatieK101

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:57 am

Between the sons of Candy Ride, I think I'd have to go with Gun Runner. Twirling Candy is a nice sire, too.

As for sons of AP Indy, I'd probably go with Mineshaft. My answer used to be Honor Code but I've been pretty bummed by his first crop. At least he has some excuses, considering this was such a weird season and a lot of horses' schedules were thrown off. I wouldn't say he's off to a bad start, but there are other, cheaper stallions I'd rather send a mare to.
Flanders

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:21 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:05 pm Does having Candy Ride as a sire help or hinder Game Winner's prospects? Have any of CR's sons been doing well at stud...besides Twirling Candy?
And am I crazy to feel like too many of Candy Ride's offspring have retired kind of early due to injury? :?
I don't think he has any more or any less retired early due to injury than any other stallion.

He doesn't have a ton of horses at stud with foals of racing age. 3 of those started in Kentucky and 1, Twirling Candy, is doing okay, he has 4% SWs to foals of racing age. Misremembered is okay as a regional sire, he doesn't get GSWs but he has 5% SWs. Sidney's Candy was by far the worst only getting 2% SWs.

There are some regional stallions as well, Clubhouse Ride(2% SWs), Red Vine(first foals are 2yos), and Kettle Corn(0 SWs). Getting one good one from 3 starting in Kentucky is really good. One of those becoming a decent regional sire is good. I'd say overall he is doing alright as a Sire of Sires.
Curtis

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 am
CorridorZ75 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:13 pm
TapitsGal wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:57 pm So the question is as a breeder if you had to pick a new stallion at lanes end for 2021 to breed to. Do you go with game winner? Or Honor AP? Or neither? I'd probably prefer to send my mare to honor AP. I can get that honor code and AP Indy bloodline at a much cheaper price than to go to honor code himself
Why go with a new stallion, both of which will be overpriced. If you want AP Indy at LE, you've got Mineshaft at 20K or even Mr Speaker at 10K ( with one more Gr1 winner than AP).

If you really want Candy Ride, go with the one son at stud that didn't fall apart through a full racing career- Gun Runner ( probably because he has always looked more like him damside.)
Mr. Speaker has 1 grade 1 winner in the US - if he has another anywhere else, I’m unaware of it. He’s well behind Honor Code on the 2nd crop sires list, so I’m sorry, I don’t see the appeal. Mineshaft is a solid sire, but he’s 20 plus years old and has only sporadically sired top horses.

Tapit’sGal. I don’t think you will get unbiased responses re: HAP because most people on this board didn’t think highly of him as a racehorse and even less of him as a sire prospect. I think HAP could be a very good sire because IMO he was a very talented racehorse, but I’m not completely convinced mostly because I don’t know about Honor Code...certainly I’m not sure of his prospects as a sire of sires. That said, you should go with your gut...
So in conclusion, no one on this board will give an unbiased response regarding Honor A.P. but you?
Flanders

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:16 am Mehmas to Tally-Ho Stud in 2017.

A current 2yo is being retired to stud next year at 3. There is nothing wrong with him. He is scheduled to make his final career start on 9/24 in the Middle Park Stakes(G1).
I remembered talking about him retiring to stud. Apparently they made a good choice because he has been doing excellent. From his first crop of 2yos he has at this point 4 SWs, 2 GSWs, 2 Spws, 87 starters (from 113 foals), 33 winners.

He has more than double the 2yo winners of any other first year stallion standing in North America or Europe. He also has 34 more starters than any first year stallion, the closest US stallion is Exaggerator with, strangely enough, 34 starters.
Northport

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm

A current 2yo is being retired to stud next year at 3. There is nothing wrong with him. He is scheduled to make his final career start on 9/24 in the Middle Park Stakes(G1).
I remembered talking about him retiring to stud. Apparently they made a good choice because he has been doing excellent. From his first crop of 2yos he has at this point 4 SWs, 2 GSWs, 2 Spws, 87 starters (from 113 foals), 33 winners.

He has more than double the 2yo winners of any other first year stallion standing in North America or Europe. He also has 34 more starters than any first year stallion, the closest US stallion is Exaggerator with, strangely enough, 34 starters.
I've been following his start this year, and, not gonna lie, I really was hoping that he wouldn't be doing as well as he's doing. I'm afraid it's going to continue the trend of retiring sound and speedy two year olds, even if they haven't won a G1. Al Shaqab retired Gutaifan as a sound two year old, then followed up with Mehmas the next year.

Mehmas has made a better start, but Gutaifan has some nice ones coming in, like Fev Rover and Sardinia Sunset. I guess I couldn't be too surprised with Gutaifan's early retirement, he's by Dark Angel, who retired sound at 2 after winning the G1 Middle Park then bombing out in the Dewhurst.

The Last Lion was another sound two year old who retired the same year as Mehmas, and he's had a really slow start. I feel bad actively wanting a horse to not succeed, but it's just such a dangerous trend and I'd hate to see it become commonplace.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:30 pm

Northport wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:15 pm
Flanders wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm

I've been following his start this year, and, not gonna lie, I really was hoping that he wouldn't be doing as well as he's doing. I'm afraid it's going to continue the trend of retiring sound and speedy two year olds, even if they haven't won a G1. Al Shaqab retired Gutaifan as a sound two year old, then followed up with Mehmas the next year.

Mehmas has made a better start, but Gutaifan has some nice ones coming in, like Fev Rover and Sardinia Sunset. I guess I couldn't be too surprised with Gutaifan's early retirement, he's by Dark Angel, who retired sound at 2 after winning the G1 Middle Park then bombing out in the Dewhurst.

The Last Lion was another sound two year old who retired the same year as Mehmas, and he's had a really slow start. I feel bad actively wanting a horse to not succeed, but it's just such a dangerous trend and I'd hate to see it become commonplace.
Oh yeah I'm not a fan of it. I don't like that sound 3yos are retired, a sound 2yo is even worse. I just wanted to bring it up because I feel like there was a very lively discussion when his retirement was announced back in 2016.
Flanders

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:52 am

Awesome Again looking absolutely fantastic at 26, in retirement at Adena.

https://vimeo.com/453821435
HB1994

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:05 am

Mehmas colts just finished 1 - 3 in the Middle Park S (G1).
huron5315

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Honor Code was on my "can't miss" list.
Slewfan2

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:48 pm

huron5315 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:02 pm Honor Code was on my "can't miss" list.
Don’t give up yet!

It’s funny, but I was recently thinking that HC isn’t stamping his second crop nearly as much as his first. Is that odd?
tachyon

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:27 am

Hokko Tarumae(JPN)(King Kamehameha) sired his first JRA winner, when his 2yo colt Impulse Bern(JPN)[o/o Moon Flight(JPN) by Admire Moon(JPN)] won his debut by 7 lengths in Nakayama 3R 1800m dirt Newcomer on Sep 26th 2020.
https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001270060/

-- First-season sires this year who have got off the mark in JRA:

A Shin Hikari[/b](JPN)(Deep Impact)
Asia Express(USA)(Henny Hughes)
Clean Ecology(JPN)(King Kamehameha)
Creator(USA)(Tapit)
Danon Legend(JPN)(Macho Uno)
Discreet Cat(USA)(Forestry)
Duramente(JPN)(King Kamehameha)
Hokko Tarumae(JPN)(King Kamehameha)
Leontes(JPN)(KIng Kamehameha)
Lovely Day(JPN)(King Kamehameha)
Makfi(GB)(Dubawi)
Maurice(JPN)(Screen Hero)
Mikki Isle(JPN)(Deep Impact)

First-season sires really got off to a flying start this year in Japan!!
Maurice (first-season) now leads the 2yo ranking, followed by Duramente (first-season), Epiphaneia (second-crop), Kizuna (second-crop) and Makfi (first-season).
It's going to be exciting to see young sires beat veteran sires! 8-)

-- 2yo sire ranking (total of JRA & NAR)
https://www.jbis.jp/ranking/result/?rid ... &x=54&y=14

-- First-season sire ranking (total of JRA & NAR)
https://www.jbis.jp/ranking/result/?rid ... &x=49&y=11
Slinky_Malinky

Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:14 am

Mucho Macho Man got his second first-crop Gr 1 winner in Mucho Unusual.

He's quietly producing some good horses. Even without Mucho Gusto, he is improving his mares and he's getting 50% winners from starters, which is pretty good (for comparison, Into Mischief has 41% w:s, Curlin has 44%).

Interestingly -- MMM and Constitution have very similar sire performance stats. Take away their top earners (Mucho Gusto and Tiz The Law) and MMM's runners have an average earnings of about $45k while Constitution has average of about $35k. Although MMM is 3rd crop, he has only 2 more foals in his first two crops combined than Constitution has in his first crop alone, and Constitution has more 2yo starters this year than MMM has named 2yo foals. Constitution has more stakes horses (which I expect because he got more and better mares than MMM), but his stakes horses to foals ratio is almost identical to MMM. MMM has 65% winners from runners, Constitution has about 50%. If you take out 2yos of 2020, MMM goes to 68% winners from runners and Constitution is at 55% winners from runners.

This is more an exploration of marketing and spin than anything else. These are two stallions with very similar performance figures, and the 2yo sales prices tell me that the buying market recognizes that MMM is putting out quality runners who will make money. The yearling market was willing to gamble on the Tapit name and now the likelihood of another Tiz The Law.
TapitsGal

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:58 pm

Palace becomes spendthrifts latest cast off...headed to Saudi Arabia for stud
Flanders

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:58 pm Palace becomes spendthrifts latest cast off...headed to Saudi Arabia for stud
Do I win a prize? He was #1 on my Spendthrift leaving list when you asked in that other thread.
Gemini

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 am

TapitsGal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:58 pm Palace becomes spendthrifts latest cast off...headed to Saudi Arabia for stud
Hopefully both Collected and Improbable can carry on with the City Zip stallion line.
Squeaky

Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 pm

Bird Song sold to Saudi Arabia from Gainesway
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Creative Cause, Not This Time See Most Dramatic Jumps In Average At Keeneland September Sale
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... mber-sale/
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:08 am

Persian King will retire to stud in 2021 to Haras d’Etreham.
https://theownerbreeder.com/news/arc-ch ... -detreham/
TapitsGal

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:27 pm

What do you all think of 10k as a fee for promises fulfilled? He's retired and at WinStar
Retrospectiv

Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:31 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:27 pm What do you all think of 10k as a fee for promises fulfilled? He's retired and at WinStar
As a son of Shackleford, I give him 3 seasons at Winstar before he's given the boot. Once the yearlings don't bring much, he'll be gone.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."