California Chrome to Japan

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 pm

While I also wish 'Chrome had stayed here and had success, I'm kind of excited about Japan's committed interest in him.
I've come to have great respect for the Japanese eye for breeding stock. It seems like every time I read a race result from Japan, the dams of the top runners are often American race mares that were imported. Or the dam sires are USA-bred stallions.
Chrome's best chance at a successful stud career may have just been made possible by Arrow Stud. 8-)
Catalina

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:50 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 pm
Chrome's best chance at a successful stud career may have just been made possible by Arrow Stud. 8-)
He's got a lot better chance of getting good mares over there, IMO as well.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:27 am

From a World Horse Racing tweet with an embedded video: Mr. "Keisuke Onishi (JS Company Ltd) reassures fans CALIFORNIA CHROME will be afforded the best of care when joining the 2020 stallion roster at Arrow Stud."

I don't know how to repost a Tweet, so here's the link: https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet ... UbZ5ncTLPw

Such is the power of the phenomenon known as California Chrome.
Private Thoughts

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:06 am

His 1/2 brother by Tapit seems to be doing quite well as. 2 year old and is entered in a stakes race Saturday.

Funny for those who poo-poo his family, or lack thereof, his little 1/2 brother impressed Coolmore enough to go to 1.1 million to purchase him and now he is having quite a nice 2 year old season.
Northport

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:06 am His 1/2 brother by Tapit seems to be doing quite well as. 2 year old and is entered in a stakes race Saturday.

Funny for those who poo-poo his family, or lack thereof, his little 1/2 brother impressed Coolmore enough to go to 1.1 million to purchase him and now he is having quite a nice 2 year old season.
You can only poopoo what you see. The only information we have is that his dam hasn't reproduced a horse close to his calibre. Coolmore, or anyone, spending $1.1m on a half sibling to a Derby winner by the best American sire is par for the course.

"Quite a nice 2 year old season" is 5th, 2nd, and 1st in three MSW starts and entry in a listed race. I'd wait for some black type before calling it an above average campaign. He seems to be on the improve, and hopefully he wins or hits the board in the Smooth Air and can warrant a spot in the stallion shed at Coolmore in time. It'd be nice to see him get more of a chance if his brother couldn't.
weeeeeeeee
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Here is a video of the full interview of Mr. Keisuke Onishi, JS Company, LTD CEO. He explains the decision and what Chrome will mean for the local breeding industry. Among the things Mr. Onishi says is that the Japanese syndicate came together very quickly, and that Chrome will get about 120 to 130 mares next year. Mr. Onishi says that is very good support for him.

https://www.facebook.com/worldhorseraci ... p_activity
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:23 pm

The highest priced Chrome to sell at OBS sold to Eclipse for $225K. It was the one out of Sky Glow, a sister to Cosmonaught.

The second highest sold for $90K and lower. From the results so far there were a couple that did not sell and had reserves of around $60K.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Treve

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Northport wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:53 pm
Private Thoughts wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:06 am His 1/2 brother by Tapit seems to be doing quite well as. 2 year old and is entered in a stakes race Saturday.

You can only poopoo what you see. The only information we have is that his dam hasn't reproduced a horse close to his calibre. Coolmore, or anyone, spending $1.1m on a half sibling to a Derby winner by the best American sire is par for the course.

"Quite a nice 2 year old season" is 5th, 2nd, and 1st in three MSW starts and entry in a listed race. I'd wait for some black type before calling it an above average campaign. He seems to be on the improve, and hopefully he wins or hits the board in the Smooth Air and can warrant a spot in the stallion shed at Coolmore in time. It'd be nice to see him get more of a chance if his brother couldn't.
Didn't see it mentioned on the forum, but Fort McHenry was claimed for 50 000$ by Purple Rein racing in a Starter Optional Claiming where he finished 3rd. He then ran back in the San Felipe where he finished 6th. Ran in a starter allowance and finished third before running mid April in an AOC finishing 8th... he ran back two weeks after that on April 24th where he finished 10th of 10 in a claiming race.

His last workout is from May 26th. He was gelded somewhere along the way but I am not sure when, I think possibly before he was entered in the starter claiming race by Coolmore. So, really hoping Chrome can be a success for Japanese breeders and he gets his best chance there.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm

Treve wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 pm
Northport wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Didn't see it mentioned on the forum, but Fort McHenry was claimed for 50 000$ by Purple Rein racing in a Starter Optional Claiming where he finished 3rd. He then ran back in the San Felipe where he finished 6th. Ran in a starter allowance and finished third before running mid April in an AOC finishing 8th... he ran back two weeks after that on April 24th where he finished 10th of 10 in a claiming race.

His last workout is from May 26th. He was gelded somewhere along the way but I am not sure when, I think possibly before he was entered in the starter claiming race by Coolmore. So, really hoping Chrome can be a success for Japanese breeders and he gets his best chance there.
He was gelded while still owned by Coolmore before the Smooth Air Stakes. I don't think he was claimed, I think he was sold.
CorridorZ75

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:23 pm The highest priced Chrome to sell at OBS sold to Eclipse for $225K. It was the one out of Sky Glow, a sister to Cosmonaught.

The second highest sold for $90K and lower. From the results so far there were a couple that did not sell and had reserves of around $60K.
I think his more impressive individuals are late in the sale. I liked the Salamera filly that Masterson picked up. It is all about the buzz and the fashion at equine sales. Not This Time has it with the two winners, but I also think it is a bit premature to be paying 1.3 mill for his get. He was an impressive runner and he has a sterling pedigree, but he also didn't make it out of his two year old year, and Miss Macy Sue's offspring in general have not exactly been racking up the starts. Liam's Map is at the top with 8 and he didn't get going till August of 3 year old year and had a 6mth gap between his three year old and four year old campaign.
Treve

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:20 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm He was gelded while still owned by Coolmore before the Smooth Air Stakes. I don't think he was claimed, I think he was sold.
Thanks, I couldn't find a note fo the gelding on the starts I was looking at but I may be didn't check the Smooth Air.

I thought he was claimed since he ran in that Starter Optional Claimer under Coolmore, but then was running for Purple Rein in his following start.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:58 am

Treve wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:20 am
Flanders wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:07 pm He was gelded while still owned by Coolmore before the Smooth Air Stakes. I don't think he was claimed, I think he was sold.
Thanks, I couldn't find a note fo the gelding on the starts I was looking at but I may be didn't check the Smooth Air.

I thought he was claimed since he ran in that Starter Optional Claimer under Coolmore, but then was running for Purple Rein in his following start.
I remembered him being talked about being gelded on here, https://www.thoroughbredchampions.com/f ... 23#p218823. Yeah he did start for a 50k claiming tag but he wasn't claimed. They did sell him though following that race.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:39 pm

The California Chrome/Diva Style 18 cold was sold for $725,000 to the partnership of Mike Repole and St. Elias Stable raced Vino Rosso. Repole also is the co-owner of Louisiana Derby winner Noble Indy. It's a good female family. Diva Style is a half-sister to Tiz The Law. The Chrome colt is gray. Here's a link to conformation photo, walking video and workout video for this colt: https://www.facebook.com/CindaStillings ... 498528264/

There are Chrome colts and fillies who have not gone through a sales ring. Calumet kept Chrome's firstborn foal, a colt out of Paytheman. There is a lovely Chrome colt that has just been sent to Todd Pletcher's barn at Gulfstream. Another colt who might start in July or August. Of those sold in prior sales, Bobby Flay has one, Baffert has one and the Japanese bought a number of Chrome fillies. So the full story of Chrome's stud career has yet to be told.

In the OBS sale, the last three Chrome 2-year-olds to go through the ring sold for $225,000, $725,000 and $125,000. The best ones went last.
tachyon

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:50 am

Haras Porta Pía in Chile offers its 2018 production for on-line auction on August 2nd, including five children of California Chrome.

https://elturf.com/noticias-ver?id_articulo=30972

(photo: Matt Wooley Equisport)
He is an absolute beauty!
CorridorZ75

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:39 pm

BTW, looks like Chrome should have his first runner stateside- Cilla entered in a MSW at Delaware Park on 6/29.
tachyon

Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 am

Tetsu-san visited California Chrome at Arrow Stud today. :D

@Goldship_001
@JS_CompanyJP

and a video clip from JS
https://twitter.com/JS_CompanyJP/status ... 6083644418
Diver52

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:03 pm

On FB"s "California Chrome's Home" they went semi-ballistic over the "injury" to his nose. :roll:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Retrospectiv

Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Diver52 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:03 pm On FB"s "California Chrome's Home" they went semi-ballistic over the "injury" to his nose. :roll:
I'm not sure how they do it, but the amount of crazy on that page still amazes me, even after all this time :roll:
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:50 pm
Diver52 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:03 pm On FB"s "California Chrome's Home" they went semi-ballistic over the "injury" to his nose. :roll:
I'm not sure how they do it, but the amount of crazy on that page still amazes me, even after all this time :roll:
@Tachyon, thank you for posting these recent photos and video of Chrome. It's great to see him getting his cookies.

@Retrospectiv and @Diver52, there is "crazy" all over social media about almost any topic. However, there are other FB pages devoted to Chrome, his offspring at the track and sales, and even one by someone in Japan devoted to Chrome in Japan. These pages are pleasant for the most part and not "crazy," and there is a nice mix of industry insiders, owners of other horse breeds, and just plain fans with little to no knowledge. The constant need by some to defame all fans of California Chrome because of the antics of a few is disheartening, to put it as kindly as possible.
Northport

Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:35 pm

Where did anyone say that all Chrome facebook fans are crazy? Retrospectiv literally said "that page" not "all fans" :roll: And honestly, "Bring Chrome Home/California Chrome's Home" facebook page is pure madness, it's been that way since it started when Chrome went to England for the Summer a few years back.

All of his fans aren't crazy, but the ones who frequent that specific Facebook page are a different breed, and unfortunately they're some of the loudest, and that's probably one of the reasons why the Official Chrome account is now defunct.

But of course there are other pages that are calmer and more reasonable and informative.
weeeeeeeee