Stallion News

Diver52

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:06 pm

I went to Ashford a couple of years ago to see American Pharoah--everyone was pleasant but it was really just AP and they didn't show the other stallions. It may be different now that the AP novelty has worn off (plus, they have Justify to show). I had read earlier that Ashford was not fan friendly--the grooms and tour people didn't seem to enjoy visitors--but that culture, if there was one, may have been changed.

But gosh, what a facility!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
CorridorZ75

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Diver52 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:06 pm I went to Ashford a couple of years ago to see American Pharoah--everyone was pleasant but it was really just AP and they didn't show the other stallions. It may be different now that the AP novelty has worn off (plus, they have Justify to show). I had read earlier that Ashford was not fan friendly--the grooms and tour people didn't seem to enjoy visitors--but that culture, if there was one, may have been changed.

Oh really, we were allowed in just about all the stallions barns and allowed to hang for a time with the stallions in those barns.
Treve

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am

Also let's not forget with the new JC rules limiting book size... the quality of life and amount of breedings he will face will be a lot more reasonable than what the current roster first had to contend with.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:39 am

Treve wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am Also let's not forget with the new JC rules limiting book size... the quality of life and amount of breedings he will face will be a lot more reasonable than what the current roster first had to contend with.
Any stallion born before 2020 can have unlimited books, the rule only goes into effect with new stallions born in 2020 or later.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 am

Treve wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am Also let's not forget with the new JC rules limiting book size... the quality of life and amount of breedings he will face will be a lot more reasonable than what the current roster first had to contend with.
If the JC were interested in seeing these horses running longer, they could reward horses who race as 4 year olds with a bump to their book number. Or would insurance costs for keeping them on the track outweigh the benefit of a bigger book size?
TapitsGal

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 am

Honor AP to lanes end upon retirement
TapitsGal

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:11 am

Honor AP will be joining the ranks of Honor Code and Union Rags at lanes end upon retirement
KatieK101

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 am

I love that Lanes End continues to invest in their own stallion lines. Of course, I’m sure it wasn’t a hard decision to purchase Honor A.P., but now they have City of Light (Quality Road), Catalina Cruiser (Union Rags), and Honor A.P. to represent Honor Code.

It’s just cool to me :)
Slewfan2

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 am

HAP to Lane’s End upon his retirement. We were just discussing that yesterday. I’m so happy it’s LE - it was either them or Claiborne for me. According to Lee Searing, HAP’s owner, along with his wife, he will keep a share in the colt. The only thing I want is that he run as a four year old...The cool thing is that HAP is an outcross to many of the dominant lines, so for mare owners, that’s something to think about.
KatieK101

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 am HAP to Lane’s End upon his retirement. We were just discussing that yesterday. I’m so happy it’s LE - it was either them or Claiborne for me. According to Lee Searing, HAP’s owner, along with his wife, he will keep a share in the colt. The only thing I want is that he run as a four year old...The cool thing is that HAP is an outcross to many of the dominant lines, so for mare owners, that’s something to think about.
Lane’s End doesn’t usually retire their colts at three, at least according to my recent memory. And with Honor Code’s first crops not having many standouts (with the exception of HAP and Max Player), I have a feeling they’ll let him race past three if only for Honor Code’s gain.
Squeaky

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:54 am

Diver52 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:06 pm I went to Ashford a couple of years ago to see American Pharoah--everyone was pleasant but it was really just AP and they didn't show the other stallions. It may be different now that the AP novelty has worn off (plus, they have Justify to show). I had read earlier that Ashford was not fan friendly--the grooms and tour people didn't seem to enjoy visitors--but that culture, if there was one, may have been changed.

My experience about 3-4 years ago was that while they were polite and professional and showed us a few stallions including AP, Giants Causeway and Uncle Mo which was great, we were not allowed to get close to them and they were cool and distant with very short monotone answers when asked questions, and didn’t seem to enjoy interacting at all with visitors. But yes, it is a beautiful facility.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 pm

One thing that I like about Lane's End (and it's partners/shareholders) is that they seem to want stallion prospects who continued on at four and five. The majority of their retirees in recent years were either nominated for Champ Older Male (Tonalist, City of Light, Liam's Map) or won it (Honor Code, Accelerate). There is also Catalina Cruiser, Unified, Connect, etc. who weren't world beaters at 4 but were still successful in stakes.

Also, this is just me but if I did not like interacting with fans and wasn't personable at all then I wouldn't work at a facility that is going to have a lot of them come by, and if I owned the facility and was that way I just wouldn't allow fans at all.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Slewfan2

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:35 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:48 am HAP to Lane’s End upon his retirement. We were just discussing that yesterday. I’m so happy it’s LE - it was either them or Claiborne for me. According to Lee Searing, HAP’s owner, along with his wife, he will keep a share in the colt. The only thing I want is that he run as a four year old...The cool thing is that HAP is an outcross to many of the dominant lines, so for mare owners, that’s something to think about.
Lane’s End doesn’t usually retire their colts at three, at least according to my recent memory. And with Honor Code’s first crops not having many standouts (with the exception of HAP and Max Player), I have a feeling they’ll let him race past three if only for Honor Code’s gain.
Not having many standouts ? I’d say Honor Code’s first crop has two pretty good stand outs - especially considering the wacky racing schedule this year. How many did you expect him to have? He’s also got three stakes placed runners...including a horse on turf who looks to be very good down the line (and he’s good now...Bama Breeze).

It’s the owners who will decide how long HAP will run - and I’m sure he will run as a four year old. You don’t send your horses to John Shirreffs if you expect them to peak at age 3, and this colt has barely tapped into his potential.
Diver52

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:52 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Oh really, we were allowed in just about all the stallions barns and allowed to hang for a time with the stallions in those barns.
Corridor, when was this? I was there for Derby week 2018? Just curious.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Squeaky

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Mylute wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 pm One thing that I like about Lane's End (and it's partners/shareholders) is that they seem to want stallion prospects who continued on at four and five. The majority of their retirees in recent years were either nominated for Champ Older Male (Tonalist, City of Light, Liam's Map) or won it (Honor Code, Accelerate). There is also Catalina Cruiser, Unified, Connect, etc. who weren't world beaters at 4 but were still successful in stakes.

Also, this is just me but if I did not like interacting with fans and wasn't personable at all then I wouldn't work at a facility that is going to have a lot of them come by, and if I owned the facility and was that way I just wouldn't allow fans at all.
I do agree! I think the people they have like horses better than people! Which is fine unless you need to interact with both.
CorridorZ75

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Diver52 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:52 pm

early Feb 2018. By "hang" I meant most of the stallions were in their stalls and, if I recall, were being fed at the time. We were able to go around and take pictures and watch them at our leisure. They certainly weren't rushing us through. I recall having a conversation about Tale of the Cat's allergies with one of tour guides. They did bring AP out at first and I was surprised at how close they allowed people to get to him while taking selfies.

As to Honor A.P. being an outcross, he is a member of the dominant sireline in America over a Nearctic broodmare sireline- granted a less popular one, but also has Storm Cat and Mr Prospector. Not sure there are many outcrosses anymore in TBs. However, one thing I noted was Swaps deep in his tail female line. For a stallion who was good enough, but not extraordinary, especially at getting a stallion son to carry on, it is interesting to me that he is there in the pedigree of so many truly blue hen mares, Ballade, Battle Creek Girl, Fall Aspen, Toussaud, Take Charge Lady, Dream Deal, not to mention Numbered Account.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 pm

Mylute wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:36 pm Interesting...

The Paulick article about Stonewall Prestige's strangles debacle says that "the department allowed seven stallions to be moved to a separate property". This somewhat adds up with Oakton's (Prestige) roster of stallions - Black Onyx, Big Drama, Suntracer, Greatness, Uncle Vinny, and Suns Out Guns Out. They also have really nice confo pics. Website describes Oakton as "Florida's newest operation".

http://stallionsatoaktonfarms.com/

https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... -notified/

Finale would then make seven. Obviously, there's a chance the article's author simply types "seven" when he meant six , but if not, I wonder who the seventh was. This is definitely interesting!

Also, Stonewall's stallions who aren't accounted for are Shades of Night, Lord of Greatness, Telling, Doneraile Court, and Kibbutznik.
Apparently Suns Out Guns Out has been gelded. This is very interesting. Sounds like Oakton is going to be just like Prestige.
https://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/vie ... 2&p=334482
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Slewfan2

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:45 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:49 pm
Diver52 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:52 pm

early Feb 2018. By "hang" I meant most of the stallions were in their stalls and, if I recall, were being fed at the time. We were able to go around and take pictures and watch them at our leisure. They certainly weren't rushing us through. I recall having a conversation about Tale of the Cat's allergies with one of tour guides. They did bring AP out at first and I was surprised at how close they allowed people to get to him while taking selfies.

As to Honor A.P. being an outcross, he is a member of the dominant sireline in America over a Nearctic broodmare sireline- granted a less popular one, but also has Storm Cat and Mr Prospector. Not sure there are many outcrosses anymore in TBs. However, one thing I noted was Swaps deep in his tail female line. For a stallion who was good enough, but not extraordinary, especially at getting a stallion son to carry on, it is interesting to me that he is there in the pedigree of so many truly blue hen mares, Ballade, Battle Creek Girl, Fall Aspen, Toussaud, Take Charge Lady, Dream Deal, not to mention Numbered Account.
True, but I was thinking of his dam's side, which doesn't have any Mr. P blood.......which is unusual today, it seems.
Diver52

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Hmm. I suspect Derby week was more crowded. When we arrived, the stallions were still in their paddocks out of sight and we had to hang around the office watching a fairly interminable video of AP's career. We were able to get right up close to AP for photos--they brought him out front-- but I wonder if there wasn't another tour group scheduled so we couldn't wander. I think we got glimpses of Cupid and Uncle Mo as they were put up but that was about it.
Green Desert

Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Mylute wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:31 pm
Mylute wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:36 pm Interesting...

The Paulick article about Stonewall Prestige's strangles debacle says that "the department allowed seven stallions to be moved to a separate property". This somewhat adds up with Oakton's (Prestige) roster of stallions - Black Onyx, Big Drama, Suntracer, Greatness, Uncle Vinny, and Suns Out Guns Out. They also have really nice confo pics. Website describes Oakton as "Florida's newest operation".

http://stallionsatoaktonfarms.com/

https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... -notified/

Finale would then make seven. Obviously, there's a chance the article's author simply types "seven" when he meant six , but if not, I wonder who the seventh was. This is definitely interesting!

Also, Stonewall's stallions who aren't accounted for are Shades of Night, Lord of Greatness, Telling, Doneraile Court, and Kibbutznik.
Apparently Suns Out Guns Out has been gelded. This is very interesting. Sounds like Oakton is going to be just like Prestige.
https://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/vie ... 2&p=334482
Isn't Donerail Court at Old Friends?
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ld-friends