Arrogate has passed away...

TapitsGal

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 am

Flanders wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:23 pm
Starine wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 pm But back to Arrogate: What a terrible loss. Though his final few starts were uninspiring, you couldn't deny his brilliance in his brief but shining career that included tremendous efforts in the Travers, Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup. Besides Songbird, can anyone name some of the more prominent broodmares and racemares he was bred to during his brief tenure at stud?
https://www.juddmonte.com/us/stallions/ ... lings.aspx

That's his full yearling list.
Wow lots of mares that were racing favorites over the years on that list... especially loved bsharpsonata and coffee clique
Private Thoughts

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Local Lexington channel said Bob Baffert was brought to tears when told about Arrogates passing.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 pm Local Lexington channel said Bob Baffert was brought to tears when told about Arrogates passing.
I was never a big fan of Arrogate but it's so weird knowing that he is gone now.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Diver52

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 pm Local Lexington channel said Bob Baffert was brought to tears when told about Arrogates passing.
I know many think BB is a heartless abuser, but I remember years ago his 2yo What a Song (owned by the Lewises) broke down in the a.m. and was euthanized. TVG interviewed him in the afternoon about a horse he had running and the interviewer expressed condolences about the colt. Baffert teared up, mumbled "I'm sorry, I can't talk about it" and walked away.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Starine

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Thanks for the list, WB and Flanders. Hopefully he left some good ones behind.
Ziggypop

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:08 am

There has not been any word as to what led to Arrogate’s death, that I have seen. Did I miss it?
TapitsGal

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:14 am

Diver52 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:15 pm
I know many think BB is a heartless abuser, but I remember years ago his 2yo What a Song (owned by the Lewises) broke down in the a.m. and was euthanized. TVG interviewed him in the afternoon about a horse he had running and the interviewer expressed condolences about the colt. Baffert teared up, mumbled "I'm sorry, I can't talk about it" and walked away.
I posted a comment on paulick report saying that Baffert must have been devestated at losing Arrogate and somebody replied to me "doesn't matter...the horse hasn't been in his barn for years..why would he care" and my response was it doesn't matter HOW long it's been since he had the horse. Baffert still saw the horse daily,loved him, had a connection with him, and the horse took Baffert on a journey and gave him incredible memories...he's going to mourn that loss...I know I would.doesnt Matter if you haven't seen a horse in one year, five years or twenty there's always going to be a connection
CorridorZ75

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:25 pm

Ziggypop wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:08 am There has not been any word as to what led to Arrogate’s death, that I have seen. Did I miss it?
Full necropsy reports can often take well over a month to return. And honestly, if it ends up being something that might have a genetic component to it, you may never see an acknowledgement...or at least not until all his current crops have made it through the sales rings.
barbaro111

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:52 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:25 pm
Ziggypop wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:08 am There has not been any word as to what led to Arrogate’s death, that I have seen. Did I miss it?
Full necropsy reports can often take well over a month to return. And honestly, if it ends up being something that might have a genetic component to it, you may never see an acknowledgement...or at least not until all his current crops have made it through the sales rings.
Any news about the necropsy? I think about Arrogate quite often with great sorrow- a star crossed horse-- it is so heartbreaking to lose him
so darn young- he was a gorgeous creature with a breath taking amount of natural talent.
Squeaky

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:50 pm

None that I know of- wondering if it was EPM or done type of wobblers. Wondering if had anything to do with him going so off form after Dubai...one wonders- I miss him he was a great horse.
TapitsGal

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:10 am

I read on several other sites where breeders commented saying they'd heard he had been paralyzed somehow
Retrospectiv

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Bit of an update - spinal cord lesion:
Seeing the talent underscores the magnitude of the loss Juddmonte suffered earlier this year when Arrogate, a 7-year-old son of Unbridled's Song, was euthanized June 2 after incurring a neurological injury to his spinal cord.

"He had a core lesion in his spinal cord that basically rendered him a quadriplegic," said O'Rourke. "We don't know exactly how it occurred. He didn't have a fall or major accident that was obvious to have caused it, other than he was a horse that was always rearing and bucking and playing about. Some kind of whiplash effect might have caused what was more than a million-to-one shot, more like a 20-million-to-one shot."

O'Rourke said the stallion started to show signs of trouble one morning after covering a mare. Two days later, he collapsed in his stall.

"He was standing in his stall and shook himself a few times early one morning, we have it on the security camera, and then just collapsed and never got up again. It wasn't until the postmortem that we discovered his spinal cord had a lesion that would not have repaired. It was heartbreaking," he said.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
FlyToTheStars

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:57 pm Bit of an update - spinal cord lesion:
Seeing the talent underscores the magnitude of the loss Juddmonte suffered earlier this year when Arrogate, a 7-year-old son of Unbridled's Song, was euthanized June 2 after incurring a neurological injury to his spinal cord.

"He had a core lesion in his spinal cord that basically rendered him a quadriplegic," said O'Rourke. "We don't know exactly how it occurred. He didn't have a fall or major accident that was obvious to have caused it, other than he was a horse that was always rearing and bucking and playing about. Some kind of whiplash effect might have caused what was more than a million-to-one shot, more like a 20-million-to-one shot."

O'Rourke said the stallion started to show signs of trouble one morning after covering a mare. Two days later, he collapsed in his stall.

"He was standing in his stall and shook himself a few times early one morning, we have it on the security camera, and then just collapsed and never got up again. It wasn't until the postmortem that we discovered his spinal cord had a lesion that would not have repaired. It was heartbreaking," he said.

Was about to post this.. so heartbreaking. We will never know what caused the lesion
Northport

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:09 pm

My first guess would be he got cast in his stall, but they would have seen that on the surveillance footage in the barn. Really horrible luck, but a bit of a consolation that it doesn't appear to be a genetic issue that could scare off breeders or buyers from giving his progeny a chance.

Whether it's a backyard pony living in a muddy paddock with a lean-to, or a priceless Thoroughbred stallion at one of the top 3 farms in the world, you really would need to cover them in bubble wrap to keep horses from hurting themselves.
weeeeeeeee
Honor Code

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Part of me wonders how true it is, what with sales and all.

Article link :

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... y-arrogate
CorridorZ75

Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:29 pm

Love how the mare and her family apparently have nothing to do with them. :roll:
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:37 pm

I wonder whether Bloodhorse has 'furloughed' all its copy editors.
"...those that have physiques indicating more preciousness and speed that favors the stallion's broodmare sire..."
Preciousness? Who wrote this...Gollum?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they meant 'precociousness,' although I prefer 'precocity' over that mouthful. :roll: :P
Flanders

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Though she is an out from Keeneland, you can see the Arrogate - Songbird filly here:
https://vimeo.com/453630045
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:51 pm

What could have happened too is that he cracked his vertebrae or injured himself much earlier. Then when he shook, something got lose, shifted... and he compressed his spinal cord. There's been people who run around with broken necks too.

I'm just really, really wondering how they couldn't detect this while he was at the clinic. No MRI? I'm actually wondering how he didn't get into shock and everything that's related to a SCI. They kept him alive for 4 days with that? Holy... Only reason I can think of is that the cord wasn't completely severed, so they were hoping for the swelling to go down and that he can use his limbs again?

Don't get me wrong - I am SURE there were plenty of reasons why things happened the way they did. I have no doubt they did everything right. The simple explanation just made me wonder, but that was probably so people can understand it easily.
Flanders

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:05 pm

Kurenai wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:51 pm What could have happened too is that he cracked his vertebrae or injured himself much earlier. Then when he shook, something got lose, shifted... and he compressed his spinal cord. There's been people who run around with broken necks too.

I'm just really, really wondering how they couldn't detect this while he was at the clinic. No MRI? I'm actually wondering how he didn't get into shock and everything that's related to a SCI. They kept him alive for 4 days with that? Holy... Only reason I can think of is that the cord wasn't completely severed, so they were hoping for the swelling to go down and that he can use his limbs again?

Don't get me wrong - I am SURE there were plenty of reasons why things happened the way they did. I have no doubt they did everything right. The simple explanation just made me wonder, but that was probably so people can understand it easily.
When he was euthanized in June, the article made it seem like they had exhausted all testing to try and find the cause and honestly had no idea what was making him unable to stand.

They said they noticed he was acting like he had a sore neck a week before so they stopped breeding him. He could have fell hard in his paddock. Does it take a week for symptoms to present to a point he couldn't stand? Or did he maybe get unsteady on his legs and fall in his stall? They did say he went down in his stall and never got up again. Did that fall possibly cause the rest of the damage? I mean we'll never know its just speculation.