Arrogate has passed away...

KatieK101

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 pm

I know this was already mentioned in the stallions thread, but I figure this is a big enough topic to warrant its own thread. 2020 just keeps getting worse and worse, and what a spectacular loss this is...

Horse Racing Nation : https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... _age_7_123

Paulick Report : https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... -at-age-7/

It's a small condolence that he was bred to so many outstanding mares during his time. I really hope that Songbird foal becomes something special.
Last edited by KatieK101 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:28 pm

I wonder how long the neck issue had been going on.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Ziggypop

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:28 pm I wonder how long the neck issue had been going on.
They stopped using him for breeding him last week because of his neck.
Slewfan2

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Poor thing. I wonder if he had Wobbler syndrome..
WarBiscuit

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:49 pm

What terrible news. Must have been in considerable distress in not being able to rise for some days. RIP Champ. You thrilled us all.

WarBIscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
DawnStorm

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:40 pm Poor thing. I wonder if he had Wobbler syndrome..
Horses can get that too?! I lost my second Doberman to Wobblers.
What is a mere individual to do? Live as sane and decent a life as you can, love your family and friends and understand that everybody is in this together.
--Ron Smith aka The Voice of Reason
Northport

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm

From Juddmonte’s website:
It is with great sadness that Juddmonte confirms that ARROGATE was euthanized this morning, after a battle to save him after an illness that began last week. It is still unclear what the illness was and a post-mortem is currently being carried out.

ARROGATE had a very successful breeding season this year until last week when his breeding was suspended due to an initial suspected sore neck. Later in the week he fell to the ground in his stall and efforts to get him back up proved unsuccessful. He was transported to the Hagyard Clinic under the care of Dr. Bob Hunt and Dr. Nathan Slovis with Dr. Steve Reed representing the insurance company.

They worked tirelessly with the staff from the Hagyard Clinic eliminating all the obvious causes and performing all available tests, including spinal tap evaluation, x-ray, ultrasound, CT Scan and many blood tests.

Unfortunately, ARROGATE was still unable to stand after four exhausting days for him. His will to fight, so valuable to him on the racetrack, became a challenge in his care. When serious secondary health issues set in, the decision was made to put him to sleep.

Douglas Erskine Crum, CEO Juddmonte Group said:

“This is very hard on everyone at Juddmonte, most especially on Steve Dotsey, Stallion Manager, and Jorge Chavarria who cared for ARROGATE daily and who had such a great rapport with him. It was a bold decision to ask Bob Baffert to purchase and train top dirt horses for Prince Khalid and, assisted by Donato Lanni, the selection of ARROGATE was one of the success stories of the decade on the racetrack. ARROGATE has bred three crops at stud, has his first yearlings to present to sales this year and his physical and personality traits are passing very strongly to his offspring.”

Garrett O’Rourke, General Manager Juddmonte USA said:

“We will never forget the ride ARROGATE took us on. Those four amazing races established him as one of the great racehorses of our time, breaking two track records, taking down champion California Chrome in a battle for the ages and then running by Gun Runner in another worldly performance in Dubai. We hope that the heartbreak of losing him so young can be soothed by proudly watching the achievement of his runners.”
He was unable to stand during his final four days. Poor boy. So sorry to connections and the team at Hagyard who tried to save him.

I doubt it was wobblers. Wonder if it was a bad case of EPM?
weeeeeeeee
TapitsGal

Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:51 pm

I too wondered if he developed either a severe case of wobblers or EPM also came to mind. But being unable to stand for four days sounds horrific for the horse. And it sounds like he may not have been the easiest patient to deal with. They made a comment about his tenacity and stubbornness that was such an asset on the track made it a bit difficult to care for him
CorridorZ75

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:06 pm

I don't know what it is , but as good of horses as it puts out, there is some bad genetic juju in that Fappiano line. So many of the stallions die young or in middle age. Quiet American, ironically one with some close inbreeding, is the only one I can think to make it past early 20s, although I am sure there are others.
Last edited by CorridorZ75 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Racing Post has summed it up very well: "Premature death of Arrogate leaves an almighty hole in Juddmonte's US roster"
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... ter/435814

They now just have Mizzen Mast in the USA. Mizzen Mast has been pretty successful I would say, but is not at all commercial, and is now 22. Their Euro roster is much stronger.

Also, @Corridor, Cryptoclearance (a direct son of Fappiano) lived until 25. He colicked.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
starrydreamer

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:28 pm

Oh wow, this is unexpected news. It sounds like his last days were painful, too, if he couldn't stand. This smashes a really big hole in Juddmonte's US stud... I didn't realize they were standing only him and Mizzen Mast over here.
Northport

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:30 pm

I was surprised that they didn’t stand Flintshire or even Noble Mission themselves in the US. I guess they have Tacitus to look forward to, hopefully he can get one or two G1s this year.
weeeeeeeee
Izvestia

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:52 pm

This is heartbreaking. Poor big horse, he was such an unbelievable force.
RIP Arrogate
Slewfan2

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:03 pm

DawnStorm wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:19 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:40 pm Poor thing. I wonder if he had Wobbler syndrome..
Horses can get that too?! I lost my second Doberman to Wobblers.
Yes, Seattle Slew developed that late in life.

I’m so sorry about your puppy ...
Private Thoughts

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 pm

Didn’t Empire Maker pass this year of something very similar to this?
Flanders

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:53 pm

Such a shame to lose a horse that young. Its just troubling that they ran that many tests and didn't find an answer. Hopefully the necropsy finds the answer to what happened to him.
Flanders

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:00 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:42 pm Didn’t Empire Maker pass this year of something very similar to this?
Empire Maker died from an immune disorder. https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... ire-maker/
Starine

Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 pm

I'll get the off-topic part out of the way: Since Mizzen Mast was brought up -- I have always liked him as a versatile and fecund stallion though he's always been underappreciated. Sad to think once he passes Juddmonte won't have a U.S. representative at stud.

But back to Arrogate: What a terrible loss. Though his final few starts were uninspiring, you couldn't deny his brilliance in his brief but shining career that included tremendous efforts in the Travers, Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup. Besides Songbird, can anyone name some of the more prominent broodmares and racemares he was bred to during his brief tenure at stud?
WarBiscuit

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Starine wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 pm I'll get the off-topic part out of the way: Since Mizzen Mast was brought up -- I have always liked him as a versatile and fecund stallion though he's always been underappreciated. Sad to think once he passes Juddmonte won't have a U.S. representative at stud.

But back to Arrogate: What a terrible loss. Though his final few starts were uninspiring, you couldn't deny his brilliance in his brief but shining career that included tremendous efforts in the Travers, Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup. Besides Songbird, can anyone name some of the more prominent broodmares and racemares he was bred to during his brief tenure at stud?
Plum Pretty, Paulassilverlining, She Be Wild, Centre Court and Lady of Fifty, to name a few.

WarBIscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Flanders

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Starine wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 pm But back to Arrogate: What a terrible loss. Though his final few starts were uninspiring, you couldn't deny his brilliance in his brief but shining career that included tremendous efforts in the Travers, Breeders' Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup. Besides Songbird, can anyone name some of the more prominent broodmares and racemares he was bred to during his brief tenure at stud?
https://www.juddmonte.com/us/stallions/ ... lings.aspx

That's his full yearling list.