Clever Names for horses

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 pm

Donnie Brasco (Paynter x Tinseltown) just won at Tampa Bay Downs.

Rufio (Hold Me Back x Wendy My Girl) is unraced but available on Equine Now.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
sweettalk

Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 am

Mylute wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:46 pm Donnie Brasco (Paynter x Tinseltown) just won at Tampa Bay Downs.

Rufio (Hold Me Back x Wendy My Girl) is unraced but available on Equine Now.
rufio went on to voice Zuko in the (animated, non-hot-garbage version) of avatar the last airbender.

that man can do no wrong, being both rufio AND zuko.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 pm

rufio went on to voice Zuko in the (animated, non-hot-garbage version) of avatar the last airbender.

After spending years loving the animated The Last Airbender, I was excited that there was live-action movie.
Disappointed is putting it mildly. 'Garbage' is apt.
BTW, did anyone else "ship" Zuko and Katara? ;) 8-)
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 pm

I loved ATLA when I was little but I didn't really ship anyway that I can remember. I rarely "ship" anything that is non-canon lol.

I couldn't watch Korra because it was just too different for me. Like we went from ancient Asia to suddenly having movie theatres and stuff lol.

Also I did not know that about Rufio and Zuko. I can hear the voices in my head now.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
RugbyGirl

Thu May 28, 2020 1:39 am

Currently for sale on a online auction. No name yet but the potential is awesome
1f by Highly Recommended out of Howbaddouneedit (Howbadouwantit)
https://plus.gavelhouse.com/lot/35/unnamed
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
sweettalk

Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 pm BTW, did anyone else "ship" Zuko and Katara? ;) 8-)
I HAVE MANY NOVELS SUPPORTING THIS. IT WOULD BE UNWISE TO GET ME STARTED.
Mylute

Fri May 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Seven Nation Army c. First Samurai x Chick Fight
TapitsGal

Fri May 29, 2020 10:21 pm

Not a thoroughbred but my friend's mare Anime foaled a colt two nights ago she's named Aerial Graffiti...the sire is Spy Coasts Cyklon 1083. She's nicknamed the foal Pan. He's a chestnut with a blaze and four socks. Mom is a grey. Idk how to link the pic but he looks to me like he's going to gray out
Mylute

Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Scathing c. Trusting x Critical Angel (AUS)
Subpoenaed f. Rip Van Winkle x Notice Received (NZ)
stark

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am

excerpt from today's LATimes newsletter....

But in the meantime, the New York Racing Assn. put out a release about the highly anticipated debut of a 2-year-old called … drum roll … Fauci. Yes, you knew it was only a matter of time before coronavirus names made its way into racing.
Before you get too excited, according to The Jockey Club, the name Social Distancing is also on reserve so you can’t have it.
About a month ago there was a brilliant race call of the mythical Coronavirus Stakes that was making its way around. I would link to it, but it ends with an inappropriate word for media outlets. (Now, my editor, Houston Mitchell, could deem it appropriate and add a link, or he could just be labeled a big prude.) (Note from Houston: No one calls me a prude and gets away with it. Besides, it’s hilarious. Here’s the link).
Anyway, it’s a voice over of a race at Pimlico about a year or so ago. You have to suspend reality as you realize that the race caller mentions more names than there are horses in the race. Besides (Dr.) Fauci and Social Distancing, you’ll find horses such as Global Pandemic, Flatten the Curve, Stimulus Plan, PPE, It’s Just a Little Flu, and it goes on.
Fact of the matter is that one of the toughest things a horse owner has to do—besides paying all the bills—is naming their horse. A lot take the easy way out and use some combination of the sire and dam’s name.
And then, if you’re a big-time owner with lots of horses, you’ll just grab at anything. Let’s say I’ll Have Another would not have scratched out of the Belmont and become the first Triple Crown winner in decades. Owner Paul Reddam would have had to keep telling the story about this legendary horse being named after him asking for more cookies while eating them on his couch.
There is also the case of Bob Baffert, whose dear friend Brad McKinzie had died and wanted to immortalize the name in a horse, with the blessing of the owners. Well, as is often the case, Bob made the right choice with naming this one horse McKinzie, who has had a really good career but was injured in his 3-year-old season and happened to be running the same time as Justify. He’s still around at a top level.
As for Fauci, his owners are Lindy Farms and Ice Wine Stables (Dave Reid and Frank Antonacci).
“Phillip Antonacci (Frank’s son) purchased the horse at Keeneland,” trainer Wesley Ward told NYRA media relations. “Being of Italian-American descent, and for all the great work that Dr. [Anthony] Fauci’s done, they wanted to find a horse, especially in this time, that they could give a high-profile name to and this is the one.”
You need to remember that horses aren’t named at birth and it can be a couple years before they get a name, which is why Fauci could be named right now. Imagine if you didn’t have to name your son or daughter until their first job and spent those years calling them, “Hey, you,” or “Buddy” or “Little Princess.” (I think my editor Houston called his youngest Hannah that until she was 8.)
Imagine how difficult it would be for teachers taking attendance. Or if you got a driver’s license before your first job and you still didn’t have a name.
Fauci, the horse, goes in the third race of Wednesday’s opening day card at Belmont. He had a bullet four-furlong work against 49 others at Keeneland on May 22. He was a $125,000 purchase at a Keeneland sale as a yearling.
Also, be mindful that if a horse is named after a living person that the person has to give permission. I’m sure that Dr. Fauci never thought it was a form he would have to sign. Pandemic, maybe. Horse named after him, never.
You wonder if Craig Fravel, top racing executive at The Stronach Group, would have allowed his named to be used on Fravel, a horse that hasn’t won in six tries. Of course, this horse will always be remembered for calling attention to conflicts of interest on the CHRB. It had nothing to do with Craig but with the ownership group. Forgot? Just click here.
Has the top to this newsletter ever gone in so many different directions? Yeah, probably.
One thing we can be sure of, Fauci will be way over-bet.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
TapitsGal

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:42 am

stark wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 am excerpt from today's LATimes newsletter....

But in the meantime, the New York Racing Assn. put out a release about the highly anticipated debut of a 2-year-old called … drum roll … Fauci. Yes, you knew it was only a matter of time before coronavirus names made its way into racing.
Before you get too excited, according to The Jockey Club, the name Social Distancing is also on reserve so you can’t have it.
About a month ago there was a brilliant race call of the mythical Coronavirus Stakes that was making its way around. I would link to it, but it ends with an inappropriate word for media outlets. (Now, my editor, Houston Mitchell, could deem it appropriate and add a link, or he could just be labeled a big prude.) (Note from Houston: No one calls me a prude and gets away with it. Besides, it’s hilarious. Here’s the link).
Anyway, it’s a voice over of a race at Pimlico about a year or so ago. You have to suspend reality as you realize that the race caller mentions more names than there are horses in the race. Besides (Dr.) Fauci and Social Distancing, you’ll find horses such as Global Pandemic, Flatten the Curve, Stimulus Plan, PPE, It’s Just a Little Flu, and it goes on.
Fact of the matter is that one of the toughest things a horse owner has to do—besides paying all the bills—is naming their horse. A lot take the easy way out and use some combination of the sire and dam’s name.
And then, if you’re a big-time owner with lots of horses, you’ll just grab at anything. Let’s say I’ll Have Another would not have scratched out of the Belmont and become the first Triple Crown winner in decades. Owner Paul Reddam would have had to keep telling the story about this legendary horse being named after him asking for more cookies while eating them on his couch.
There is also the case of Bob Baffert, whose dear friend Brad McKinzie had died and wanted to immortalize the name in a horse, with the blessing of the owners. Well, as is often the case, Bob made the right choice with naming this one horse McKinzie, who has had a really good career but was injured in his 3-year-old season and happened to be running the same time as Justify. He’s still around at a top level.
As for Fauci, his owners are Lindy Farms and Ice Wine Stables (Dave Reid and Frank Antonacci).
“Phillip Antonacci (Frank’s son) purchased the horse at Keeneland,” trainer Wesley Ward told NYRA media relations. “Being of Italian-American descent, and for all the great work that Dr. [Anthony] Fauci’s done, they wanted to find a horse, especially in this time, that they could give a high-profile name to and this is the one.”
You need to remember that horses aren’t named at birth and it can be a couple years before they get a name, which is why Fauci could be named right now. Imagine if you didn’t have to name your son or daughter until their first job and spent those years calling them, “Hey, you,” or “Buddy” or “Little Princess.” (I think my editor Houston called his youngest Hannah that until she was 8.)
Imagine how difficult it would be for teachers taking attendance. Or if you got a driver’s license before your first job and you still didn’t have a name.
Fauci, the horse, goes in the third race of Wednesday’s opening day card at Belmont. He had a bullet four-furlong work against 49 others at Keeneland on May 22. He was a $125,000 purchase at a Keeneland sale as a yearling.
Also, be mindful that if a horse is named after a living person that the person has to give permission. I’m sure that Dr. Fauci never thought it was a form he would have to sign. Pandemic, maybe. Horse named after him, never.
You wonder if Craig Fravel, top racing executive at The Stronach Group, would have allowed his named to be used on Fravel, a horse that hasn’t won in six tries. Of course, this horse will always be remembered for calling attention to conflicts of interest on the CHRB. It had nothing to do with Craig but with the ownership group. Forgot? Just click here.
Has the top to this newsletter ever gone in so many different directions? Yeah, probably.
One thing we can be sure of, Fauci will be way over-bet.
I just wanna see if the announcer can get Fauci name right without butchering it to badly
Mylute

Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Doctor Strange c. Adaay x Mystic Jade
Mylute

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:12 pm

Dubious c. Not A Single Doubt x Suspicieuse
Mylute

Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:31 pm

Grapevine f. Flatter x Rumor
Mylute

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:09 pm

Snicket f. Lemon Drop Kid x Ever So Pretty
stark

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:13 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:09 pm Snicket f. Lemon Drop Kid x Ever So Pretty
Mylute wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:31 pm Grapevine f. Flatter x Rumor
Some (most) of these are so clever they just zoom over my head, any chance you can provide a brief explanation, thanks.
Northport

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:19 pm

Lemony Snicket is the pen name of a well known children's/young adult author Daniel Handler, writer of A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Grapevine:
To hear something through the grapevine is to learn of something informally and unofficially by means of gossip or rumor. The usual implication is that the information was passed person to person by word of mouth, perhaps in a confidential manner among friends or colleagues.
weeeeeeeee
stark

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Most appreciated Northport!!! :D
Diver52

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:35 pm

Stark, please don't tell me you never heard any of the versions of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine!" :lol:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Diver52 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:35 pm Stark, please don't tell me you never heard any of the versions of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine!" :lol:
Vague recollection of some dancing raisins ;)

That or getting stuck in the snow in Gorman.