Stallion News

Ridan_Remembered

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:39 pm
Summer Bird wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 pm Looks like the official California Chrome Facebook page is shutting down. Seems like the crazy side of Chrome’s fans ruined it for everyone, and yes the page is run by the Martins. It seems like they’re sick of getting attacked for anything that happens with Chrome and I don’t blame them.
I mean the crazy side of fans ruins everything. People cry when owners don't share information about their horses but its damned if they do and damned if they don't. I follow a woman who gallops thoroughbreds at a track in Canada and she retrains OTTBs for new careers. One of her horses was diagnosed with EPM and people are blaming EPM on the horse having raced. Others are damning her for not euthanizing the horse now, the horse was just diagnosed on her vet is trying to help him recover from EPM. They also damned her for taking a foal away from its dam when the mare tried to kill it. Everyone has to have their opinion about everything and guess what? The owners/connections of horses don't give a crap what the "fans" opinion is. They don't know better than the connections and their vets on any subject. "Fans" can't expect to act like asshats and get information from connections. Its like when Rachel got sick and the idiots were calling the freaking clinic she was at. That isn't acceptable behavior.
Actually, the internet seems to bring out the worst in some people no matter what the topic. There are trolls and just plain nasty individuals wherever the public can post. Bloodhorse.com shut down almost all their public comments sections because of the nastiness. Look at popular YouTube channels from makeup to music and everything in between, you'll find nastiness. Our politics have become impossible.

I said it the first day Chrome's sale was announced...personally I'm glad he's in Japan. I think he is safer there than here in the U.S. The Japanese still understand the concept of honor. And for that, I honor them.
lurkey mclurker

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:25 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 am
Can't agree with you on the last statement because any stallion farm would want a decent amount of flesh on their stallion at the start of breeding season. When you are breeding upwards of a 100-200 mares per season, it does take a lot out of the stallion. They don't want them fat, but they also want some wiggle room.

I am happy he seems to be on the road to recovery. However, I am not sure I would call any enteritis something to not be worried about because any instance of it can trigger a secondary laminitis. Not to mention, from a stallion manager perspective, if he had a fever, it could also affect the viability of the sperm which is another reason they might be postponing his breeding season start.
Ah good points about the stallion/breeding perspective :mrgreen: (and the possibility of potential secondary laminitis :? ), as I have absolutely no experience in that area.

I just thought, weight-wise, that he looked great when he moved over to Arrow from quarantine and since I didn't ever see a specific number as to exactly how much weight he lost, it didn't seem like it could have been that significant.
Summer Bird

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 pm

Summer Bird wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 pm Looks like the official California Chrome Facebook page is shutting down. Seems like the crazy side of Chrome’s fans ruined it for everyone, and yes the page is run by the Martins. It seems like they’re sick of getting attacked for anything that happens with Chrome and I don’t blame them.
I mean the crazy side of fans ruins everything. People cry when owners don't share information about their horses but its damned if they do and damned if they don't. I follow a woman who gallops thoroughbreds at a track in Canada and she retrains OTTBs for new careers. One of her horses was diagnosed with EPM and people are blaming EPM on the horse having raced. Others are damning her for not euthanizing the horse now, the horse was just diagnosed on her vet is trying to help him recover from EPM. They also damned her for taking a foal away from its dam when the mare tried to kill it. Everyone has to have their opinion about everything and guess what? The owners/connections of horses don't give a crap what the "fans" opinion is. They don't know better than the connections and their vets on any subject. "Fans" can't expect to act like asshats and get information from connections. Its like when Rachel got sick and the idiots were calling the freaking clinic she was at. That isn't acceptable behavior.
People on the internet are the worst. We’ll be lucky if farms keep their social media pages running with all the crazies out there attacking them for everything. Yesterday Fox Hill Farm got attacked for a post they made. It was about how one of their horses was claimed from them because it wasn’t the horse they thought it would be. Yes could have worded it a bit better, but people should know by now that Fox Hill is very serious when it comes to the aftercare of Thoroughbreds.
lurkey mclurker

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 pm

(I follow her on YouTube tooooooo :mrgreen: )
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:27 am

Speaking of stallion news, Country House has been retired. I didn't know of his physical problems and laminitis since the Derby. Poor guy. I hope he fully recovers. As far as a stallion career is concerned, if I owned mares I wouldn't breed to him.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -laminitis
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am

IIRC he took time off because of an ankle issue or a bone chip (?, I'm likely confusing him with another horse). Maybe some other stuff happened where he was vacay-ing at. It's so terribly easy for this stuff to happen.

Regardless of the drama I thought CH was a nice horse on the improve who ran a really great race at those odds in the Derby. I thought he'd get better with maturity like another Lookin At Lucky did a couple years ago.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:50 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:27 am Speaking of stallion news, Country House has been retired. I didn't know of his physical problems and laminitis since the Derby. Poor guy. I hope he fully recovers. As far as a stallion career is concerned, if I owned mares I wouldn't breed to him.

They never said there was anything wrong with him except a cough. I've linked the article from Bloodhorse when they announced in June he was getting time off and wouldn't race the rest of the year.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... od-stables
KatieK101

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am Regardless of the drama I thought CH was a nice horse on the improve who ran a really great race at those odds in the Derby. I thought he'd get better with maturity like another Lookin At Lucky did a couple years ago.
Agreed. I noticed a stud deal hasn't been announced... I wonder how much interest there's been in him. He's legally a Kentucky Derby winner, and Lookin At Lucky had a great year in 2018 with Accelerate and Wow Cat. Country House doesn't have the prettiest resume, but it's prettier than other recent stallions (Solomini).
Flanders

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:26 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:22 pm
Mylute wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:53 am Regardless of the drama I thought CH was a nice horse on the improve who ran a really great race at those odds in the Derby. I thought he'd get better with maturity like another Lookin At Lucky did a couple years ago.
Agreed. I noticed a stud deal hasn't been announced... I wonder how much interest there's been in him. He's legally a Kentucky Derby winner, and Lookin At Lucky had a great year in 2018 with Accelerate and Wow Cat. Country House doesn't have the prettiest resume, but it's prettier than other recent stallions (Solomini).
I would assume they didn't try for a stud deal yet because he isn't recovered enough to stand at stud. They'll probably let him recover in 2020 and try for a stud deal for 2021.
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:50 am
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:27 am Speaking of stallion news, Country House has been retired. I didn't know of his physical problems and laminitis since the Derby. Poor guy. I hope he fully recovers. As far as a stallion career is concerned, if I owned mares I wouldn't breed to him.

They never said there was anything wrong with him except a cough.
From the Bloodhorse.com article announcing his retirement:

In a statement distributed Feb. 14 by Guinness McFadden's Blackwood Stables, Country House had several ailments last summer that led to laminitis, necessitating the end of his racing career. He was initially examined by Dr. Larry Bramlage at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in late June.

Country House was "diagnosed with proximal suspensory ligament desmitis on both front fetlocks," read the Blackwood statement. "Country House experienced complications and was readmitted to Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital on July 1, where he was treated for a right front lower leg infection.
Flanders

Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:27 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:21 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:50 am

They never said there was anything wrong with him except a cough.
From the Bloodhorse.com article announcing his retirement:

In a statement distributed Feb. 14 by Guinness McFadden's Blackwood Stables, Country House had several ailments last summer that led to laminitis, necessitating the end of his racing career. He was initially examined by Dr. Larry Bramlage at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital in late June.

Country House was "diagnosed with proximal suspensory ligament desmitis on both front fetlocks," read the Blackwood statement. "Country House experienced complications and was readmitted to Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital on July 1, where he was treated for a right front lower leg infection.
Yeah I meant until his retirement announcement they had never made it known that he had laminitis or any other issues except the cough.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:26 pm
I would assume they didn't try for a stud deal yet because he isn't recovered enough to stand at stud. They'll probably let him recover in 2020 and try for a stud deal for 2021.
So the little bit of reading I just did about proximal suspensory desmitis indicates it can, in some cases, become a chronic and/or degenerative thing - I hope he returns to 100% but he's certainly had a run of bad luck so far... :?
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:29 am

This is an interesting video from Racing Post about the Route des Etalons 2020 (Stallion Route) in Normandy, France. It shows a lot of stallions while Racing Post's James Thomas and Scott Burton discuss which stallions caught their eye and give their assessment of the state of the bloodstock industry in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:22 am

Millionaire Dynamic Sky, By Sky Mesa, Moves To WorkWize Farm In Alberta
https://canadianthoroughbred.com/horse- ... m-alberta/
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute

Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Paynter got 3 stakes winners this weekend- Queen of God in the Mrs. Presidentress S., Ring Leader in the Dixie Belle S., and Scarto in the American Fabius S.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Buncha vid clips & stuff from Japan:

Creator being exercised under saddle
https://twitter.com/yusas/status/1229258845928620032

Animal Kingdom having fun in his paddock, being walked under saddle
https://twitter.com/yusas/status/1228614058657513472
https://twitter.com/yusas/status/1227815132308205568

Shanghai Bobby chillin'
https://twitter.com/KeibaKate/status/12 ... 1967432707
Melissa Bauer-Herzog - Pyrois Media @mbauerherzog

Declaration of War continues to look like the best semi-proven stallion Japan has imported in a long time. Silver Prospector is his second stakes winner of the weekend and one of 19 SWnrs (11 GSWnrs) since Jan 1, 2019 - his first year in Japan.
photo via @bloodhorse
Mylute

Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:46 am

Mylute

Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 pm

Suntracer Rescued and Returned to Kentucky
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... o-kentucky

~ Not really a fan of the term "rescue" as it appears as though Suntracer was not in a kill pen and a group of people came together to help find new homes for the horses. I also hope this means that Telling and Shades of Night got homes.

EDIT: Per Pedigree Query (which can be edited by anyone I know) Telling was "sent to a private farm in Tennessee" and Kibbutznik "reportedly died of colic in 2019." Nothing on Shades of Night. Kibbutznik was a pretty boyo.

Also...Suntracer was supposedly at "Oakton Stallions" in 2019, like many of the Prestige stallions...yet this article speaks as though he was rescued after Prestige closed :?: . Oakton's FB also has pics of him.
Starine

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 am

Mylute wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:46 am Friendly boys! Happy boys!
https://www.facebook.com/AirdrieStud/vi ... 238446423/
What a lovely scene, especially with the snow falling. Thank you for sharing.
Mylute

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am

Skipshot (Skip Away) being a handsome fella.
https://twitter.com/acissej138/status/1 ... 3269225479