The rise of Sunday Silence

Starine

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:59 am

That's awfully exciting news regarding Ivar. I am very much looking forward to his U.S. debut.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:46 pm

So I'm not entirely sure, hopefully tachyon can translate better and/or knows more - but it appears that Mer de Glace has an injury of some sort. Graham Pavey says it seems like he might recover and be able to race in the fall? It sounds like he is getting some sort of stem cell treatment & exercising on the walking machine.

@LongBallToNoOne
MER DE GLACE on the road to recovery, sounds like he will race again, not in the spring however, autumn hopefully 🤞

スギヤマ
@masakamasataka
· 22h
メールドグラースさん、4コマでどうぞ。
必要な治療はしがらきで受けて来ており、早来で追加の治療を行うというよりは、チェックと様子を見て運動を開始していく。
歩様も今は問題なし(なお駄々こねてちゃんと歩いてくれない模様w
)。とりあえずエネルギー有り余ってて元気そうで安心しました。

@masakamasataka
治療は自身の幹細胞を注射する再生医療のようで。カネヒキリと同じ方法かなと思います。
重くない症状という認識はしがらき以降も変わらず。治してまた活躍できると思っているとのこと。
現状はウォーキングマシン。馬が元気すぎるので、何とかトレッドミルまで辿り着きたいとのこと(急がず脚下本意)。
https://twitter.com/masakamasataka/stat ... 4959065089
https://twitter.com/masakamasataka/stat ... 4435353601

tachyon wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:14 am Glacier Blue(JPN) became the 30th daughter of Sunday Silence (USA) to produce one or more G1 winners worldwide, when her 4yo colt Mer de Glace(JPN)[by Rulership(JPN)] won the A$ 5 million G1 Caulfield Cup 2400m turf at Caulfield, Austraila, overcoming his wide draw under Damian Lane on October 13th 2019.

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSOa1T_6M4
1st. Mer de Glace(JPN) C4. Rulership(JPN) x Glacier Blue(JPN) by Sunday Silence(USA)
2nd. Vow And Declare(AUS) G4. Declaration of War(USA) x Gablitzt(AUS) by Test Rossa(AUS)
3rd. Mirage Dancer(GB) H5. Frankel(GB) x Heat Haze(GB) by Green Desert(USA)

Mer de Glace(JPN)
https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001202832/
18-8-2-5
tachyon

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:14 am

Retirement ceremony of Japan's 2019 Horse of the Year Lys Gracieux(JPN)(Heart's Cry) was held today at Kyoto Racecourse.

Trainer Yoshito Yahagi bidding Sayonara to the great six year-old mare.
''I will be back to Kyoto Racecourse with her baby.''

-- video (taken by a racing fan) <--- recommended ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2At_TVcvcI
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 pm

I loved this vid clip of Mr Yahagi riding Lys Gracieux in the walking ring... though her handlers must have been praying the whole time, since he wasn't wearing a helmet :shock:

https://twitter.com/ReineMinorucats/sta ... 3626037248

and this photo of her with her groom, Kitaguchi-san via @anz_news

Interestingly, it seems that any horse that wins two JRA Grade 1 races is entitled to a retirement ceremony, for free!
Starine

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 am

Great photos. She had such a terrific year, and is clearly fond of her groom.
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:12 am

I love the carrot necklace. :D
tachyon

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:25 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:12 am I love the carrot necklace. :D
Me too!
Lys Gracieux was owned by Carrot Farm. ;) :lol:

Sire : Heart's Cry(JPN)
Dam (Sire of Dam) : Liliside(FR) (American Post(GB))
Owner : Carrot Farm
Trainer : Yoshito Yahagi
Jockey : Damian Lane
tachyon

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:36 pm

A lot of Sunday Silence line stallions are found in this clip. :D

-- video by World Horse Racing

''JAPAN'S GREATEST STALLIONS: ORFEVRE, HEART'S CRY & LORD KANALOA''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yy4pH8n5Y
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:52 am

Tachyon, I am very interested to see if Chrome nicks with Sunday Silence line mares. His first Japanese book includes several, perhaps more than several but I can only go by the bits of information making its way to the U.S.
tachyon

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:52 am Tachyon, I am very interested to see if Chrome nicks with Sunday Silence line mares. His first Japanese book includes several, perhaps more than several but I can only go by the bits of information making its way to the U.S.
Okay, I have just looked into Shanghai Bobby's first Japanese book last year to find some clue about how many Sunday Silence line mares Chrome is likely to get this year.
Shanghai Bobby(USA), a US import, stood at Arrow Stud (like California Chrome) last year for a fee of JPY 2,000,000 and covered 108 mares. California Chrome(USA) stands for a fee of JPY 4,000,000 this year.
Needless to say, both Shanghai Bobby and California Chrome are free from Sunday Silence bloodline.
But California Chrome is likely to get stronger book than Shanghai Bobby.

Shanghai Bobby's first book included:

1 Admire Vega mare
1 Durandal mare
1 Higher Game mare
1 Matsurida Gogh mare
1 Orfevre mare
1 Smart Falcon mare
2 Gold Allure mares
2 Manhattan Cafe mares
2 Neo Univers mares
3 Heart's Cry mares
3 Special Week mares
3 Stay Gold mares
3 Sunday Silence mares
3 Zenno Rob Roy mares
4 Agnes Tachyon mares
4 Daiwa Major mares
4 Dance in the Dark mares
4 Deep Impact mares
4 Fuji Kiseki mares
--------------------------------------------------------
total: 47 Sunday Silence mares (out of 108 mares)

Shnghai Bobby covered 108 mares last year, 47 of which were Sunday Silence mares. (43.5%)

Assuming that California Chrome is going cover about 150 mares (or more), I would guess that his first Japanese book includes more than 65 Sunday Slience line mares at least.
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:08 pm

tachyon wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 am
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:52 am Tachyon, I am very interested to see if Chrome nicks with Sunday Silence line mares. His first Japanese book includes several, perhaps more than several but I can only go by the bits of information making its way to the U.S.
Shnghai Bobby covered 108 mares last year, 47 of which were Sunday Silence mares. (43.5%)

Assuming that California Chrome is going cover about 150 mares (or more), I would guess that his first Japanese book includes more than 65 Sunday Silence line mares at least.
Tachyon, than you very much for this information and your kindness in providing it. I'm glad Chrome is likely to get a fairly large number of Sunday Silence line mares, because it will give us a good idea if they nick or not. Plus Sunday is such a strong influence that I believe the overall quality of mares from his line is much better than the average mare Chrome was getting in Kentucky.

Despite the fiery temperament of the Hail to Reason branch of Nearco's line, I have always been a fan of that branch. Among Hail to Reason's top get were the superb sires Halo, Roberto and Stop the Music. Although it's far back in Chrome's sire line, Hail to Reason appears in Seattle Slew's pedigree. So he does return some of that blood back to Sunday Silence mares.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 pm

Four-ish minute video of the Shadai stallions: Orfevre, Harbinger, New Year's Day, Rulership, Logotype, Kitasan Black, Satono Diamond, Duramente, Epiphaneia, Real Impact, Red Falx, Novellist, a very very sleepy Lord Kanaloa falling asleep in his water bucket :mrgreen: , Kizuna, and Heart's Cry.

https://twitter.com/Ascot/status/1223680665658544133
tachyon

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:14 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:08 pm
tachyon wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 am

Assuming that California Chrome is going cover about 150 mares (or more), I would guess that his first Japanese book includes more than 65 Sunday Silence line mares at least.
Tachyon, than you very much for this information and your kindness in providing it. I'm glad Chrome is likely to get a fairly large number of Sunday Silence line mares, because it will give us a good idea if they nick or not. Plus Sunday is such a strong influence that I believe the overall quality of mares from his line is much better than the average mare Chrome was getting in Kentucky.

Despite the fiery temperament of the Hail to Reason branch of Nearco's line, I have always been a fan of that branch. Among Hail to Reason's top get were the superb sires Halo, Roberto and Stop the Music. Although it's far back in Chrome's sire line, Hail to Reason appears in Seattle Slew's pedigree. So he does return some of that blood back to Sunday Silence mares.
You are welcome.
Obviously his first Japanese book has yet to be released.
And we will have to wait until late Autumn to find out full information.
But we might see some mares' names pop up somewhere from now on.
I hope you will find some of them in the 2020 Matings thread of this forum, too. ;)
tachyon

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:28 am

Today is the fifth anniversary of Stay Gold's death.

@vodkajo444

at Breeders Stallion Station

-- replay of the 2001 Dubai Sheema Classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0SfW2lqKZE
tachyon

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:13 am

-- from uma-furusato.com news

JRA 2019 Horse of the Year Lys Gracieux(JPN) (Heart's Cry) returned to Northern Farm where she was born.
https://uma-furusato.com/news/detail/_id_101168

Northport

Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 am

An article in the Racing Post about how Will Farish acknowledging that Noble Mission is still up against it when it comes to becoming a top sire in America:

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... her/421631

An interesting quote:
"The horse I’m afraid I’m going to really kick myself over for a long time is Bricks And Mortar. He was absolutely a very viable possibility for a lot of farms to make a play on, but they didn’t do it and we didn’t do it,” he said of the 2019 American Horse of the Year.

The son of Giant’s Causeway won the Breeders’ Cup Turf, among other major grass events, and was undefeated during his stellar season prior to being sent to Japan for stud duty at the Shadai Stallion Station.

“Timing plays into it - it’s not like everybody was given a chance after he was named Horse of the Year,” said Farish, explaining that breeding rights to Bricks And Mortar became available prior to his peak, with Shadai announcing the acquisition from Klaravich Stables and William H Lawrence in early August.
weeeeeeeee
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Northport wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 am An article in the Racing Post about how Will Farish acknowledging that Noble Mission is still up against it when it comes to becoming a top sire in America:

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... her/421631

An interesting quote:
"The horse I’m afraid I’m going to really kick myself over for a long time is Bricks And Mortar. He was absolutely a very viable possibility for a lot of farms to make a play on, but they didn’t do it and we didn’t do it,” he said of the 2019 American Horse of the Year.

The son of Giant’s Causeway won the Breeders’ Cup Turf, among other major grass events, and was undefeated during his stellar season prior to being sent to Japan for stud duty at the Shadai Stallion Station.

“Timing plays into it - it’s not like everybody was given a chance after he was named Horse of the Year,” said Farish, explaining that breeding rights to Bricks And Mortar became available prior to his peak, with Shadai announcing the acquisition from Klaravich Stables and William H Lawrence in early August.
U.S. breeders are sending a lot of very, very good stallion and broodmare prospects overseas without giving them any chance to prove themselves here. I understand that money, specifically ROI, is important, but when it becomes the sole driver in the breeding business, it also becomes the driver of numerous other negative issues in the modern U.S. Thoroughbred industry.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:02 pm

If Shadai wants a horse, they certainly don't sit back and wait... And if they can't buy what they want, they work to breed it themselves instead. 8-)
CorridorZ75

Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:33 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:02 pm If Shadai wants a horse, they certainly don't sit back and wait... And if they can't buy what they want, they work to breed it themselves instead. 8-)
Considering how well Deep Impact did with Storm Cat mares, it was a no brainer for them to go out and get a Storm Cat line sire to service the Deep Impact mares to see if the nick works in reverse. I am also slightly surprised they have not taken a chance on an Into Mischief, although he is dirt-oriented.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Sole Volante (Karakontie x Light Blow, by Kingmambo) switched to dirt and upset the G3 Sam F. Davis Stakes, defeating Independence Hall.

Karakontie (Bernstein x Sun Is Up, by Sunday Silence)
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... m-f-davis/
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧