New Conformation Photos

lurkey mclurker

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 pm

mariasmon wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:13 pm
CorridorZ75 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:14 pm Don't see anything wrong in the hind, but boy is he upright through the fore pasterns.
He's always was.

I saw him last Sunday and he seemed to be walking fine.
Hasn't there been rumor/speculation about him being lame since before he returned to the US from Korea? :roll: You'd think they'd be put to rest by now.
starrydreamer

Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:39 pm New one for War Front (Danzig).
https://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-reg ... /war-front
Great googly moogly. :shock: Good thing he doesn't need to rely on conformation photos to attract top mares.
sweettalk

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Mylute wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm Candid shot of Take Charge Indy by Housatonic back in the states. Anybody see any issues with him? Obviously you can't tell from a photo but a user on here was claiming he was lame and did not need to be mounting mares and they would never breed to him.
was that regarding a pic of him in the breeding shed in korea with his back leg bandaged? that happened but we have no context, or i never got any, anyway.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:13 pm

sweettalk wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 pm
Mylute wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:02 pm Candid shot of Take Charge Indy by Housatonic back in the states. Anybody see any issues with him? Obviously you can't tell from a photo but a user on here was claiming he was lame and did not need to be mounting mares and they would never breed to him.
was that regarding a pic of him in the breeding shed in korea with his back leg bandaged? that happened but we have no context, or i never got any, anyway.
For what it's worth the leg that was bandaged (left back) doesn't appear to have any visible issues. If he broke his leg or a part of it, and that's why he was bandaged up like that, wouldn't there be some permanent "swelling"?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
hadrianmarcus

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:13 pm
For what it's worth the leg that was bandaged (left back) doesn't appear to have any visible issues. If he broke his leg or a part of it, and that's why he was bandaged up like that, wouldn't there be some permanent "swelling"?
Here is a link to a video from earlier this month of Take Charge Indy. I don't see any serious problems.

https://twitter.com/AHughesNTRA/status/ ... 6574007296
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm

I've never found War Front to be very attractive, but dang, he sires some good-looking offspring. :shock: 8-)
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm I've never found War Front to be very attractive, but dang, he sires some good-looking offspring. :shock: 8-)
I don't think it's really War Front that's the issue, it's that they can't really take a good picture.

Not saying that War Front is a supermodel of course, but he'd probably look much better photographed in the style of Lane's End's or Coolmore's shots.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
lurkey mclurker

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:09 am

unofficial of New Year's Day, via twitter

https://twitter.com/kawagoefa/status/12 ... 0463520768
sweettalk

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 am

that's a good observation. coupled with hadrian's video, gonna guess it was for something small like maybe a little cut. wonder what these other ppl are seeing, the ones that say he looks lame and all *shrug*
Flanders

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 am

Mylute wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm I've never found War Front to be very attractive, but dang, he sires some good-looking offspring. :shock: 8-)
I don't think it's really War Front that's the issue, it's that they can't really take a good picture.

Not saying that War Front is a supermodel of course, but he'd probably look much better photographed in the style of Lane's End's or Coolmore's shots.
This will always be the winner for me. Even the new one isn't this bad, the colors are all so blown out you can't even see what is him or the trees. I think this was his conformation shot when he first went to stud cause he is way to skinny to have been at Claiborne for long.

The most messed up thing is, I know Dell Hancock can take good conformation pictures, they sell one on Secretariat.com. I wonder if its just where they are choosing to take the photos? Uneven ground in front of a barn, in front of dark trees, etc.
starrydreamer

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:34 pm

The background is so noisy. Even as a super casual Etsy seller, I know that backgrounds need to be simple in order to put focus on your subject. War Front is definitely not going to win beauty contests with his head and neck being totally Danzig, but he deserves a better backdrop - and so do the other Claiborne stallions. Even a wee bit of tweaking brightness/shadows/highlights/contrast would help without it becoming a photoshopped mess.
Flanders

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:55 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:34 pm

The background is so noisy. Even as a super casual Etsy seller, I know that backgrounds need to be simple in order to put focus on your subject. War Front is definitely not going to win beauty contests with his head and neck being totally Danzig, but he deserves a better backdrop - and so do the other Claiborne stallions. Even a wee bit of tweaking brightness/shadows/highlights/contrast would help without it becoming a photoshopped mess.
Was this photo ever used as his conformation shot because its far and away the best one that I saw that looks like a conformation shot. But again the background is to much because of the bush and you lose him in it, its like they are trying to make him a chameleon in his pictures because he always just blends in.

I like the placement of the horse to the background in this one but I don't like the picture. I don't know if the ground is uneven. Or if its how he is standing and maybe leaning forward but its makes his rear end look HUGE compared to the other photo.
Diver52

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Rule # 1 of photography is "Don't have a telephone pole poking out of the subject's head!" Okay, the building posts aren't coming out of WF's head, but they're still distracting. B-a-a-a-d.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Starine

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:13 pm

I'll be honest: I've never been impressed with the conformation photos Claiborne uses. They have fine stallions, and it's always a bit of a surprise when you see their photos. :? Fortunately they don't seem to be turning off breeders (as far as I know).
Flanders

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 pm

Diver52 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm Rule # 1 of photography is "Don't have a telephone pole poking out of the subject's head!" Okay, the building posts aren't coming out of WF's head, but they're still distracting. B-a-a-a-d.
They are better than the ones in front of the trees. But I agree everywhere they take conformation shots aren't suitable and there has to be a better place on their farm.
Miss Woodford

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:07 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:20 pm
Diver52 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm Rule # 1 of photography is "Don't have a telephone pole poking out of the subject's head!" Okay, the building posts aren't coming out of WF's head, but they're still distracting. B-a-a-a-d.
They are better than the ones in front of the trees. But I agree everywhere they take conformation shots aren't suitable and there has to be a better place on their farm.
Overbury Stud takes the best stallion photos. Just standing on flat asphalt in front of a blank neutral-colored wall.
The dark bay Jack Hobbs is presented well
Cityscape, a chestnut, looks just as good
They don't currently stand a gray stallion but here is Sagamix as an old example. The dark green door serves to highlight him and keep from fading into the background.

And note that they actually show the horses' hooves...
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:51 am

Those are very nice portraits. I especially LOVE the fact they didn't Photoshop out the lead lines.
There is nothing about retouching out the lead lines that makes your stallion look better...and sometimes it looks obvious and stupid. :roll:
ETA: And Jack Hobbs is still looking as gorgeous as ever. ;)
starrydreamer

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Agreed. Even just a field. Plain background. It has to be possible there.
Flanders

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:45 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 pm
Agreed. Even just a field. Plain background. It has to be possible there.
Exactly. Like this photo is obviously old since its a conformation of Secretariat but I feel he is far enough away from the fence/trees that it doesn't distract a lot and would be a fine place to take pictures. Maybe they've planted trees or something there though since its been so long.
https://secretariatcom.stores.yahoo.net ... -stud.html
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm

Here is a link to a video from earlier this month of Take Charge Indy. I don't see any serious problems.

https://twitter.com/AHughesNTRA/status/ ... 6574007296
I don't either. As I've said before, perfect doesn't exist in this world, but TCI has no major faults that I can see.