Stallion News

Northport

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 pm

He has lovely, very looooong legs. His back is a bit long and his neck on the shorter side, but he looks like a very nice boy. Kind of like a Whippet.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 pm He has lovely, very looooong legs. His back is a bit long and his neck on the shorter side, but he looks like a very nice boy. Kind of like a Whippet.
Like Dynamic Racer in the conformation shots thread, Rey has that "sighthound look." He's got a lot of filling out to dot though.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
TapitsGal

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:07 am

Gary West and coolmore just announced that coolmore has purchased a 50% racing and breeding interest in maximum Security. Max will race through his four year old season. I think max going to coolmore could be a good fit for him as we know he will get solid support his first season at stud...But I'm also worried that with his sire being in Japan and his dam being sold to Korea and only brought back to the US after his success, that max could also go the way of Hansen and not remain at Ashford stud very long
Izvestia

Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:46 pm

I don’t particularly find Max Security an enticing stallion prospect. Sure, he can run.
WHY did they decide to start him in a $16,000 maiden claiming race? That’s a pretty cheap race! What the hell was/is wrong with him? It makes me suspicious.
Anyone able to identify a claiming horse that has gone on to be a great sire? There must be someone???
Equipoise

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:05 pm

Izvestia wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:46 pm I don’t particularly find Max Security an enticing stallion prospect. Sure, he can run.
WHY did they decide to start him in a $16,000 maiden claiming race? That’s a pretty cheap race! What the hell was/is wrong with him? It makes me suspicious.
Anyone able to identify a claiming horse that has gone on to be a great sire? There must be someone???
Princequillo, for one.
Retrospectiv

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Izvestia wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:46 pm I don’t particularly find Max Security an enticing stallion prospect. Sure, he can run.
It was his 1st start. Guess that's what fit the bill at the time to get a race in him

Omaha Beach had to run in 5 maiden special weights before he got a win. People have quickly forgotten about that bit.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
CorridorZ75

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm
It was his 1st start. Guess that's what fit the bill at the time to get a race in him

Omaha Beach had to run in 5 maiden special weights before he got a win. People have quickly forgotten about that bit.
Whatever the reason for running him in a 16K claimer, it was not that they could not find a MSW. Look at the condition books of any track running in December. You would have a hard time not finding a MSW that fits a two year old's schedule. Ok, so you don't quite know what you have to start with, especially with the way this horse is trained. Fine. But the TWO SOC claiming (not even allowance) races after that? At this point, I just assume he was helping West set up a nice betting score in the Florida Derby. Then again, maybe this horse does need the light touch that has worked for him through the year.
Retrospectiv

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:26 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:16 pm
Retrospectiv wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Whatever the reason for running him in a 16K claimer, it was not that they could not find a MSW. Look at the condition books of any track running in December. You would have a hard time not finding a MSW that fits a two year old's schedule. Ok, so you don't quite know what you have to start with, especially with the way this horse is trained. Fine. But the TWO SOC claiming (not even allowance) races after that? At this point, I just assume he was helping West set up a nice betting score in the Florida Derby. Then again, maybe this horse does need the light touch that has worked for him through the year.
Whatever their reasons, it worked for them to get a horse with a single 2 yr old start into the Derby, and cross the wire 1st. Outside that DQ, horse is 8 for 9 lifetime and has some signifigant wins so there's no doubting his ability. West is a player so he may very well of been setting a little something up in the Florida Derby. When he won easily in his 1st start, somoeone should have taken a shot at the $50,000 claim in his next starts.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
CorridorZ75

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Those were optional so I don't think he was offered for a tag in those races.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:08 pm

Ok. Max's first three starts were in some form of claiming race.

1st Start - Maiden Claiming, was in for a $16K tag (as was Math Wizard, who was claimed). He won.
2nd Start - Starter Optional Claiming, was not in for a claim. He won.
3rd Start - Starter Optional Claiming, was not in for a claim. He won.

So yes he was in for a claim in his first start, as he ran in a race that required the hosses to be in for claim. I'm not of the opinion that running for a claim ONCE should be a big red 'X' on a potential stud's record, as there's numerous reasons why they would be in for a claim, but the fact they ran him for a claim instead of just waiting for a non-claiming race is really interesting. Someone referenced Max's unsoundess in another thread and I questioned it (because I genuinely couldn't remember anything about it) and they then told me that Max has had several issues that have been swept under the rug, and that's likely why they ran him for a claim instead of waiting. Of course, if they really wanted rid of him, they would have put him in for a claim in those next two races or ran him solely in required claiming races.

EDIT: The actual response was (from Curtis): Servis mentioned after the Florida Derby that there was a reason that Max started his career in a Maiden Claimer for 16k and it wasn’t a big secret. Now, I suppose that could have been a veiled attempt at stating, “He trained like a slug, has little breeding, is a home bred so we decided to put him in for $16k and hope that someone bit” or the horse isn’t particularly sound and Servis figured he could get away with it. When you factor in that Max is trained almost exclusively with 2 minute licks, I would tend to go with, not real sound. So no, Servis never put an ad in the DRF stating Max’s general health but being a betting man, I’ll wager he has limited amount of starts and they’re being judicious with them.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
lurkey mclurker

Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:03 am

Northport wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 pm He has lovely, very looooong legs. His back is a bit long and his neck on the shorter side, but he looks like a very nice boy. Kind of like a Whippet.
Happy 2020 everyone!

That is a... rather awkward photo of RdO. Having seen him several times in the paddock/walking ring etc, his neck is not at all that short as the photo makes him look. :? He is/was kind of Gold-Shippy when he wanted to be, though... :lol:
Flanders

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:11 am

Here is a photo of Rey de Oro in 2017.
Mylute

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 am

Mylute wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 pm Stallions Dylan Mouth, Peace Envoy Offered For Private Sale
Dylan Mouth has stood for one season at Worsall Grange at a fee of £2,000. The son of Dylan Thomas was a three-time Group 1 winner in Italy for Stefano Botti and became an international campaigner for his brother Marco, taking the Silver Cup at York in his final season in 2018.

Peace Envoy had covered for two seasons for the same fee. A son of Power trained by Aidan O’Brien, he won the Group 3 Anglesey Stakes as a juvenile and finished a close third in the Prix Morny.
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... ase/395267
Peace Envoy to Stand in Italy
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... aly/416298
Izvestia

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm

I’m going to go out on a limb and say we’re likely not looking at another Princequillo...
Here’s my other question about the $16,000 price - did nobody on the entire track/racing world think he was any good? Because he would have been a helluva claim (Math Wizard too). There are some pretty savvy trainers out there.
Did Servis not know what he had? Seems risky to drop him THAT low. You have to admit it’s effin’ bizarre, if it wasn’t we’d see more KY Derby winners running cheap!
I really am curious.
Mylute

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:51 pm

G3W Squadron A (Unbridled's Song) has moved to Pleasant Acres Stallions from Green Meadows Stables from 2020. He isn't on their site yet.
Flanders

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am

Izvestia wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm I’m going to go out on a limb and say we’re likely not looking at another Princequillo...
Here’s my other question about the $16,000 price - did nobody on the entire track/racing world think he was any good? Because he would have been a helluva claim (Math Wizard too). There are some pretty savvy trainers out there.
Did Servis not know what he had? Seems risky to drop him THAT low. You have to admit it’s effin’ bizarre, if it wasn’t we’d see more KY Derby winners running cheap!
I really am curious.
He is a really bad work horse. Look at his workout list, if someone showed me that and I didn't know who it was, I would think it was a slow claimer not a horse going for an Eclipse Award. And its like the longer he races the worst he gets at workouts, how is that even possible?
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/workou ... registry=T
Izvestia

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:21 am

Omg. That is pretty bad.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:43 am

Maybe he's not as stupid as some other TBs? :P ;)
If you look at it objectively from the horse's point of view, there are a lot of things about training that aren't exactly comfortable for a horse. If Max' has decided that exerting himself while training is no fun at all, his workouts may never look fabulous. :lol:
Just as long as real races keep his competitive juices flowing, he could keep outshining those 'meh' workouts when it counts the most.
Flanders

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:28 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:43 am Maybe he's not as stupid as some other TBs? :P ;)
If you look at it objectively from the horse's point of view, there are a lot of things about training that aren't exactly comfortable for a horse. If Max' has decided that exerting himself while training is no fun at all, his workouts may never look fabulous. :lol:
Just as long as real races keep his competitive juices flowing, he could keep outshining those 'meh' workouts when it counts the most.
Yeah I mean obviously those slow workouts are good enough for him. I put that above because I think they are the reason why he didn't get claimed when he was in for 16k.
hadrianmarcus

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:39 pm

World of Trouble will stand at Cornerstone Stud in Australia for the Southern Hemisphere season in 2020. His fee will be $22,000 Australian.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... a-in-2020/