Stallion News

CorridorZ75

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 pm

With the caveat that things are still quite early, it is interesting to look at the CI versus the AEI for two year olds for the top 15 freshman sires as well as a couple of others. Also put down the CI versus lifetime two year old AEI of top two year old sires, and also Bodemeister out of curiosity since he is being shipped out.

American Pharoah CI: 3.24 AEI ( 2 year olds): 1.79 29%
Constitution CI: 1.48 AEI: 2.22 37%
Liam's Map CI: 2.24 AEI : 1.58 26%- seems like a feast or famine type sire
Competitive Edge CI: 1.29 AEI: 1.79 32%
Race Day CI: 1.20 AEI: 1.89 25%- touting the Tapit line on the regional markets while Constitution is taking care of the big leagues.
Khozan CI: 1.41 AEI: 2.21 38%- wonder if he ends up being bought eventually by a Kentucky farm with that pedigree
Palace Malice CI 1.71 AEI: 1.19 36%
Bayern CI: 1.63 AEI:1.47 38%
Tapiture CI: 1.19 AEI: 1.03 41%
Carpe Diem CI: 2.02 AEI: 1.08 28%
Summer Front CI: 1.42 AEI 1.04 39%
Wicked Strong CI: 1.26 AEI 0.91 34%
Fast Anna CI: 1.25 AEI: 1.70 29%
The Big Beast CI: 1.38 AEI: 1.46 33%
Commissioner CI:1.11 AEI: 1.44 29%
Frac Daddy CI: 1.35 AEI: 2.09 39%- interesting Scat Daddy up north- at 50% winners from runners with a very small crop.
Honor Code CI: 2.62 AEI: 0.93 26%
Tonalist CI: 1.68 AEI: 0.94 35%

Bodemeister CI: 1.84 AEI (lifetime two year olds) : 0.89- hmm, hard to make it in Kentucky without getting some two year olds each year.
Into MIschief CI: 1.73 AEI: 1.91
Tapit CI: 2.28 AEI: 2.19
More Than Ready CI: 1.74 AEI:. 2.00
last year's top two in the Freshman ranks
Goldencents CI: 1.37 AEI: 1.19
Cross Traffic CI: 1.30 AEI: 2.14 but only 0.71 this year's- shows what one really good earner can do for a sire over the short term.
Starine

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Study of Man Retired to Stand at Lanwades Stud
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... wades-stud

A French Derby-winning grandson of Miesque by Deep Impact -- what's not to like?
Flanders

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 am

Treve wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:20 pm
Flanders wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 am
Diver52 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 am Cairo Prince went4 to Turkey? :o I thought he had a good first crop.

How long before American Pharaoh's results don't match his stud fee and.... .pick a Third World country! :oops:
No I think Treve meant forgetting to include Cairo Prince in the list of Empire Maker line stallions standing in the US. Bodemeister is the one supposedly going to Turkey, though only a Turkish news source has announced it so far.
Yes thank you lol!
As an aside, Cairo Prince is actually several spots lower than Bodemeister on the National sires list but he is #3 second crop sire.

And about American Pharoah - his yearling average is more than twice his initial stud fee, he was #1 for a while on the First Year stallions list, and now even at #2 not much currently separates him from #1. He'll be fine. He has survived the toughest 3rd year at stud test with his offspring performing well.
As for Cairo Prince, he might get another year or two in Kentucky to improve his results. They aren't fantastic either considering his first book of mares should have been his strongest. He needs a G1SW badly and more SWs in general. I understand he has only 2 crops to race but having a 2 GSWS (one G2, one G3) and 3 other SWs isn't going to cut it. I think Airdrie tends to give their stallions a little bit longer though.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:27 am

Starine wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:15 pm Study of Man Retired to Stand at Lanwades Stud
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... wades-stud

A French Derby-winning grandson of Miesque by Deep Impact -- what's not to like?
Wow to that pedigree.
FlyToTheStars

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 am

Toms Ready sterile.
Flanders

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 am

FlyToTheStars wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 am Toms Ready sterile.
Completely sterile? He started stud at Spendthrift in 2018 and was dropped from their roster without any announcement. Then it was said he was standing 2019 in Louisiana. Weird that they would send him on if he was sterile.
mosieposie12

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am

https://www.drf.com/news/preservationis ... rdrie-stud

Preservationist retired to stud at Airdrie in 2020
Northport

Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:58 pm

mosieposie12 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am https://www.drf.com/news/preservationis ... rdrie-stud

Since he is 6 with 11 lifetime starts, and retiring a month before the biggest race of the season, I'm going to assume he is lame again. Full credit to the connections for the patience they had with the horse and really getting the most out of him after what I can only assume were a lot of frustrating seasons. But, if I owned a mare, I would be swerving Preservationist big time.
weeeeeeeee
CorridorZ75

Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Exactly. Constantly breeding to horses that clearly had physical issues that curtailed racing is just going to keep adding more frailty into the DNA. And then everyone blames the tracks. This is why break down stats should have been kept all along. The Santa Anita track back in the early 80s was a freeway. It would be interesting to know if there were more or less problems than this year.
FlyToTheStars

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:01 am
FlyToTheStars wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 am Toms Ready sterile.
Completely sterile? He started stud at Spendthrift in 2018 and was dropped from their roster without any announcement. Then it was said he was standing 2019 in Louisiana. Weird that they would send him on if he was sterile.
Texas A &M doing research on him. A person contacted Old Friends about taking him in
hadrianmarcus

Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Northport wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:58 pm
mosieposie12 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am https://www.drf.com/news/preservationis ... rdrie-stud

Since he is 6 with 11 lifetime starts, and retiring a month before the biggest race of the season, I'm going to assume he is lame again. Full credit to the connections for the patience they had with the horse and really getting the most out of him after what I can only assume were a lot of frustrating seasons. But, if I owned a mare, I would be swerving Preservationist big time.
So durable Hoppertunity was a no go in Kentucky because of an unfashionable sire :evil: .... and Bricks and Mortar has to eventually stand in Japan rather than Kentucky because he's not a 'dert' horse (and because other sons Giant's Causeway, like Shamardal are flopping at stud :roll: ) ...……….

But there's a demand for 4-start Maximum Mischief, Preservationist and the like. Eeesh!
Alywow

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 pm

So durable Hoppertunity was a no go in Kentucky because of an unfashionable sire :evil: .... and Bricks and Mortar has to eventually stand in Japan rather than Kentucky because he's not a 'dert' horse (and because other sons Giant's Causeway, like Shamardal are flopping at stud :roll: ) ...……….

But there's a demand for 4-start Maximum Mischief, Preservationist and the like. Eeesh!
Sharmadal is not flopping at stud. He's the sire of Lope de Vega, who's turning into a very good sire himself. He's the sire of 23 Group 1 winners including Blue Point, Speedy Boarding, Pakistan Star and Casamento He's had three Grade one winning two-year-olds in Europe this year; Pinatubo, Earthlight and Victor Ludorum. Hopefully we'll see at least one in the BC Juvenile Turf.
He's had a couple of cold years, but Sharmadal doesn't get the respect he deserves and is one of the best values at stud in Europe.
Starine

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Alywow wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm Sharmadal is not flopping at stud. He's the sire of Lope de Vega, who's turning into a very good sire himself. He's the sire of 23 Group 1 winners including Blue Point, Speedy Boarding, Pakistan Star and Casamento He's had three Grade one winning two-year-olds in Europe this year; Pinatubo, Earthlight and Victor Ludorum. Hopefully we'll see at least one in the BC Juvenile Turf.
He's had a couple of cold years, but Sharmadal doesn't get the respect he deserves and is one of the best values at stud in Europe.
I'm pretty sure hadrianmarcus was being sarcastic about Sharmardal being a flop. :!:
CorridorZ75

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 pm

Alywow wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm
Sharmadal is not flopping at stud. He's the sire of Lope de Vega, who's turning into a very good sire himself. He's the sire of 23 Group 1 winners including Blue Point, Speedy Boarding, Pakistan Star and Casamento He's had three Grade one winning two-year-olds in Europe this year; Pinatubo, Earthlight and Victor Ludorum. Hopefully we'll see at least one in the BC Juvenile Turf.
I thought I read somewhere Shamardal is pretty much a private sire now. He only has 82 two year olds and 50ish yearlings and weanlings so I think his books have been cut back in the recent years. When he was young, wasn't he suspected of being a wobbler? I haven't heard of any of his progeny having similar problems though, but neck problems could possibly be why the cut in book.
Flanders

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:36 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 pm
I thought I read somewhere Shamardal is pretty much a private sire now. He only has 82 two year olds and 50ish yearlings and weanlings so I think his books have been cut back in the recent years. When he was young, wasn't he suspected of being a wobbler? I haven't heard of any of his progeny having similar problems though, but neck problems could possibly be why the cut in book.
He was almost euthanized for being a wobbler but he eventually outgrew it.
Northport

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:48 pm

Yeah he has only been serving mares of the Maktoum family and their associates since 2016. He is an amazing stallion, and the best sire son of Giant's Causeway by a mile, but I wonder if he does have some physical issues that warrant him being private. Darley has had plenty of top class stallions before, but they've never made any private the way Shamardal is. If they're worried about exclusivity, then Dubawi would be private. But if they're told the stallion can only cover around 80 mares a year or less due to fertility, neck issues, neurological issues, etc. and he happens to be a terrific stallion and you and your friends own hundreds of broodmares who warrant top class matches, then making the stallion private makes sense.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

Hill 'n' Dale 2020 stud fees:

Army Mule - $10,000
Bayern - $15,000
Curlin - $175,000
Flintshire - $15,000
Good Magic - $35,000
Kanthaos - $30,000 (up from $20,000)
Kitten's Joy - $75,000
Maclean's Music - $20,000 (down from $25,000)
Midnight Lute - $15,000
Secret Circle - $5,000
Stormy Atlantic - $10,000
Violence - $25,000 (down from $40,000)
World of Trouble - $15,000 (NEW)

------------------------
A few changes in stud fees but most remained unchanged. One stallion has been removed from the 2019 roster, Atreides, who is entered in the Keeneland November Sale.
hadrianmarcus

Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:26 am

hadrianmarcus wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 pm

It's Shamardal...not Sharmadal. That was sarcasm. Hence the eyeroll. Good lord.
Treve

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 am
Flanders wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 am
No I think Treve meant forgetting to include Cairo Prince in the list of Empire Maker line stallions standing in the US. Bodemeister is the one supposedly going to Turkey, though only a Turkish news source has announced it so far.
Yes thank you lol!
As an aside, Cairo Prince is actually several spots lower than Bodemeister on the National sires list but he is #3 second crop sire.

And about American Pharoah - his yearling average is more than twice his initial stud fee, he was #1 for a while on the First Year stallions list, and now even at #2 not much currently separates him from #1. He'll be fine. He has survived the toughest 3rd year at stud test with his offspring performing well.
As for Cairo Prince, he might get another year or two in Kentucky to improve his results. They aren't fantastic either considering his first book of mares should have been his strongest. He needs a G1SW badly and more SWs in general. I understand he has only 2 crops to race but having a 2 GSWS (one G2, one G3) and 3 other SWs isn't going to cut it. I think Airdrie tends to give their stallions a little bit longer though.
I think his first book was actually his weakest. To the best of my recollection his books 2 and 3 just grew. His first book Pharoah hadn't won the TC yet, and so he didn't get all that Pharoah/PotN fairy dust until book 2. He was standing for only 10k I think his first season?) And to the best of my recollection he got better mares his second year standing.
That being said TDN has him ranked in the top 15 on their list. Not sure what metric they use.
It will be interesting to see his report of mares bred this year and compare it to the previous two years.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
KatieK101

Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Treve wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:09 pm
Flanders wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 am

Yes thank you lol!

I think his first book was actually his weakest. To the best of my recollection his books 2 and 3 just grew. His first book Pharoah hadn't won the TC yet, and so he didn't get all that Pharoah/PotN fairy dust until book 2. He was standing for only 10k I think his first season?) And to the best of my recollection he got better mares his second year standing.
That being said TDN has him ranked in the top 15 on their list. Not sure what metric they use.
It will be interesting to see his report of mares bred this year and compare it to the previous two years.
Good point about AP not winning the TC before Cairo's Prince's first book. With PotN's passing and with AP's early success at stud, I'm sure other farms are going to want a piece of that action. Cairo Prince hasn't had an awful start, especially if Treve is right and his best crops have yet to hit the track.

The PotN colts are a hot commodity right now. I would be surprised if Airdrie doesn't give Cairo Prince every chance to improve moving forward.