Stallion News

Retrospectiv

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:28 am

hadrianmarcus wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:56 pm Demarchelier to stand at Claibourne Farm. Dubawi colt with a top class pedigree.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rm-in-2020
Off the van at Claiborne:

"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
carole

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Crystal Ocean sold to Coolmore to stand as a National Hunt sire???? With his pedigree and race record?? Honestly I’m extremely shocked.
hadrianmarcus

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:13 pm

mariasmon wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 am
Starine wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 pm
hadrianmarcus wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:56 pm Demarchelier to stand at Claibourne Farm. Dubawi colt with a top class pedigree.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rm-in-2020
I'm really intrigued what sort of mares he will receive with his predominantly turf pedigree. I hope American breeders will give him a chance.
I love Demarchelier's pedigree and he's outstanding-looking. He clearly had talent. But it's interesting that he's getting a shot (and I'm thrilled he is), while there was apparently insufficient interest in standing the more accomplished Dubawi son Mubtaahij in the US. Maybe Peter Brant was the driving force behind it and Mubtaahij's owner didn't want to support him. I don't know the circumstances, obviously.
I think you nailed it. Peter Brant is probably the driving force. Brant has a plenty of broodmares already at Claibourne. Moreover, it is likely that there will be more stallion prospects in the pipeline from Mr. Brant...thus Claibourne stands to benefit. I also think with the NYRA's new Turf Triple (or whatever they are calling it)..a good Dubawi producer might find a successful niche in the market. There have to be some good turf stallions developed anticipating a post Kitten's Joy and English Channel marketplace.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Claiborne's website just got a glow up.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Miss Woodford

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Northport wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:06 am
Miss Woodford wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 pm Authorized and Bodemeister(?!) are off to Turkey.
http://www.yarisdergisi.com/two-new-sta ... ys-roster/
I'm kind of surprised Darley would part with Authorized at all. Their French base is usually where they send their less popular stallions/less successful stallions, but they don't sell stallions that often at all.

Selling Bodemeister is a classic WinStar move, but I'm still really surprised. I guess beyond Always Dreaming and American Anthem, he hasn't produced much, but he still covered 130 mares in 2018, the year he had a Derby winner in his first crop - his best foals could still be out there. When was the last time that a horse advertised for a $25,000 was sold overseas? Usually it's a much lower price range that's getting the boot.

I don't really follow Turkish horse racing, but with the gradually nicer stallions they are purchasing, it seems like they are genuinely trying to improve their industry. Do they buy any nice mares? I don't really know of any Turkish bred horse that's made noise internationally, despite them buying nicer and nicer stallions.
They tend to use mostly their local racemares, though they have bought a few nice ones too.. Shared Belief's dam Common Hope was bought at KEENOV11 for $125k by Turkish owner/breeder Arif Kurtel carrying a full sister to SB. Common Hope was brought back to the US in 2014 by Kurtel (who has a broodmare band in Kentucky) along with SB's sister Lady Candy, but not before being bred to Victory Gallop ;) .

The best Turkish horses will often run in Meydan in the spring, with minor success. This year Good Curry finished 2nd in the G3 Burj Nahaar before a disappointing 12th-place effort in the Godolphin Mile, while Peri Lina was 3rd in the G2 Balanchine.
mariasmon

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 pm

hadrianmarcus wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:13 pm
mariasmon wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 am
Starine wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm really intrigued what sort of mares he will receive with his predominantly turf pedigree. I hope American breeders will give him a chance.
I love Demarchelier's pedigree and he's outstanding-looking. He clearly had talent. But it's interesting that he's getting a shot (and I'm thrilled he is), while there was apparently insufficient interest in standing the more accomplished Dubawi son Mubtaahij in the US. Maybe Peter Brant was the driving force behind it and Mubtaahij's owner didn't want to support him. I don't know the circumstances, obviously.
I think you nailed it. Peter Brant is probably the driving force. Brant has a plenty of broodmares already at Claibourne. Moreover, it is likely that there will be more stallion prospects in the pipeline from Mr. Brant...thus Claibourne stands to benefit. I also think with the NYRA's new Turf Triple (or whatever they are calling it)..a good Dubawi producer might find a successful niche in the market. There have to be some good turf stallions developed anticipating a post Kitten's Joy and English Channel marketplace.
Good point about Brant having other potential stallions for them.
mosieposie12

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:58 am

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:20 am

I recently bought a DVD of 50 to 1 and I'm watching it again.

I'm so glad Pioneerof the Nile and I Want Revenge are immortalised in this.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
ThreeMustangs

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:48 am

mosieposie12 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:58 am https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rm-in-2020

Audible retired, WinStar 2020
WinStar 2020, Korea 2024.
Treve

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Bodemeister had a decent ratio of runners to winners. However his SWs let alone graded stakes winners is rather low. Still I'm sure part of that can be accounted for the fact his closest male competitors probably raked in the better mares. You had his sire Empire Maker back from Japan, Pioneerof the Nile sired a TC winner also standing at stud, and has other options in the form of Classic Empire who seemed to permanently cook off Bodemeister's best performer post-Preakness, Midnight Storm who is a graded stakes winner on two surfaces. Social Inclusion on a regional market.

Though with the loss of PotN this year I would've expected a turnaround in his performance as a sire, I think he could probably have gotten a better proportion of better mares.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:27 pm

So, with Omaha Beach's successful return to racing, the Take Charge Lady female family continues to thrive. Any news about whether Take Charge Indy is back from Korea yet?
Flanders

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Treve wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:34 pm Bodemeister had a decent ratio of runners to winners. However his SWs let alone graded stakes winners is rather low. Still I'm sure part of that can be accounted for the fact his closest male competitors probably raked in the better mares. You had his sire Empire Maker back from Japan, Pioneerof the Nile sired a TC winner also standing at stud, and has other options in the form of Classic Empire who seemed to permanently cook off Bodemeister's best performer post-Preakness, Midnight Storm who is a graded stakes winner on two surfaces. Social Inclusion on a regional market.

Though with the loss of PotN this year I would've expected a turnaround in his performance as a sire, I think he could probably have gotten a better proportion of better mares.
Buyers gave up on his yearlings this year, 1 put of 48 might not have been a massive loss for the breeder. 20 sold for less than $10,000. 37 sold for less than his 2017 stud fee. Maybe 1 made a profit and if it did, it was minimal. I imagine he had few mares bred in 2019 as well. It will be interesting to see those numbers.
Treve

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 pm
Treve wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:34 pm Bodemeister had a decent ratio of runners to winners. However his SWs let alone graded stakes winners is rather low. Still I'm sure part of that can be accounted for the fact his closest male competitors probably raked in the better mares. You had his sire Empire Maker back from Japan, Pioneerof the Nile sired a TC winner also standing at stud, and has other options in the form of Classic Empire who seemed to permanently cook off Bodemeister's best performer post-Preakness, Midnight Storm who is a graded stakes winner on two surfaces. Social Inclusion on a regional market.

Buyers gave up on his yearlings this year, 1 put of 48 might not have been a massive loss for the breeder. 20 sold for less than $10,000. 37 sold for less than his 2017 stud fee. Maybe 1 made a profit and if it did, it was minimal. I imagine he had few mares bred in 2019 as well. It will be interesting to see those numbers.
I didn't follow too closely as I didn't happen to see any of his yearlings in the catalogues the few times I did tune in to watch the sales.

Also I forgot Cairo Prince, oops. Well hopefully he can find success in Turkey.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Diver52

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 am

Cairo Prince went4 to Turkey? :o I thought he had a good first crop.

How long before American Pharaoh's results don't match his stud fee and.... .pick a Third World country! :oops:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Flanders

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 am

Diver52 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 am Cairo Prince went4 to Turkey? :o I thought he had a good first crop.

How long before American Pharaoh's results don't match his stud fee and.... .pick a Third World country! :oops:
No I think Treve meant forgetting to include Cairo Prince in the list of Empire Maker line stallions standing in the US. Bodemeister is the one supposedly going to Turkey, though only a Turkish news source has announced it so far.
KatieK101

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:26 am

Diver52 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 am Cairo Prince went4 to Turkey? :o I thought he had a good first crop.

I wouldn't worry about AP. If anything they might lower his stud fee but I don't think his first crop has disappointed...
mariasmon

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:22 pm

No mention of what injury he might've sustained, but World of Trouble retires to Hill n Dale earlier than planned. His fee is $15,000.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/mu ... e-retired/
Retrospectiv

Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 pm

mariasmon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:22 pm No mention of what injury he might've sustained, but World of Trouble retires to Hill n Dale earlier than planned. His fee is $15,000.

HRN article said foot bruise.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
mariasmon

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 pm
mariasmon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:22 pm No mention of what injury he might've sustained, but World of Trouble retires to Hill n Dale earlier than planned. His fee is $15,000.

HRN article said foot bruise.
That necessitated retirement? Weak.
Treve

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 am

No I think Treve meant forgetting to include Cairo Prince in the list of Empire Maker line stallions standing in the US. Bodemeister is the one supposedly going to Turkey, though only a Turkish news source has announced it so far.
Yes thank you lol!
As an aside, Cairo Prince is actually several spots lower than Bodemeister on the National sires list but he is #3 second crop sire.

And about American Pharoah - his yearling average is more than twice his initial stud fee, he was #1 for a while on the First Year stallions list, and now even at #2 not much currently separates him from #1. He'll be fine. He has survived the toughest 3rd year at stud test with his offspring performing well.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...