Korea Breeding

RugbyGirl

Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:49 pm

With the end of the year I thought I could throw up some sires tables from Korea.
There is a new leading sire in Korea! After 5 years at the top Menifee has dropped down to 2nd spot!

2018 Korea General Sires
1. Ecton Park (USA) by Forty Niner
2. Menifee (USA) by Harlan
3. Officer (USA) by Bertrando
4. Peace Rules (USA) by Jules
5. Sharp Humor (USA) by Distorted Humor
6. Colors Flying (USA) by AP Indy
7. Hansen (USA) by Tapit
8. Forest Camp (USA) by Deputy Minister
9. Vicar (USA) by Wild Again
10. Thunder Moccasin (USA) by AP Warrior
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
RugbyGirl

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:01 pm

2018 Leading First Crop Sires
1. Any Given Saturday (USA) by Distorted Humor
2. Federalist (JPN) by Empire Maker
3, Tiz Wonderful (USA) by Tiznow
4. Private Vow (USA) by Broken Vow
5. Clear Attempt (USA) by AP Indy
RugbyGirl

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 pm

2018 Leading Second Crop Sires
1. Hansen (USA) by Tapit
2. Thunder Moccasin (USA) by AP Warrior
3. Testa Matta (USA) by Tapit
4. Eurosilver (USA) by Unbridled Song
5. Spicule (JPN) by Sunday Silence
RugbyGirl

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:21 pm

I had a quick look at broodmare sires list then couldn't look away. Practically all of these have never seen Korea and one has only had two runners in Korea (1× $1million earner!)

2018 Broodmare Sires List
1. Pleasant Tap (USA)
2. Didyme (USA)
3. Broken Vow (USA)
4. More Than Ready (USA)
5. Forestry (USA)
6. Mr Greeley (USA)
7. Yankee Victor (USA)
8. Grand Slam (USA)
9. Strike The Gold (USA)
10. Malibu Moon (USA)
tachyon

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:38 am

RugbyGirl wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:01 pm 2018 Leading First Crop Sires

2. Federalist (JPN) by Empire Maker
Thanks for the info. :D
Federalist(JPN) is o/o Japanese champion mare Dance Partner (by Sunday Silence).
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Korea-breds are hitting the sales in the United States.

K Top King, by Ecton Park o/o stakes winner Fly Top Queen (Henny Hughes), is consigned in the OBS 2YOs in Training Sale. The colt is Hip 23.

Korea Gijeok, by Hansen o/o Priscilla (Biwa Shinseiki), is a colt consigned as Hip 497.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
RugbyGirl

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 pm

I've been busy with RL but there are two new US bred stallions on the Korea database in the past few days

ELUSIVE BLUFF (USA) 2006 by Elusive Quality out of Megans Bluff

J.S. CHOICE (USA) 2014 by Congrats out of Oil Empress
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:19 pm

@ de Meric Thoroughbred Sales

Here's K Top King. I learned that his dam, Fly Top Queen, was at the time of her sale the most expensive purchase for South Korea.

https://www.facebook.com/demericsales/p ... =3&theater
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:22 pm

@ de Meric Thoroughbred Sales

Here's another Hansen colt, an unnamed one out of Angel Star (Concept Win). He's Hip #911 at OBS April.

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D506D1D
Mylute

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:51 pm

K Top King was sold to KHL for $10K at OBS April

The Hansen colt o/o Angel Star was not sold...
Retrospectiv

Sat May 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Not a very flattering expose out of Korea.

If you were wondering where several imported horses ended up..... including 2 yr old sales purchases...
Among his Ocala class, now four years old, Ace King wasn’t alone. Of the 50 bought at that auction that were sent to Korea—one stayed in the States to race—14 are already dead. At least seven were killed at the same slaughterhouse in Jeju. (Ocala didn’t return several messages asking for comment.)

These seven all had desirable pedigrees and sold for a combined $475,000. There were two sons of the preeminent stallion Candy Ride, a sire of six champions. Honor Step sold for $110,000 but never even got to the races; he was slaughtered in April 2018. One In A Billion changed hands for $220,000 as a yearling but in Ocala sold for a quarter of that to Korea Bloodstock; after one win in six starts, he was retired in February and sent to slaughter in March.
https://deadspin.com/why-are-good-young ... 2CVo2dcF4E
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Ziggypop

Sat May 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:39 pm Not a very flattering expose out of Korea.

If you were wondering where several imported horses ended up..... including 2 yr old sales purchases...
Among his Ocala class, now four years old, Ace King wasn’t alone. Of the 50 bought at that auction that were sent to Korea—one stayed in the States to race—14 are already dead. At least seven were killed at the same slaughterhouse in Jeju. (Ocala didn’t return several messages asking for comment.)

These seven all had desirable pedigrees and sold for a combined $475,000. There were two sons of the preeminent stallion Candy Ride, a sire of six champions. Honor Step sold for $110,000 but never even got to the races; he was slaughtered in April 2018. One In A Billion changed hands for $220,000 as a yearling but in Ocala sold for a quarter of that to Korea Bloodstock; after one win in six starts, he was retired in February and sent to slaughter in March.
There is a picture of Take Charge Indy with a Large bandage on his left hind and they have continued to breed him many times a day limping. There are a number of horses with pictures at the slaughter house. To read how US people in the industry are pretending they don’t know and blow it off is appalling.
Private Thoughts

Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm

So Maximum Security’s mother and full sister are in Korea? What a shame.

What I find a bit disturbing is the nonchalant attitude towards the situation by those folks who have enabled the Koreans to make their purchases.

Lots of blame all around, but then the same crap goes on in Japan and here in the States. Maybe they shouldn’t breed so many to begin with. And I really hope Strike the Gold did not meet that type of end.
Miss Woodford

Sun May 05, 2019 10:11 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm So Maximum Security’s mother and full sister are in Korea? What a shame.

What I find a bit disturbing is the nonchalant attitude towards the situation by those folks who have enabled the Koreans to make their purchases.

Lots of blame all around, but then the same crap goes on in Japan and here in the States. Maybe they shouldn’t breed so many to begin with. And I really hope Strike the Gold did not meet that type of end.
Turkey doesn't slaughter horses (horse meat isn't halal), and they seem to treat their horses quite well. Also the Turkish Jockey Club writes up obituaries for their deceased stallions, here is Strike the Gold's http://www.tjk.org/EN/YarisSever/News/P ... %3A00%3A00
Northport

Sun May 05, 2019 10:43 pm

No racing jurisdiction is above being scrutinized for not having adequate aftercare for their retired racehorses. But that Korean story is really disturbing. The fact that they're promoting the boom of horse racing almost hand in hand with the increasing popularity of consumer-grade horse meat is... gross.

At least we can say if there are old warriors who earn 500k+ for their owners, someone, owner/aftercare organization/samaritan/otherwise, keeps track of them.

It's one thing that too many horses are being bred year after year, especially in North America and England, but to have such a large chunk of your racing stock be imported - as in, you're paying 10k+ one way to get them a plane ticket alone... then unloading them without second thought when they aren't Secretariat... hell, when they aren't even twice as much as their upkeep is. Gross.
weeeeeeeee
mariasmon

Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Private Thoughts wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 pm So Maximum Security’s mother and full sister are in Korea? What a shame.
They are back in the US (well, the mare is back and the foal is here for the first time). Tom Ryan tweeted photos of them and said they arrived at Hartwell Farm just in time for the Derby. So, looks like SF Bloodstock bought them, probably after the Florida Derby.
Honeymoon

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 am

Ziggypop wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:21 pm
Retrospectiv wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:39 pm Not a very flattering expose out of Korea.

There is a picture of Take Charge Indy with a Large bandage on his left hind and they have continued to breed him many times a day limping. There are a number of horses with pictures at the slaughter house. To read how US people in the industry are pretending they don’t know and blow it off is appalling.
I was quiet shocked to see Take Charge Indy in this condition. I met him 2016 at Winstar Farm and I could not wrap my head around why they are allow this. It’s a shame. These lovely souls have never done anything wrong... :cry:
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 pm

Honeymoon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 am I was quiet shocked to see Take Charge Indy in this condition. I met him 2016 at Winstar Farm and I could not wrap my head around why they are allow this. It’s a shame. These lovely souls have never done anything wrong... :cry:
It's not the horses who do anything wrong. Human beings are to blame. Period.

What I'd like to know now is this...what is meant by "initiated the PROCESS to return Take Charge Indy?" If the Koreans have acquiesced to WinStar's right to bring him home, then WinStar should arrange for one or more of their reps (including a veterinarian) to fly over and bring him back ASAP. I realize they probably need to evaluate his physical condition, but the sooner the better. All the horses can't be saved, but at least get TCI out of this terrible situation as fast as possible:

Catalina

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:11 pm
Honeymoon wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 am I was quiet shocked to see Take Charge Indy in this condition. I met him 2016 at Winstar Farm and I could not wrap my head around why they are allow this. It’s a shame. These lovely souls have never done anything wrong... :cry:
It's not the horses who do anything wrong. Human beings are to blame. Period.

What I'd like to know now is this...what is meant by "initiated the PROCESS to return Take Charge Indy?" If the Koreans have acquiesced to WinStar's right to bring him home, then WinStar should arrange for one or more of their reps (including a veterinarian) to fly over and bring him back ASAP. I realize they probably need to evaluate his physical condition, but the sooner the better. All the horses can't be saved, but at least get TCI out of this terrible situation as fast as possible:

Yes, PLEASE get TCI out ASAP. And then see if there are any more that can be retrieved or what else can be done to address the situation.
CorridorZ75

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Is there a video of him limping? That bandage could just be covering a superficial wound or scrape while it heals, and jumping a mare wouldn't necessarily be a problem at all. Those type of bandages are always a bit bulky and can look moreso once they are stretched due the bending of the joint. It is telling that that the bandage does not go all the way up to the hock and so it would not be particularly supportive for a soft tissue injury (suspensory, tendon, etc). Of course bandages like that can be used immediately post-op to protect the incisions, but I doubt they would have him jumping mares right after surgery on a hind fetlock. He is, after all, a valuable stallion. I would be shocked to wander through the breeding sheds of America and not find a bandage or two. Horses are good at getting into scrapes.