Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:40 am

"Has undergone a second surgery where 4m of intestine has had to be removed. "

Aw, frack.
IIRC, that means a lot of dead and infected tissue needed to be removed. :(
Come on, you great grey, and beat this.
RugbyGirl

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:11 am

from anz_news:
"Cambridge Stud chief executive Henry Plumptre tells us that vets in Scone and Kentucky were consulted prior to the second round of surgery this morning and, so far, the operation has been deemed a success. The next 48 hours remains critical for Roaring Lion's recovery."
and finally CambridgeStud:
"This extraordinary horse is a real fighter."
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Northport

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:23 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:40 am "Has undergone a second surgery where 4m of intestine has had to be removed. "

Aw, frack.
IIRC, that means a lot of dead and infected tissue needed to be removed. :(
Come on, you great grey, and beat this.
25% of his small intestine, they say
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:16 pm

So disappointed to hear about Roaring Lion's setback after an already trying week. He was a terrific racehorse and still very young; it would be quite devastating to lose him. Here's hoping he comes back fighting like a real lion.
RugbyGirl

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Fresh photos of Roaring Lion this morning looking bright and alert via David Redvers on twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/dredvers/sta ... 0465687552
EA6eyH4UYAAhNpH.jpeg.jpg
Della

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:54 pm

Some horses are just so tough, and keep fighting. Paynter is one of those who came back from the brink. Wishing the same for Roaring Lion.
Power up, Lion.
RugbyGirl

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 am

The CEO of Cambridge Stud (where Roaring Lion was to stand at stud) wrote this message on Facebook a couple of days ago

Roaring Lion Update From Henry

A week ago there was a sense of anticipation at Cambridge Stud with our European champions Almanzor and Roaring Lion arriving last Saturday morning. Unfortunately, their arrival has been overshadowed by a sudden and acute colic episode that struck Roaring Lion shortly after his arrival from quarantine. It has been well documented that the horse was rushed to Cambridge Equine Hospital and underwent emergency colic surgery on Saturday morning. His recovery from that surgery appeared to be going well although there were occasional signs of discomfort. However, his condition deteriorated early on Thursday morning and his veterinary team decided that they needed a second operation to clear whatever it was that was bothering him. The second operation was performed at 9.00am on Thursday morning removing a damaged section of small intestine containing two adhesions. Following the surgery, Roaring Lion spent most of yesterday in his box in intensive care and he was monitored by the Cambridge Equine team throughout the night.

It is a testament to the horse’s courage and character that he is making steady progress from that second operation and, although he has a mountain to climb, we are cautiously happy with his progress. He is bright, alert and interested in everything that is going on around him. He has been out for two short walks, had a very small pick of grass and appears relaxed, showing good clinical signs.

We have made mention of the fact that it is unlikely that Roaring Lion will cover in New Zealand, if he gets to resume his career in the northern hemisphere. There is however a very strong connection between Cambridge Stud, Roaring Lion and his owner Sheikh Fahad and manager David Redvers. We are determined to leave no stone unturned in getting the horse back to full health in order that he can board the plane for the U.K. at the end of the breeding season. We have a totally dedicated team at Cambridge Stud in a supporting role at the moment and a superb team of surgeons and vets who are helping the horse in the battle of his life. Our thanks go to everyone at the Cambridge Equine Centre and, on a wider note, to everyone who has sent messages of support regarding the horse. We will keep you all updated over the next few days and hopefully weeks.

Henry
CorridorZ75

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:12 pm

I get the economics involved, but it is odd to me not one mention has been made of just leaving Roaring Lion in New Zealand for at least a year if not permanently rather than risking another long trip when he is always going to be at a higher risk for colic going forward. Colicking could also certainly occur in New Zealand again, but it seems to me, connections are willing to add on risk factors for the financial gain of getting more British breeding seasons out of him. I wonder if insurance would cover the lost value of NH breeding seasons if he can still breed in SH. This is certainly the downside of the stallion shuttle windfall.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:38 pm

I was thinking along the same lines. Since it appears that RL has a long convalescence ahead of him, it seems to be in the best interest of the horse to let him take as long as necessary to heal completely. And staying until the next SH breeding season would let him do that.
Cambridge would get that breeding season from the stallion, and then he could return to England. He's a young horse with what looks like a great future; don't threaten the many possible years he could have at stud just to get him back promptly for the next NH season. :(
Flanders

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:21 am

I'm sure if they feel he isn't well enough to do the return trip that he wont. They'll give him the time he needs but in all honesty they could give him almost 6 months to heal before returning if need be and still be able to make the NH season.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:47 pm

Bricks and Mortar is off to Shadai after the Breeders' Cup.

I was hoping he'd stay in training for Ascot next year.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
bare it all

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:47 pm Bricks and Mortar is off to Shadai after the Breeders' Cup.

I haven’t looked too hard, but I imagine the Japanese Breeders’ are investing in that the Giants Causeway is going to mix in well with the massive amount of Sunday Silence. Storm Cat lines have done well there, yes? Off the top of my head I know they brought in Eskendereya as well and must like what they are seeing so far.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 pm

While I'm pleased that Bricks' is going to enjoy the sort of huge support that Shadai will provide, I'm sorry to read that he's leaving the States. IMHO we could use such an excellent son of the late, great Giant's Causeway in our own TB breeding programs. :(
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:22 pm

There's always a chance he could return to the United States. Maybe "leasing" for a year will become more popular.

He's an incredibly talented son of a highly regarded, now deceased sire with a pretty solid female side. I would be shocked if no one in the USA, or Europe, made an offer. Shadai probably just offered the bigger bucks.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Izvestia

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:47 pm Bricks and Mortar is off to Shadai after the Breeders' Cup.

Bummer. He’s stunning and a helluva racehorse.
RugbyGirl

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 pm

Great news! Roaring Lion has been discharged from hospital and has made the five minute float trip back to Cambridge Stud!
https://mobile.twitter.com/dredvers/sta ... 1294532608
Starine

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks for the update, RG. That is truly the best news I have gotten all week.
Mylute

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Redesdale is moving to McMahon of Saratoga for 2020.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:06 pm

2017 Melbourne Cup winner Rekindling has been retired.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ng-retired
Mylute

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Eight of Effinex's First and Only Foals Available at New York-Bred Sale
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -bred-sale