Random Retiree News

lurkey mclurker

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Sooooooooooooooooooooo I dunno how much I can say since the horse in question is not mine and therefore I am not going to share super specific details, but 8-)

I was going to post back in February, when my trainer/owner of the barn where I ride & help out was accepted to the Retired Racehorse Project/Thoroughbred Makeover Competition... but we didn't have a horse yet so I thought I would wait.

And now we have a horse!!! He is on a trailer making his way home as I post this. He just turned six, last raced in 2017, won one race and about $25k. He is bay with a stripe and no other markings that I can tell, and I am pushing for his barn name to be Pirate based on his pedigree (if you squint). :mrgreen: (really it's totally logical :lol: ) He comes from a well-respected trainer and I am so excited to see him tomorrow after work, I can't wait to watch and learn along with him!

:::flails around like a happy Kermit:::
Ziggypop

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Oh how fun! Congrats!
lurkey mclurker

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 am

Thanks, it's so exciting!!!

LOL I got sent a pic from just after they loaded him on the trailer and he had that "what just happened?!?!" look that we usually see on newborn foals, poor guy. Hopefully he'll sleep well tonight after his long trip! :mrgreen:
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:16 am

lurkey mclurker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 am Thanks, it's so exciting!!!

LOL I got sent a pic from just after they loaded him on the trailer and he had that "what just happened?!?!" look that we usually see on newborn foals, poor guy. Hopefully he'll sleep well tonight after his long trip! :mrgreen:
Oh this is fabulous! Will you be able to give us a name soon? I don't see that they've posted the names of the accepted horses yet, just the trainers. I'm not very good with cryptic clues, at least not this late at night, lol.
Catalina

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:06 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:11 pm Sooooooooooooooooooooo I dunno how much I can say since the horse in question is not mine and therefore I am not going to share super specific details, but 8-)

I was going to post back in February, when my trainer/owner of the barn where I ride & help out was accepted to the Retired Racehorse Project/Thoroughbred Makeover Competition... but we didn't have a horse yet so I thought I would wait.

And now we have a horse!!! He is on a trailer making his way home as I post this. He just turned six, last raced in 2017, won one race and about $25k. He is bay with a stripe and no other markings that I can tell, and I am pushing for his barn name to be Pirate based on his pedigree (if you squint). :mrgreen: (really it's totally logical :lol: ) He comes from a well-respected trainer and I am so excited to see him tomorrow after work, I can't wait to watch and learn along with him!

:::flails around like a happy Kermit:::
DELIGHTED to hear your good news!!!!!
lurkey mclurker

Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 pm

You guyyyyyyyyyyyyyys I drove out after work today to see him and he is so handsome!!! Also very very Very TALL. :shock: He's gotta be 17 hands, with legs for miles. But he seems on the mellow side - apparently he did sleep very well after his trip, and traveled well too - though he's been at a layup and not handled much beyond turn out/bring in, so he was a little lippy and nosey but backed off and was respectful when reminded about his space and manners. He needs work and a lot of muscle and to learn how to bend but he's in decent shape; he gets a full checkup at the vet next week and she's already seen his xrays. He gets scrubbed from head to toe on Saturday after he's settled in for the rest of the week; he's already had some groundwork and been in the red pen (mini turnout) and met the resident dog and other horses and a small grandchild. :mrgreen: Seems pretty unflappable so far!

He should have an instagram going up soon so when that happens and everything is public I'll be happy to give more details and link it (I don't plan to be in any pics or vid clips, LOL) but for now we've tentatively settled on Westley for his barn name. He doesn't really look like a Pirate so eventually we googled famous pirates and almost chose "William Kidd the infamous Scottish pirate" which made us think of The Princess Bride & the Dread Pirate Roberts, and then Wesley! But he lives out West and is going to be doing Western work so I felt it was necessary to put the t in Westley. :lol:
20190311_161401.jpg
Holly1972

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 am

lurkey mclurker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 pm You guyyyyyyyyyyyyyys I drove out after work today to see him and he is so handsome!!! Also very very Very TALL. :shock: He's gotta be 17 hands, with legs for miles. But he seems on the mellow side - apparently he did sleep very well after his trip, and traveled well too - though he's been at a layup and not handled much beyond turn out/bring in, so he was a little lippy and nosey but backed off and was respectful when reminded about his space and manners. He needs work and a lot of muscle and to learn how to bend but he's in decent shape; he gets a full checkup at the vet next week and she's already seen his xrays. He gets scrubbed from head to toe on Saturday after he's settled in for the rest of the week; he's already had some groundwork and been in the red pen (mini turnout) and met the resident dog and other horses and a small grandchild. :mrgreen: Seems pretty unflappable so far!

He should have an instagram going up soon so when that happens and everything is public I'll be happy to give more details and link it (I don't plan to be in any pics or vid clips, LOL) but for now we've tentatively settled on Westley for his barn name. He doesn't really look like a Pirate so eventually we googled famous pirates and almost chose "William Kidd the infamous Scottish pirate" which made us think of The Princess Bride & the Dread Pirate Roberts, and then Wesley! But he lives out West and is going to be doing Western work so I felt it was necessary to put the t in Westley. :lol:

20190311_161401.jpg
Carey Elwes’ character’s name in the movie is spelled Westley😉😉
lurkey mclurker

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 am

LOL you know I thought I remembered that, but everybody else thought not. :mrgreen: So then I said it needed a t for the other reasons instead and they couldn't argue it. 8-)

Thanks for the confirmation!
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Long Range Toddy's dam, Pleasant Song, was pensioned from breeding and is being retrained for a second career in Alabama.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... asant-song
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm

LRD's two-year-old full brother was gelded!? That seems unfortunate. :(
Flanders

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm LRD's two-year-old full brother was gelded!? That seems unfortunate. :(
Something strange that I don't think I ever saw before, especially for a named 2yo. He doesn't have a color listed on Equineline. He is listed as unknown gelding. I've seen it for foals. I would imagine they do not intend to race him.
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 am

Westley has an instagram! https://www.instagram.com/tbmakeover_westley/

You guys, I love. this. horse. He is so sweet! And he has a good brain, and is so smart. He learns so quickly and he is a lovebug and just an all-around good boy. :mrgreen:

He had his vet checkup and there are some things we need to do for him, but he's gaining weight and his coat looks good and he got his feet and teeth done and he's been soaking up all the groundwork and trailer in/out and aaaaaaaaah I just can't say enough good things about him!!!

(It's kind of a shame he's going to be a western boy because he would look SO GOOD in English tack LOL... :lol: )
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 am

lurkey mclurker wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 am Westley has an instagram! https://www.instagram.com/tbmakeover_westley/

You guys, I love. this. horse. He is so sweet! And he has a good brain, and is so smart. He learns so quickly and he is a lovebug and just an all-around good boy. :mrgreen:

He had his vet checkup and there are some things we need to do for him, but he's gaining weight and his coat looks good and he got his feet and teeth done and he's been soaking up all the groundwork and trailer in/out and aaaaaaaaah I just can't say enough good things about him!!!

(It's kind of a shame he's going to be a western boy because he would look SO GOOD in English tack LOL... :lol: )
He's adorable! Can't wait to hear all about his progress.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:46 pm

John Velazquez @ljlmvel
6h6 hours ago
Had to go and see Wise Dan. Thx Charlie and Amy for letting me test drive him in the stall. 😀
lurkey mclurker

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:06 pm

LOL I kept looking for a heart button to Like that post... :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:06 am

Gander Still Great for Gatsas Family
The Gatsas Family, who have been invested in the Thoroughbred game for decades, are thrilled with their first Kentucky Derby starter, Vekoma (Candy Ride {Arg}). But as electrifying as this multiple graded stakes-winning youngster is, it’s their old warrior Gander who tugs hardest on the heartstrings.

“He hasn’t run in a long time, but my brother and I have always taken care of Gander and we always will,” said Mike Gatsas of Gatsas Stables, who with brother Ted Gatsas operated Gatsas Thoroughbreds. “It’s a real emotional bond with us and Gander.”

The New York-bred son of Cormorant, now age 23 and two decades older than the R.A. Hill Stables co-owned Vekoma, was an iron horse on the track. In a career spanning seven seasons from 1998-2004 he made 60 starts, ran in 40 stakes races, and earned $1,824,011 with a record of 15-10-9. Along the way he won the GII Meadowlands Cup and took on the handicap division’s best with on-the-board finishes in the 2000 GI Jockey Club Gold Cup, the 2001 GI Whitney H. and 2002 GI Woodward S. and with appearances in the 2000 and 2002 GI Breeders’ Cup Classic.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ga ... as-family/
lurkey mclurker

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Great article! Wish they'd included a recent photo of the grand old guy though... ;)
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Another Daughter of Secretariat is Discovered - and She’s 30 Tomorrow

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... -tomorrow/

~ This was from February.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute

Wed May 22, 2019 5:15 pm

@ Coolmore Stud

Dual Grade 1 winner Rhinestone Cowboy (aged 23) and 6-time Grade 1 winner Native Upmanship (aged 26), enjoying their retirement at Coolmore. They're both sons of Be My Native.

https://twitter.com/coolmorestud
Mylute

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Doug O'Neill has announced on his Facebook page (or one of his assistants has, lol) that Sovereign Champion and G1 winner Interpol (English Channel) has joined his barn as a stable pony. He was retired in 2017.