horses with unique coloring/facial markings

Treve

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 pm

he has the classic over the eye white and his markings aren't jagged (so likely not sabino), he has four high stockings again not jagged although he seems to have a stray droplet and he has white over his chin. The only difference with SP is his eyes aren't blue and he doesn't have the full facial colouring, but splash doesn't even need to be expressed with a bald face. There are many examples where splash just manifests as wide blaze + chrome on the legs.

Not arguing that this IS splash but this colt's markings are in the same expression pattern as SP's so whatever it is I think it's safe to say it's not spontaneous.

Also not sure why you'd assume it's a spontaneous KIT mutation many patterns aren't on the KIT gene.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Retrospectiv

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Treve wrote:he has the classic over the eye white and his markings aren't jagged (so likely not sabino), he has four high stockings again not jagged although he seems to have a stray droplet and he has white over his chin. The only difference with SP is his eyes aren't blue and he doesn't have the full facial colouring, but splash doesn't even need to be expressed with a bald face. There are many examples where splash just manifests as wide blaze + chrome on the legs.

Not arguing that this IS splash but this colt's markings are in the same expression pattern as SP's so whatever it is I think it's safe to say it's not spontaneous.

Also not sure why you'd assume it's a spontaneous KIT mutation many patterns aren't on the KIT gene.
Absolutely NOT sabino, as there is NO SB1 in thoroughbreds...

And again, SP is a far more extreme patterned version here. I assumed KIT mutation as TBs have a notoriously unstable KIT, and it's a pattern that's cropped up in several other TBs. So far, not tested positive for SW1, 2,3 or 4. Hopefully they'll test a few of them and find out if there's a common gene present in TBs.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
TBird

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:22 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:Absolutely NOT sabino, as there is NO SB1 in thoroughbreds...

And again, SP is a far more extreme patterned version here. I assumed KIT mutation as TBs have a notoriously unstable KIT, and it's a pattern that's cropped up in several other TBs. So far, not tested positive for SW1, 2,3 or 4. Hopefully they'll test a few of them and find out if there's a common gene present in TBs.
I'm surprised to hear there are no sabino TBs. We have a filly who certainly appears to be one.
Retrospectiv

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:02 am

TBird wrote:
Retrospectiv wrote:Absolutely NOT sabino, as there is NO SB1 in thoroughbreds...

I'm surprised to hear there are no sabino TBs. We have a filly who certainly appears to be one.
They certainly mimic what was always thought to be sabino, but SB1 has not been found in TBs. They do carry a lot of other white patterns, and often one of those, combined with W20 (basically a white booster), will produce some interesting markings. There are clearly lots of unidentified white genes yet to be discovered :)

What are the lines on your filly, if you don't mind me asking, TBird?
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Equipoise

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 am

Southern Phantom is entered in the second today at Saratoga. His trainer says if he does well they might try the Hopeful next. 😁
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:41 pm

He finished third after pushing the leader and eventual winner, Unionizer. He may improve off this race, but I don't know if the Hopeful would be a bit too hopeful, since that Spa juvy classic will probably be full of well-bred youngsters.
TBird

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 am

Retrospectiv wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:02 am
TBird wrote:

They certainly mimic what was always thought to be sabino, but SB1 has not been found in TBs. They do carry a lot of other white patterns, and often one of those, combined with W20 (basically a white booster), will produce some interesting markings. There are clearly lots of unidentified white genes yet to be discovered :)

What are the lines on your filly, if you don't mind me asking, TBird?
She is by Animal Kingdom o/o an Afleet Alex mare.

I don't know how to post pictures here, but this is a link to a picture of her on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Starine

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Oh my, TBird. She is exquisite!
TBird

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Thank you, Starine. We like her a lot. :)
lurkey mclurker

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:30 pm

She looks so much like Marquetry! What a cutie! Let's hope she runs like him too. :mrgreen:
Sparrow Castle

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 pm

She's gorgeous, TBird! And her name sure does fit her. Can't wait to see her on the track.
Treve

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 am

She's lovely even without the markings she'd be!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Not sure if he’s been mentioned here before, but Man of Faith is a black “rabicano” stallion of some sort. I think he’s like Oxbow and Trap Game; not bred for it, it just happened. Race record isn’t too bad and he has a stakes winning half sister.

Man of Faith
Essence of Dubai x River of Faith, by Bahri

He is standing at Whinny Farms in Oregon. There are several more photos of him on the site, although they don’t show his coloring as well. I’ve been scrolling through Whinny’s FB page and while they are “breeding for color” pretty much all of their stock or clientel are APHAs and APHA crosses “suitable for any discipline”, so I guess it’s different. They have Lone Pine Twist, a buckskin APHA stallion, GW’s Lenas Drifter, a red roan AQHA stallion, and Crusov Fox, a cremello thoroughbred, along with Man of Faith. If anybody has more info that’d be neat because I’m just piecing together what I can from Facebook. The foal by Man of Faith is quite the cutie.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 pm

And while I’m at it, here’s Crusov Fox. He of course descends from the great palomino hunter sire Milkie.

Crusov Fox (CAN)
Issue of Gold x Golden Savannah, by Gold Apollo

On Whinny Farm’s website you can find more photos and videos of Crusov Fox, his ancestors, and his kiddos.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
ElPrado2

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Different breed, but Walkers have a lot of splash carriers.
My first horse was a huge retired show Walker. He was definitely splash. 4 stockings, bald face, strawberry roan and a blue eye. 17.2. You saw him coming. Oh, and flax mane and tail. I rented him out as a parade horse to drs and lawyers for Tampa's Gasparilla Parade.
ElPrado2

Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Different breed, but Walkers have a lot of splash carriers.
My first horse was a huge retired show Walker. He was definitely splash. 4 stockings, bald face, strawberry roan and a blue eye. 17.2. You saw him coming. Oh, and flax mane and tail. I rented him out as a parade horse to drs and lawyers for Tampa's Gasparilla Parade.
RugbyGirl

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I know The Opera House has come up a lot here but here is her now 3yo colt Grand Bernini by Shamexpress from a couple of weeks ago he was in training but has now gone for a break.
She lost her last foal by Mongolian Khan in a paddock accident and is currently in foal to Rageese. Interesting to note her owners keep sending her to First Season sires which guarantees talk about those sires when she foals or the foal sells!
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Mylute

Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Daring Duchess (Arch x A True Pussycat + Yes It's True), winner of the Flaming Page Stakes last Sunday, has an interesting face.

Dam A True Pussycat is a MSW, and Daring Duchess was a MSW and GSP before her latest win!

(Photos from Ramsey Farm's Twitter)
Mylute

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:38 am

Can't find a good close up picture, but True Royalty (Yes It's True x Highwire, by Street Cry), winner of the Torrey Pines Stakes yesterday, has a "ghost" on her face!

(Bottom image from Bloodhorse, top from Benoit)
Personal Ensign

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Can a foal continue to change color after their winter coat has been shed out completely?
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-