Photos/News about Broodmares

Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:01 pm

DJFiske @DJFiske
5h5 hours ago
Found out this morning Champion #UNTAPABLE will be retuning home with 2 #FRANKEL colts (1 at foot, 1 in utero). Hopefully 1 of the 2 will be half the racehorse #CRACKSMAN is. @EpsomRacecourse @JohnGosden1 @FrankieDettori
Private Thoughts

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Excited to here this. :)

I was so happy that they sent her to be bred to Frankel.

Big fan of both of them, so I am hoping they produce something special.
lurkey mclurker

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:37 pm

This is more of a broodmare question (I already checked Pedigree Query & there's nothing) - is there a way to find out if the 1991 mare Melrose Wine (Desert Wine x Melrose Nugget) was ever bred to Devil's Bag & produced a bay colt?

PQ shows she was bred to Devil His Due but that's not the foal I'm looking for. 8-)
mariasmon

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:33 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:This is more of a broodmare question (I already checked Pedigree Query & there's nothing) - is there a way to find out if the 1991 mare Melrose Wine (Desert Wine x Melrose Nugget) was ever bred to Devil's Bag & produced a bay colt?

PQ shows she was bred to Devil His Due but that's not the foal I'm looking for. 8-)
You can go to Equineline and pull a mare produce record for $1.
Flanders

Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:18 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:This is more of a broodmare question (I already checked Pedigree Query & there's nothing) - is there a way to find out if the 1991 mare Melrose Wine (Desert Wine x Melrose Nugget) was ever bred to Devil's Bag & produced a bay colt?

Wild Wine, 1997, bay colt - unraced, was a RNA at Keeneland 1998
lurkey mclurker

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Omgosh thank you Flanders! That was him. : )))) I wasn't sure if he was ever registered (I knew he never raced, if you'd seen him you'd know why, he was a quintessential Baby Huey but became a wonderful lesson horse :mrgreen: ).
lurkey mclurker

Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 pm

mariasmon wrote:

Thanks MM, I will know what to do if the situation ever arises again. :mrgreen:
Flanders

Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:32 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
mariasmon wrote:

Thanks MM, I will know what to do if the situation ever arises again. :mrgreen:
You can also just use either of Equineline's free services, the 5 cross search, and type in a year and the dam's name. Or use their Auction results Search by putting a dam name in and setting the horse type and years to all.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:02 pm

don'r know why this double posted...can't find a way to delete an accidental double post
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flanders

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:

You actually can see the progeny of any horse who is in pedigreequery.com. I couldn't do this earlier when your question first appears (work and family took my time), but here is a link to the pedigree page for Melrose Wine. If you click "Reports" and select "Progeny" from the drop-down menu, you can see that the bay colt, Wild Wine, born 1997, by Devil's Bag, appears to have been her first foal (or first named foal) -- http://www.pedigreequery.com/melrose+wine
I added him to pedigreequery after i looked him up.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:

You actually can see the progeny of any horse who is in pedigreequery.com. I couldn't do this earlier when your question first appears (work and family took my time), but here is a link to the pedigree page for Melrose Wine. If you click "Reports" and select "Progeny" from the drop-down menu, you can see that the bay colt, Wild Wine, born 1997, by Devil's Bag, appears to have been her first foal (or first named foal) -- http://www.pedigreequery.com/melrose+wine
...and the reason I asked here was *because* I had already looked on PQ and he was not listed there. ;-) Thanks for adding him, MM!
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:55 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:

...and the reason I asked here was *because* I had already looked on PQ and he was not listed there. ;-) Thanks for adding him, MM!
I know, but didn't know anyone here had updated the pedigreequery.com info. As mentioned, I came to this late, and I was just trying to be helpful.
Starine

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Can we show some love for Miesque?

I wasn't old enough to follow her when she was racing, but as a young fan I had a VHS of what was then considered to be the 10 best Breeders' Cup races ever. Her two Miles were featured of course, and I was just smitten with this filly who came over the States twice and whupped the boys. So I still get a kick when her name comes up in pedigrees.

Last weekend Alpha Centauri captured the Irish 1,000 Guineas. She is by Mastercraftsman with her third dam being Miesque.

And this weekend the handsome Study of Man, a son of Deep Impact, captures the Prix du Jockey Club. His second dam? Miesque.
Izvestia

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Miesque was a queen. I love watching her BC Mile races!
lurkey mclurker

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:12 am

Miesque was, and continues to be, amazing. A blue hen undoubtedly, like Toussaud. And it's interesting that some analytics/stats looks are considering inbreeding w respect to the mares... I think Urban Sea was mentioned as being similarly significant.

Miesque with Kingmambo as a foal, photo Anne Eberhardt via Bloodhorse:
Treve

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:47 am

love Miesque, definitely up there with Toussaud and Urban Sea for me.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
FlyToTheStars

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:21 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:DJFiske @DJFiske
5h5 hours ago
Found out this morning Champion #UNTAPABLE will be retuning home with 2 #FRANKEL colts (1 at foot, 1 in utero). Hopefully 1 of the 2 will be half the racehorse #CRACKSMAN is. @EpsomRacecourse @JohnGosden1 @FrankieDettori
Which farm is she going to be boarded?
Flanders

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:28 am

Winchell has their own farm where they keep their mares.
Treve

Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Littleprincessemma
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
starrydreamer

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... h-and-yarn

Nice article about Preach and Yarn. Preach is still alive and kicking (and probably biting) at 29, sharing a pasture with fellow pensioners Starry Dreamer (dam of War Front), Hidden Reserve (dam of Reload and Defer), Matlacha Pass (dam of Point of Entry and Pine Island), and Cunning (dam of Quota).