2018 foals

Ridan_Remembered

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Via Veneto's filly and her nurse mare, Rosie, seem to be bonding pretty good. It's been less than 24 hours since they were paired, yet they seem comfortable with each other. Good news.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:34 pm

Snow Fairy looks faaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous. Lovely foal as well. <3

While it does my heart glad to see Veneto '18 so happy with her nurse mare (that flippy tail just kills me), and Rosie is doing a marvelous job... I can't help but be sad about Via Veneto all over again. She was such a nice mare, and only eleven. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:32 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Snow Fairy looks faaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous. Lovely foal as well. <3

While it does my heart glad to see Veneto '18 so happy with her nurse mare (that flippy tail just kills me), and Rosie is doing a marvelous job... I can't help but be sad about Via Veneto all over again. She was such a nice mare, and only eleven. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I wish we knew what happened, but suppose that we never will. It is very, very sad. We can only take comfort in the filly and how great she's doing.

Speaking of nice mares, Bird Town still doesn't seem ready to foal. Her attendant just checked on her a bit a go. Not tonight.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:56 pm

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
7m7 minutes ago
G1 winner Rosalind just obliged this evening, first foal for the big mare a big SPEIGHTSTOWN colt.The plan is to go right back to SPEIGHTSTOWN this spring, they’re the perfect physical match. Special thanks to Atlas & the other farms, were very fortunate to have such support. #SF
lurkey mclurker

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:12 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Speaking of nice mares, Bird Town still doesn't seem ready to foal. Her attendant just checked on her a bit a go. Not tonight.
The vid clip from this morning said she's finally getting a bag - six days overdue - so maybe sooner rather than later. :mrgreen: I hope not tomorrow night though, I have a dinner meeting :-p
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Rosalind's face in that photo with her brand new foal is, as they say, giving me all the feels. :P :lol:
She looks both really happy and really confused. First time mom, so no surprise. ;)
short_lead

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:35 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
lurkey mclurker wrote:Snow Fairy looks faaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous. Lovely foal as well. <3

I wish we knew what happened, but suppose that we never will. It is very, very sad. We can only take comfort in the filly and how great she's doing.

I think dystocia was mentioned in one of the videos, the longest one with the doctor. Dystocia is often caused by obstruction, by malpresentation or perhaps the shoulder getting stuck. I can only guess that this was the problem, given that VV appeared to want to foal the night before but couldn't.
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 01, 2018 2:01 am

Bradley Racing Stable & Indian Ridge Farm is at Indian Ridge Farm / OTTBs / English Riding Lessons.
16 hrs · Frankfort, KY ·
Glad to say we had 2 babies last night and all turned out well. Sweet little colt on the left is out of Town Queen by Dominus and the other is a filly by Get Stormy. Both seem to be doing well this morning.
Sparrow Castle

Tue May 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Nicole Russo Retweeted
Hofburg Juddmonte @Hofburg_
56m56 minutes ago
As Hofburg recorded his final drill for the @KentuckyDerby, his dam Soothing Touch welcomed an American Pharoah colt to the family just hours before his breeze. @JuddmonteFarms Soothing Touch visits @Arrogatethegr8 for 2018
Ridan_Remembered

Tue May 01, 2018 5:14 pm

short_lead wrote:I think dystocia was mentioned in one of the videos, the longest one with the doctor. Dystocia is often caused by obstruction, by malpresentation or perhaps the shoulder getting stuck. I can only guess that this was the problem, given that VV appeared to want to foal the night before but couldn't.
@ short_lead, thank you very much for this explanation. I had never heard the term before, so could not quite catch it when the vet mentioned it in that video. It helps to at least understand what likely happened. Via's foal is just a darling.

Speaking of darling fillies, Brian Trump of Rockingham Ranch (far as I know, not one of the president's relatives) is justifiably proud of this filly by California Chrome x American Farrah by Pioneerof the Nile. He's so excited that he misstates that the 3-month-old foal is a weanling, and he has Derby dreams: https://twitter.com/realbriantrump/stat ... 86241?s=12
Treve

Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
short_lead wrote:I think dystocia was mentioned in one of the videos, the longest one with the doctor. Dystocia is often caused by obstruction, by malpresentation or perhaps the shoulder getting stuck. I can only guess that this was the problem, given that VV appeared to want to foal the night before but couldn't.
@ short_lead, thank you very much for this explanation. I had never heard the term before, so could not quite catch it when the vet mentioned it in that video. It helps to at least understand what likely happened. Via's foal is just a darling.

Speaking of darling fillies, Brian Trump of Rockingham Ranch (far as I know, not one of the president's relatives) is justifiably proud of this filly by California Chrome x American Farrah by Pioneerof the Nile. He's so excited that he misstates that the 3-month-old foal is a weanling, and he has Derby dreams: https://twitter.com/realbriantrump/stat ... 86241?s=12
Not misstated... he genuinely believes weanling is applied to all foals under a year
Patricia R. M.
@Catalina_Two
13h13 hours ago
Replying to @realBrianTrump @KentuckyDerby and 3 others
Weaned? She's only 3 months old and appears to still be with her mom in the video. Aren't foals usually weaned at around 5 months old?

Brian Trump
@realBrianTrump
6h6 hours ago
She’s a weanling. Meaning she hasn’t turned one yet. She will be with her mother a year.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
short_lead

Tue May 01, 2018 6:11 pm

You're welcome. I am not a vet but have an interest in all things animal. I had been following Via Veneto's Foal Patrol videos and had seen her laboring the night before. So sorry she lost her life but after viewing the videos, I decided to check out the meaning of the word, dystocia, for my own frame of reference.

Thankfully, her lovely little filly survived and is doing well with her foster mom.

I hope Bird Town doesn't have any issues, I don't think so anyway as every time I check, she's either trying to sleep or eating like a horse.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue May 01, 2018 7:21 pm

@Treve, thanks for that...very interesting. In any case, that Chrome x American Farrah filly is really quite something.

@short_lead, yes, Via's filly is doing great. I adore how she's always switching her little tail, even when she seems to be sleeping. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bird Town worries me a little, but she doesn't seem to be in any distress.
short_lead

Tue May 01, 2018 8:06 pm

I think Bird Town's people mentioned that she tends to go days over due date. She really doesn't seem distressed but it's something to watch the Amazing Moving Belly...
Treve

Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm

They said she tends to be 7-10 days late on average. Her due date was April 26th, so she's "only" 5 days late.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
The Doctors Saint

Tue May 01, 2018 11:27 pm

She does look like she's more relaxed around her tail head from above. I too have heard from acquaintances that their mares have been a week or more overdue this year.
Summer Bird

Wed May 02, 2018 1:59 am

F. (5/1) Dialed In-Switched Up. Dam is a half to Switch

C. (4/26) Distorted Humor-Jeweled Lady. Jeweled Lady is the grand dam of Evening Jewel

stark

Wed May 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Richard Mandella and Beholder discussing Q B One’s future

https://twitter.com/spendthriftfarm/sta ... 1067573250
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Maybe discussing a possible name change? :lol:
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 pm

:lol: we should be so lucky! :lol: