2018 foals

Ridan_Remembered

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Coolmore Retweeted
nathan mccauley@natemccauley
1h1 hour ago
Filly by my favorite stallion, Munnings, out of Cape Lady. @coolmorestud
Munnings is the sire of Colerful Bride, dam of the new The People's Horse filly by California Chrome. :D
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Headley Bell @headleybell
31m31 minutes ago
MISS CHAPIN dam of G1 winning COFFEE CLIQUE & her day old Point of Entry c. owned by the Amermans
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Pretty amazing...Frappe is a 1996 model.

RP Bloodstock Retweeted
Norelands @NorelandsStud
6h6 hours ago
Great to have this filly arrive. First foal for 5 yrs out of star mare Frappe. She is by @coolmorestud Australia and a sister to G1 wnrs Power/Curvy and G2 wnr Thakafaat. Pictured today at 3 weeks old with her foster mare. #homebred #futurebroodmare
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 pm

She's very pretty, but...why is the Australia/Frappe filly with a foster mare? What happened to the 22-year-old 'star mare?' :(
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:51 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:She's very pretty, but...why is the Australia/Frappe filly with a foster mare? What happened to the 22-year-old 'star mare?' :(
Good question. The foal is lovely.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:She's very pretty, but...why is the Australia/Frappe filly with a foster mare? What happened to the 22-year-old 'star mare?' :(
Good question. The foal is lovely.
The farm didn't say but I'm going to assume Frappe's okay and just not able to raise the foal. I don't know if any of her other foals were raised by nurse mares. It's not that unusual for babies of fragile/sick mares to go on a nurse mare. As far as I know this is a well-regarded professional breeding operation and, while others may disagree with continuing to breed her, it's their call. They were the top consignors at this years Tattersalls foal sale. Remember the agony Barbara Banke went through re the decision about Rachel Alexandra when the vets gave the go-ahead to breed her again. I'm optimistic this farm wouldn't have kept trying with Frappe if it meant death for the mare.

I think I should quit posting stories like these. I thought it would be educational for those unfamiliar with this side of the industry. No part of this industry is without its risks and highs and lows. These things are happening in my corner of the country too, but those horses aren't as well know as the ones I post about. It doesn't seem fair to post only the "highs" of the breeding side and ignore the "lows" which gives an incomplete picture.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Please don't stop posting your stories, SC. I think most of us know that problems can arise at ANY breeding facility.
I wasn't implying that Norelands did anything wrong but, since they described Frappe as a 'star mare,' and pointed out that this was her first foal in five years, no one should be surprised that people (like me) are curious to know why her foal is now with a foster mare.
:?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Please don't stop posting your stories, SC. I think most of us know that problems can arise at ANY breeding facility.
I wasn't implying that Norelands did anything wrong but, since they described Frappe as a 'star mare,' and pointed out that this was her first foal in five years, no one should be surprised that people (like me) are curious to know why her foal is now with a foster mare.
Oh it's appropriate to comment on it, but the farm was celebrating the birth of another filly after years of Frappe not producing for whatever reason. I think they would have mentioned it if they lost their special mare. I was happy along with them, but I'm somewhat of an optimist.
lurkey mclurker

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Well whoever has the stall next to Bird Town has a chestnut foal, I just saw it through Bird Town's grilled window :mrgreen: It had a bandage around its belly, is that for the umbilical or...?

Bird Town is sleeping as usual, chasing something the way her legs are twitching :lol: or maybe reliving her glory days on the track.

ETA I went back and looked at the footage again (it just happened in the last few minutes) and it's definitely a bandage. Foal looks chestnut? with possibly a blaze and some white stockings.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:19 am

WinStar Farm @WinStarFarm
12h12 hours ago
Happy #FoalFriday! Check out this unique TOURIST foal o/o Cinque Bella, bred by Rodrigo Cunha. A face to remember! #MyDadIsFasterThanYours
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:25 am

Shades of Apache Cat! :o
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:WinStar Farm @WinStarFarm
12h12 hours ago
Happy #FoalFriday! Check out this unique TOURIST foal o/o Cinque Bella, bred by Rodrigo Cunha. A face to remember! #MyDadIsFasterThanYours
Wow! Very striking foal. Thanks for posting the pictures.

@Lurkey Mclurker, for me watching the mares and births on foal cams is both wonderful and nerve wracking. High anxiety combined with enormous relief when everything goes just fine. I feel totally bipolar, hahahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Della

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:20 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Brandywine Farm @BrandywineTBs
4h4 hours ago
Same sire- Danza, and same dam- Joanie's Jewel. Left is 2017 and right is 2018. :)

Thanks, SC, for these really cool pictures. What a contrast. Color genes are so interesting in horses.
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 pm

Della wrote: Thanks, SC, for these really cool pictures. What a contrast. Color genes are so interesting in horses.
So true. The contrast is amazing.
Retrospectiv

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Bay foal on the left who inherited grey from mom. Chestnut foal on right who looks to maybe not have inherited grey.
The black based foals with grey get such neat hyper-pigmentation. Much more dramatic than chestnuts with grey.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Both 'Blackie' and 'Red' are nice-looking youngsters, but I love the near-black coloring of the 2017 foal. Wish he/she could stay that color.
Brandywine Farm must have been very happy with how 'Blackie' looks, since they returned to Danza. Both foals are a credit to that young stallion.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Please don't stop posting your stories, SC. I think most of us know that problems can arise at ANY breeding facility.
Oh it's appropriate to comment on it, but the farm was celebrating the birth of another filly after years of Frappe not producing for whatever reason. I think they would have mentioned it if they lost their special mare. I was happy along with them, but I'm somewhat of an optimist.
Here's the story.

First foal in five years for dam of three Royal Ascot winners
There was a welcome arrival at Norelands Stud in County Kilkenny last month with top-class producer Frappe delivering her first surviving foal - a filly by Australia - in five years.

"Frappe's a wonderful mare, we're very lucky to have her," said Harry McCalmont of Norelands. "Her milk was a little bit weak so we've used a foster mare with the foal, and she's taken to her new mother very well."

Frappe, a daughter of Ichinor, managed the notable breeding feat of producing no less than three Royal Ascot winners: Thakafaat, winner of Ribblesdale Stakes in 2005 when the meeting was held at York; Power, who landed the Coventry Stakes before going on to win the National Stakes and Irish 2,000 Guineas; and Curvy, a daughter of Galileo who emulated her older half-sister by winning the Ribblesdale in 2015.

Frappe also served up Applauded, the dam of three black-type performers including Alphabet, who was second to Caravaggio in last year's Flying Five Stakes.
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... ers/328426
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for that info. :D
Sparrow Castle

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
3h3 hours ago
Tidal Pool foaled today.. A pretty PIONEER OF THE NILE filly. She was a proper race mare, placed in the Kentucky Oaks and is the dam of the promising filly graded stakes filly Torrent. She will visit Ghostzapper this spring #SF
Sparrow Castle

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 pm

This is interesting...and a bit surprising.

Nicole Russo Retweeted
Good Win Farm @GoodWinFarm92
3h3 hours ago
The best Louisiana Bred filly of all time Hallowed Dreams foaled her Flat Out @spendthriftfarm @marktoothaker this morning. Was a honor to be able to get her infoal for client and friend @NathangNgranger last year. #Royalty @DRFNevills @DRFRampellini

The latest article I found on Google is from 2011.
http://www.drf.com/blogs/hallowed-dreams-life-slow-lane