Stallion News

Northport

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

The man claims that no gay people exist in Chechnya, wben in reality they have all either been forced out/exiled by their families or systemically murdered by Kadyrov’s regime. The man is a dictator and a pawn of Putin’s who has no regard for human rights. Instead of pitying this man because I made fun of his cat, maybe do some research on how he is incredibly problematic.
weeeeeeeee
Ziggypop

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Northport wrote:The man claims that no gay people exist in Chechnya, wben in reality they have all either been forced out/exiled by their families or systemically murdered by Kadyrov’s regime. The man is a dictator and a pawn of Putin’s who has no regard for human rights. Instead of pitying this man because I made fun of his cat, maybe do some research on how he is incredibly problematic.
well said.
Treve

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Northport wrote:The man claims that no gay people exist in Chechnya, wben in reality they have all either been forced out/exiled by their families or systemically murdered by Kadyrov’s regime. The man is a dictator and a pawn of Putin’s who has no regard for human rights. Instead of pitying this man because I made fun of his cat, maybe do some research on how he is incredibly problematic.
Agreed. There are concentration camps in Chechnya for gay people, to such an extent that Canada has had to secretly and quietly intervene, granting asylum to LGBT people and smuggling them out of said concentration camps. There is of course, as expected, no due process, no form of trial (imagine treating gay people worse than Iran does... in Iran they also claim there are no gays in the country, but at least when they find one they go through the judicial system even if it's a farce...)
Human rights organizations, including the Toronto-based Rainbow Railroad, had raised the alarm that young gay men were being kidnapped, beaten and even killed under a program sponsored by the Chechen government.
His ordeal, he says, began when men in military garb arrived at his workplace. They grabbed him, stuffed him into the trunk of a car and took him to a secret police station where he was beaten and tortured.

"You're beaten, sometimes kicked, sometimes objects are used but the last resort is always electroshock."
You can read more about it here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/f ... -1.4274544

And that's just one aspect of it. He has a pretty meaty section in his wikipedia page regarding allegations of human rights abuses. Including but not limited to, assassinations, brutal torture and murders, rape and sexual abuse, kidnappings... Not to mention everything his men do on his own orders or things he lets them do in impunity, such as beheadings.

He's a state-sanctioned sociopath whose loyalty to Putin borders on obsession which in turn means Putin gives him free reign to do whatever the hell he wants. If anything, Catalina my first thought when I read about the cat was "run kitty run, as fast as you can" and it's hard to say if he was more upset about losing his cat due to genuine emotional attachment or because of the value (Bengals are pretty pricey and still fairly rare).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Treve wrote:
Agreed. There are concentration camps in Chechnya for gay people, to such an extent that Canada has had to secretly and quietly intervene, granting asylum to LGBT people and smuggling them out of said concentration camps. There is of course, as expected, no due process, no form of trial (imagine treating gay people worse than Iran does... in Iran they also claim there are no gays in the country, but at least when they find one they go through the judicial system even if it's a farce...)
Human rights organizations, including the Toronto-based Rainbow Railroad, had raised the alarm that young gay men were being kidnapped, beaten and even killed under a program sponsored by the Chechen government.
His ordeal, he says, began when men in military garb arrived at his workplace. They grabbed him, stuffed him into the trunk of a car and took him to a secret police station where he was beaten and tortured.

"You're beaten, sometimes kicked, sometimes objects are used but the last resort is always electroshock."
You can read more about it here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/f ... -1.4274544

And that's just one aspect of it. He has a pretty meaty section in his wikipedia page regarding allegations of human rights abuses. Including but not limited to, assassinations, brutal torture and murders, rape and sexual abuse, kidnappings... Not to mention everything his men do on his own orders or things he lets them do in impunity, such as beheadings.

He's a state-sanctioned sociopath whose loyalty to Putin borders on obsession which in turn means Putin gives him free reign to do whatever the hell he wants. If anything, Catalina my first thought when I read about the cat was "run kitty run, as fast as you can" and it's hard to say if he was more upset about losing his cat due to genuine emotional attachment or because of the value (Bengals are pretty pricey and still fairly rare).
I agree with everything you said, except that the cat is/was a Toyger, a cross between a Bengal cat and a striped domestic shorthair. I rescued a Bengal cat when she was a kitten (the most amazing and smartest cat ever, responded to voice commands, alerted me when someone or some animal was near my home, turned on the lights when it started getting dark, etc.). I was heartbroken when she died at age 16 a few years ago. She and her family weren't as big as his cat so I went looking. I would never let a Bengal, a Toyger, or any cat that didn't have an outside job (like a barn cat) roam freely. I am really hoping the cat was found and adopted by a loving cat person and is living a good life. That man is repulsive!
Treve

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 pm

My bad, the news reports had called the cat a bengal! But yes I sure hope that kitty found a good loving home!

Back to stallion news... Uncle Mo and Strong Mandate had the highest selling 2 year olds at the OBS March Sale:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ian-prices
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

tachyon

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:48 am

Scat Daddy(USA) sired his first graded winner in Japan, when 3yo colt Mr Melody(USA)[o/o Trusty Lady(USA) by Deputy Minister(CAN)] won the G3 Falcon Staes 1400m turf at Chukyo on March 17th 2018.
That was his first time out on the turf.
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001241663/
5-3-2-0.

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bmUZV_5xI
1st. (#10) Mr Melody(USA) C3
2nd. (#7) Asakusa Genki(USA) C3 Stormy Atlantic(USA) x Amelia(USA) by Dixieland Band(USA)
3rd. (#8) Frontier(JPN) C3 Daiwa Major(JPN) x Grace Land(JPN) by Tony Bin(IRE)
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:40 pm

This is the first time I've seen a close up of the KRA Stud Farm silks.
Iggyda 2015 C (Ecton Park - Sensorious Kiss, by Kissin Kris)

Joe Nevills @DRFNevills
4m4 minutes ago
A 4th-place finish for Korean-bred Iggyda in R2 at #Turfway. KRA Stud Farm has a pretty cool silks design.
Northport

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Darley homebred and stallion Poet's Voice has died at age 11 from a heart attack. He was a decent young stallion, with his best performer being last year's Irish Champion and Champion Stakes runner-up Poet's Word.
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:08 pm

Champion Racehorse And Sire Thunder Gulch Euthanized At 26
Champion 3-year-old and champion sire Thunder Gulch has been euthanized at the age of 26 due to the infirmities of old age at Coolmore America's Ashford Stud in Versailles, Ky.

Known for his toughness and fighting qualities Thunder Gulch was the star of the 1995 Triple Crown races when he won the G1 Kentucky Derby, G1 Belmont Stakes and was third in the G1 Preakness Stakes in the colors of Michael Tabor. In addition to his classic wins Thunder Gulch also earned top-level victories in the G1 Florida Derby and G1 Travers Stakes which propelled him to the title of champion 3-year-old male of 1995.

Retired to Ashford Stud for the 1996 breeding season, Thunder Gulch went on to a highly successful stud career that was highlighted by a champion sire title in 2001 when his star performers included Horse of the Year and future Hall of Famer Point Given. His other Grade 1 winners in USA included Spain, Circular Quay, Balance, Tweedside, Shotgun Gulch, Sense of Style and J. B.'s Thunder. Thunder Gulch also left his mark on the international bloodstock scene when spending seasons in Australia, Japan, Argentina and Chile during his stud career.

“It is a very sad day for us here at Ashford as Thunder Gulch has been a pleasure to be around all these years and has left a major legacy at the farm as the first champion sire to reside here,” commented Coolmore America manager Dermot Ryan. “He had a remarkable 3-year-old campaign in the hands of Wayne Lukas and Gary Stevens and provided Michael and Doreen Tabor and their family with some great days.

“He was an incredibly tough and genuine horse on the track and we are very grateful to the Tabors for entrusting us with his stud career,” Ryan added. “I also want to say a special thanks to our stallion manager, Richard Barry, and his team for the exceptional care they have provided Thunder Gulch during his stud career and since he was pensioned from stud duties.”
Thunder Gulch at Coolmore Ashford Stud
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... anized-26/
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 pm

RIP Thunder. Your place in the pantheon of the breed is assured.
Treve

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 pm

So many stallions passing on lately :( RIP Thunder Gulch.
One thing they didn't mention in that obituary is to boot, he babysat a lot of the new stud arrivals at Ashford and helped them transition from racing to stallion life in his latter years. The managers thought he was a good influence because of his calm demeanour, showing the youngins you don't need to go crazy and run when you're turned out. He was American Pharoah's pasture neighbour since his arrival two years ago.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Psychotic Parakeet

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Trempolino is gone too. Lived to be a remarkable 34 years old.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/o ... -34/324068
I wanna do bad things with you.
Izvestia

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Treve wrote:So many stallions passing on lately :( RIP Thunder Gulch.
One thing they didn't mention in that obituary is to boot, he babysat a lot of the new stud arrivals at Ashford and helped them transition from racing to stallion life in his latter years. The managers thought he was a good influence because of his calm demeanour, showing the youngins you don't need to go crazy and run when you're turned out. He was American Pharoah's pasture neighbour since his arrival two years ago.
He was such a cool stallion. He left his mark, no doubt.
Starine

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Always liked Thunder Gulch's name, and he was such a good racehorse I'm a little surprised he hasn't been voted into the Hall of Fame. I think he would have been even better as an older horse.

Regarding Trempolino, I had no idea he was even around up and kicking. What a ripe old age.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Champion two-year-old Toormore put down after suffering fatal injury in Dubai
Former champion two-year-old Toormore has had to be put down after suffering a serious leg injury in training in Dubai, Godolphin announced on Wednesday.

The son of Arakan – described as a "game-changer" for former owners Middleham Park Racing – won seven of his 23 starts and more than £1 million in prize-money during his glittering career, the highlight of which was his victory in the Group 1 National Stakes at the Curragh in 2013.

Then trained by Richard Hannon snr and owned by Middleham Park and James Pak, Toormore was crowned champion juvenile that year. He made a successful return the following spring when landing the Group 3 Craven Stakes under a penalty, and subsequently finished seventh in the 2,000 Guineas.

He was placed at Group 1 level as a three-year-old and was then purchased by Godolphin the following year, making a victorious start in his new colours in the Group 2 Lennox Stakes at Goodwood.

In 2016, Toormore won the Group 2 Sandown Mile and acquitted himself well at Group 1 level before being retired to stand as a stallion.

After proving unsuccessful commercially in his new career, Toormore was returned to training with Charlie Appleby last year with a view to being campaigned in Dubai this winter.

Appleby said: "Unfortunately Toormore met with a setback in Dubai which meant we had to put him down.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/mi ... ury/324257
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:48 pm

That sucks in so many ways. Poor Toormore. :(
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 am

With Laminitis Battle in Rearview, Lord Nelson Ready for More
In many ways, Lord Nelson (Pulpit)’s young stallion career at Spendthrift Farm has been a story of benchmarks. After a well-documented battle with Laminitis that forced him to miss the 2017 breeding season, the chestnut was given a clean bill of health later last year and, on Feb. 26, had his first mare confirmed in foal. Now just shy of two months into the breeding season, Lord Nelson has passed every test with flying colors and appears ready to handle an increased book size. Ned Toffey, Spendthrift Farm General Manager, said Wednesday that the farm plans on adding a handful of extra mares to his 2018 book, which was intentionally kept on the small size for the stallion’s first season at stud.

“We’re keeping him on a somewhat limited book, but he’s actually doing so well that we’re just now going to open up a few more spots for selected, quality mares,” Toffey said. “We’re doing it because we’re about seven weeks into the breeding season, and the horse is really proving to us that the workload is not a problem at all for him.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/wi ... -for-more/
serenassong

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Izvestia wrote:
Treve wrote:So many stallions passing on lately :( RIP Thunder Gulch.
He was such a cool stallion. He left his mark, no doubt.
Indeed- and his dam- Line of Thunder was an absolute sweetheart when I met her.

RIP
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:18 pm

As an aside- Ive seen a few Flintshire foals- all are really good sized foals with nice bone.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Sparrow Castle

Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:04 pm

For the pedigree geeks on TBC, it's great to see Sid Fernando writing for the TDN now. At times when I've been able to see his articles, I've found them fascinating and informative.

Increased Turf Opportunities Will Re-Strengthen the Breed
In 1991, only 5% of all flat races in the United States were on turf. By last year, that figure had risen to 17%. The incremental increase of turf racing over the past 27 years is vivid in the accompanying graph, which was extrapolated from racing data provided by researcher Chris Rossi (See below). This trend to turf is even more significant than the data suggests because in 2017 there were almost 50% fewer races than in 1991. The net effect is that turf racing is playing a greater role in the sport as the industry shrinks. Throw in that 39% of graded races in America were contested on turf in 2017, and you get the picture.

Stud farms in Kentucky have been adjusting to the change. In 2018, 14 Kentucky nurseries are offering 30 stallions that either won or placed in Grade I turf races (plus one, Violence, who was a Grade I winner on all-weather) with first foals age three or younger (See Chart below). That’s a revelation, but it’s not unexpected, because the trend line in the Rossi data suggests that turf racing will continue to grow in the ensuing years. Note that the Breeders’ Cup recently announced that its newest race is a $1-million sprint on turf for juveniles.

“Well, there was a prejudice against turf sires at one point,” said Pope McLean Sr. of Crestwood Farm, which stands the War Front horse Jack Milton. “For a while, people just didn’t want to touch them, but recently, with Kitten’s Joy and others like War Front, and even a horse like Artie Schiller, breaking barriers, things are changing. We were pretty pleased to get 100-plus mares to Jack Milton in his first year, and they seem to have caught on at the sales, too.”

Back in 1991, Walmac International’s Nureyev led all U.S.-based sires by yearling average and Claiborne Farm’s Danzig led the North American General Sire List. Both sons of Northern Dancer were outstanding turf sires and were favorites of European buyers, just as Danzig’s son War Front, also at Claiborne, is today. But Nureyev and Danzig operated in a different landscape than do War Front and Kitten’s Joy. For example, when Kitten’s Joy led the General Sire List in 2013, he did so primarily with domestic turf and all-weather horses that had more opportunities beyond dirt than ever before; in 1991, Danzig needed significant main-track runners–like Dance Smartly, the Canadian Triple Crown and Breeders’ Cup Distaff winner that season, when she was also named Horse of the Year in Canada and champion 3-year-old filly in the U.S.–to land the sire championship.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/in ... the-breed/