2018 foals

lurkey mclurker

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Today's vid clip says she has been waxing, with some on & off dripping, for eight days now. The vet LaV's owner was speaking with said it could be tonight, or it could be five days from now... :lol:

Side note, I had not seen the second update about It's In His Kiss '18 and I hope she pulls through. I wonder if she has been able to stand & nurse on her own, she looked so precious but very weak in the pics that were posted... :(

ETA: and I still don't see an official update or edit, just a few comments in the announcement tweet, "heard on other websites" that the filly was taken to a clinic due to meconium, so if it was up it's since been removed. @nmrhof is directing all enquiries to the Edition Farm email... :?
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 pm

There have been others posting about the It's In His Kiss filly, and the news isn't good. The post below is on Dawn Mellen's (After the Finish Line) FB page. Sending positive thoughts and prayers...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... f=ufi&rc=p

Alex Puderbaugh
Dawn, here is a screenshot of a post by the farm’s manager on the thread on the National Museum of Racing & Hall of Fame page. Gives a few more details.
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Poor little thing. Seems like everything that could go wrong for her did. Does anyone know if they keep the mare with her foal when the foal is so sick like this? It's got to be hard on the mare too.
SSilence86

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Sending healing thoughts for her, her dam & her connections.

I really hope that little girl pulls through.
Updates as we see them.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Oooh thank you for sharing the info from the barn manager, I'm so glad the filly is stable atm and hope she bounces back quickly! And here's hoping that LaV delivers uneventfully, there's been enough excitement for them to deal with. <3
Summer Bird

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:59 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Poor little thing. Seems like everything that could go wrong for her did. Does anyone know if they keep the mare with her foal when the foal is so sick like this? It's got to be hard on the mare too.
Yes the mare stays with the foal. Wouldn’t recommend moving the mare as it can stress the foal and make the foal even more sick. Mare would also not be happy to be removed from her foal.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 am

Summer Bird wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Poor little thing. Seems like everything that could go wrong for her did. Does anyone know if they keep the mare with her foal when the foal is so sick like this? It's got to be hard on the mare too.
Yes the mare stays with the foal. Wouldn’t recommend moving the mare as it can stress the foal and make the foal even more sick. Mare would also not be happy to be removed from her foal.
Thanks Summer Bird. It's good to know they aren't separated. I know we all are pulling so hard for this foal to get well and strong. It's very early here and I'm getting ready for work, so probably won't get any news about her until this evening. Get will little filly.
Personal Ensign

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 pm

If La Verdad went into labor while she is out in the paddock during the day would they let her foal outside with the snow or would they bring her inside?

Sending positive thoughts for the Its In His Kiss foal
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
TBird

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Personal Ensign wrote:If La Verdad went into labor while she is out in the paddock during the day would they let her foal outside with the snow or would they bring her inside?

Sending positive thoughts for the Its In His Kiss foal
They would bring her in. I'm sure someone is keeping an eye on her.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:52 pm

I'm hoping for an encouraging update about the It's In His Kiss filly.
LostADream

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Personal Ensign wrote:If La Verdad went into labor while she is out in the paddock during the day would they let her foal outside with the snow or would they bring her inside?
Bring her in. The foaling barn I worked in kept the mares nearing due dates in paddocks close to the barn, so we could keep an eye on them throughout the day. We did have a few that went into labor while outside; they were caught the moment they began showing signs and brought in with plenty of time to prep for the foaling.
Ziggypop

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:There have been others posting about the It's In His Kiss filly, and the news isn't good. The post below is on Dawn Mellen's (After the Finish Line) FB page. Sending positive thoughts and prayers...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... f=ufi&rc=p

Alex Puderbaugh
Dawn, here is a screenshot of a post by the farm’s manager on the thread on the National Museum of Racing & Hall of Fame page. Gives a few more details.
Anyone know anything more about this little girl?
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 pm

I love the owner's sense of humor. :lol:
March 14th, 2018
This morning's update from Annette Orlando, Edition's Farm Manager: significant changes in quantity of wax; evidence of drippings on her legs.

So, what does this mean?

It means we're all still waiting La Verdad!
I'll be at a hockey game tonight (most likely) and I just know if I go, she'll foal and I'll miss it. :roll:
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Ziggypop wrote:Anyone know anything more about this little girl?
Wish we could get some news. The little filly can't know it, of course, but there's lots of people pulling for her recovery.

@Lurkey...I'm certainly no expert by any means, but at the moment (7:20pm EDT) LaV doesn't look like a mare who's going to give birth anytime very soon.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Usually in cases like the Freud/It’s In His Kiss filly, I'd say no news is good news...but these two labor/birth events (premature separation of the placenta aka red bag and meconium aspiration) is double trouble.

After the Finish Line (Dawn Mellen) posted "For further updates, please email the farm at, vivien@editionfarm.com." Don't think I'll see any updates unless and until it comes from the farm.

For whatever it's worth, Matthew Maiello, who works at Edition Farm, said a couple of days ago that the vets were optimistic, that both mom and foal were still alive, and that they come from a family of fighters.
Summer Bird

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Well if this makes anyone feel a little better, we had a mare that had placentitis without us knowing until the day she foaled and the foaling ended up being a red bag and the foal was covered in meconium. He made a full recovery.
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I waffled back and forth for about an hour today and finally sent a polite email this evening sort of introducing our interest from the forum, and saying I/we understood if they weren't going to post any updates, but that we were rooting for the filly and mare and hoped there would be good news.

And now I'm feeling like an internet stalker and embarrassed and I should go crawl under a blanket and go back to lurking. Ack, eep. /o\

And yes, Summer Bird, that makes me feel a little better, thank you for sharing your experience. <3
Ziggypop

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:I waffled back and forth for about an hour today and finally sent a polite email this evening sort of introducing our interest from the forum, and saying I/we understood if they weren't going to post any updates, but that we were rooting for the filly and mare and hoped there would be good news.

And now I'm feeling like an internet stalker and embarrassed and I should go crawl under a blanket and go back to lurking. Ack, eep. /o\

And yes, Summer Bird, that makes me feel a little better, thank you for sharing your experience. <3
Thank you for taking the time simply letting them know we care, without prejudice.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:I waffled back and forth for about an hour today and finally sent a polite email this evening sort of introducing our interest from the forum, and saying I/we understood if they weren't going to post any updates, but that we were rooting for the filly and mare and hoped there would be good news.

Lurkey, don't feel like that for one minute. The site would not have publicized the email address if the farm did not welcome polite good wishes. We are all pulling for that mare and foal, and maybe knowing people care helps bring some comfort to those who are close to the mare and her baby. We can only hope.
SSilence86

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 pm

I did the very same thing last night. Continued thoughts for her & all her connections.