Stallion News

tachyon

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:06 am

South Vigorous(USA), 1996H. End Sweep(USA) x Darkest Star(USA) by Star de Naskra(USA), died of colic on March 4th 2018. :cry:

That's very sad news and a huge loss to the breeders in Japan, as he has been industry's most reliable sire for the dirt racing especially in the sprint races.
In the Japanese sire ranking in 2017, he was 10th overall and 2nd for dirt.
He covered 173 mares in 2017 and had been fully booked for this season.
May he rest in peace.

at Arrow Stud, Japan
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000310467/
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:14 am

Sad news about South Vigorous. He was a good-looking stallion and, what's particularly interesting is that he had War Admiral in his 4th generation and, of course, Man o' War in his 5th. It's very rare to see those horses so close up in a pedigree these days. I'm sorry for his loss to the Japanese breeding program, Tachyon. :(
lurkey mclurker

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

His sire, End Sweep, died too young as well. :(
Treve

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... deep-class
I suspect Cairo Prince will be hot in the coming years.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Northport

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Has there even been this much buzz for a freshman stallion who raced 5 times, won 2 G2s, and retired after an injury while prepping for the Kentucky Derby? Whose fee has been almost tripled before his first progeny even hit the track?

That's only partly a rhetorical question, I'd be interested if anyone does recall when a horse with a relatively modest (ie. no G1 wins) track record, decent pedigree (though POTN blew up after Cairo Prince stood his first season), standing for a not really eye watering sum.

I know Danzig, Malibu Moon, etc. barely raced before they were retired to stud, but where people as excited about their first crops as we're seeing with Cairo Prince?

Idk, I've just been following Cairo Prince for a few years now, and it's fascinating how there has been so much hype from everyone involved with him. I'm really excited for his first crop to hit the track.
weeeeeeeee
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:40 am

Great googly moogly has Kizuna ever filled out. :shock: Think he's gunning for best Barbie locks against Orfevre, too... :lol:

photos via @nabecci
Izvestia

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:18 am

Northport wrote:Has there even been this much buzz for a freshman stallion who raced 5 times, won 2 G2s, and retired after an injury while prepping for the Kentucky Derby? Whose fee has been almost tripled before his first progeny even hit the track?

That's only partly a rhetorical question, I'd be interested if anyone does recall when a horse with a relatively modest (ie. no G1 wins) track record, decent pedigree (though POTN blew up after Cairo Prince stood his first season), standing for a not really eye watering sum.

I know Danzig, Malibu Moon, etc. barely raced before they were retired to stud, but where people as excited about their first crops as we're seeing with Cairo Prince?

Idk, I've just been following Cairo Prince for a few years now, and it's fascinating how there has been so much hype from everyone involved with him. I'm really excited for his first crop to hit the track.

Since Danzig and Malibu Moon were freshmen, the industry has changed. I think it’s noteworthy that people are so attracted to him because he’s not getting super early horses, but is expected to have later developers. Or mid-range developers.
Let’s face it - he was very talented and we never really got to see what he was made of. He’s a mystery in that regard.
Life At Zen

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Royal Mo to Stand at South Africa's Klawervlei Stud

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... rvlei-stud

Glad to hear he fully recovered!
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:26 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Great googly moogly has Kizuna ever filled out. :shock: Think he's gunning for best Barbie locks against Orfevre, too... :lol:
Kizuna is beautiful, but nobody compares to Orfevre in the looks department, in my opinion.
Northport

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Give Maurice a year or two to grow out his mane and I think he will blow Kizuna and Orfevre out of the water. :lol:
weeeeeeeee
lurkey mclurker

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Northport wrote:Give Maurice a year or two to grow out his mane and I think he will blow Kizuna and Orfevre out of the water. :lol:
Good point LOL :lol: There's a reason why the Aussies call him the Beast From the East!
Treve

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:29 am

Izvestia wrote:
Northport wrote:Has there even been this much buzz for a freshman stallion who raced 5 times, won 2 G2s, and retired after an injury while prepping for the Kentucky Derby? Whose fee has been almost tripled before his first progeny even hit the track?

Since Danzig and Malibu Moon were freshmen, the industry has changed. I think it’s noteworthy that people are so attracted to him because he’s not getting super early horses, but is expected to have later developers. Or mid-range developers.
Let’s face it - he was very talented and we never really got to see what he was made of. He’s a mystery in that regard.
I think that's part of the excitement, the mystery. Add to that the Triple Crown Fairy Dust from Pharoah, followed up with Classic Empire's undefeated Champion juvenile season (-the antics in the Hopeful) showing that PotN could be some kind of sire. Then when his foals started hitting the ground they got a lot of good comments, and his yearlings were so well received. That his yearlings are so consistent and impressive in spite of probably being mid-range/later developers probably just adds to the anticipation. With the recent loss of Holy Bull I'm doubly rooting for Cairo Prince. It's even more exciting to consider that this first crop was what 10k a pop? And the quality of mares he's gotten has only increased in the following crops.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Izvestia

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:04 am

I’m a super fan of the sire line through Unbridled, and I am always rooting for them to do well.
Interesting that we’ve got two of them this year that have done so well from Unbridled/Fappiano in Will Take Charge and Cairo Prince. Both are big, strapping individuals who will have late developers that go a distance. I can’t wait to see how they do!
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Take Charge Indy is the #1 second crop sire in North America by a wide margin so far in 2018. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... econd-crop

So unfortunate that he was sold before his first crop hit the races. Supposedly his first foals to hit the sales a couple of years ago were not very well received. Seems like Sunday Silence redux at this point. I hope that TCI at least gets some quality mares over in Korea.
Izvestia

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:31 pm

I knew that would happen!!!
sweettalk

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm

why are we so quick to give up on stallions?
Northport

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 pm

sweettalk wrote:why are we so quick to give up on stallions?
Idk if it is "we" or more specifically WinStar, Spendthrift, and *sometimes* Coolmore. WinStar seems to be the worst, but just don't like their business model in general. Stay tuned for Fed Biz, Daredevil, and Overanalyze to be sold by the end of 2019.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 am

Were Tiz Wonderful and Colonel John also Winstar stallions? If so, between those two and Take Charge Indy, they definitely make my Stallion Shuffle S#itlist. :evil:
Treve

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Were Tiz Wonderful and Colonel John also Winstar stallions? If so, between those two and Take Charge Indy, they definitely make my Stallion Shuffle S#itlist. :evil:
Tiz Wonderful was B. Wayne Hughes and Stonestreet Stables
Colonel John was WinStar

I believe in the case of Take Charge Indy the situation was slightly different - whilst he was not super well received here, the KRA approached WinStar rather than the other way around. And apparently made an offer that was "too good to pass up".

I do think the "we" wasn't far off considering, if breeders and buyers had been a little more patient, WinStar might not have felt pressured to "owe it to their shareholders" to take such an offer.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

sweettalk

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:41 am

i wasnt gonna try to nitpick and specifically list the farms that seem to be a barn of revolving doors. "we" was a lot shorter. ;)