2018 foals

Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 am

Liz Maddux is with Rafael Zambrano and 2 others at Summer Wind Farm.
22 mins · Georgetown ·
Look who finally made his grand entrance tonight! American Pharoah has a half brother!

Littleprincessemma had a gorgeous Tapit colt and both she and her little prince are doing great!

Big congrats to Jane Lyon and many thanks to farm manager, Bobby Spalding, as well as team Summer Wind for always taking such great care of all our horses.

More pics to follow!
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Equestricon @EQconvention
6h6 hours ago
ANNOUNCEMENT!!! Courtesy of Jane Lyon & Summer Wind Farm, we are honored to present American Pharoah’s NEW 1/2 brother, who was born 2/27, the same day as his sire Tapit! Baby and Littleprincessemma are doing great! Video clip to follow!!

Video: https://twitter.com/EQconvention/status ... 3984685056

Equestricon @EQconvention
5h5 hours ago
We can’t get enough of Pharoah’s new 1/2 brother! “Hay, mom!”
CoronadosQuest

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 pm

https://twitter.com/StonestreetFarm/sta ... 2529421313

Cute video of Rachel's Valentina's Curlin colt
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 pm

More details about Maizelle's adoption of the Animal Kingdom colt. Thanks for sharing the story, Carrie and Craig...

Colt rejected by mother finds perfect match in dam who lost foal
The highs and lows of the foaling season were encapsulated in a remarkable few days at Kentucky's Machmer Hall this week after an Animal Kingdom colt rejected by his own dam found a new mum in a mare who had suffered her own loss.

Machmer Hall, famed for breeding six-time Grade 1 heroine Tepin and run by husband and wife team Carrie and Craig Brogden, welcomed the son of the Kentucky Derby scorer out of A Taste Of Red on Sunday.

While things initially seemed positive, the mare began to exhibit some worrying signs and after she was found to have been kicking out at the colt when left alone in her stall, the Brogdens knew they had to take action.

"It was really bad and I've never seen a mare get like that very often," said Carrie Brogden. "A lot of the time you can work with young mares and after two or three days they come around to the foal but Craig went to hold him in the stall and she just got worse.

"He called me and said we've got to do something before this foal gets killed."

Heartbroken

Faced with such circumstances, stud farms often have to look to other operations to find a suitable nurse mare but this time around, Craig already had the perfect mare in mind for the job.

Maizelle, a 15-year-old daughter of Seeking The Gold, had only a few days earlier lost a filly foal by Breeders' Cup Sprint hero Runhappy, an event that had left the Brogdens dumbfounded and heartbroken.

"It was a completely normal birth and we still don't really know what happened with the filly," Carrie explained. "She was struggling to breathe, we had oxygen and medication but in 17 years of foaling, it's something that I've never come across.

"Dealing with live animals, you can have the greatest high on Monday and the greatest low on Tuesday. Like most people, when Maizelle's foal died we left it in her stall with her for a fair bit."

In most cases a mare will smell the foal before realising it has passed away and accept the death but such was Maizelle's urge to continue to be a mother, Brogden called a local clinic in Kentucky to offer her as a nurse mare to other farms.

"She kept looking for a baby and that's why Craig prompted me to call the clinic," Carrie said. "With everything going on with A Taste Of Red, Craig said 'I think I'm going to get Maizelle'."
Maizelle with the Animal Kingdom colt enjoying the sunshine at Machmer Hall in Kentucky
More: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/c ... oal/321215
Summer Bird

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Tapit-Sacred Feather colt. Sacred Feather is the dam of French Group 2 winner Taareef.

Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 pm

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
13m13 minutes ago
TANASI just foaled a nice big colt by Quality Road. Her half sister produced two G1 winners the very fast mare Paula’ssilverlining & Dads Caps. Tanasi will visit the @BreedersCup classic winner BAYERN this spring @HillnDaleFarm #SF
short_lead

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Love those sweet momma kisses for Littleprincessemma! Melts your heart.
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
bare it all

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Along with all the loving discussion of a new foal - and especially a first crop sire - I'd love to see someone just be straight honest about some of them. None of this "Lots of bone" and "Very correct, sending more mares to him next year" stuff... some "foal was as crooked as I've ever seen" or "we definitely won't be breeding to him again - 3 foals and all terrible looking"... :twisted:

I suppose no one wants to put their neck out there in the negative and look like a fool when that crooked little thing turns into a graded winner or the sire produces ugly runners. :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:04 pm

^^^ Ain't ever gonna happen, lol.

Ramsey Farm @Ramsey_Farm
39m39 minutes ago
We had 4 foals overnight, including this SHACKLEFORD colt out of FLYING KITTEN who is a real stunner. @darbydanfarm
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 pm

bare it all wrote:Along with all the loving discussion of a new foal - and especially a first crop sire - I'd love to see someone just be straight honest about some of them. None of this "Lots of bone" and "Very correct, sending more mares to him next year" stuff... some "foal was as crooked as I've ever seen" or "we definitely won't be breeding to him again - 3 foals and all terrible looking"... :twisted:

I suppose no one wants to put their neck out there in the negative and look like a fool when that crooked little thing turns into a graded winner or the sire produces ugly runners. :lol:
How about you? Are you willing to go negative? What would be the point? This world is filled with negativity from all over the place. So what if a foal is not some human's idea of perfection. The foals are new life, innocent babies, beautiful for that reason alone.

Sure, we are all adults here. We know that only a tiny minority of foals born each year go on to some degree of success on the track. We know that some percentage will wind up in bad situations. But for just a little while it's a joy to see them as foals, to dream of possibilities and suspend all negativity.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:40 pm

Isn't it also possible that a breeder doesn't want to make a public (or even a private) judgement about how "crooked" a foal is, since so much changes on these newborns as they grow? Today's wonky legs may grow straight as an arrow in a month or two. :P :D
Miss Woodford

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:^^^ Ain't ever gonna happen, lol.

Ramsey Farm @Ramsey_Farm
39m39 minutes ago
We had 4 foals overnight, including this SHACKLEFORD colt out of FLYING KITTEN who is a real stunner. @darbydanfarm
Yet another blingy Shackleford foal :D
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Between Shackleford and Kitten's Joy, no surprise the colt is a chestnut with a big blaze. ;)
tachyon

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 pm

colt(JPN) - Maurice(JPN) x Buena Vista(JPN) (2/19)
at Northern Farm
from Norhtern Park Facebook
tachyon

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 pm

filly(JPN) - Duramente(JPN) x Hilda's Passion(USA) -- 1/2 to Yoshida(JPN) (1/28)
at Northern Farm
from Northern Horse Park Facebook
"Northern Farm News Letter"
Hilda's Passion, the mother of american group race winner Yoshida, foaled a charming filly by Duramente. On her first day outside we had freezing weather with almost -20℃, so the mother put the straw on her baby.
lurkey mclurker

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 pm

:::high pitched squeeing noises:::

Also today is the one-month birthday for Stopchargingmaria '18, from the foal patrol live cam. They posted a little vid clip of her spunking it up in the paddock with her mama. <3

https://twitter.com/nmrhof/status/969654689594736641
Summer Bird

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Plum Pretty and her Curlin filly

Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:49 pm

RP Bloodstock @rpbloodstock
1h1 hour ago
Special delivery! two-time Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner Treve has had her second foal, a filly by champion two-year-old Shalaa >>> https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... lly/322017
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Pin Oak Stud
25 mins ·
This past week we were thrilled to welcome this son of Runhappy into the world!

His dam, Always in My Heart, was a homebred for Pin Oak (as were her dam and granddam) and hit the board 13 times, including several stakes/graded stakes placings, in her 18-race career. She was always a thrill to watch on the track, especially when she won the Sam Houston Distaff in her final start, and is from the same family as our boy, Broken Vow.

Isn’t this the best time of year!!?
Miss Woodford

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:RP Bloodstock @rpbloodstock
1h1 hour ago
Special delivery! two-time Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner Treve has had her second foal, a filly by champion two-year-old Shalaa >>> https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... lly/322017
That photo is absolutely precious.