Photos/News about Broodmares

lurkey mclurker

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 am

Treve wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Seems a bit rude to photograph a lady on her "walk of shame", no? ;)
Depends on whether you want to call it a "walk of shame" or a "got laid parade" :D
...I felt like such a voyeur viewing those pics. :lol:
Flanders

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:54 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:I wonder if Navajo Pass is still alive (she'd be 29)
She has a death report from 2008.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:18 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:@Sparrow Castle - 30yo Secretariat mare Ball Chairman - Although Secretariat died too soon, quite a few of his kids and grandkids made it to advanced age. Kind of gives me a sense of comfort to know that, so thanks very much for posting her photo.
Oh yes, Terlingua, who may be his most famous daughter, also lived a long life...to age 32. Barbara just posted a picture of her as a yearling that I don't remember seeing before. (She and Curtis' Border Run are full siblings. I wonder if Navajo Pass is still alive (she'd be 29); maybe Patricia McQueen will do a story on her.

Barbara Livingston @DRFLivingston
3h3 hours ago
Here's a super-cool historic pic by John C. Wyatt. TERLINGUA (Secretariat-Crimson Saint) as a @keenelandsales yearling, 1977. She sold for $275K. Her dam was a brilliant GSW and great producer, and Terlingua was a brilliant MGSW, best known as the dam of (drum roll) Storm Cat.
Oh for the chance to go through Barbara Livingston's collection. What gems are there waiting to be rediscovered...or maybe discovered for the first time publicly.
Summer Bird

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:44 am

Is anyone going to comment on how young that handler in the photo looks? :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:02 pm

I hadn't noticed the handler until you mentioned it. I couldn't stop looking at Terlingua's QH-sized hindquarters. On a yearling. :shock:
She was a beautiful filly, and no surprise that she became a tremendous sprinter.
Northport

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 pm

As soon as I saw the photo, I assumed she must have been a pretty docile filly, if a kid was allowed to parade her. :lol:
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Flanders wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:I wonder if Navajo Pass is still alive (she'd be 29)
She has a death report from 2008.
Thanks, Flanders. I didn't have time yesterday to look it up.
Summer Bird

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Northport wrote:As soon as I saw the photo, I assumed she must have been a pretty docile filly, if a kid was allowed to parade her. :lol:
She must have been!!! I had to look close to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me on the handler :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:16 pm

The young man holding Terlingua's shank has been identified as Olin Gentry. I just love old photos like this!
Northport

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Looks like he was working for his father's consignment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 477b640dfa

And he's still in the game
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-to-watch

Off topic, but talk about a family legacy of selling nice horses.
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:42 am

Hishi Amazon(USA) (Theatrical) - 3 time JRA champion filly
at Polo Green Stable, Versailles, KY (August 2017)
@HimawariKaz
lurkey mclurker

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Looking pretty spry for 26! :mrgreen:
carole

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Juddmonte Farms @JuddmonteFarms 8h

The legendary Hasili and her three Gr.1 winning daughters, Banks Hill, Heat Haze and Intercontinental #MothersDay
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:37 pm

Songbird confirmed in foal to Arrogate
Two-time Eclipse Award champion Songbird has been confirmed in foal to fellow champion and first-year stallion Arrogate. It would be the first foal for the Medaglia d'Oro mare.

The news was reported by Timber Town Farm, which boards Songbird in Lexington, Ky., for owner Mandy Pope, who purchased the mare for $9.5 million at last November's Fasig-Tipton Kentucky fall selected mixed sale. The price was the second-highest ever at a North American public auction for a broodmare prospect.
http://www.drf.com/news/songbird-confir ... l-arrogate
Ioya Two

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 am

And unfortunately, Hasili is now gone. What a producer.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Ioya Two wrote:And unfortunately, Hasili is now gone. What a producer.
And we just saw that lovely photo of Hasili with her daughters, Banks Hill, Heat Haze and Intercontinental. My condolences to Juddmonte Farms and all her fans on this sad day.

Juddmonte announces death of magnificent broodmare Hasili
The 27-year-old was the dam of five Group 1 winners and top sire Dansili
Hasili (left) with her sister Arrive, dam of Group 1 winner Promising Lead, at Banstead Manor Stud
Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte breeding operation is mourning the death of its outstanding broodmare Hasili at the age of 27.

The daughter of Kahyasi, one of the most celebrated producers of the modern era, leaves an indelible mark on the breed as the dam of five individual Group or Grade 1 winners, a record she shares with New Zealand blue hen Eight Carat.

Hasili came agonisingly close to edging past Eight Carat's mark as her first foal, Dansili, was placed in five elite events including when finishing fast to be beaten just a neck into third behind War Chant in the Breeders' Cup Mile.

Dansili has more than made up for missing out on those laurels as a stallion at Juddmonte's Banstead Manor Stud, by supplying 20 Group or Grade 1 winners including the exceptional talents Flintshire, Harbinger, Rail Link and The Fugue.

Dansili's influence has deepened with sons Bated Breath and Zoffany having proved popular with breeders, and daughters having produced the likes of Astaire, Chicquita, Cliffs Of Moher, Expert Eye, Ice Breeze, Nezwaah and Time Test.

In a remarkable run, Hasili's five offspring after Dansili all struck at the highest level. Banks Hill in the Coronation Stakes, Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf and Prix Jacques le Marois; Heat Haze in the BeverlyD and Matriarch Stakes; Intercontinental in the Matriarch and Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf; Cacique in the Manhattan Handicap and Man o' War Stakes; and Champs Elysees in the Northern Dancer Turf Stakes, Hollywood Turf Cup and Canadian International.
More: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... ili/324567
Treve

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Rest in peace, you grand, elegant dame.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Au revoir, Born Gold: the grande dame of the Wertheimer mare band
Outstanding dam of Goldikova and Galikova passes away aged 27
A week after the death of Juddmonte blue hen Hasili, European breeding has lost another grande dame with Pierre-Yves Bureau, the manager of the Wertheimer brothers' racing and breeding interests, announcing that Born Gold has passed away.

Born Gold, who was 27, produced the Wertheimers' history-making racemare Goldikova, Prix Vermeille heroine Galikova, the five-times Group/Grade 1-placed Anodin, three other stakes winners and a further two black-type place-getters.

The daughter of Blushing Groom achieved greatness and was certainly bred for it, as she hailed from a fruitful line of an outstanding Wertheimer family.
More: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/a ... and/325214
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:56 pm

I imagine Hasili and Born Gold are standing together in the perfect grass of the Elysian Fields, looking at photos of their children and grandchildren and comparing their accomplishments. <3
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Denali Stud@d DenaliStud 9 hr
Happy birthday to our retired Champion SERENA'S SONG, 26 years young today at Denali Stud! Sassy as ever and at this time of year - muddy!