Stallion News

Sparrow Castle

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Almasty Added to Pin Oak Lane Farm Roster
Pin Oak Lane Farm, near New Freedom, Pa., announced Jan. 30 the addition of Almasty to its roster for 2018. The only son of Scat Daddy to stand in the Mid-Atlantic region will stand for an introductory fee of $2,500 live foal, with discounts available if breeding two ($2,000) or three or more ($1,500) mares.

John Wentworth owns and raced the 6-year-old grade 3 winner since April of his sophomore racing season. The stallion's third dam is Flight Dancer, who is also in the family of Horses of the Year Gun Runner and Saint Liam.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... arm-roster
bare it all

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:16 pm

The Pamplemousse is being turned into an eventer!! Apparently, his progeny are quite good in that world and they're wanting to make him a sporthorse stallion but want to get him a resume. Well done.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... mplemousse
Treve

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Birthday boy American Pharoah enjoying a brisk, clear day at Ashford.
#HomeOfChampions #CoolmoreSires
My birthday is next week... wish I had accomplished half as much as this horse by age 6 :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Overdriven Starts New Career as a Gelding
Owner/breeder Mike Repole's grade 2 winner Overdriven has endured some tough knocks in the Thoroughbred racing game, both as a racehorse and as a stallion. Injury derailed his racing career after three promising starts, and after five seasons at stud, his number of mares bred fell below the level a commercially viable stallion requires.

What Repole chose next for Overdriven's future was bold and unconventional, with the likelihood of success equaling the potential for failure. He had the stallion gelded and sent him to New Vocations' farm in Kentucky to be retrained as a show horse.

So far, Overdriven is beating the odds in a big way.

"It is very unusual, and we typically don't recommend it because it normally doesn't work out," said Anna Ford, New Vocations' Thoroughbred program director. "We get plenty of horses who were just gelded, but they weren't breeding. Once they know what they can do, it is hard to reprogram them."

Ford remembered having a long conversation about Overdriven with David O'Farrell of Ocala Stud near Ocala, Fla., where the 9-year-old son of Tale of the Cat had been standing since 2013. O'Farrell also knew what was being proposed was no sure thing.

"Overdriven is a useful horse and a nice horse, but the economics were not going to add up," O'Farrell said about the horse's future as a stallion. "Mike didn't want to see the horse sold for a ham sandwich and wind up in Timbuktu. This was a different approach and unconventional, but it was a good one."

Repole said his decision to geld Overdriven centered on finding a good home for the duration of the horse's life.

"Maybe other people would have sold him, and he would have had a couple of more years (as a stallion)," Repole said. "But what happens when he's 11 or 14 or 16. I didn't want him out of my control and (ending) up in a country where I would never know what happened to him. He was good to me as a racehorse, and I gave him every opportunity. Now I want to be sure he's cared for."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -a-gelding
Flanders

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Overdriven Starts New Career as a Gelding
Owner/breeder Mike Repole's grade 2 winner Overdriven has endured some tough knocks in the Thoroughbred racing game, both as a racehorse and as a stallion. Injury derailed his racing career after three promising starts, and after five seasons at stud, his number of mares bred fell below the level a commercially viable stallion requires.

What Repole chose next for Overdriven's future was bold and unconventional, with the likelihood of success equaling the potential for failure. He had the stallion gelded and sent him to New Vocations' farm in Kentucky to be retrained as a show horse.

So far, Overdriven is beating the odds in a big way.

"It is very unusual, and we typically don't recommend it because it normally doesn't work out," said Anna Ford, New Vocations' Thoroughbred program director. "We get plenty of horses who were just gelded, but they weren't breeding. Once they know what they can do, it is hard to reprogram them."

Ford remembered having a long conversation about Overdriven with David O'Farrell of Ocala Stud near Ocala, Fla., where the 9-year-old son of Tale of the Cat had been standing since 2013. O'Farrell also knew what was being proposed was no sure thing.

"Overdriven is a useful horse and a nice horse, but the economics were not going to add up," O'Farrell said about the horse's future as a stallion. "Mike didn't want to see the horse sold for a ham sandwich and wind up in Timbuktu. This was a different approach and unconventional, but it was a good one."

Repole said his decision to geld Overdriven centered on finding a good home for the duration of the horse's life.

"Maybe other people would have sold him, and he would have had a couple of more years (as a stallion)," Repole said. "But what happens when he's 11 or 14 or 16. I didn't want him out of my control and (ending) up in a country where I would never know what happened to him. He was good to me as a racehorse, and I gave him every opportunity. Now I want to be sure he's cared for."
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -a-gelding
Interesting. Live Oak did that with one of their stallions a few years ago, although they kept him and just let him be in a paddock with other geldings. Claiborne pensioned Parading because of lack of success after a few crops. I'm glad that owners realize some of the stallions do not need to sire anymore foals.
bare it all

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Repole seems like a good owner and person. He genuinely has an interest in his horses before, during and after their time on the track.
Northport

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 pm

I agree that he really seems to care about his horses. Glad that horses like Overdriven and Notacatbutallama are given good homes and 2nd careers.
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Ready's Image will stand in Indiana
Grade 2 winner Ready’s Image will relocate to Midwest Equine and Veterinary Hospital in Trafalgar, Ind., for the 2018 breeding season, where he will stand for an advertised fee of $2,000.

The 13-year-old son of More Than Ready previously stood at Calumet Farm in Lexington, Ky., for an advertised fee of $5,000.

Ready’s Image has sired seven crops of racing age, with 217 winners and combined progeny earnings of more than $13.1 million. His top runners include Grade 3 winner I’m Already Sexy, Australian Group 3 winner Shazee Lee, Grade 2-placed Big Sugar Soda, Australian Group 3-placed Flash Fibian, and 14-time stakes winner Rivers Run Deep, who is the highest-earning Ohio-bred filly of all-time at $1,077,565.
http://www.drf.com/news/readys-image-will-stand-indiana
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Here's a nice video on Keen Ice from the Paulick Report, Calumet Farm and Kentucky Equine Research: https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... -new-2018/

Paulick Report is going to have a series on new stallions for 2018.

Keen Ice
tachyon

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 am

-- New stallions at Shadai Stallion Station

Photos & Videos from umaichi.com

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/umaichi_news/e/50 ... 654584acfa
tachyon

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am

-- New stallions at Shadai Stallion Station

photos from @furuyatti

Kitasan Black(JPN) (Black Tide)

Drefong(USA) (Gio Ponti)

Isla Bonita(JPN) (Fuji Kiseki)

Logotype(JPN) (Lohengrin)

Satono Aladdin(JPN) (Deep Impact)
bare it all

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:02 pm

I really like the look of Kitasan Black and Logotype. Drefong doesn't scream "speed" as you'd think he would based on his race record.

Satano Aladdin looks like the head/neck of one horse was tied into the body of another.
Ziggypop

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Thank you for the pics Tachyon!
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Love the look of Kitasan Black and Logotype. Most of those stallions are very handsome, but Drefong is surprisingly attractive. He's just a nicely-balanced package, and I think that he looks less like a typical sprint type and more like his sire.
IMHO, his surprise purchase may turn out to be quite a coup for the Japanese.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
serenassong

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Agree with the above posts- Defong is a long body type than a typical sprinter- tend to be more compact and have a larger booty :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
mariasmon

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Drefong reminds me a lot of his sire. Neither are as husky as Tale of the Cat.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 pm

Defrong has a lovely shoulder.
Starine

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:41 pm

They're all attractive, but there's something especially appealing about Logotype.
Miss Woodford

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Logotype looks like an Arabian, specifically in the neck/shoulder and hind end. His tail is set very high for a TB.
lurkey mclurker

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 am

Some more photos of Logotype from the stallion parade at Shadai.