Stallion News

Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Wildcat Red retired to Buck Pond Farm
Grade 2 winner Wildcat Red will enter stud at Buck Pond Farm in Versailles, Ky., for the 2018 breeding season at an advertised fee of $7,500.

The 6-year-old D’wildcat horse retired with six wins in 22 career starts for earnings of $1,108,975.

Wildcat Red is best known for his 3-year-old campaign, in which he won the Grade 2 Fountain of Youth Stakes, Grade 3 Hutcheson Stakes, and non-graded Quality Road Stakes. He also ran second in the Grade 1 Florida Derby, and finished third in the Grade 1 Haskell Invitational Stakes and Grade 3 Oklahoma Derby. He also competed in the 2014 Kentucky Derby.
http://www.drf.com/news/wildcat-red-ret ... -pond-farm
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am

Tis the season...for shuttling stallions to return home. California Chrome arrived in Miami yesterday where he will spend 7 days in quarantine before returning to Taylor Made.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 pm

One stallion who tried to return home, Mr. Speaker, got bounced back to Chile after testing positive for piroplasmosis. :(
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... s-positive
He is now back in Miami after being treated in Chile, but if I were Lane's End, I might hesitate to shuttle the nice Pulpit horse down there again. :?
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't think we missed many, if any, of these but I'm going to copy/paste the whole article so their names come up in a Search. (I may have missed bolding some of the names.)

New stallions find homes in Maryland and other regional markets
Kentucky traditionally sees the most stallions enter its ranks each breeding season, but the migration of prospects from the racetrack to regional farms can fluctuate depending on the health of each state’s program.

Breeders and buyers at auction have taken notice of the Maryland-bred program’s growth in recent years, helped by The Stronach Group’s investment in Laurel Park and a lucrative incentive program for owners and breeders of Maryland-breds who race in the state. With the death of stalwart Not For Love, Maryland will have plenty of new contenders for the position of new cornerstone sire.

Maryland’s stallion roster will see at least seven new members during the upcoming breeding season, led by multiple Grade 1 winner Dortmund, who will debut at Bonita Farm in Darlington for an advertised fee of $7,500. The 5-year-old son of Big Brown won 8 of 16 starts for earnings of $1,987,505, highlighted by wins in the Grade 1 Los Alamitos Futurity and Santa Anita Derby and a third in the 2015 Kentucky Derby.

“We’ve got a lot going on in Maryland right now,” said J. William Boniface of Bonita Farm. “The breeder and owner bonuses are escalating, and the purse structure is escalating. We’re excited to have a stallion of his caliber start in Maryland. Maryland’s ready for him.”

Dortmund is one of three stallions slated to debut at Bonita Farm in 2018, joining Alliance and Kobe’s Back. Alliance, an unraced 3-year-old Harlan’s Holiday colt and half-brother to champion Tepin and Grade 2 winner Vyjack, will stand for $4,000. Kobe’s Back, a multiple Grade 2-winning son of Flatter, will be advertised at $3,000.

Elsewhere in the state, Grade 2 winner Madefromlucky, a son of Lookin At Lucky, will stand at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City for $5,000. Holy Boss, a Grade 2-winning son of Street Boss, will debut at Anchor & Hope Farm in Port Deposit.

Divining Rod, a Grade 3-winning, classic-placed Tapit horse, will stand at Country Life Farm in Bel Air for $5,000. He will stand for the partnership of Roy and Gretchen Jackson, who raced him, as well as Country Life Farm and Kentucky-based Gainesway.

Blofeld, a Grade 2 winner by Quality Road, will stand at Murmur Farm in Darlington for $4,000, while Editorial, a winning half-brother to champion Uncle Mo by War Front, will reside at Roland Farm in Chesapeake City for $3,500.

Florida

A pair of Grade 1-winning stallions will stand their first season at Ocala Stud in Ocala for $5,000 – Noble Bird, a son of Birdstone, and Greenpointcrusader, a son of Bernardini.

Mylute, a classic-placed runner by Midnight Lute, will stand at GoldMark Farm in Ocala, while Gentlemen’s Bet, a Grade 1-placed stakes winner by Half Ours, debuts at Journeyman Stud for $3,000. Grade 3 winner Ocean Knight, by Curlin, will stand at Get Away Farm in Lowell for $4,000.

California

The biggest splash in California’s new stallion ranks came from Shaman Ghost, a Grade 1 winner who also took the 2015 Queen’s Plate. The son of Ghostzapper will spearhead a campaign by owner Frank Stronach to expand his interests in the state, where he owns Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields. A farm was still to be determined for Shaman Ghost, but he was announced at a fee of $10,000.

Multiple Grade 2 winner Danzing Candy will take the first stride toward proving Twirling Candy as a sire of sires when he debuts at Rancho San Miguel in San Miguel for $5,000.

Tommy Town Thoroughbreds in Santa Ynez will have three new stallions on its 2018 roster – Stanford, a Grade 2-winning son of Malibu Moon who will stand for $5,000; War Envoy, a Group 2-placed War Front horse advertised at $5,000; and Saburo, a half-brother to Canadian champion Miss Mischief by Medaglia d’Oro who will stand for $3,000.

Straight Fire, a multiple Grade 1-placed Dominus colt, will stand at Legacy Ranch in Clements, while Grade 2 winner Texas Ryano, by Curlin, will enter stud at Ballena Vista Farm in Ramona. Both will stand for $3,500.

New York

The partnership of Stonestreet Stables and Sequel Stallions in Hudson, N.Y., will stand Union Jackson during the upcoming season for $5,000. The Curlin horse is a Grade 3-placed multiple stakes winner.

Market Rally, an Unbridled’s Song colt who won the Group 3 UAE 2000 Guineas, will take up residence at Irish Hill Century Farm in Stillwater for an advertised fee of $3,000.

Canada

Colebrook Farms Stallion Station in Uxbridge, Ontario, will debut a pair of stallions for the upcoming season. Passion for Action, a Grade 2-winning Speightstown horse, will stand for $3,000 Canadian for the upcoming season, while Perfect Timber, a Grade 1-placed Perfect Soul horse, will be advertised at $2,500.

Arpista, a winning son of Quality Road, will stand at Horsepower Farm in Shelburne, Ontario, for $3,500.

Standing elsewhere

After a Grade 3-winning career, the Tapit horse Iron Fist retired to Whispering Oaks Farm in Carencro, La., where he is advertised at $6,500.

West Virginia’s stallion ranks will add Aldrin, a winning half-brother to leading sire Tapit by Malibu Moon, who stands at O’Sullivan Farms in Charles Town, W.Va., for $4,000.

In the Midwest, General a Rod, a Grade 1-placed Roman Ruler horse, retired to Hidden Springs Farm in Palmyra, Ind., where he will stand for $3,500, while Grade 2 winner Airoforce, by Colonel John, will stand at Swifty Farms in Seymour, Ind., for $2,500. Kiss the Ghost, an unraced Ghostzapper colt, debuts at Poplar Creek Horse Center in Bethel, Ohio, for $1,500.

The Southwest’s new stallions include Proceed, a stakes-winning Desert God horse who will stand at A & A Ranch in Anthony, N.M., for $3,500. The Candy Ride son Eagle, a Grade 3 winner, will enter stud at Valor Farm in Pilot Point, Texas, for $5,000. Madd Exchange, a winning Exchange Rate horse, will stand at Whitley Ranch and Racing in Texas for $1,000.

Pontiff, a winning half-brother to Pulpit by Giant’s Causeway, stands at El Dorado Farms in Enumclaw, Wash., for $2,500.

International

Japan’s stallion roster will include a trio of names familiar to followers of U.S. racing. Chief among them is Drefong, the 2016 Eclipse Award winner as champion sprinter, who will stand at Shadai Stallion Station. The son of Gio Ponti’s career highlight came when he won the 2016 Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Santa Anita to clinch his award.

Grade 1 winner American Patriot, a son of War Front, was purchased by Sheikh Mohammed al-Maktoum’s Darley operation and will enter stud at its Japanese base. The enigmatic Lani will debut at Arrow Stud after an ontrack career in which the Tapit colt was a Group 3 winner in the United Arab Emirates and classic-placed in the United States.

In Ireland, Coolmore Stud will start two sons of their cornerstone sire Galileo – Churchill, winner of both the Irish and English 2000 Guineas, and 2016 Breeders’ Cup Turf winner Highland Reel. Coolmore’s Irish base also will debut Caravaggio, a multiple Group 1-winning Scat Daddy horse.

Elsewhere in Ireland, El Kabeir, a Grade 2 winner also by Scat Daddy, will stand at Yeomanstown Stud.
http://www.drf.com/news/new-stallions-f ... al-markets
Last edited by Sparrow Castle on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 pm

For Lord Nelson, a long and trying road to stud
A stallion open house at Spendthrift Farm is often a laid-back affair. Expensive decisions are made by breeders as they inspect the horses and plan their matings, of course, but the business is broken up by laughs, handshakes, and catered sandwiches. The stakes are relatively low for the stallions themselves in the moment as they stand, walk, and go back to their stalls.

For Lord Nelson, just getting to that point was a triumph.

The trials of the 5-year-old Pulpit horse have been well documented over the past year, starting last fall when a cut on his leg developed into an infection that forced his withdrawal from the 2016 Breeders’ Cup Sprint and his retirement to Spendthrift Farm.

Set at a 2017 fee of $25,000 under a standard “stands and nurses” contract and for $30,000 as part of the Share the Upside program, Lord Nelson was poised for a well-supported debut season at stud. However, the onset of laminitis in both his front feet forced Spendthrift to cancel his book in January.

He spent a redshirt season under careful monitoring by Spendthrift staff, which worked closely with top Kentucky clinics Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital and Hagyard Equine Medical Institute. Slowly, the team rebuilt Lord Nelson’s hooves and treated his infection with antibiotics.

“I think this is a horse who is always likely to be at a little bit greater risk for issues than another horse, but so far so good,” said Ned Toffey, Spendthrift’s general manager. “After a lot of gradual, small, incremental increases in exercise, we’ve got him to the point where he’s going out into a small paddock for several hours a day, and he’s handling that really well.”

His condition improved at such a satisfactory rate that Spendthrift announced in October that Lord Nelson would make his belated debut at stud for the 2018 breeding season.
http://www.drf.com/news/lord-nelson-lon ... -road-stud
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:13 pm

Joe Nevills‏ @DRFNevills
46m46 minutes ago
Rainbow Heir will stand at @OcalaStud upon his retirement. It appears I had the jump on this back in September.
http://www.drf.com/news/rainbow-heir-st ... retirement
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm

That's a very informative list of new stallions, SC. Thanks.
And you only missed bolding Highland Reel. :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's a very informative list of new stallions, SC. Thanks.
And you only missed bolding Highland Reel. :lol:
Oh my gosh, one of my favorites. I'll fix it, thanks.
Retrospectiv

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Re: the Regional Market post, they missed one for Canada.

San Vincente winner Iliad (by Ghostzapper) is entering stud in Alberta.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Northport

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Interesting news about Drefong, I hadn't seen any release about that until now. Shadai really is stepping into new territory with a dirt sprinter by Gio Ponti. Tbh, I don't really get it.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Gio Ponti was pretty good on turf, and maybe Shadai thinks that Drefong's offspring will tap into that. Japan has bought many horses, both stallions and mares, who have what one might think are dirt pedigrees. Their foals have done just fine on the green stuff. ;)
Maybe they also want to bring some of that speed into the mix for all their distance-lovin' mares?
Treve

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:51 am

Wasn't Yoshida explaining in that documentary "Global Impact" about Japanese tb that unlike a lot of turf racing in the rest of the world, Japanese turf tracks tend to be of a firmer going and so they favour horses that have good turn of foot? He was theorizing that that was why Sunday Silence blood had such an impact on the breed there because he brought spectacular turn of foot not previously seen in the types of stallion that were imported up to that point.
It would make sense then, that even though they breed for middle, classic and stayer distances, they always also want to keep adding or maintaining speed/acceleration/turn of foot. A characteristic of a lot of prominent american dirt runners ;)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 am

They sure loved/love Lord Kanaola and he was fast. One of the best sprinter/milers I've seen in recent years.
IMHO, I think Drefong will do well there.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:45 am

I sure hope Drefong does well in Japan. I think he'll be a good fit there for the reasons Treve wrote. I am really rooting for this son of Gio Ponti. Can't wait to see which mares they send to him.
tachyon

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 am

Northport wrote:Interesting news about Drefong, I hadn't seen any release about that until now. Shadai really is stepping into new territory with a dirt sprinter by Gio Ponti. Tbh, I don't really get it.
It was in 2003 when Shadai introduced Swept Overboard(USA) to Japan soon after the mighty stallion End Sweep(USA) had passed away.
Swept Overboard(USA) died last month after proving himself a very good stallion for either surface in Japan.
I suspect that Shadai recruited Drefong(USA) as a potential successor to Swept Overboard(USA).

There's no breeder who don't appreciate the speed.
And, in general, dirt runners can easily turn out to be good stallion for the turf, while turf runners rarely become good stallions for the dirt.
Sunday Silence was a dirt runner, of course. ;)
Sparrow Castle

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Csaba will move to R Star Stallions in Indiana
Csaba, a Grade 3 winner and young stallion, will relocate for the 2018 breeding season to R Star Stallions in Anderson, Ind., where he will stand for an advertised fee of $2,000 with considerations for stakes mares and stakes producers.

The 8-year-old son of Kitten’s Joy previously stood at Pleasant Acres Stallions in Morriston, Fla., for $2,500. His first foals are 2-year-olds of 2018.

Csaba won 13 of 36 starts over four seasons of racing for earnings of $682,440. He won two editions of the Grade 3 Fred W. Hooper Stakes and the listed Memorial Handicap, with single wins in the Grade 3 Hal’s Hope Stakes, and the non-graded Harlan’s Holiday Stakes, Skip Trial Stakes, Tripical Park Derby, and El Kaiser Stakes.

His four additional graded stakes placings include a runner-up effort in the Grade 2 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame Stakes and a third in the Grade 3 Palm Beach Handicap.
http://www.drf.com/news/csaba-will-move ... ns-indiana
mariasmon

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Oooh. Now I can go visit Csaba!
bare it all

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:53 pm

The lovely Kingmambo stallion Archipenko has died at 13. Fast-spreading lymphoma.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Taylor Made Farm added 36 new photos to the album: California Chrome arrives to Taylor Made — at Taylor Made Farm.
4 hrs ·
California Chrome, 2x Horse of the Year, arrived safely to Taylor Made Farm on December 15, 2017 at about 8:30am.
California Chrome has been breeding in the southern hemisphere in Chile at Haras Sumaya.
Welcome Home, Chrome! Enjoy the rest and relaxation!
https://www.facebook.com/taylormadeadva ... =3&theater
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:38 pm

There is an article on Bloodhorse.com about Chrome's return to TM: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread. Among the things mentioned in the article is this:

The dual classic winner and seven-time grade 1-winning son of Lucky Pulpit—Love the Chase, by Not For Love, was bred to 110 mares while standing at Oussama Aboughazale's Sumaya Stud near Santiago, Chile. His Southern Hemisphere mares included 12 graded/group winners, another 15 listed black-type winners, and 22 black-type producers.

Lady Pelusa (ARG) (by Orpen), the dam of unbeaten Robert Bruce (CHI)—last year's Chilean champion 2-year-old and this year's winner of the Chilean Triple Crown—was among the high-profile mares he was bred to. California Chrome's book also included Chiliean-bred grade/group 1 winners Noble Belleza (Happy Hunting) and Viene Canando (Gstaad).

-----------------------------------
Just wanted to say how sorry I am about Archipenko