Stallion News

Diver52

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Life At Zen wrote:I cringed. CalBread?

Aside from that, I'm really sad he's leaving KY.
Hey, we're not Chile!

(Although frankly their pastures may be lusher.)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
lurkey mclurker

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:18 pm

(I think Zen was referring to the misspelling of "cal-bred" as "cal-bread" :lol: )

...does Chile have sun right now? Because then I would happily have us be Chile. Boo overcast/drizzle/fog.
Ziggypop

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Diver52 wrote:

Hey, we're not Chile!

He always struck me he was kind of treated like
a red headed stepchild.
Slewfan2

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Me, too. I guess Ashford considered him a bust? As a huge Bernardini fan, and as someone who loved Stay Thirsty when he ran even though most didn't, I'm upset about this.........Ok, I admit most of his offsprings success came at minor tracks, but he had Coal Front and Princess Karen.......

On a side note, I would say that Algorithms has been a successful sire - perhaps surprisingly so; am I right?
Sparrow Castle

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Lots of spelling errors on Twitter. I typically ignore them.

Stay Thirsty's fee is $5,000. The West Coast is happy!

Stay Thirsty Sold to Lovacres Ranch
...Stay Thirsty, who will be the only son of Bernardini standing in California, will stand for $5,000. The stallion is expected to arrive in California either over the coming weekend or early next week....
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... cres-ranch
Life At Zen

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 am

Ziggypop wrote:
Diver52 wrote:

Hey, we're not Chile!

He always struck me he was kind of treated like
a red headed stepchild.
Yes, this :(

He was always overshadowed by Uncle Mo.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Sunline

Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 am

I posted this in the memoriam 2017 thread but also decided it belongs in this thread as well.

Pentire(GB) dies at the age of 25,He stood at Rich Hill Stud in New Zealand.

http://www.richhillstud.co.nz/news/2017 ... ic-pentire

Sunline (1995-2009)- Queen of the Turf/ Mare of the World.
Flanders

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 am

Slewfan2 wrote:

Me, too. I guess Ashford considered him a bust? As a huge Bernardini fan, and as someone who loved Stay Thirsty when he ran even though most didn't, I'm upset about this.........Ok, I admit most of his offsprings success came at minor tracks, but he had Coal Front and Princess Karen.......

On a side note, I would say that Algorithms has been a successful sire - perhaps surprisingly so; am I right?
I will start this by saying I really liked Stay Thirsty and wish he would have been more successful and maybe he can be in California. I'm going to be brutally honest though, I think Stay Thirsty, To Honor and Serve and Algorithms have been very disappointing. Algorithms looked really promising when he finished 2nd on the Freshman Sire list, unfortunately he hasn't really followed that up with much in 2017. Truly I'm shocked that To Honor And Serve wasn't the first of the 3 to leave Kentucky. He has only sired 1 Stakes Winner and none in 2017. Ultimately unless the other 2 get big horses I see them gone from Kentucky before the 2019 breeding season because in my opinion, Stay Thirsty was the best sire of the 3, because he had sired 2 GSWs.

Edit:
I wanted to add their 2017 report of mares bred to show that breeders feel the same way I would rank them.
Stay Thirsty - 65
Algorithms - 56
To Honor And Serve - 14
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Does Bernardini have any sons who are proving themselves as good sires?
If not, it would appear that Bernardini has disappointed, considering how high his stud fee was...and still is, IIRC. Looks like he may not establish his own A.P. Indy bloodline. :?
Tapit is still on top there.
Slewfan2

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:42 pm

I don’t know Algorithms numbers, but keep in mind that he was pretty much forgotten after his early retirement and probably wasn’t bred to that many mares. I still love him.

I wonder if Bernardini might be an excellent broodmare sire rather than a sire of sires. He’s off to a very promising start in that regard - and Indy is a terrific broodmare sire. Another good racing son, Wilburn, was a failure. Ugh, I hate to say this....but it’s so. I’ll hang my hat on his daughters.
Catalina

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Royal Mo Set for Stud Career in 2018
Grade 3 winner and grade 1-placed 3-year-old Royal Mo suffered a career-ending injury six days ahead of a scheduled run in the Preakness Stakes (G1) this year, but after surgery at New Bolton Center and several months to recuperate, the son of Uncle Mo is now in a position to pursue a stallion career.

The injury, which occured in his final Preakness workout at Pimlico Race Course May 14, was a severely comminuted fracture of his right front medial proximal sesamoid, which required a surgical fusion of the right front fetlock a day later.

Although Royal Mo's landing spot for his stud career has not been announced, bloodstock agent David Ingordo brokered a sale of the 3-year-old for those purposes. During his racing career Royal Mo was owned by Jerry and Ann Moss and trained by John Shirreffs. Royal Mo's new ownership also has not been announced.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... er-in-2018
Very glad to hear that he recovered and is moving on to a stud career.
sweettalk

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 am

aside from sunday silence, have any american stallions (or mares) gone to japan and been completely invaluable to their breeding program?
Treve

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

sweettalk wrote:aside from sunday silence, have any american stallions (or mares) gone to japan and been completely invaluable to their breeding program?
Northern Taste was Canadian-bred and he is what ultimately allowed the Yoshidas to purchase Sunday Silence (and all their other stallions). He was leading sire 11 times.
King Kamehameha while foaled in Japan is a son of Kingmambo that has been pretty influential. Unless you're really only looking for horses who were directly foaled in the US and brought there?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "completely invaluable"?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
sweettalk

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:15 pm

yeah, bred here, raced here, sent there.

we've had storm cat, ap indy, tapit, etc just in recent memory. have any of our stallions that they bought and imported been that important?
middleground

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Brian's Time and End Sweep were both effective sires in Japan; not sure if they rise to the level of invaluable, though.
tachyon

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Sunline wrote:I posted this in the memoriam 2017 thread but also decided it belongs in this thread as well.

Pentire(GB) dies at the age of 25,He stood at Rich Hill Stud in New Zealand.

http://www.richhillstud.co.nz/news/2017 ... ic-pentire

R.I.P Pentire. :(
He was an international star.

Pentire working at Tokyo Racecourse, Nov 1996, before the Japan Cup
Starine

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Iron Fist (Tapit) retires to Whispering Oaks Farm in Louisiana after winning his finale at Zia Park. He's a half-brother to Sweet Lulu and a full-brother to Anchor Down.
ThreeMustangs

Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:51 pm

El Padrino is gone due to colic. He was only 8. He first foals are 2yos this year.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ic-surgery
mariasmon

Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Since he's reached the age where he's more likely to be pensioned than sold overseas, IMHO Point Given is probably safe from that fate. I would hope that Calumet will always have a stall and paddock for the 2001 HOTY..
I think he may have a new stall and paddock at KHP.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb5S77hDyOP/
Diver52

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm

^^^^^^

Very cool! Well deserved.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.