Stallion News

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Point Given is going to be 20 this coming season, isn't he? I loved that horse when he was racing, and I am sorry the Big Red Train hasn't made his mark as a stallion.
IIRC, one of his best was Go Between, and that horse died after a workout shortly after he turned six. Never got a chance to stand at stud. :( Now, I have some hope that Coil will succeed here in California.
Della

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Point Given is going to be 20 this coming season, isn't he? I loved that horse when he was racing, and I am sorry the Big Red Train hasn't made his mark as a stallion.
IIRC, one of his best was Go Between, and that horse died after a workout shortly after he turned six. Never got a chance to stand at stud. :( Now, I have some hope that Coil will succeed here in California.
And he had some good race mares - Point Ashley, Sealy Hill, Points of Grace come to mind.

I love Point Given - he got me into racing. I hope there's a way to stay in touch with how he's doing.
Flanders

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:01 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
serenassong wrote:Found the India stud book on FB (link)- there are some familiar names
https://www.indiarace.com/AllStallions.aspx
Thanks for this. Rather dismayed not to find Corporate Jungle on the list, especially considering they continue to list deceased stallions. I had heard several years ago that CJ had recovered from the sesamoid injury suffered in his last race and had arrived in India for stud duty. Wish I knew what happened to him (he's one of those horses I irrationally got attached to just because I interacted with him in person).
http://www.hazarastud.com/hscode/stallion.aspx?id=102
He is listed as a stallion there. There aren't any stud details though.

Edit to add: I just read another article that he didn't go to stud until 2015. So his first foals are yearlings.
Flanders

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:06 am

nikita wrote:
serenassong wrote:Found the India stud book on FB (link)- there are some familiar names
Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, I just discovered that Dancing Forever has been deceased for quite a while. According to the website, he died June 2013, only 3 years after he was exported to India. :(
I always loved watching him run. Too bad he died way too young.
He died from colic. There was an article somewhere that I read at the time, because the farm lost two very promising stallions very close together. Rebuttal to laminitis and Dancing Forever to colic.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:00 am

Flanders wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:
Thanks for this. Rather dismayed not to find Corporate Jungle on the list, especially considering they continue to list deceased stallions. I had heard several years ago that CJ had recovered from the sesamoid injury suffered in his last race and had arrived in India for stud duty. Wish I knew what happened to him (he's one of those horses I irrationally got attached to just because I interacted with him in person).
http://www.hazarastud.com/hscode/stallion.aspx?id=102
He is listed as a stallion there. There aren't any stud details though.

Edit to add: I just read another article that he didn't go to stud until 2015. So his first foals are yearlings.
Thanks, Flanders. I didn't think to look at the farm's website. I appreciate knowing this guy is still among the living and hopefully thriving!
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Point Given is going to be 20 this coming season, isn't he? I loved that horse when he was racing, and I am sorry the Big Red Train hasn't made his mark as a stallion.
I know how you feel. I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm afraid to care about these horses. Especially so with stallions because of what might happen to them when they are done racing if they don't at least become a useful sire somewhere. I still haven't gotten over Ferdinand and Exceller, both of whom I saw race in Southern California.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Since he's reached the age where he's more likely to be pensioned than sold overseas, IMHO Point Given is probably safe from that fate. I would hope that Calumet will always have a stall and paddock for the 2001 HOTY..
Sparrow Castle

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Coolmore‏ @TomMagnier
A historical moment that captures the only two Triple Crown winners standing at stud. #AmericanPharoah #Pierro @CoolmoreAus
Treve

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Coolmore‏ @TomMagnier
A historical moment that captures the only two Triple Crown winners standing at stud. #AmericanPharoah #Pierro @CoolmoreAus
Love the picture thanks for sharing.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Miss Woodford

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:26 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Coolmore‏ @TomMagnier
Do Deep Impact and Orfevre not count?
lurkey mclurker

Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:36 am

Not to Western horseracing, apparently. :roll: Or maybe they should've clarified the tweet to say standing in Australia.
mariasmon

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 am

There's Hakassan, too.
Ridan_Remembered

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:00 am

Kind of a random question, but do farms want sort of mid-level and lower level stallions to serve that end of the market? I know all farms hope for an upper level stallion, but those are few compared to the mid to lower end ones. So are people with the money to afford the higher end stallions.

Do farms only accept thoroughbred mares for those types of stallions, or will they accept, say, sport horse mares? Just curious about that end of the breeding business.
mariasmon

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:55 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Kind of a random question, but do farms want sort of mid-level and lower level stallions to serve that end of the market? I know all farms hope for an upper level stallion, but those are few compared to the mid to lower end ones. So are people with the money to afford the higher end stallions.

Do farms only accept thoroughbred mares for those types of stallions, or will they accept, say, sport horse mares? Just curious about that end of the breeding business.
I think there's a reason why stallions like Northern Afleet, Langfuhr, Fusaichi Pegasus and the like stayed in KY all these years. They can get runners and, even though they're not commercial, people still want to breed to them. All 3 of those are old now and winding down, of course. I know some farms, like Ashford, have accepted QH mares to their stallions for years. Which ones and how many might vary.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Sam Davis Stakes winner Ocean Knight retired to Get Away Farm
Grade 3 winner Ocean Knight has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Get Away Farm in Lowell, Fla., for the 2018 breeding season.

A fee is still to be determined for the 5-year-old Curlin horse, who finished his ontrack career with four wins in 15 starts and earnings of $390,000. His biggest victory came in the Grade 3 Sam F. Davis Stakes, with in-the-money efforts in the Grade 2 Kelso Handicap and Grade 3 Discovery Handicap.

Ocean Knight raced for Stonestreet Stables, and he was trained by Kiaran McLaughlin.
http://www.drf.com/news/sam-davis-stake ... -away-farm
Ballerina

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Sparrow Castle

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Royal Mo Set for Stud Career in 2018
Grade 3 winner and grade 1-placed 3-year-old Royal Mo suffered a career-ending injury six days ahead of a scheduled run in the Preakness Stakes (G1) this year, but after surgery at New Bolton Center and several months to recuperate, the son of Uncle Mo is now in a position to pursue a stallion career.

The injury, which occured in his final Preakness workout at Pimlico Race Course May 14, was a severely comminuted fracture of his right front medial proximal sesamoid, which required a surgical fusion of the right front fetlock a day later.

Although Royal Mo's landing spot for his stud career has not been announced, bloodstock agent David Ingordo brokered a sale of the 3-year-old for those purposes. During his racing career Royal Mo was owned by Jerry and Ann Moss and trained by John Shirreffs. Royal Mo's new ownership also has not been announced.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... er-in-2018
Sparrow Castle

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Lovacres Ranch‏ @Lovacres_Ranch
Good afternoon Lovacres followers. Great news! It's official as of today that Stay Thirsty is coming to the ranch. Please let me know about 2018 breeding season. #PaysToBeACalBread
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 pm

That's a nice addition to California breeding. :D
Life At Zen

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 pm

I cringed. CalBread?

Aside from that, I'm really sad he's leaving KY.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch