Stallion News

mariasmon

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Bird Song will stand at Gainesway for $5,000.
mariasmon

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Wings of Eagles will stand at Haras de Montaigu (his birthplace) in partnership with Coolmore for €12,000.
tachyon

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Retrospectiv wrote:The Factor to Japan for 2018:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... n-for-2018
Interesting, one-year lease, sounds kind of unusual. They won't know much by then. He's quite the traveling boy.
That's wonderful news. :D
One-year-lease is unusual.
But he is going to be the first War Front son to stand at stud in Japan.
Personally I would love to see more War Front's who could do well on either surface here.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Madefromlucky retired to Northview Stallion Station
Madefromlucky, a Grade 2 winner, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Northview Stallion Station in Chesapeake City, Md., for the 2018 breeding season.

A fee will be announced for the 5-year-old son of Lookin At Lucky at a later time. Northview Stallion Station is currently in the process of syndicating the horse.

“Madefromlucky has a combination of racing ability and pedigree that we just could not pass up,” said Northview president Richard Golden.

Madefromlucky finished his on-track career with six wins in 24 starts for earnings of $1,351,500. He won the Grade 2 West Virginia Derby and Peter Pan Stakes, as well as the Grade 3 Greenwood Cup Stakes, with placings in three additional graded stakes. He was owned by Cheyenne Stable and Mac Nichol and trained by Todd Pletcher.

Bred in Kentucky by RMF Thoroughbreds, Madefromlucky is out of the unraced Pulpit mare Home From Oz, a full sister to perennial leading sire Tapit, who is the dam of four winners from five runners. He is a half-brother to Japanese stakes-placed A Shin Gold.

Champions Rubiano and Summer Bird are in the horse’s extended family, as well as successful sire Glitterman.

Madefromlucky has already arrived at Northview and is available for inspection.
http://www.drf.com/news/madefromlucky-r ... on-station
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Zarkava's son Zarak has been retired.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... ired-stud/

He may not have reached his dam's heights of success, but his pedigree should make him a desirable stallion.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:32 pm

As I posted over in Retirements;
Is that hoof so bad that they didn't think he could race at four, no matter how much time off he's given? Or was Coolmore contracted to stand him in 2018, and those plans weren't about to change?
I think Coolmore has stood enough two-year-old champs to field a baseball team of juvys. Let's see...Hansen, Lookin at Lucky, Uncle Mo, Shanghai Bobby, American Pharoah, Classic Empire, plus Air Force Blue and Vancouver. Did I forget someone?
They've built their American business on all precocious, all the time. :P :lol:
mariasmon

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Maclean's Music will stand for $25k in 2018. I know he got a Preakness winner, but it still seems like a lot for him.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... eans-music
Treve

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 pm

I mean if there's not enough time for the BCC, why not look at other end of year G1s? Why not look at the Pegasus World Cup especially since we know Arrogate is heading off after the BCC. And even from Coolmore's perspective, why? They already have a hot PotN son in the shed, why not wait it out another year and increase CE's value? What if SPD turns out to be uh... less talented than Amer Cleo? Very disappointed but not all that shocked.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
bare it all

Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Well, I mean Uncle Mo has been a nice stallion for them. So was Scat Daddy before he died. I think Bobby will be a nice one, too.

With the Coolmore connect aside, I think Classic Empire had also decided he wasn’t going to do this job anymore.
Flanders

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:30 am

Treve wrote:I mean if there's not enough time for the BCC, why not look at other end of year G1s? Why not look at the Pegasus World Cup especially since we know Arrogate is heading off after the BCC. And even from Coolmore's perspective, why? They already have a hot PotN son in the shed, why not wait it out another year and increase CE's value? What if SPD turns out to be uh... less talented than Amer Cleo? Very disappointed but not all that shocked.
No one should ever be disappointed, shocked or surprised, Coolmore never buys a horse's stud rights and lets them race at 4. They always go to stud at 4. Its just how it is, all the time. Looking at it from their perspective, its a business and the Empire Maker sire line is hot, on the racetrack and at the sales.

I just looked at their current stallion roster, any that raced at four were either Coolmore raced(Declaration of War, Magician, Munnings, and Verrazano) or horses they bought their stud rights to when the horse was racing at 4(Stay Thirsty and Tale of the Cat).
Sparrow Castle

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Effinex dies at age 7
Effinex, a Grade 1 winner and young New York stallion, died Wednesday in his stall of a pulmonary aneurysm at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. He was 7.

The son of Mineshaft had recently relocated to McMahon of Saratoga after standing his first season at Questroyal North in Stillwater, N.Y. this spring for an advertised fee of $10,000.

Effinex raced as a homebred for Dr. Russell Cohen of Tri-Bone Stables, and he was trained by Jimmy Jerkens.

"I got a call last night at 10 o'clock that he was dead," Cohen said. "The groom left the barn after feeding him at seven, the secretary’s office is right in the stallion barn and she left at 7:30, and one of the veterinarians from Rood and Riddle lives above the stallion barn. He heard a big noise, he went downstairs to find out what it was, and the horse was dead. Rood and Riddle did a postmortem on him and his lungs and trachea were full of blood. He had a pulmonary aneurysm."

Effinex won nine of 28 starts during his on-track career for earnings of $3,312,950.

The New York-bred's biggest wins came in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, two editions of the Grade 2 Suburban Handicap, the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap, the Grade 3 Excelsior Stakes, and the non-graded Empire Classic Handicap. He finished second to American Pharoah in the 2015 Breeders' Cup Classic at Keeneland, and was also in the money in two runnings of the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39212-effinex-dies-at-age-7
Horsebagger

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Effinex dies at age 7
Effinex, a Grade 1 winner and young New York stallion, died Wednesday in his stall of a pulmonary aneurysm at McMahon of Saratoga Thoroughbreds in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. He was 7.

The son of Mineshaft had recently relocated to McMahon of Saratoga after standing his first season at Questroyal North in Stillwater, N.Y. this spring for an advertised fee of $10,000.

Effinex raced as a homebred for Dr. Russell Cohen of Tri-Bone Stables, and he was trained by Jimmy Jerkens.

"I got a call last night at 10 o'clock that he was dead," Cohen said. "The groom left the barn after feeding him at seven, the secretary’s office is right in the stallion barn and she left at 7:30, and one of the veterinarians from Rood and Riddle lives above the stallion barn. He heard a big noise, he went downstairs to find out what it was, and the horse was dead. Rood and Riddle did a postmortem on him and his lungs and trachea were full of blood. He had a pulmonary aneurysm."

Effinex won nine of 28 starts during his on-track career for earnings of $3,312,950.

The New York-bred's biggest wins came in the Grade 1 Clark Handicap, two editions of the Grade 2 Suburban Handicap, the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap, the Grade 3 Excelsior Stakes, and the non-graded Empire Classic Handicap. He finished second to American Pharoah in the 2015 Breeders' Cup Classic at Keeneland, and was also in the money in two runnings of the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39212-effinex-dies-at-age-7
Sad news. But I am ultra curious how many mares he bred this year, because Cohen was constantly pitching him to any owner of a mare he ran into.
Izvestia

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 am

Effinex was a cool horse, and he was a nice addition to the NY breeding industry. Speed, stamina, soundness, and a good pedigree- he had every right to tout him.
What a shame. RIP big guy

I think he bred 103 mares.
Retrospectiv

Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Annnnnnd Dortmund retired. Again.

To Bonita in Maryland:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Sparrow Castle

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Lord Nelson will debut at stud for $20,000
Multiple Grade 1 winner Lord Nelson will debut at stud for Spendthrift Farm in 2018 after missing what would have been his first breeding season due to laminitis.

The son of Pulpit will debut for an advertised fee of $20,000, Spendthrift announced as it revealed next season’s stallion lineup and fees Sunday night.

He will be one of three new stallions on a roster anchored by classic sire Malibu Moon at an unchanged fee of $75,000 and last year's leading juvenile sire Into Mischief, who rises to $100,000. The latter, who stood for $75,000 in 2017, is already booked full.

Lord Nelson won three Grade 1 events in 2016 for Spendthrift, taking the Bing Crosby, Triple Bend, and Santa Anita Sprint Championship, enough to be named an Eclipse Awards finalist in both the male sprint and older dirt male divisions. However, he was scratched from the Breeders’ Cup Sprint, which was to be his final start, after a minor cut in his right foreleg became infected. The horse remained in California for several weeks, undergoing extensive treatment, before shipping to Spendthrift in Kentucky.

The farm staff was hopeful that he would be ready for the start of breeding season in February, but he developed laminitis as a secondary complication, and has been slowly, but steadily, recovering for the past several months.
http://www.drf.com/news/lord-nelson-wil ... stud-20000
bare it all

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 am

Retrospectiv wrote:Annnnnnd Dortmund retired. Again.

To Bonita in Maryland:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
LOL bless his heart. Can't wait to see the Dort-monsters tearing it up at Laurel.
serenassong

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 am

Izvestia wrote:Effinex was a cool horse, and he was a nice addition to the NY breeding industry. Speed, stamina, soundness, and a good pedigree- he had every right to tout him.
What a shame. RIP big guy

I think he bred 103 mares.
so maybe like between 85-95 depending on his fertility rate and full term births. Should be a hot commodity at the sales.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
mariasmon

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 am

I didn't really expect this, but El Kabeir will stand in Ireland at Yeomanstown Stud in 2018:

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... reland_123
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 pm

He's a Scat Daddy. Pretty sure every winning son of SD out there is going to get a chance at stud. :P
With the way his offspring run on the grass, standing in Ireland seems logical.