Siblings (and offspring) of well-known horses

Sparrow Castle

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:00 pm

mariasmon wrote:
mariasmon wrote:R Sunday Surprise (full to California Chrome) runs Friday in Race 8 at Del Mar (vs. Cal-breds again).
She won.
She hardly got a call towards the end there coming through on the rail, lol. Good for her!

Now let's see if this girl can get a trophy in her stakes debut:

Mo'ne Davis is entered on August 12, 2017 at LAUREL PARK.
Your comments for this horse were: Bernardini - La Ville Rouge, by Carson City
Twixt S. at seven furlongs. Purse: $ 75,000.
Point Given

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Fawree (3-Year-Old Colt)
(Candy Ride (ARG) - Keeper Hill)
Date: August 10, 2017
Track: LOS ALAMITOS
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.01:00 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 pm

The upcoming Race 3 at Geelong in Australia will feature the great Black Caviar's first foal, Oscietra, in her 2nd race. I think she's three, although keeping track of when the Southern Hemisphere horses change ages is...interesting? :oops: :P

She won. :D She may not look a lot like her mum (takes after her sire, maybe?), but runs a lot like her. Kicked in the stretch and just opened up on the field.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:06 am

I think Oscietra looks like a very feminine version of Exceed and Excel, even when running she looks more like dad than mom and she has his "pretty" head. Glad to get this win out of the way!
Sparrow Castle

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:I think Oscietra looks like a very feminine version of Exceed and Excel, even when running she looks more like dad than mom and she has his "pretty" head. Glad to get this win out of the way!
Oh and, yes, she turned 3 on Aug 1. Her actual 3 year old birthday will be September 12.

Here's a picture of her.
Sky Racing‏Verified account @SkyRacingAU
Oscietra, the first foal of champion Black Caviar, breaks her maiden with a speedy performance at Geelong!
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 am

Thanks for the photo. I thought her build was much leaner than Nelly's, but that shot shows powerful hindquarters...and that part looks a LOT like Mum. :D
I'm confused...why do Aussie horses turn on Aug. 1? With the Northern and Southern Hemispheres having opposite seasons in a year, there should be six months difference between NH and SH TBs. Jan. 1 through June 30 is the first half of the year; July 1 through Dec. 31 is the second half.
:? Shouldn't their 'birthday' be on July 1?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Thanks for the photo. I thought her build was much leaner than Nelly's, but that shot shows powerful hindquarters...and that part looks a LOT like Mum. :D
I'm confused...why do Aussie horses turn on Aug. 1? With the Northern and Southern Hemispheres having opposite seasons in a year, there should be six months difference between NH and SH TBs. Jan. 1 through June 30 is the first half of the year; July 1 through Dec. 31 is the second half.
LOL, I could just say "since when do a lot of things about horse racing make sense," but I've wondered the same thing myself. I've been told various reasons from "it's based on the natural foaling seasons between the two hemispheres (and a lengthy lecture about earth's tilted axis...exposure to the sun)" to "breed registries made decrees independently of one another." Maybe others can pipe in on this.

Exceed and Excel has powerful hind quarters too, but I'm mostly referring to her general body style and head, especially those cute ears. But I've seen him in the flesh and haven't seen her.
Flanders

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Thanks for the photo. I thought her build was much leaner than Nelly's, but that shot shows powerful hindquarters...and that part looks a LOT like Mum. :D
LOL, I could just say "since when do a lot of things about horse racing make sense," but I've wondered the same thing myself. I've been told various reasons from "it's based on the natural foaling seasons between the two hemispheres (and a lengthy lecture about earth's tilted axis...exposure to the sun)" to "breed registries made decrees independently of one another." Maybe others can pipe in on this.

Exceed and Excel has powerful hind quarters too, but I'm mostly referring to her general body style and head, especially those cute ears. But I've seen him in the flesh and haven't seen her.
I'm fairly certain it has to do with their breeding season which starts in September. I like their breeding/foaling rules better than the US. As long as your mare is covered during the defined "Covering Season", you aren't penalized if she foals early. However if you breed outside the official covering season, you are penalized.

Here are Australia's rules:
Covering Season – a nine-month period extending from 1 September
until 31 May next. It commences one month after the start of the
racing season and ends two months before the end of the racing
season. All coverings of a Thoroughbred mare by a stallion must be
restricted to the official covering season if the owner wants the foal to
be officially one year old on the 1 August that follows one month after
the end of the foaling season

Foaling Season – the twelve-month period extending from 1 July until
30 June next. It commences one month before the start of the racing
season and ends one month before the end of the racing season
A foal born to a mare whose first covering by a stallion is restricted to
the official covering season, will be officially aged one year old (a
yearling) on the 1 August which follows one month after the end of
the foaling season in which it was born (i.e. it will commence its
second official year of life on that day)

A foal born to a mare which was first covered by a stallion, at any
time outside the official covering season, will be officially aged one
year old on the day it was born and will become a two year old on
the 1 August which follows one month after the end of the foaling
season in which it was (i.e. it will commence its third official year
of life on that day)
Starine

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 pm

California Chrome's full sister wins at Del Mar
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... at-del-mar

Also, Rachel Alexandra's little bro Fayeq fired a bullet this morning in preparation for the Travers:
By Malibu Moon, the 3-year-old half brother to Hall of Famer Rachel Alexandra worked in company with 3-year-old maiden Last Stage, easily putting away his workmate to complete the move in :47.36 under jockey Luis Saez. The work was the fastest of 53 at the distance. NYRA clockers caught him galloping out to five furlongs in 1:01 1/5.

"He worked fabulous and galloped out great," McLaughlin said. "We're pointing for the Travers."

The breeze was his first since beating a talented group of sophomores by 3 1/2 lengths in a 1 1/8-mile allowance July 26. That victory was the second straight for Fayeq, who broke his maiden by 2 3/4 lengths in his third try June 11 at Belmont Park.

"We have to take a chance because of his pedigree and because he's a really nice horse," McLaughlin said. "We want to give him a try. It's a big step up, but we feel like he deserves the chance. ... And if we can get him to switch leads, that would help us a lot."

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ers-stakes
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Anonymity, the full sister to Hansen, just won the 6th at Del Mar, a 6 1/2-furlong MSW on the dirt, in impressive fashion. She may not look much like her brother (she's bright chestnut), but she can sure run.
Point Given

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Cowboytakemeaway (2-Year-Old Filly)
(Street Cry (IRE) - Hot Dixie Chick)
Date: August 11, 2017
Track: LOS ALAMITOS
Distance: Two Furlongs
Time: 25:80 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt
mariasmon

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:11 pm

mariasmon wrote:Anonymity (full to Hansen) will debut Friday in Race 6 at Del Mar.
She won.
tachyon

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 pm

tachyon wrote:Tanino Frankel(IRE), 2015C. Frankel(GB) x Vodka(JPN), has been entered for Niigata 5R 1600m turf Newcomer August 12th.

http://umanity.jp/en/racedata/race_8.ph ... 1204020505

2nd.
mariasmon

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:10 am

tachyon wrote:
tachyon wrote:Tanino Frankel(IRE), 2015C. Frankel(GB) x Vodka(JPN), has been entered for Niigata 5R 1600m turf Newcomer August 12th.

2nd.
At least he'll never have to deal with the burden of being undefeated. I never mind when a horse doesn't win their debut, as long as they a) show some interes and run well, b) look like they have significant room to improve off the initial effort or c) look like they have absolutely no clue what's going on, but come on at the end.
tachyon

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 am

mariasmon wrote:
tachyon wrote:

2nd.
At least he'll never have to deal with the burden of being undefeated. I never mind when a horse doesn't win their debut, as long as they a) show some interes and run well, b) look like they have significant room to improve off the initial effort or c) look like they have absolutely no clue what's going on, but come on at the end.
-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph6eGtimqA8
1st. #14 Thaxted(JPN) C2 Turtle Bowl(IRE) x Megaclite(JPN) by Agnes Tachyon(JPN)
2nd. #13 Tanino Frankel(IRE)

http://umanity.jp/en/racedata/race_21.p ... 1204020505

He at least showed early speed and battled on.
Let's see what he does in his next time out.
ThreeMustangs

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Sportswear (2yo c by Frankel out of Epsom Oaks winner Casual Look) runs next in R6 at Saratoga. I get the name, but blech.
mariasmon

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm

mariasmon wrote:Divining Rod will see if he can be the 3rd straight winner for Precious Kitten, following his full and half sisters' recent maiden breaking wins. He is entered in the Polynesian S. at Laurel on Saturday. His stablemate, Mo'ne Davis (1/2 to Barbaro), is entered in the Twixt S. on the same card.
Divining Rod won easily. Mo'ne's race is in a little under an hour.
mariasmon

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:51 pm

mariasmon wrote:Divining Rod will see if he can be the 3rd straight winner for Precious Kitten, following his full and half sisters' recent maiden breaking wins. He is entered in the Polynesian S. at Laurel on Saturday. His stablemate, Mo'ne Davis (1/2 to Barbaro), is entered in the Twixt S. on the same card.
Mo'ne Davis faded to 4th after leading much of the way.
mariasmon

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Mendelssohn (Scat Daddy), the sale-topping 1/2 bro to Into Mischief and Beholder, tries again tomorrow to break his maiden. He is in the 14:30 the Curragh, the G1 Phoenix S. undercard. Honor Code's 1/2 brother, Declarationofpeace (War Front), runs in the big race, along with stablemate U S Navy Flag (War Front x Misty for Me), a full brother to Roly Poly.
mariasmon

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm

mariasmon wrote:She's Funny (Tapit x Hystericalady) debuts in Race 7 at Del Mar on Saturday. I don't recall having seen Richard Mandella training for Godolphin prior to this.
Ran 5th. Didn't really make up any ground late.