Photos/News about Broodmares

tachyon

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:25 am

Zarkava(IRE) and her filly foal by Siyouni(FR) in the paddocks of Gilltown Stud

@agakhanstuds
TBird

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 am

Thank you, tachyon! What a gorgeous picture!
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Zarkava's filly is gorgeous...and it's fun to see the strides of mom and daughter absolutely dead on in sync. So cute. :D
tachyon

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:30 am

:D :D

Great Zarkava now has a two-year-old filly by Frankel, a yearling colt by Invincible Spirit, a filly foal by Siyouni and is currently in foal to Sea the Stars. :D
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

And her Zarak, who recently won the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, is a four-year-old by Dubawi. She has certainly filled her dance card with the very best stallions in Europe...except Galileo?
Did she have a 2014 foal?
mariasmon

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:And her Zarak, who recently won the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, is a four-year-old by Dubawi. She has certainly filled her dance card with the very best stallions in Europe...except Galileo?

And, just for fun, her elder daughter Zerkaza's record...

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 pm

That's quite a stallion list, but....counting her next year's foal by Sea the Stars (the first stud she's revisiting), she will have had a foal for NINE years straight, with no break. :shock:
I was under the impression that most farms like to give their broodmares a year off every so often. :?
mariasmon

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Zarkava must be pretty easy to get in foal, because she's stayed foaling on a fairly regular schedule. As long as she keeps getting in foal and dropping them in March/April, don't see anything wrong with what they're doing. If her body needs a break, I tend to think it will happen naturally.
neighhey

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:And her Zarak, who recently won the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, is a four-year-old by Dubawi. She has certainly filled her dance card with the very best stallions in Europe...except Galileo?
Sadly, her son by Galileo, Zarkar, died earlier this year in Argentina after standing his first season in 2016. His first foals should be arriving very soon. He got some nice mares, so I am looking forward to seeing his babies.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 am

Kelsey Riley‏ @kelseynrileyTDN
Fabulous day visiting Shadai and Northern Farms. Here is Princess of Sylmar and her Deep Impact filly.

At Shadai Farm today, Group 1 winner and producer Stacelita with her Deep Impact filly.

Multiple Grade I winner Zazu and her Deep Impact filly today at Northern Farm
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for the great photos...especially love the one of Zazu and her filly nuzzling each other. Looks like Zazu is going to provide Deep Impact with a rare grey daughter. 8-)
Diver52

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes, beautiful--really enjoy seeing "our" mares and their foals.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Starine

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:55 pm

They're all very pretty fillies. Something about Stacelita's really grabbed me though. The panache, perhaps?
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 pm

The death of star mare, Igugu
IT was reported on Thursday that Igugu, Mike de Kock’s star mare and winner of the Durban July and J&B Met, had died in Australia.

Facebook-based TSA News, doing a story on Igugu’s stakes-placed half-sister Ngaga (trained by Andre Nel), came across the shocking information that South Africa’s once darling mare had died on 24 November, 2016. It was reported in the Australian Stud Book.

“It was devastating to read that the four-time Gr1 winner had in fact died – were we the only one to miss this?” queried TSA and the answer is, they weren’t!

“This is simply bizarre,” said Mike de Kock when informed of Igugu’s death on Thursday evening. “It boggles my mind that it took the best part of a year for us to get to know about Igugu’s death when she’s the type of mare who’d deserve a state funeral!
http://mikedekockracing.com/wp/index.ph ... are-igugu/

Sounds like she left only two foals, including this filly, now a 2 year old named Atlaal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWKF4gF ... e=youtu.be
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:59 pm

That's both bizarre and sad. Does anyone know at what breeding farm she was residing at the time of her death?
For the news of such a top-class mare's death to go completely unreported, except for the paperwork submitted to their Jockey club... :shock:
Beats Coolmore for secrecy.
aethervox

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:09 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:For the news of such a top-class mare's death to go completely unreported, except for the paperwork submitted to their Jockey club... :shock:
I just ran across a 2017 Jockey Club death report for Pike Place Dancer. She won the 1996 Kentucky Oaks, so you'd think it would have rated a paragraph or two, but I haven't seen anything. (I also posted the news in the 'In memoriam 2017' thread)
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Perhaps because Pike Place Dancer passed at age 24? She had a fairly long life so, while I agree she deserves a paragraph on Paulick, it doesn't seem nearly as tragic...or strange...as the nearly-secret loss of the relatively-young Igugu.
Northport

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:06 am

I was just thinking about Igugu the other day. Considering she had been sent to England/Ireland for her breeding career, and she was only covered by English/Irish stallions, when did she end up in Australia? When in Aus, she probably would have been stabled at Coolmore, as that's where Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa al Maktoum boards his horses. It doesn't really explain the secrecy though since Coolmore had no financial interest in Igugu.

It's all terribly sad and leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Mike De Kock and his team who cared for her deserved better.
weeeeeeeee
tachyon

Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:The death of star mare, Igugu
IT was reported on Thursday that Igugu, Mike de Kock’s star mare and winner of the Durban July and J&B Met, had died in Australia.

Facebook-based TSA News, doing a story on Igugu’s stakes-placed half-sister Ngaga (trained by Andre Nel), came across the shocking information that South Africa’s once darling mare had died on 24 November, 2016. It was reported in the Australian Stud Book.

“It was devastating to read that the four-time Gr1 winner had in fact died – were we the only one to miss this?” queried TSA and the answer is, they weren’t!

“This is simply bizarre,” said Mike de Kock when informed of Igugu’s death on Thursday evening. “It boggles my mind that it took the best part of a year for us to get to know about Igugu’s death when she’s the type of mare who’d deserve a state funeral!
http://mikedekockracing.com/wp/index.ph ... are-igugu/

Sounds like she left only two foals, including this filly, now a 2 year old named Atlaal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWKF4gF ... e=youtu.be
That's devastating news. :cry: :cry:
RIP Igugu.
She was such a brave mare and it was huge fun to follow her and South African racings in those days.

P.S.
Where are you, Karen (drjohnh)??
starrydreamer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that Igugu is dead. She was such a lovely mare.