Stallion News

Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Shadwell Farm‏@ShadwellFarm
First mare scanned in foal to TAMARKUZ!
lurkey mclurker

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 am

From around the internet: White Muzzle, standing (pensioned recently?) in Japan, has died at age 27 from infirmities of old age.
mariasmon

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm

American Pharoah will shuttle to Australia. I'm only surprised he didn't go last year.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/am ... australia/
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Maybe they wanted to get at least two crops from him before they risked shipping him to the other side of the world?
I know that stallions shuttle regularly, but...it seems that we also regularly hear of issues like colic in shuttled horses. :(
I can't help but think it's a bit of a gamble every time you put a horse on plane, and send them to a strange environment. Hopefully, AP's near-bomb-proof temperament will make it easier for him.
I don't blame the Aussies for wanting to have AP available to them. I just hope that all goes well for our priceless Triple Crown champ.
Ziggypop

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:51 pm

mariasmon wrote:American Pharoah will shuttle to Australia. I'm only surprised he didn't go last year.

I am surprised at the how cheap the stud fee will be.
KimmieB

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Ziggypop wrote:
mariasmon wrote:American Pharoah will shuttle to Australia. I'm only surprised he didn't go last year.

Me too. It also makes me very curious as to how much breeders have paid for his private fee this year compared to last years fee.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe they wanted to get at least two crops from him before they risked shipping him to the other side of the world?
I know that stallions shuttle regularly, but...it seems that we also regularly hear of issues like colic in shuttled horses. :(
I can't help but think it's a bit of a gamble every time you put a horse on plane, and send them to a strange environment. Hopefully, AP's near-bomb-proof temperament will make it easier for him.
I don't blame the Aussies for wanting to have AP available to them. I just hope that all goes well for our priceless Triple Crown champ.
Agreed. Re Aussies wanted to have AP available, though, aren't most of their horses sprinters? Pharoah is most definitely not a sprinter. Maybe the thinking is he will bring balance to some of their bloodlines?
Treve

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Ziggypop wrote:

What's the most expensive the australian market usually pays for a highly sought after stallion?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:03 pm

RR: Re Aussies wanted to have AP available, though, aren't most of their horses sprinters? Pharoah is most definitely not a sprinter. Maybe the thinking is he will bring balance to some of their bloodlines?

That could definitely be part of the demand. IIRC, there has been some some grumbling from Down Under fans that their breeding industry has been falling down when it comes to providing winners for the Melbourne Cup. In recent years, much of the field for The Race That Stops a Nation has been composed of imports from Britain. :oops:
If AP, who did pretty well over 12 furlongs, can sire runners who can once again fly the flag for Australian stayers, Aussie fans will be very happy.
If he shuttles again in a couple of years, maybe he'll rate a date with the Wonderful Winx. ;) :D
Northport

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe they wanted to get at least two crops from him before they risked shipping him to the other side of the world?
Agreed. Re Aussies wanted to have AP available, though, aren't most of their horses sprinters? Pharoah is most definitely not a sprinter. Maybe the thinking is he will bring balance to some of their bloodlines?
I mean, he was still plenty precocious. A 2 y/o Champion and winner of a G1 at 7f. Also free of Danehill.
weeeeeeeee
Sunline

Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:26 am

Treve wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:

What's the most expensive the australian market usually pays for a highly sought after stallion?
Here are the stallions with the highest fees in 2016(in australian dollars)

Fastnet Rock(AUS)-private
Snitzel(AUS)-$110,000
Redoute's Choice(AUS)-$110,000
Medaglia D,Oro(USA)-$110,000
Exceed and Excel(AUS)$110,000
Sunline (1995-2009)- Queen of the Turf/ Mare of the World.
oldgraymare

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am

Pure economics, if he stays here there's the cost of upkeep with no return on investment. Shuttle down under and you collect another season of stud fees. If his book does well in Australia, at a low fee, they can always raise it next year when the foals hit the ground and look good.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:12 pm

If Coolmore has a number of mares at their Australian farm that they want to breed to 'Pharoah, might that have played a factor in deciding to shuttle him?
I'm not in love with the idea of our Triple Crown champ shipping to the other side of the world, but that is easier than shipping a dozen or so mares from Oz to Kentucky, and then back again after they're impregnated here.
TapitsGal

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Giant Oak is gone per millennium Farms FB page
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:05 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Giant Oak is gone per millennium Farms FB page
I came on this page to post that California Chrome's first book is full per info on the TM Facebook page, and saw the news about Giant Oak. Such a beautiful stallion. Rushed over to the farm's Facebook page, but didn't see the news and didn't find it on their website.

Too much sad news about stallions so far this year. I have high hopes for the stud careers of several young stallions who retired over the last couple of years although knowing how few make it at the top level of the breeding industry. A stallion like Giant Oak fills an important niche in the sport. Losing him at such a young age is surely heartbreaking for everyone involved with him, and it makes a fan like me almost gun shy of looking at racing and breeding news for fear of something happening to any of the ones I'm particularly fond of.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:34 pm

First mare confirmed in foal to Flintshire
Hill 'n' Dale Farms reported today that champion Flintshire, a five-time Grade 1 winner of over $9.5 million and the leading turf earner in the world today, had his first mare, Singwiththebirds, confirmed in foal. Owned by Elevage, the mare is a half-sister to multiple champion and Grade 1 winner Up With the Birds, by Stormy Atlantic.

Supported by international powerhouses Juddmonte, China Horse Club, SF Bloodstock and Hill 'n' Dale, Singwiththebirds is one of over 100 mares currently booked to Flintshire.

Counted among the mares that will visit the stallion are seven-time Grade 1 winner and graded stakes producer Sightseek, Unfold the Rose - dam of two-time Breeders' Cup winner Stephanie's Kitten, Glittering Tax - dam of three-time Grade 1-winning millionaire Miss Temple City who defeated colts in two of those Grade 1 races, Quest to Peak - the dam of three-time Group 1-winning millionaire Special Duty, Gateway - a half-sister to Grade 1 winners Empire Maker, Honest Lady and Chester House, herself out of Broodmare of the Year Toussaud, and more.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/35444
Izvestia

Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 pm

That's an exciting match - Flintshire and Singwiththebirds!
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Flintshire has a wonderful pedigree that brings some genetic diversity to many North American mares. I especially appreciate his maternal grandsire, Sadlers Wells, who descends in tail female from Thong. She was a full sister to Ridan, the horse I honor with my screen name here, as well as to Lt. Stevens and Moccasin. She was also a half sister to Gambetta and to Special, the dam of Nureyev and Fairy Bridge, dam of Sadlers Wells.
mariasmon

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Tourist will shuttle to Don Alberto in Chile, along with Constitution, who will return for his 2nd season there.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Dowsing to stand in Indiana
Dowsing, a son of leading Japanese sire Deep Impact from the Niarchos breeding program, will enter stud at Holden Thoroughbred and Running Quarter Horse Farm in Greenfield, Ind., for the 2017 breeding season, where he will stand for an advertised fee of $10,000.

The Japanese-bred 4-year-old was sent to France to run under the colors of the Niarchos family’s Flaxman Holdings, but a tendon injury kept him from making a start. Farm co-owner Jay Holden said Flaxman Holdings has retained some breeding rights to the stallion.

Dowsing will be the first son of Deep Impact, himself a son of Japanese breed-shaping stallion Sunday Silence, to stand in the U.S. He joins fellow Holden Farm resident Victor's Cry as Indiana's top stallion by advertised fee for the 2017 season. Next closest are Majestic Harbor at Swifty Farms and Sahara Sky at R Star Stallions, who each debut this season at $4,000. Holden said the pricing on the five-figure stallions was aimed to increase the quality of mares they receive.

“We were the first Americans to own and stand a son of Sunday Silence [Eishin Masamune], so we are already huge fans of Sunday Silence, which meant we have followed Deep Impact since his [Japanese] Triple Crown run,” Holden said. “Deep Impact's offspring have an unbelievably quick turn of foot when asked. They are some of the greatest milers going and tend to carry it further if asked.”
http://www.drf.com/news/dowsing-stand-indiana