Stallion News

Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
It's been a rough week for American classic winners.

Louis Quatorze, winner of the 1996 Preakness Stakes (G1) and placed in five other grade 1 stakes, including the Breeders' Cup Classic, died of an apparent heart attack in his paddock at Murmur Farms two days before the death of dual classic winner Charismatic.

The 24-year-old son of Sovereign Dancer—On to Royalty, by On to Glory, was being called to the gate of his paddock after being out the morning of Feb. 17. As he galloped across the paddock to the gate, he collapsed and died immediately. He has been buried at Murmur Farm in Darlington, Md.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ium=social
WarBiscuit

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack

Louis Quatorze, winner of the 1996 Preakness Stakes (G1) and placed in five other grade 1 stakes, including the Breeders' Cup Classic, died of an apparent heart attack in his paddock at Murmur Farms two days before the death of dual classic winner Charismatic.

The 24-year-old son of Sovereign Dancer—On to Royalty, by On to Glory, was being called to the gate of his paddock after being out the morning of Feb. 17. As he galloped across the paddock to the gate, he collapsed and died immediately. He has been buried at Murmur Farm in Darlington, Md.
The last few weeks have not been too kind. At least he made it to a decent age and was well cared for. Been following his 10yo son, Regal Warrior, over on the War Horse thread lately. RIP Louis Quatorze. If there is a horse heaven, the greeting room has been pretty crowded lately...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Starine

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:35 pm

I admit I haven't thought about Louis Quatorze in a long time, but I still remember what a good-looking horse he was.
Izvestia

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Starine wrote:I admit I haven't thought about Louis Quatorze in a long time, but I still remember what a good-looking horse he was.
He was a gorgeous colour, and that beautiful blaze.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 am

WarBiscuit wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack

The last few weeks have not been too kind. At least he made it to a decent age and was well cared for. Been following his 10yo son, Regal Warrior, over on the War Horse thread lately. RIP Louis Quatorze. If there is a horse heaven, the greeting room has been pretty crowded lately...

WarBiscuit
My friend from Maryland said there was a time you went to Pimilco or the PA tracks and there were a huge number of horses running that had Louis in their breeding. He got some nice runners over the years. Well done, Louis, rest in peace.
Starine

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Sun King, son of the late Charismatic, is officially pensioned and off to Old Friends.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Old Friends? :?
I didn't used to have such a negative reaction to news of a retiree heading to OF, but now.... :(
And it being a son of Charismatic just seems to make the twinge worse.
Northport

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Maybe one of the families that have donated a horse to OF will request the installation of some security cameras, or the hiring of a night watchman. I am kind of surprised that a break in, fire, and the whole Charismatic thing hasn't stalled owners.
weeeeeeeee
Summer Bird

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:38 pm

I don't get why that would stall owners from sending their horses to Old Friends. I've volunteered there, and they take fantastic care of their horses. They get to be horses by being outside 24/7, although certain ones do come in for the evening. There was no way Charismatic was going to be saved even if there was a night watch person.
Treve

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 am

I'm thinking he could have easily had a hairline fracture that occurred during the plane ride to the US, or even before - then exacerbated by the trip. It could've easily gone undetected and unknowingly ignored and that little 'thud' of him lying down and shifting his hips would have been enough to make it finally crack fully and break.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Calypso

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 am

Summer Bird wrote:I don't get why that would stall owners from sending their horses to Old Friends. I've volunteered there, and they take fantastic care of their horses. They get to be horses by being outside 24/7, although certain ones do come in for the evening. There was no way Charismatic was going to be saved even if there was a night watch person.
I agree with this. Charismatic's time had come and there was nothing anyone could do to prevent it. I feel like Charismatic and Security should be two separate conversations. As Northport mentioned, they did have a break in at the office and a barn fire, so I think increased security is definitely a conversation that should be had. It still wouldn't have affected the outcome for Charismatic, but it would give us a better idea as to when it happened.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
Ioya Two

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Wow, I guess there was absolutely zero interest in him as a stallion overseas. He isn't even that old.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Toast of New York undergoing vet evaluation for possible return to racing. He's been standing stud in Qatar, but has been returned to the UK for the evaluation.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... -training/
ThreeMustangs

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Any updates on Lord Nelson? I'm hoping no news is good news.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Starine wrote:Sun King, son of the late Charismatic, is officially pensioned and off to Old Friends.
Old FriendsVerified account
‏@Oldfriendsfarm
Bittersweet to welcome Charismatic's successful son $2 million earner SUN KING to his new home.
Izvestia

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Sun King is a gorgeous boy! It's hard to see because he's a totally different colour, but he has the same head and eyes as Charismatic (imo).
Handsome!
Starine

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 am

He's ribby. I wonder if he's just a hard keeper.
Northport

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 am

He also just got off the trailer from Louisiana, they're always going to lose a bit of weight shipping. He could be a hard keeper though, but they're never going look their best off the trailer.
weeeeeeeee
Izvestia

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:39 am

Some of them are just ribby and hard keepers forever. Mine is. Also, I'd rather a little rib than some obese stallion - they look worse to me.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:43 pm

TVGVerified account
‏@TVG
Everybody smile!!! The first mare confirmed in foal to California Chrome has been reported!!