Stallion News

TBird

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:Colour me impressed than the actually noted and reported one!
I really an surprised.

So, begs the question.....will DOC be tagged for that and essentially not make the 1st/2nd/3rd crop sires list?
I suspect that the sire lists will ignore the one foal and track DOC with the rest of his peers.

The stallion I wonder about with regard to the sire lists is Animal Kingdom. His first foals were born in Australia six months ahead of his first U.S. crop. So will the lists only track his Northern Hemisphere foals? Or will they "start" him as a 2nd crop stallion?
Summer Bird

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm

There's talk on twitter that Lucky Pulpit has died. No article yet though.
Retrospectiv

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:54 pm

TBird wrote:
Retrospectiv wrote:Colour me impressed than the actually noted and reported one!
I really an surprised.

So, begs the question.....will DOC be tagged for that and essentially not make the 1st/2nd/3rd crop sires list?
I suspect that the sire lists will ignore the one foal and track DOC with the rest of his peers.

The stallion I wonder about with regard to the sire lists is Animal Kingdom. His first foals were born in Australia six months ahead of his first U.S. crop. So will the lists only track his Northern Hemisphere foals? Or will they "start" him as a 2nd crop stallion?
Thanks for the insight.

Per Animal Kingdom....only if we're calculating Australian earnings I'd think and the BH sires list at least doesn't seem to be. Winx, with her current win would be far and away Street Cry's leading runner, but their sire list updated as of today doesn't include her...
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Summer Bird wrote:There's talk on twitter that Lucky Pulpit has died. No article yet though.
All I've seen:

https://twitter.com/ScottCoburn4/status ... 1328104448
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Summer Bird wrote:There's talk on twitter that Lucky Pulpit has died. No article yet though.
All I've seen:

https://twitter.com/ScottCoburn4/status ... 1328104448
No official word from Harris Farms yet, and that twitter feed has one person asking if it's true because there is conflicting information. I hope it's not true. Lucky Pulpit is very important to Harris Farms and California Breeding since he was the top stallion in CA last year not only due to Chrome's earnings, but in number of winners. It would be heartbreaking for him to die just as his stallion career was on the upswing like this.

Update: It must be true because both Horse Racing Nation and Lucky Pulpit's Wikipedia page show him as deceased. I'm so very sad about this news. :cry:
TapitsGal

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 pm

I've been taught not to view Wikipedia as an accurate source but horse racing nation I'd assume is reliable
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I've been taught not to view Wikipedia as an accurate source but horse racing nation I'd assume is reliable
Agreed about Wikipedia, but Horse Racing Nation is reliable, I hope, because here's a link to Lucky Pulpit's page and they show him as deceased: http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Lucky_Pulpit

As I type this, it's 9:30pm Eastern time, 6:30pm Pacific time, and finally there is news from Bloodhorse here: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ium=social

Lucky Pulpit died from a heart attack while covering his first mare of the season. So very sad.
Psychotic Parakeet

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Confirmed. Lucky Pulpit died after covering his first mare of the season:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... art-attack
I wanna do bad things with you.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Fame and Glory and Lucky Pulpit on the same day of heart attacks while covering a mare?
:(
Sparrow Castle

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Was hoping it wasn't true. A big loss to the California breeding program. So sad for all his connections and fans. RIP Lucky Pulpit.
oldgraymare

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:47 am

RIP boy, at least he died doing something he loved. Not to be mercenary but breeding is a business. So if that mare takes how much do you think this last foal will be worth, especially if it's a colt?
bare it all

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:37 am

oldgraymare wrote:RIP boy, at least he died doing something he loved. Not to be mercenary but breeding is a business. So if that mare takes how much do you think this last foal will be worth, especially if it's a colt?
Depends on the mare and what the "novelty" standpoint is in a year or so.
TapitsGal

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 pm

I think this makes Chrome retiring all the more special. He can carry on daddy's genes
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak
Rockingham Ranch to offer all broodmares that were booked to Lucky Pulpit this yr a free season to Finnegans Wake. Story soon @BloodHorse
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:50 pm

That's a very classy thing for Rockingham to do (although any successful offspring of this gift would help promote the young stallion ;) ).
However, I wonder how many of Lucky Pulpit's mares would be well-matched with Finnegan's Wake. If they were planning on an A.P. Indy/Pulpit bloodline, would the Sadler's Wells/Powerscourt line work for them?
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:55 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's a very classy thing for Rockingham to do (although any successful offspring of this gift would help promote the young stallion ;) ).
However, I wonder how many of Lucky Pulpit's mares would be well-matched with Finnegan's Wake. If they were planning on an A.P. Indy/Pulpit bloodline, would the Sadler's Wells/Powerscourt line work for them?
Hard to say how many breeders will take them up on it. Here's the article.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ium=social
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:23 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's a very classy thing for Rockingham to do (although any successful offspring of this gift would help promote the young stallion ;) ).
Over on the Bloodhorse.com thread about Lucky Pulpit's passing, someone keeps insisting that Rockingham did this without notifying Harris Farms and seeking agreement. I don't know if this is true or even if it would have been necessary for Rockingham to notify Harris, but that person's claims -- insistence, really -- put a cloud over the situation.
starrydreamer

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Over on the Bloodhorse.com thread about Lucky Pulpit's passing, someone keeps insisting that Rockingham did this without notifying Harris Farms and seeking agreement. I don't know if this is true or even if it would have been necessary for Rockingham to notify Harris, but that person's claims -- insistence, really -- put a cloud over the situation.
But do they have to get agreement from Harris Farms? The owners of the mares booked to Lucky Pulpit don't HAVE to go to Finnegan's Wake, and I'm guessing a lot of them won't because, like someone else said, if they were thinking of crossing with Pulpit/AP Indy, Finnegan's Wake's bloodlines are pretty different. But for breeders who are more cash strapped and can't afford for their mares to be open for a season, at least they have a free option.

I'm guessing Harris Farms is contacting the owners of the mares themselves to try to work something out, so really, Rockingham can do what it wants.
bare it all

Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I still don't get how "full" Lucky Pulpit's book would have been. Back out California Chrome and what are you left with? Maybe the only "real" draw is the direct line to AP Indy blood through him for the Cali breeders. Not a whole lot of that out west.

I'd go to Eddington with my California mare. Seems to get an honest runner or two.
sweettalk

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm

bare it all wrote:I still don't get how "full" Lucky Pulpit's book would have been. Back out California Chrome and what are you left with? Maybe the only "real" draw is the direct line to AP Indy blood through him for the Cali breeders. Not a whole lot of that out west.

I'd go to Eddington with my California mare. Seems to get an honest runner or two.
well he recently won some most winners by a california stallion in 2016 award (something very close) so i imagine he was getting a good number.

edit; here it is
Champion Sire of California Conceived Foals by Number of Winners – Lucky Pulpit