Stallion News

Ridan_Remembered

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 am

Not sure where to put this, but I heard from Taylor Made that Chrome is breeding his test mares with ease...their words, not mine. Yay!!! First step in his stallion career off to a great start. 8-)
Miss Woodford

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Not sure where to put this, but I heard from Taylor Made that Chrome is breeding his test mares with ease...their words, not mine. Yay!!! First step in his stallion career off to a great start. 8-)
Are those test mares TBs? Or other breeds? I know Secretariat had an appaloosa foal from his test mating, wonder if there will be any crossbred Chromies running around next spring...
Retrospectiv

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:Not sure where to put this, but I heard from Taylor Made that Chrome is breeding his test mares with ease...their words, not mine. Yay!!! First step in his stallion career off to a great start. 8-)
Are those test mares TBs? Or other breeds? I know Secretariat had an appaloosa foal from his test mating, wonder if there will be any crossbred Chromies running around next spring...

I'd assume most TB farms would now use mares with their ovaries removed or other breed mares. No farm wants that possibility of a single foal 'crop'.

Secretariat also had a half draft son named Statesman.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 pm

I don't know what breeds the test mares are, but only received the text from the farm that I shared here. One of the best things about this forum is that there are people who are knowledgeable about such things, so I defer to them. :)
Retrospectiv

Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:05 am

Lots of companies have use for spayed mares.
I know some farms used to breed back nurse mares. Thought that was more a 'reward' for teasers though :D
Realistically you could always breed any mare and then 'lute' her to abort any pregnancy.
Spayed mares eliminate extra foals and you still teach breeding shed technique and manners and check semen quality and mobility.

I'm sure there are part breds running around out there by decent sires..... you just never hear of them.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Treve

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:03 pm

in the case of test mares wouldn't it make more sense to keep their ovaries for receptiveness, as well as to entice the stallion through pheromones, and just section their fallopian tubes?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Retrospectiv

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 pm

Treve wrote:in the case of test mares wouldn't it make more sense to keep their ovaries for receptiveness, as well as to entice the stallion through pheromones, and just section their fallopian tubes?

They just give them a shot to bring them into heat.
Summer Bird

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:47 pm

According to twitter, Roman Ruler has passed away due to laminitis. The story is in Spanish, so I apologize.

http://www.caballosdelmundo.com/2017/en ... ruler.html
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:56 pm

It's awful sad about Roman Ruler. Ugh. One of my fondest hopes for this new year is that finally, at long last, veterinary science will find a cure for this horrible disease. :(
Life At Zen

Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Summer Bird wrote:According to twitter, Roman Ruler has passed away due to laminitis. The story is in Spanish, so I apologize.

http://www.caballosdelmundo.com/2017/en ... ruler.html

From Google Translate:
Roman Ruler died this afternoon at the Haras Vacation at his 15 years of age. The condition of laminitis suffered after severe colic was the cause of his premature death.

The marriage hut of Damasia Lottero and Pablo Zavaleta announced the sad novelty through a social network:

"Unfortunately today we have to communicate some sad news for us and the Argentine turf, we have suffered the loss of Roman Ruler and died at 15.30hs today.

His behavior until the last second was stoic. Never surrendered. He put his heart as when he ran and as his children do and no doubt will continue to do.

We will never forget how they once commented on that bearing with its haughty bangs.

A racing horse, an unforgettable stallion.

We greatly appreciated having been able to enjoy it, it was a great privilege. We are honored to have had it with us. "

Roman Ruler, born in 2002, is the son of Fusaichi Pegasus (1997, Mr. Prospector), winner of the Kentucky Derby, who is still in service at Ashmore Stud in Coolmore. Her mother, Silvery Swan (1994, Silver Deputy), was not a runner and is also the mother of the G1 owner and stallion El Corredor (Mr Greeley), who was her first baby when she was pregnant at the age of two.

Roman Ruler entered the United States in 2006 and was second in the First Breeders' Statistic in 2009, a list he had led until December 30th, and the last day of the year was overtaken by Offlee Wild by a minimum Of their children's earnings in training. With that first litter was represented by Homeboykris, winner of Champagne S. (G1); And by Rule, winner of G2 and multiple place in G1 including Florida Derby, Donn and Woodward. The following year he shone through Ruler On Ice, winner of Classic with his win at the Belmont Stakes (G1).

In Argentina, Roman Ruler's first children were born in 2009, a generation to which the winners of the top level Caldine (Champion 2 and 3 Years), Tarsilia, Proud Ruler and Fragotero belong.

In later years, Lenovo (Champion Sprinter 2014), Tirolesca (Champion Sprinter 2015), and Le Blues, winner of the GP of Foals (G1) of 2015, who started in the breeding in Haras El Paraíso in 2016.

Among other degree winners are known names such as Interdetto, Emmanuel, Corsalone, Itan De Hui, Always Ruler, Dandini, and Romaño.

At the moment, with 5 productions of age of running in our country, Roman Ruler is father of 29 classic winners and 212 winners of 289 runners. There are 3 generations that will be debuting in the next seasons: those born in 2015, 2016 and this year.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Izvestia

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:08 am

How sad. I got to meet him when he was 2, and he was such a handsome character. RIP buddy
Diver52

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 am

I saw him run as well, lovely horse--although the first time iIsaw him, he wass upset by Declan's Moon in the Del Mar Futurity. IIRC. Glad that he seems to have done well and been cherished iin SA.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Ioya Two

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Value Plus had his goodies on full display at Fasig Tipton. The handler was laughing, and the deadpan response by the auctioneer was pure gold. Lol.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Sparrow Castle

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Value Plus sold to FLEETWOOD BLOODSTOCK for $13k

Stallions sold at the F-T Winter Mixed Sales today (from Joe Nevills ‏@DRFNevills)

Cool Coal Man will continue his stallion career in Europe after bringing $25k. Agt signing ticket couldn't reveal client/destination. #FTFeb

Follow up: Buyer Joe Merrick said I Spent It will stand at his farm in Oklahoma. #FTFeb

Notional is headed to Indiana after changing hands for $8k as part of the Rockin' Z Ranch dispersal. #FTFeb

Oklahoma-based Danny Caldwell buys stallion Da Stoops for $4k. #FTFeb

Follow up: Buyer Joe Merrick said I Spent It will stand at his farm in Oklahoma. #FTFeb

Results: http://www.fasigtipton.com/ci/results/v ... nter-Mixed
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:37 pm

Grade 1 winner Purge relocated to Korea to stand stud
Grade 1 winner Purge will continue his stallion career in Korea after being relocated from The Philippines.

The 16-year-old son of Pulpit arrived on Jan. 23 after standing the past five breeding seasons at Jade Bros. Farm in Lipa City, south of Manila. He stood his first six seasons in the U.S., entering stud at Vinery in Lexington, Ky., for the 2006 season, then moving to Vinery New York for one season in 2011 before being exported.

Purge has sired nine crops of racing age, with 249 winners and progeny earnings of more than $16 million. His top runners include Panamanian champion Outskirt Lady and Venezuelan Group 1 winner Dixie Emperor. Domestically, Purge was led by Grade 2-placed stakes winner Extensive.
http://www.drf.com/news/grade-1-winner- ... stand-stud
Sparrow Castle

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Connect to Stand at Lane’s End
Paul Pompa, Jr.’s GI Cigar Mile hero Connect (Curlin–Bullville Belle, by Holy Bull) will stand at Will Farish’s Lane’s End Farm upon his retirement from racing.
Pompa purchased Connect for just $150,000 at the Fasig-Tipton July sale and he hails from the extended female family of Pompa’s GISW Backseat Rhythm (El Corredor).

“I’ve been very fortunate to own many top class racehorses, but Connect is in another league,” said Pompa. “When it came time to determine the future of his stallion career, the best choice was Lane’s End. Their success in making world class stallions and the people involved made it a very easy decision. I’m excited to run him again this year and very much looking forward to being involved with the Farish family and Lane’s End for many years to come.”
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/co ... lanes-end/
barbaro111

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Value Plus sold to FLEETWOOD BLOODSTOCK for $13k

Stallions sold at the F-T Winter Mixed Sales today (from Joe Nevills ‏@DRFNevills)

Cool Coal Man will continue his stallion career in Europe after bringing $25k. Agt signing ticket couldn't reveal client/destination. #FTFeb

Notional is headed to Indiana after changing hands for $8k as part of the Rockin' Z Ranch dispersal. #FTFeb

Oklahoma-based Danny Caldwell buys stallion Da Stoops for $4k. #FTFeb

Results: http://www.fasigtipton.com/ci/results/v ... nter-Mixed

I just read on Bloodhorse that Cool Coal Man is headed to Iran :twisted:
sweettalk

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoro ... r-in-iran/

*shrug* first i've heard of it, though.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Barbados Retired to Shamrock Farm
Suzanne Stables’ GSW Barbados (Speightstown–Northern Station, by Street Cry {Ire}) has been retired to Shamrock Farm in Maryland and will stand for a fee of $2,500 for the 2017 season.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ba ... XU.twitter
Point Given

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Uncle Lino retired to stand at Northview PA

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nnsylvania