Stallion News

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:45 pm

If you're lumping me in with the "slaughter fearmongering" crew, you apparently missed my posts over on the Charismatic Comes Home thread. :lol:
My question here had more to do with the original farm's desire to reacquire the horse, and what would happen if the foreign buyer declined to abide by the buyback clause in the contract.
Are there Horse Repo men? :P
Ziggypop

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That brings up an uncomfortable question: Even though some sales of American stallions abroad supposedly have clauses that allow buyback, or something like that, what happens if Korea or Turkey (or whatever country is standing the horse) refuses to 'come to terms,' or agree to any price for that buyback? :?
Then they'll live out their lives in their new home country. The slaughter fearmongering here is really absurd.
As is some of the naivety.
Northport

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Naive to think that high profile breeding stallions will not end up in slaughter houses after being sold to non-US farms... in 2016... where tracking and getting information on horses and farms is easier than ever and farms are increasingly transparent and accountable? Okay.

As has been said in the Charismatic thread, it's not like North America is some haven where no once well-connected horse has ever been sent to slaughter. It's naive to think otherwise.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If you're lumping me in with the "slaughter fearmongering" crew, you apparently missed my posts over on the Charismatic Comes Home thread. :lol:
My question here had more to do with the original farm's desire to reacquire the horse, and what would happen if the foreign buyer declined to abide by the buyback clause in the contract.
Are there Horse Repo men? :P
I don't think they have to send the horse back. Its more just a sign of goodwill that they do. I mean Japan is pretty much the only country that sends stallions back. Its like 20 years later they are still facing repercussions of one guy sending Ferdinand to slaughter.
Turkey has refused to send back Sea Hero but he didn't have a buyback clause because he was sold at Keeneland. But I can't fault anyone for wanting to keep their own horse.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:47 pm

I wasn't really talking about returning pensioned stallions to the US...I was responding to the post about Posse's original owners being unable to 'come to terms' regarding shuttling the stallion back to the NY farm.
I'm wondering what would happen if a foreign entity refused to abide by a buyback clause in the original sales contract. Say Coolmore decides that they want Hansen back at Ashford, but Korea doesn't want to cooperate?
Or if Taylor Made has seller's remorse about sending Pleasantly Perfect to Turkey. With today's political climate in Turkey, if the Turkish National Stud didn't want to abide by a buyback clause, how would you pressure Turkey into sending the horse back to the US?
:?:
Le Beau Bai

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Delegator (GB) was found dead in his paddock last night (12/8) from a suspected cardiac event. He stood at Overbury Stud in the UK and was only 10 :(
mariasmon

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:41 pm

The Zetchers have decided not to sell Firing Line and will stand him at Crestwood.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -crestwood
Starine

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Arc and Epsom Derby hero Workforce will be at stud in Ireland from Japan.
Diver52

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:45 pm

If a foreign farm refused to honor a return clause, the U.S. party would simply file suit. It's the same with any breach of contract. Some sales contracts may even include a clause that the foreign buyer agrees to be sued in the U.S. Now, whether a U.S. seller would actually want to find a lawyer in Korea or Turkey and go through litigation--but there are certainly law firms with worldwide branches. Many nations--perhaps most--will honor a foreign judgment and enforce it, as long as it was obtained with reasonably fair procedures.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Northport

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Starine wrote:Arc and Epsom Derby hero Workforce will be at stud in Ireland from Japan.
He really hadn't done too well in Japan. His book size dropped from 162 in 2015 to 57 in 2016 and despite all of the opportunities he got and how big his books were in his early years, the only graded stakes performers he has are a pair of G3 third placed finishes. He could get a lot of support as a NH sire though.
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:51 am

Le Beau Bai wrote:Delegator (GB) was found dead in his paddock last night (12/8) from a suspected cardiac event. He stood at Overbury Stud in the UK and was only 10 :(
Very sad. Hope his offspring do him proud.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/de ... -overbury/
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Here is a terrific article about planning for California Chrome's first season at stud, beginning in February 2017. The article discusses some of the top-class mares that are in his first book and the plans for getting him ready to cover mares so soon after the Pegasus. It also provides an analysis of Chrome's pedigree and the types of mares that are being accepted for his book. It's a wonderful behind-the-scenes look at the thinking that goes into making a stallion. (As usual, Perry Martin is dreaming huge, but that's ok. If you're going to dream about such things, might as well dream big.)

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... ud-career/
TapitsGal

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Trumpeting Chrome as going on to be a better sire than Tapit when he hasn't even bred a mare yet.... that's ummm a lofty goal isn't it?
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 pm

TapitsGal wrote:Trumpeting Chrome as going on to be a better sire than Tapit when he hasn't even bred a mare yet.... that's ummm a lofty goal isn't it?
Definitely. In typical blustery Perry Martin fashion, he aims for the farthest star out there. Nothing wrong with having big dreams, but he doesn't seem to be a man who knows how to temper his public statements and it comes off badly. Given that we are all flawed human beings, I don't fault him for it while at the same time wishing he would learn to tone himself down. A little humility from Martin would be very welcome. The reason is that some people hold the Martin antics against the horse, and I wish that wasn't the case.

Aside from Martin's typical boastful behavior, the Taylor Made folks seem to be doing a thoughtful job of selecting mares to give Chrome every chance to make it as a sire. I am a little concerned that they are going to rush him into breeding directly off the track without the usual let-down period. I have zero experience breeding horses, so don't know what impact, if any, that might have on Chrome.
Katewerk

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Has it always been the practice to separate racing and breeding into distinct career paths? In other disciplines, stallions are used while still in competition.
mariasmon

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Katewerk wrote:Has it always been the practice to separate racing and breeding into distinct career paths? In other disciplines, stallions are used while still in competition.
In other disciplines, are the stallions doing all live cover breeding? I'm doubting it.
Katewerk

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:23 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Katewerk wrote:Has it always been the practice to separate racing and breeding into distinct career paths? In other disciplines, stallions are used while still in competition.
In other disciplines, are the stallions doing all live cover breeding? I'm doubting it.
That I don't know.
Retrospectiv

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:33 pm

There are TB stallions who have spent time breeding and gone back to the track, but it's certainly not the norm.

Bertrando an George Washington probably two of the better known, and their circumstances were obviously different.

Given how studdish Chrome used to act post race in his younger years I doubt it'll be a tough transition for him lol. Perhaps just mentally and manners wise with a rushed into into a full book of covering. Of course, Coolmore rushed Holy Roman Emporer off the track and into the shed as a spring 3yr old to cover for George.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Northport

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Some hunter ponies in North America are conceived via natural covering, but hunter pony stallions can't be competed over fences by anyone under the age of 18 so they don't really do all that much showing at a national level, if at all.

In my experience, almost all showjumping and hunter horses are conceived via AI. In North America at least.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:33 pm

From what I've seen, some of the best show jumping and dressage horses are stallions, and they can compete well into their teens. If you know you have an exceptional horse, it makes sense to start their stud career via AI before their work in the ring ends.