Stallion News

Flanders

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:15 pm

The syndicate is doing right by its investors with selling Take Charge Indy. His yearlings were overall received very poorly. Over 60 were losses for their breeder(or RNAd at a level they would be losses), if you figure in his $20,000 stud fee at the time, mares expenses, raising a yearling to go to the sale, etc, etc, etc. He also had a very large number sell for $20,000 and under, alot under $10,000.

South Korea has a huge Thoroughbred industry. The US Thoroughbred handle in 2015 was $10.6 billion. South Korea was over $6 billion, that is in a country a 1/5th the size of California. They are going to keep buying better stock. They'll get to the point where they need to bring in some nice broodmares.

I don't see the problem with selling horses to other countries, that is how the Thoroughbred industry has always worked.
Treve

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:29 pm

Flanders wrote:The syndicate is doing right by its investors with selling Take Charge Indy. His yearlings were overall received very poorly. Over 60 were losses for their breeder(or RNAd at a level they would be losses), if you figure in his $20,000 stud fee at the time, mares expenses, raising a yearling to go to the sale, etc, etc, etc. He also had a very large number sell for $20,000 and under, alot under $10,000.

South Korea has a huge Thoroughbred industry. The US Thoroughbred handle in 2015 was $10.6 billion. South Korea was over $6 billion, that is in a country a 1/5th the size of California. They are going to keep buying better stock. They'll get to the point where they need to bring in some nice broodmares.

I don't see the problem with selling horses to other countries, that is how the Thoroughbred industry has always worked.
And indeed, whether in Europe or North America, or Japan we would not have the horses we have were it not for international selling and buying.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
halo

Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:05 am

Social Inclusion to Woodford in Ocala.
WarBiscuit

Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:21 pm

15yo Jet Phone has died...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... phone-dies

Modest stallion, but well loved.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:27 pm

Protonica has been retired to Taylor Made, giving that farm another stallion who raced through his fifth year.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... co-retired
Never a great horse, but he was always a pretty good one...and is a very handsome horse. Being by Giant's Causeway out of an A.P. Indy mare, he has a classic pedigree. Pretty nice female family.
Starine

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:16 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Protonica has been retired to Taylor Made, giving that farm another stallion who raced through his fifth year.
Never a great horse, but he was always a pretty good one...and is a very handsome horse. Being by Giant's Causeway out of an A.P. Indy mare, he has a classic pedigree. Pretty nice female family.
I always liked Wild Spirit... so I hope he does well. The only photos I saw of him were him running so I'd love to see how handsome he is standing.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:18 am

When I checked his five-cross pedigree, I realized that his great-great grandsire on his tail-female line is Wild Again.
That horse was so fiercely competitive that his jockey in the '84 BC Classic said that he never felt a horse he was riding try SO hard to win. Grunted with every stride he took as he fought to put his nose in front of that great three-way battle.
Protonico looks a lot more like Wild Again than Giant's Causeway, which IMO is pretty cool. ;)
mariasmon

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Adding to their motley collection of stallions, looks like Calumet will also be standing Bal a Bali for 2017.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-regi ... a-bali-brz
bare it all

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Just looking at the pedigree on Bal a Bali.

There's a very obvious name from this pairing that would undoubtedly get nixed by the JC...
Put It Back - In My Side :lol:

Regardless, a really interesting pedigree and he definitely 'fits' at Calumet.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak
Anchor Down is being syndicated and will stand for $10,000 in 2017. He is available for inspection @Gainesway from 12:30 -2:30 p.m. daily.

(Tapit - Successful Outlook, by Orientate)
Sparrow Castle

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak
Travers winner V. E. Day, who last raced in France, has been retired and will return to the U.S. to stand for $6,500 in 2017 at Waldorf Farm
BlindLucky

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Starine wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Protonica has been retired to Taylor Made, giving that farm another stallion who raced through his fifth year.
I always liked Wild Spirit... so I hope he does well. The only photos I saw of him were him running so I'd love to see how handsome he is standing.
They could have named Protonico "Wild Spirit", he's nuts. I've never seen him with more than two feet on the ground at one time :lol:

Heard a shoer say that he almost took a chunk out of his arm once.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Starine

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:50 pm

BlindLucky wrote:They could have named Protonico "Wild Spirit", he's nuts. I've never seen him with more than two feet on the ground at one time :lol:

Thanks for the anecdotes; he sounds like quite the character.
BlindLucky

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Starine wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:They could have named Protonico "Wild Spirit", he's nuts. I've never seen him with more than two feet on the ground at one time :lol:

Thanks for the anecdotes; he sounds like quite the character.
We were watching paddock schooling a year or so ago at Churchill a few days before the Derby, and there was this big, dark, gorgeous horse acting like a complete spaz. He was rearing, spinning in circles, kicking the stall walls, and just acting crazy in general. I have a big zoom lens, so I always take pictures and zoom in to read halter tags to see who is who. They had taken his halter off--no one ever takes halters off of schoolers--and just left the bridle on. I don't know if they thought it gave them more control, or if they didn't want anyone to know it was Protonico :lol:

He won the Alysheba the next day.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Starine

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Great story -- do you still have the photos?
Sparrow Castle

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Old Friends ‏@Oldfriendsfarm
Thank you to @salleehorsevans for bringing CHARISMATIC safely home!
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
Rockridge Stud, near Hudson N.Y., announced Dec. 5 that its star stallion Posse will not return to the U.S. in 2017.

Posse (Silver Deputy—Raska by Rahy) was purchased earlier this fall by Haras Rapetti in Uruguay, where the stallion is currently standing for the Southern Hemisphere breeding season along with Honour and Glory and Midas Touch. Attempts were made to bring the stallion back to New York for the 2017 breeding season; however, the parties could not come to terms.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... urn-to-u-s
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:28 pm

That brings up an uncomfortable question: Even though some sales of American stallions abroad supposedly have clauses that allow buyback, or something like that, what happens if Korea or Turkey (or whatever country is standing the horse) refuses to 'come to terms,' or agree to any price for that buyback? :?
Point Given

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
Rockridge Stud, near Hudson N.Y., announced Dec. 5 that its star stallion Posse will not return to the U.S. in 2017.

Posse (Silver Deputy—Raska by Rahy) was purchased earlier this fall by Haras Rapetti in Uruguay, where the stallion is currently standing for the Southern Hemisphere breeding season along with Honour and Glory and Midas Touch. Attempts were made to bring the stallion back to New York for the 2017 breeding season; however, the parties could not come to terms.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... urn-to-u-s
Posse was just purchased a few months ago and they are already trying to get him back to continue shuttling? Sounds like they regret selling him.

I couldn't even find an article when he was purchased this year. Just this one about shuttling to Uruguay:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... to-uruguay
Miss Woodford

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That brings up an uncomfortable question: Even though some sales of American stallions abroad supposedly have clauses that allow buyback, or something like that, what happens if Korea or Turkey (or whatever country is standing the horse) refuses to 'come to terms,' or agree to any price for that buyback? :?
Then they'll live out their lives in their new home country. The slaughter fearmongering here is really absurd.