Stallion News

mariasmon

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:27 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Reassessing Tourist with the correct G1 wins, I still think $12,500 is modest. Do I think his fee should be higher than Runhappy? No...but then I still think $50,000 is a big ask for a colt who had only one good year. :P
Yep, it was good enough to earn a sprinter Eclipse, and there is no doubt the colt was brilliant when he was right. That speed will no doubt draw breeders looking for that brilliance, but....
Weighing the differences between Tourist and Runhappy, IMHO the Tiznow horse has some things going for him that 'Happy doesn't.
*Tourist (to the best of my knowledge) is a sound horse. Runhappy isn't.
*T raced through his 5th year. RH couldn't even win a race this year.
*Tiznow has sired horses who have been good runners and decent sires, while I don't believe Super Saver has shown the ability to do so. Has he sired ANY horse remotely as good as Runhappy? Tourist may have a more reliable pedigree.
*And, as has been pointed out, the Tiznow line leans toward dirt, although Tourist has shown they can run on grass, as well. I don't know that you should look at Tourist as only a turf sire.
Runhappy's fee is $25,000?
Sparrow Castle

Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:36 pm

DRFBreeding ‏@DRFBreeding
General Quarters, a G1W stallion sold to bloodstock agent Omer Aydin for $50k, and will be exported to Turkey. #KeeNov
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Runhappy's fee is $25,000?

Yes. $25,000, not $50,000.
Y'know, I think I'm just going to go back to bed, pull the covers over my head and stop posting until tomorrow...because I am totally failing in the whole get-the-facts-right thing. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Not This Time, the beautiful Giant's Causeway colt who ran a good second to Classic Empire in the BC Juvenile, has been retired. :(
Not This Time Retired Due to Injury
Leading 2-year-old colt Not This Time has been retired from racing after a brilliant runner-up performance in the Nov. 5 Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park with a career-ending soft tissue injury to his right front leg.
Taylor Made Stallions has acquired 50% of the son of Giant's Causeway—Miss Macy Sue, by Trippie, from owner and breeder Albaugh Family Stable, and will stand the colt at its farm near Nicholasville, Ky., for $15,000 stands and nurses.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... -to-injury
mariasmon

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:01 pm

"Trippie" :lol: :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:22 pm

mariasmon wrote:"Trippie" :lol: :lol:
I got a chuckle out of that too. :lol:
mariasmon

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:11 pm

Apparently, War Correspondent is going to be standing for $5k at Calumet. He is a SW/G1P full brother to Declaration of War.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-regi ... respondent
Ziggypop

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Take Charge Indy sold to Korea. I am heartbroken. I was hoping to see him on my next trip to KY. :cry:
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:06 pm

That's a little shocking. It doesn't seem like he was even given enough time to show what his offspring could do.
TVG had been running his ads up until recently, and IMHO his pedigree it as good as it gets.
Korea is acquiring US stallions as though we're running our stallion farms like a Black Friday sale. :(
Ziggypop

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 pm

[quote="BaroqueAgain1"]That's a little shocking. It doesn't seem like he was even given enough time to show what his offspring could do.
TVG had been running his ads up until recently, and IMHO his pedigree it as good as it gets.
Korea is acquiring US stallions as though we're running our stallion farms like a Black Friday sale. :([/quot

It is distressing to watch. I have pretty much stopped following the industry, for the second time in my life, as it is too depressing. Everyone sucking up to China and Korea is making me ill. I have already been through that in another industry and so far, no good has come of it.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:36 pm

Here's an article with a few details.

Take Charge Indy Sold to Korea
Take Charge Indy (A. P. Indy–Take Charge Lady, by Dehere), front-running winner of the 2012 GI Florida Derby, has been purchased from WinStar Farm by the Korean Racing Authority and will enter stud at Jeju Stud Farm in South Korea in 2017. The deal includes the option for WinStar to buy back the stallion in the future. Take Charge Indy stood the most recent breeding season for $15,000.

“Selling Take Charge Indy was one of the toughest decisions I’ve had to make in my time as a syndicate manager, but, ultimately, we have to blend the passion we have for our horses with business principles for our shareholders,” said Elliott Walden, WinStar President & CEO. “Sometimes, difficult decisions like this arise for that philosophy. The KRA has had strong interest in the horse, and they simply made an offer that was too good to turn down. Take Charge Indy is a great-looking son of A.P. Indy, and he’s been given a terrific shot, with three large WinStar crops in the pipeline. We wish the KRA the best of luck with him, and the good news is we have the option to bring him back to America in the future.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ta ... -to-korea/
Sparrow Castle

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:15 pm

I think this article is interesting and touches on some things that have been discussed on this board recently.

Letter: stallions being judged too early
Breeder, bloodstock agent and journalist Sue Cameron from Melton Mowbray writes to warn against making judgements about stallions too early in their stud career

I'M SURE there are many breeders who will concur with Peter Stanley's lament over the sale of such useful sires as Champs Elysees and Mount Nelson. It is just another indication of the direction the industry is taking, to the long-term detriment of the breed.
"Breeding solely for speed is a recipe for disaster"
PICTURE: Edward Whitaker
http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 98587/top/
CoronadosQuest

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Ugh, I am so sad about TCI :(
Northport

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 pm

How often does a major stallion standing for "Private" mean that he is literally a private stallion for only his owner and owner's family? That was the case with Shamardal in 2016 - of the 109 mares he covered, 108 were owned by members of the Maktoum family :shock:
Of the 109, 67 were owned by Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin operation; 26 to Rabbah Bloodstock, a group of the sheikh's extended family and associates; 13 to Shadwell, the outfit of his brother Hamdan Al Maktoum. One was sent by Postponed's owner Sheikh Mohammed Obaid, a cousin of Sheikh Mohammed, and another came from Hadi Al Tajir, whose horses have been sold on as part of Shadwell drafts in the past.
Thought that was kind of interesting. You see horses like Galileo and Fastnet Rock as "Private" aka very very very expensive, or American Pharoah and Giant's Causeway aka an unadvertised drop in fee, but rarely is a high profile stallion private as in turning down 99% of mares/breeders that would have applied for a season.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 98145/top/
weeeeeeeee
sweettalk

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 pm

goof thing we retire the colts so fast, gotta keep up with the ones we sell off, i guess :?

if he started breeding in '14, first crop landed in '15, his first crop hasn't even been broken yet...? was he throwing 3 legged, 1 lung mutants or something??
Izvestia

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:03 am

WinStar sucks. I hate how they do things.
I know someone with a VERY nice looking Take Charge Indy, like eye-popping. So, that's my only experience with them.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:52 am

The fact that his sale apparently has the stipulation that he can be bought back and returned here gives me hope. If his offspring run to his looks and pedigree, we may get to see him back in the States before too long.
That is, of course, a big 'IF.'
Treve

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:54 am

Izvestia wrote:WinStar sucks. I hate how they do things.
I know someone with a VERY nice looking Take Charge Indy, like eye-popping. So, that's my only experience with them.
His yearlings were poorly received by the buying public though, judging by the KEESEPT sale.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Izvestia

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:09 am

The other thing to keep in mind if that he wasn't a precocious horse, and it's likely his get won't be either. If they don't come out running like the Uncle Mo's for example, it doesn't mean they won't be a good sire.
Treve

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:15 am

Ziggypop wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's a little shocking. It doesn't seem like he was even given enough time to show what his offspring could do.
Korea is acquiring US stallions as though we're running our stallion farms like a Black Friday sale. :(
It is distressing to watch. I have pretty much stopped following the industry, for the second time in my life, as it is too depressing. Everyone sucking up to China and Korea is making me ill. I have already been through that in another industry and so far, no good has come of it.
Isn't this a little dramatic? It's a business, pretty sure no one is sucking up to them, they come here with buckets of money that North Americans are unable or unwilling to compete with. If your farm is a business not a hobby and operates purely with business in mind - not with decades or centuries of horse sense behind it and long term breeding practices in mind - then it would seem illogical to not sell a stallion that you can get more for during a private treaty than in stud fees. Plus South Korea has Dirt racing, rather than turf so it makes sense they would come to North America for dirt horses. The criticism of WinStar's model is legitimate, but let's not get hyperbolic.

Do I think it is a shame to invest in the business rather than in the breed? Yes, absolutely. But things could get interesting over the next year, with the KD move to expand Japanese Dirt racing and create point races for the KD, South Koreans may eventually want to send their 2yos to Japan once they reach a level of bloodstock being able to compete, which may eventually come back to the US in one way or another. The problem is right now we do not have people willing or able to play the long game and invest into bloodstock as part of an overall long term vision for the breed.

Besides if there is a buy-back option I don't think it is entirely unreasonable.
Izvestia wrote:The other thing to keep in mind if that he wasn't a precocious horse, and it's likely his get won't be either. If they don't come out running like the Uncle Mo's for example, it doesn't mean they won't be a good sire.
Yes, I agree. I wonder if that might have been one of the turn-offs for buyers, I don't remember what most of the yearlings actually looked like, and I doubt they all vetted poorly. But desiring precociousness is just an other aspect that ties in to my above commentary... about people investing in a quick ROI business, rather than investing in a hobby or in the breed with a long term vision (hence a partial reason for the shortening of our "stayer" distances (lol)).
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder