Stallion News

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Does that count include mares he bred on Southern Hemisphere time?
Treve

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:42 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Does that count include mares he bred on Southern Hemisphere time?
It wouldn't make sense to include them in that number especially since the Southern Hemisphere breeding season isn't over yet (in fact it has barely started if I'm not mistaken?) which means numbers aren't reported. I also haven't heard anywhere that he was going to see any mares during Southern Hemisphere time, was he supposed to?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:42 am

Bloodhorse featured a throwback article about the 1986 Malboro and one thing leading to an other... I discovered that the great Turkoman is still kicking at 34 years of age. If that is still current and up to date, that's really quite amazing.
I am at work now so can't email but can anyone else confirm?
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Mel Mae

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:34 am

Treve wrote:Bloodhorse featured a throwback article about the 1986 Malboro and one thing leading to an other... I discovered that the great Turkoman is still kicking at 34 years of age. If that is still current and up to date, that's really quite amazing.
As of about a month ago, he was still alive and enjoying life.
Treve

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:32 am

Mel Mae wrote:
Treve wrote:Bloodhorse featured a throwback article about the 1986 Malboro and one thing leading to an other... I discovered that the great Turkoman is still kicking at 34 years of age. If that is still current and up to date, that's really quite amazing.
As of about a month ago, he was still alive and enjoying life.
Confirmed by Our Mims... What a delight to read. Can't help but to include this link with pictures from 2013... Ears pricked, bright-eyed and prancing. Makes the heart smile.
http://www.drf.com/blogs/turkoman-visiting-old-friend
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Discreet Cat to stand in Japan
Discreet Cat, winner of the famous G1 Cigar Mile and already the sire of six G1 horses (three of whom have won at the highest level), will stand as a Darley stallion in Japan for the forthcoming breeding season.
https://www.darley.co.jp/news/discreet-cat-stand-japan

His Bloodhorse stallion page:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-regi ... screet-cat
Discreet Cat Colt Speedy in Keeneland Unveiling
9th-KEE, $59,946, Msw, 10-20, 3yo/up, 6 1/2f, 1:17.56, gd.
+BETHEL WILDCAT (c, 3, Discreet Cat–Excess’s Best, by In Excess {Ire}) fired a four-panel bullet from the gate here in :46.40 Oct. 14, and was given a 3-1 chance to show that zip in the afternoon. Quickly emerging with the lead without having to work very hard for it, the bay cruised through a half in :45.56 and was still moving strongly turning for home. Kept to task with some left-handed encouragement, he continued on powerfully to the wire to don cap and gown by 3 1/2 lengths. Seat of Honor (Tapit) rallied from last for second. Florida-based shipper Muzzy on the Move (Ready’s Image), who took the bulk of tote action, showed brief interest out wide before fading to last. The winner is a half to Tales in Excess (Tale of the Cat), SW, $122,750; a year-younger full-brother who brought $20,000 recently at Keeneland September; and a weanling filly by Shackleford. His dam was bred back to Fed Biz. Sales history: $9,000 RNA Ylg ’14 KEESEP. Lifetime Record: 1-1-0-0, $36,000. Click for the Equibase.com chart or VIDEO, sponsored by Fasig-Tipton.
O-Brownstead Farm; B-Stuart E. Brown (KY); T-H. Graham Motion.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/di ... q8.twitter
Izvestia

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:01 am

Turkoman - what a handsome and elegant Thoroughbred. I love his slightly Roman nose. Just a stunning horse!
Northport

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:59 am

Retiring perfectly sound two year olds seems to be a trend in England. This year's G1 Middle Park Stakes winner The Last Lion has been purchased by Godolphin and will stand at their Irish base in 2016. Too bad for the trainer

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... d/2178522/
weeeeeeeee
Insane Crazy

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:01 am

Northport wrote:Retiring perfectly sound two year olds seems to be a trend in England. This year's G1 Middle Park Stakes winner The Last Lion has been purchased by Godolphin and will stand at their Irish base in 2016. Too bad for the trainer

That seriously blows. This is totally absurd, imo.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Mel Mae

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:12 am

Uncle Mo bred 253 mares this year during the northern hemisphere season. He must have loved it when he didn't hear trailers pulling up to the shed anymore.
Treve

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Mel Mae wrote:Uncle Mo bred 253 mares this year during the northern hemisphere season. He must have loved it when he didn't hear trailers pulling up to the shed anymore.
He does not share War Emblem's preferences that is for sure :lol:

Into Mischief 218, American Pharoah 208 and Kitten's Joy 201 round up the top 4. Those tied for fifth were below 200. (190)
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ed-numbers
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:54 pm

The Last Lion is joining the also-retired-too-soon Mehmas at Darley's Kildangan Stud. :roll:
At least The Last Lion has proven he's a sound and consistent horse, finishing in the money in ten starts this year. I've seen three-year-olds retired with only ten starts in two seasons.
Treve

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Northport wrote:Retiring perfectly sound two year olds seems to be a trend in England. This year's G1 Middle Park Stakes winner The Last Lion has been purchased by Godolphin and will stand at their Irish base in 2016. Too bad for the trainer

That seriously blows. This is totally absurd, imo.
x2, nononono no I do not like! I don't want to see this become a trend ugh.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Mel Mae

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Treve wrote:
Mel Mae wrote:Uncle Mo bred 253 mares this year during the northern hemisphere season. He must have loved it when he didn't hear trailers pulling up to the shed anymore.
He does not share War Emblem's preferences that is for sure :lol:

Into Mischief 218, American Pharoah 208 and Kitten's Joy 201 round up the top 4. Those tied for fifth were below 200. (190)
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... ed-numbers
I have a feeling Coolmore wouldn't be as accommodating as the Japanese were in a War Emblem situation. That stallion probably wouldn't even have time to get comfortable in his stall.
bare it all

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Report of Mares Bred is out...
Dueling full brothers in NY -- Al Khali saw 11 and Japan saw 61.

Can the Man got 133 mares. :shock:

Curlin to Mischief - the unraced half to Beholder and Into Mischief by Curlin (obvs...) got 41 mares.

Danza got 129. Daredevil got 123.

Einstein got 65 out in Cali. Glad to see that - he's a lovely horse.

Personal fave Euroears is doing well in OK. He saw 48.

Formal Gold - who I didn't realize was still alive - is in Canada and saw 3 mares.

Gio Ponti only saw 21. Ugh.

Hap - another didn't realize he was alive... saw 3 in IN

Mission Impazible saw 96 in NY. He gets a nice runner and it well placed in NY

Outflanker saw 14. Good old boy still getting it done.

Risque Remarque - 10 in KY... is he still there?

Smarty Jones - 51!

Soul of the Matter - that's a name I had forgotten! 1 mare in MT

Weigelia - wow, remember him? Hard knocking horse back in the early 2000s. 28 mares in PA
Treve

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:11 pm

China Horse Club buys into California Chrome
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nia-chrome

Is it me or has this year been particularly aggressive for CHC in acquiring hot commodity Bloodstock?
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BlindLucky

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Treve wrote:China Horse Club buys into California Chrome
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nia-chrome

Is it me or has this year been particularly aggressive for CHC in acquiring hot commodity Bloodstock?
I'm quite enjoying the Facebook comments asking about whether he will be shipped to China now :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Starine

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Soul of the Matter? Wow, I didn't know he was still around; much less breeding.

I'm surprised Gio Ponti only saw 21. Obviously he is thought of as a turf sire but with winners of the King's Bishop and Queen's Plate on dirt and synthetic one would hope he would see an increase next year.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:23 pm

Personal fave Euroears is doing well in OK. He saw 48.

The Euroears are runners. Remington is holding a card of Oklahoma-bred stakes tonight, and the Juvenile Sprint had sons of his run first and second.
Mel Mae

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:54 am

Starine wrote: I'm surprised Gio Ponti only saw 21. Obviously he is thought of as a turf sire but with winners of the King's Bishop and Queen's Plate on dirt and synthetic one would hope he would see an increase next year.
If he he has another big performance or two, I could see him doing a similar comeback to Curlin. Curlin only got 51 mares in 2013 in a similar situation where his runners weren't doing great on the track then he got a few big ones that summer (Palace Malice for example) and jumped back up. The Belmont holds more weight than the Queen's Plate but the King's Bishop should have really grabbed peoples' attention.