horses with unique coloring/facial markings

tachyon

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:38 am

Treve wrote:
tachyon wrote:-- replay (youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIeTse7xDtA
I like that he responded to the urging. Encouraging debut! I love the concept of "Newcomer" races btw.
''Newcomer races'', with higher purses than other maiden races, are the focus of fans attention in every JRA racecards. ;)
Insane Crazy

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:45 am

tachyon wrote:
Treve wrote:
tachyon wrote:-- replay (youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIeTse7xDtA
I like that he responded to the urging. Encouraging debut! I love the concept of "Newcomer" races btw.
''Newcomer races'', with higher purses than other maiden races, are the focus of fans attention in every JRA racecards. ;)
Is the purse the only difference between newcomer and maiden races? I tried to find a definition of this particular category and came up short. I'm curious!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
tachyon

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:41 am

Insane Crazy wrote: Is the purse the only difference between newcomer and maiden races? I tried to find a definition of this particular category and came up short. I'm curious!
To be eligible for a ''Newcomer'' race, you have to be a first-timer (a horse starting for the first time).
So, Shironii will not run in a ''Newcomer'' but in a ''Maiden'' next time out.
Insane Crazy

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:52 am

tachyon wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote: Is the purse the only difference between newcomer and maiden races? I tried to find a definition of this particular category and came up short. I'm curious!
To be eligible for a ''Newcomer'' race, you have to be a first-timer (a horse starting for the first time).
Oh! That's really neat. Thanks for the explanation -- I thought it may be something like that, but I'm a dope. :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Treve

Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
tachyon wrote:
Oh! That's really neat. Thanks for the explanation -- I thought it may be something like that, but I'm a dope. :D
If you go to Japan in Champion Jockey, they have this category in-game :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
bare it all

Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:12 pm

Aww crapola. I was going to post a pic of hip 3598 from the Keeneland sale. High whites on all 4 legs, nice big blaze and flaxen mane and tail!! Keep getting that the board has reached it's upload capacity though :cry:
Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Hmm...these posted okay. Maybe someone fixed it. By Twinspired out of Art's Sugar by Louis Quatorze, she was an RNA at $9,000.

Joe Nevills ‏@DRFNevills
Check out the unique marking on Hip 3573, a 1st-crop Twinspired filly. #KeeSept
bare it all

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:28 am

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Is what I get :(
BlindLucky

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:54 pm

bare it all wrote:Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Host it somewhere else and post it here, that way V doesn't get charged storage overage fees--unless the cap is what keeps that in check.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
shortlead

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 pm

A gray with a bay patch? Maybe a chimera?
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:44 am

I wonder if the wild marking is the result of a broad white blaze that's leaving an 'eye hole' of the filly's base color. It looks like she could have originally been chestnut, now greying out, and the area on her face is the last to lighten?
Rainyday

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:27 pm

My guess is a somnatic mutation--basically it's a patch where her grey gene is 'switched off', and tends to be the first thing I think of when I see a horse with a single random patch of another colour.

It's possible it could just be funky greying. A bit weird, in that most horses tend to grey head-first (and, in general, most I've seen tend to have their facial white quickly blend into the grey), but not all. There are no absolute rules to the greying process I know of, and the transitional stages sometimes look really weird.

Chimerism is possible, but it's not my top suspect--it's fairly rare, and most examples I've seen have had a lot more of the other colour on them, either in patches or brindle. Of course, it's possible those were just the horses that were so obvious they were tested and confirmed chimera and there are more subtle ones lurking!
Delamont

Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:48 pm

'Bloody shoulder' mark like the race mare Charmander....except it's on this one's face.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:26 am

bare it all wrote:Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

I use Photobucket to upload my photos and then copy the image address to post the pictures here. There are other sites too but this works pretty well for me and it's free.
http://photobucket.com/
tachyon

Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 pm

Shironii(JPN), 2014 wh C. King Kamehameha(JPN) x Shirayukihime(JPN) by Sunday Silence(USA), broke his maiden at second asking in Hanshin 1R 1800m dirt on Oct 1st 2016. :D

replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVHdsaMUI0

chart
http://umanity.jp/en/racedata/race_21.p ... 0109040701
lurkey mclurker

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Very strong performance, IMO. He held them off under a hand-ride through most of the stretch and then drew away after a few taps of the stick. Post number 13 wasn't unlucky for Shironii! :mrgreen:
Treve

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:19 am

tachyon wrote:Shironii(JPN), 2014 wh C. King Kamehameha(JPN) x Shirayukihime(JPN) by Sunday Silence(USA), broke his maiden at second asking in Hanshin 1R 1800m dirt on Oct 1st 2016. :D

replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVHdsaMUI0

chart
http://umanity.jp/en/racedata/race_21.p ... 0109040701
Wonderful! I knew his debut was encouraging and had a feeling he'd improve off that effort!
I love love, the way he had one ear pricked forward down the stretch while he kept wiggling the other back to front, as if checking on his jockey for instructions, or listening to the horses behind him. That's sign of a focused yet responsive/attentive horse.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Sparrow Castle

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:30 am

Wonderful win for Shironii! He sure is easy to pick out in the race.

Miss Vista, the splash white, finished 3rd in her race at Caulfield today. Haven't found a replay but in Googling for the results (grrr, TVG didn't show it), I found a Facebook page with more photos of her.
https://www.facebook.com/racingalong/
Treve

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:57 am

Talismanic (GB)
Has four white socks and a wide blaze, and based on this Arc telecast he even has a belly spot! Can't find a good picture, I may just put a screencap.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Point Given

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Treve wrote:Talismanic (GB)
Has four white socks and a wide blaze, and based on this Arc telecast he even has a belly spot! Can't find a good picture, I may just put a screencap.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/me ... on-return/

He is beautiful with all that chrome!