Stallion News

bare it all

Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Mel Mae wrote:
bare it all wrote:
Old Bones wrote:Ticket sales for the Coolmore tour Oct-Dec go on sale this Wednesday at noon:
https://visithorsecountry.com/farms/188 ... 8256#tours
Thanks OB :) Hoping to make a little daytrip to go see this animal in the flesh. Has anyone else been? I've not toured Coolmore before, but I know in the past they had a bit of a bad rap. Wondered if that changed. Also, who else do they tend to pull out? Along with Giants Causeway, I've been a Tale of the Cat fan for a long time and I'd love to see Uncle Mo again (saw him before his BD Juvie blowout).
I've been twice. They pull out Pharoah and Thunder Gulch but let you wander the front barns (supervised) to see the other stallions. Tale of the Cat is in the back barn so you don't see him but you see Giant's Causeway, Munnings, Declaration of War, Shanghai Bobby, Lookin at Lucky and Mo in addition to the two they pull out (as long as they haven't moved them). I never went on their old tour so I don't know how it compares but it's very well done. I've had two different guides and both were entertaining. It's worth however much it is ($20, I think) even if you just want to see Pharoah because they bring him out for quite a while.
Ah boo about Tale of the Cat, but definitely excited for the rest and Pharoah. I'm likely buying a single ticket and making the trip by myself from Atlanta while my husband is in charge of the kids for the day. If anyone wants to join I'd be happy to have some TBC company!
Northport

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 pm

Bobby's Kitten has retired and will stand at Lanwades Stud in Newmarket in 2017
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:16 am

Mehmas to Tally-Ho Stud in 2017.

A current 2yo is being retired to stud next year at 3. There is nothing wrong with him. He is scheduled to make his final career start on 9/24 in the Middle Park Stakes(G1).
BlindLucky

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:04 am

Flanders wrote:Mehmas to Tally-Ho Stud in 2017.

A current 2yo is being retired to stud next year at 3. There is nothing wrong with him. He is scheduled to make his final career start on 9/24 in the Middle Park Stakes(G1).
Wow, and we were bitching about rushing a 3-yr-old to stud :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Treve

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:34 am

BlindLucky wrote:

The face I'm making right now... I just can't wrap my head around this.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
bare it all

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Treve wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:

The face I'm making right now... I just can't wrap my head around this.
I have to imagine there's something about him they're having problems managing in a racing career, right?
Ioya Two

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:52 pm

Well, I don't agree with it but he'll have made eight starts by the time he's done. More than some three and four year olds lol. Two year old fillies being covered is just as bad. Completely off topic but coolmore retiring all their 3yos irritates me as well.
Pulpit 1994-2012
Treve

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Ioya Two wrote:Well, I don't agree with it but he'll have made eight starts by the time he's done. More than some three and four year olds lol. Two year old fillies being covered is just as bad. Completely off topic but coolmore retiring all their 3yos irritates me as well.
I suppose that makes it somewhat better but if I were a mare owner I'd want to know how he performed at 3 and 4 or older. As a mare owner I want to know - was he just precociously brilliant as a 2yo, but then would tank at 3?
I mean there's got to be some benefit to showcasing durability and not peaking too early. I realize a lot of buyers WANT to have runners who can hit the track at 2 and start returning on their investment, but wouldn't you also want to maximize that as a buyer by having a horse who can run for a long time too? Idk maybe that's just me :oops:
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Mel Mae

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 pm

That's extremely disappointing. I thought he could be a real force on the classic trail next year.
Northport

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:44 pm

Al Shaqab has done this in the past as well with another seemingly sound 2 year old - Gutaifan

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 6/1975159/
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:54 pm

I just hope this stupidity doesn't make it to the US. I dislike when 3yos are retired to stud. Plus we are finally starting to see a couple horses stay in training as older horses.

To me, if someone retires a healthy, sound 2yo to stud, that means they are saying, "He is over the top, his form is coming down, he isn't going to be able to beat anyone." Why would a breeder send a mare?
Treve

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:57 pm

Flanders wrote:I just hope this stupidity doesn't make it to the US. I dislike when 3yos are retired to stud. Plus we are finally starting to see a couple horses stay in training as older horses.

To me, if someone retires a healthy, sound 2yo to stud, that means they are saying, "He is over the top, his form is coming down, he isn't going to be able to beat anyone." Why would a breeder send a mare?
MTE. I get people want precocious 2yos to make money at the sales... but there's a reason 'durability' is a selling point and 'one hit wonder' isn't.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Somnambulist

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Probably need more money from breeding so they can step on people of a lower caste.

I couldn't dislike a set of connections more.
tachyon

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:26 am

Rulership(JPN), 2007H. King Kamehameha(JPN) x Air Groove(JPN) by Tony Bin(IRE), covered 280 mares -- record number in Japan-- in 2016.

standing at Shadai Stallion Station

http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001042049/
Admin

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 am

Treve wrote:
Ioya Two wrote:Well, I don't agree with it but he'll have made eight starts by the time he's done. More than some three and four year olds lol. Two year old fillies being covered is just as bad. Completely off topic but coolmore retiring all their 3yos irritates me as well.
I suppose that makes it somewhat better but if I were a mare owner I'd want to know how he performed at 3 and 4 or older. As a mare owner I want to know - was he just precociously brilliant as a 2yo, but then would tank at 3?
I mean there's got to be some benefit to showcasing durability and not peaking too early. I realize a lot of buyers WANT to have runners who can hit the track at 2 and start returning on their investment, but wouldn't you also want to maximize that as a buyer by having a horse who can run for a long time too? Idk maybe that's just me :oops:
It's interesting that they're retiring despite winning just a single G2. I'd have to believe something is wrong with him or otherwise the public isn't being given the truth behind why he's retiring.

Is there really a big market for a G2-winning 2yo? Good luck to them but I wouldn't be interested.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
mariasmon

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:11 am

Admin wrote: Is there really a big market for a G2-winning 2yo? Good luck to them but I wouldn't be interested.
Kantharos says yes.
Admin

Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:34 am

mariasmon wrote:
Admin wrote: Is there really a big market for a G2-winning 2yo? Good luck to them but I wouldn't be interested.
Kantharos says yes.
??

He entered stud in Florida, and stood this year for $5,000. I don't really remember his racetrack exploits, but don't recall him retiring at 2 either (and of course, not to much demand when he did).

As for him moving to KY, it appears to be as a favor to the owner, similar to them standing her maiden winner.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
mariasmon

Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Admin wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
Kantharos says yes.
??

He entered stud in Florida, and stood this year for $5,000. I don't really remember his racetrack exploits, but don't recall him retiring at 2 either (and of course, not to much demand when he did).

As for him moving to KY, it appears to be as a favor to the owner, similar to them standing her maiden winner.
He bred 115 mares in FL in 2015 and I would guess he got as many or more this year. He's the #2 sire in FL behind the deceased Wildcat Heir. I don't think there was any need to move him to KY unless they thought there would be enough demand for him. He retired in August of his 2YO year with an injury.
Izvestia

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:33 pm

If people didn't breed to them, then maybe they wouldn't do this. They are not in the racing industry, they are in the breeding industry. Very different worlds, apparently.
Unless the horse is a cripple and can't stay sound, what really IS the point? Oh wait, I guess a lot of these precocious 2-year-olds don't train on at 3 (or 4), so rather than have them disappear from the headlines, this is probably the best way to ensure interest remains in the horse. Essentially they will produce something precocious like themselves that cannot train on.
Mel Mae

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:07 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Admin wrote: ??

He bred 115 mares in FL in 2015 and I would guess he got as many or more this year. He's the #2 sire in FL behind the deceased Wildcat Heir. I don't think there was any need to move him to KY unless they thought there would be enough demand for him. He retired in August of his 2YO year with an injury.
With the amount of Florida breeders I've seen lament his move (and the Kentucky breeders who are excited about it), I don't think it's a favor to the owner. He seems like a legit stallion so I'm guessing this is more of Hill 'n' Dale capitalizing on their relationship with Stonestreet than Banke just wanting him closer because she's sending mares to him (she's been shipping mares to Florida since he retired to support him so his location in relation to her mares doesn't seem to be an issue to her).