Zenyatta News

The Doctors Saint

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:24 pm

Very sad news indeed for this little colt, his mom and all his short stay here touched.
Flute

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:27 pm

I totally admit that I'm superstitious, but I hope they never send Z back to War Front, they are 0-for-2 with him now! :cry:
islandgirl45

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Dammit. What awful news. The Mosses must be heartbroken, especially after losing Z's War Front filly as well. I know neither loss had anything to do with genetics, but perhaps try another stallion? Is Medaglia d'Oro a good cross with Z?
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Starine

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:47 pm

I think the "don't send her back to War Front" sentiment is nonsense. It's just bad luck and nothing more. Personally I thought her War Front filly was the best-looking foal she ever threw and I hope she visits him a third time.
Ruffian_fan

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Flute wrote:I totally admit that I'm superstitious, but I hope they never send Z back to War Front, they are 0-for-2 with him now! :cry:
I'm sorry, but really?!?!? Neither foal died because of genetic weaknesses from the cross, and War Front is a good match for her. This is just dumb.
Diver52

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:56 pm

I think even the posters that don't want her to go back to War Front realize that this position is "dumb" and "nonsense" but they don't need to be told so. Unless of course the critics NEVER even placed a bet on "Green Jacket" on St. Patrick's Day! I bet a lot of people are shaking their heads at the idea of going to War Front again. Doesn't mean that it's logical, or that she shouldn't go to him again--but its a natural reaction to the double whammy.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Treve

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:01 pm

luvsgeldings wrote: but I assume she knows her new little boy is gone..... you folks that know horses.... is this true?
If she was with him when he passed and if she is allowed to spend enough time with his body, then yes, she would know he's gone. It's generally recommended in fact if a foal passes to give the mare enough time to fully realise it. The breeder I worked for once had an experience where one of his best broodies (perfect mother, kind, gentle, nurturing - both towards her foals and people) lost a foal (stillborn iirc, or at any rate passed very close to birth). Vet told him to leave the foal for 2 days so that the mare could understand.

Of course breeder was a softie and couldn't stand it so he removed the foal too soon. Mare thought her foal was taken from her by humans and was basically traumatized. As a horse and as a broodie she changed completely. No longer displayed any real nurturing qualities, no longer went up to people for pets etc. She was never aggressive and never rejected subsequent foals but she didn't 'take care' of them in the way she used to, and she definitely wasn't interested in interacting with people anymore beyond feeding and turnout.

I have no idea what the process is like for racehorses though, given most of them are quickly hospitalised.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
islandgirl45

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Diver52 wrote:I think even the posters that don't want her to go back to War Front realize that this position is "dumb" and "nonsense" but they don't need to be told so. Unless of course the critics NEVER even placed a bet on "Green Jacket" on St. Patrick's Day! I bet a lot of people are shaking their heads at the idea of going to War Front again. Doesn't mean that it's logical, or that she shouldn't go to him again--but its a natural reaction to the double whammy.
Well put. Of course it's just bad luck, and it's not as if folks here are sounding some sort of genetic alarm if they decided to try War Front again. I suggested MDO, but don't know if it would be considered a good cross.
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:12 pm

This is so heartbreaking. Not much more can be said. Certainly neither death had to do with War Front, but yikes...what horrible luck. So sorry for the Mosses, the staff at Lane's End, and Z. Very glad Zenyatta seems to be okay.
sweettalk

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Starine wrote:I think the "don't send her back to War Front" sentiment is nonsense. It's just bad luck and nothing more. Personally I thought her War Front filly was the best-looking foal she ever threw and I hope she visits him a third time.
i would love to get another war front from her, myself. her filly was head turning, a real stunner. i understand people wondering aloud if the mosses will send her back or go to a different stallion (i'm obviously in that lot, myself, i've always excitedly awaited her breeding plans), but i'm not sure abt reaching any further than that.
Starine

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Diver52 wrote:I think even the posters that don't want her to go back to War Front realize that this position is "dumb" and "nonsense" but they don't need to be told so. Doesn't mean that it's logical, or that she shouldn't go to him again--but its a natural reaction to the double whammy.
It's one thing to say that it's rotten luck or an unusual coincidence; it's totally another to declare that she should never be bred to War Front again.
RuffiantoRags

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:06 pm

My condolences to the Moss's and all involved at Lanes End Farm and Rood & Riddle Hospital. You know that everything that could be done was done to save this little colt. There are a lot of heavy hearts in the horse racing world today,that's for sure.
Carotene

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:09 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:My condolences to the Moss's and all involved at Lanes End Farm and Rood & Riddle Hospital. You know that everything that could be done was done to save this little colt. There are a lot of heavy hearts in the horse racing world today,that's for sure.
Well said, and I echo the sentiments. RIP little fella.
:(

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
misha

Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:54 pm

This is just heartbreaking news. My condolences to the Mosses and the staff at the clinic and the people at Lane's End and most especially Zenyatta.
Retrospectiv

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Flanders wrote:
Ioya Two wrote:We were right. What do they do now? Wait for next year, then breed her in February or early March? Or send her back to the shed one more time this year, for a late baby next season?
They purposefully bred her late last year so I would imagine, since nothing is physically wrong with her, that they'd breed her and then not breed her next year.
Where did they ever say they purposely bred her late? She was an open mare last season, I always assumed she didn't get in foal on her first or second cover. Why would anyone purposely wait late with an open mare given how things can happen (ie: mares not taking, complications, etc)?
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
mariasmon

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Flanders wrote:
Ioya Two wrote:We were right. What do they do now? Wait for next year, then breed her in February or early March? Or send her back to the shed one more time this year, for a late baby next season?
They purposefully bred her late last year so I would imagine, since nothing is physically wrong with her, that they'd breed her and then not breed her next year.
Where did they ever say they purposely bred her late? She was an open mare last season, I always assumed she didn't get in foal on her first or second cover. Why would anyone purposely wait late with an open mare given how things can happen (ie: mares not taking, complications, etc)?
They didn't want her to foal January or February, from what I've heard.
carole

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:21 pm

How awful! Losing one is bad enough, losing 2 in a row and from the same cross is really devastating for the connections I imagine.

At least Zenyatta seems to be in good health so she can still have many more foals.

I do wish they sent her to someone else but not because of superstition (come on now, Zenyatta is not the first nor last mare to lose multiple foals from one cross) but because I think War Front has more commercial rather than racing value. If they want a racehorse out of her, they should send her to a speedier stallion.
carole

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:23 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Why would they not want her to foal then? Seems strange to me considering Zen herself was already a late developer.
mariasmon

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:27 pm

carole wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
Why would they not want her to foal then? Seems strange to me considering Zen herself was already a late developer.
I have no idea. Maybe it's the weather? Ann Moss is a Froot Loop, so who knows what she's thinking. I don't believe it matters when she foals. If the offspring were going to a sale, it might be different. All this business about not wanting to have a late foal is way overblown (IMHO).
bare it all

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:28 pm

carole wrote:
mariasmon wrote:
May not work with their vacation schedules? ;)