Zenyatta News

Delamont

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:33 pm

The site still won't open. I got an email from a friend, then came on TBC.

This is awful.
luvsgeldings

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:43 pm

TVG just reported this terribly sad news - I am brokenhearted for team zenyatta - and mostly for zenyatta - she didn't know her baby girl died in that paddock accident - but I assume she knows her new little boy is gone..... you folks that know horses.... is this true? that just makes me even more sad - I hate thinking she would be sad - all she ever did was make people happy - she is such a sweet gentle loving spirit - I hate thinking she would have sadness over losing her baby - this is just too awful - it was bad enough they lost that sweet little filly - and now this..... he was adorable too - just very sad.
Flanders

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Ioya Two wrote:We were right. What do they do now? Wait for next year, then breed her in February or early March? Or send her back to the shed one more time this year, for a late baby next season?
They purposefully bred her late last year so I would imagine, since nothing is physically wrong with her, that they'd breed her and then not breed her next year.
Rainyday

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Damnit :(
Diver52

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:50 pm

I was afraid that no news was not good news. I am so sorry for the Mosses, especially Ann. And for Z herself--almost wish they could find an orphan foal for her. :cry:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
luvsgeldings

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:54 pm

yes so sad for Ann - but mostly for zenyatta - she is always such a good mom.....
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:58 pm

That would be something...if Lane's End could find an orphan for Zenny to adopt. I don't know if farms ever try to use their top broodmares as nurse mares, but one would think that it would be good for both mare and foal.
sweettalk

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:01 pm

it was a (bad) sign that they were so hush hush abt the whole thing. wonder if they scrap her going to war front.

i don't know anything abt the vet side of breeding, so i have a question - can labour be safely induced in mares if it's decided to be necessary?
Macaroni

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:08 pm

sweettalk wrote:it was a (bad) sign that they were so hush hush abt the whole thing. wonder if they scrap her going to war front.

i don't know anything abt the vet side of breeding, so i have a question - can labour be safely induced in mares if it's decided to be necessary?
The only reason I'd see them scrapping War Front would be because they'd want to save the time to try her with someone else, but Z14's passing had nothing to do with genetics, birthing complications, etc. Just an accident. I do wonder what they'll decide to do from this point, though. So, so horrible.
Catalina

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:13 pm

sweettalk wrote:it was a (bad) sign that they were so hush hush abt the whole thing. wonder if they scrap her going to war front.

In women, inducing labor doesn't always succeed, and when it fails (which isn't that uncommon) you have to do a Cesarean section to get the baby out.
oldgraymare

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:18 pm

RIP little one. Unfortunately even the best run farms lose foals. You can do all the right things and it still happens. Being born is really, really hard and nature only allows the strongest to survive. Z will miss her boy for a few days, just like with weaning, and then life will go on for her.

She could be bred in foal heat very soon for another April foal. Wouldn't be a problem for her if she hasn't developed an infection from the staining issue. They might have her on antibiotics too and that could delay another breeding.
bare it all

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:20 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Just like in humans, it's usually better to let nature take its time. Babies come when they come and any sort of intervention increases the chances of complications.
bare it all

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:23 pm

Catalina wrote:

In women, inducing labor doesn't always succeed, and when it fails (which isn't that uncommon) you have to do a Cesarean section to get the baby out.
Exactly what happened for me. Induction because the baby was "late" and then the dominoes of complications began to occur. Meconium staining, fetal distress, exhaustion from prolonged labor and high risks of infections and I ended up with a nasty csection - but a healthy baby, thankfully. I'm adamant against inductions *that are not medically necessary* and would advise anyone (or any-animal) against such invasive practices.
Last edited by bare it all on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambulist

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:28 pm

My mom probably would have died, along with myself, if they didn't induce. Soo that's probably best left to your doctor.
bare it all

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Somnambulist wrote:My mom probably would have died, along with myself, if they didn't induce. Soo that's probably best left to your doctor.
Edited my thought so as not to turn it into a mommy-wars baby-board sort of post. :twisted: Some inductions are deemed medically necessary. "Going over due date" would not imply medical necessity (in most cases). And yes, decisions should always be made with your doctor's input and support. ;)
BornToWin

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:39 pm

This is heartbreaking. Such a loss. Life so fragile.

My deepest sympathies to the Mosses, the caretakers, and the medical team.
sweettalk

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:39 pm

bare it all wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:My mom probably would have died, along with myself, if they didn't induce. Soo that's probably best left to your doctor.
Edited my thought so as not to turn it into a mommy-wars baby-board sort of post. :twisted: Some inductions are deemed medically necessary. "Going over due date" would not imply medical necessity (in most cases). And yes, decisions should always be made with your doctor's input and support. ;)
oh, i wasn't trying to imply i thought that, i had a long train of thought that ended with "can mares even be induced safely if it was needed?" sorry :oops:
tranquilo

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:09 pm

sweettalk wrote:
bare it all wrote:
oh, i wasn't trying to imply i thought that, i had a long train of thought that ended with "can mares even be induced safely if it was needed?" sorry :oops:
I've heard of inducing mares in an emergency situation, but I don't think it's something that happens very often. Too much risk of having a premature foal, a foal that isn't in the right position for birth, etc.

So sad for Z and the Mosses. :( Obviously what happened to both babies had nothing to do with War Front, but I would be feeling superstitious about that cross now.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:10 pm

Such awful news. I really feel bad for her, she's always such a dotting mother. And also so bad for the Mosses. :(

I'm sure it's not common practice, but maybe they can find an orphaned lil one for her she can take care of.
No 1 Cares

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:15 pm

so incredibly sad, ann must be heartbroken. he was a cute little guy and i was holding my breath that he would be okay. i had a family member battle aspirated pneumonia and sepsis so i was worried for him. RIP little one.