Stallion News

Squally

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:23 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:American Pharaoh has his first breeding session on February 12th.

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_ ... ng-session
Wow, that is from ESPN, huh? They fired all their racing writers and columnists and replaced them and THAT is the article they get? They must have people who aren't actually interested in the sport writing their articles now.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 am

MAST TRACK, ALPHA BETTOR RELOCATING TO CALIFORNIA
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/blood ... alifornia/
Starine

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:51 am

Gainesway tries old formula with new stallion Karakontie
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... w-stallion
tachyon

Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:27 am

Starine wrote:Gainesway tries old formula with new stallion Karakontie
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... w-stallion
It looks like he is bred to be a star stallion. :D
tachyon

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:29 am

Henny Hughes(USA) sired his second G1 winner in Japan, when his 4yo colt Moanin(USA)(NY)[o/o Giggly(USA) by Distorted Humor(USA)] won for the sixth time in seven career outings, establishing a new Tokyo track record in taking out the G1 February Stakes 1600m dirt on Fev 21st 2016.
Asia Express(USA) won in the G1 Asahi Hai Futurity Stakes on turf to become the 2yo champion colt in 2013.

Moanin(USA)
7-6-1-0
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001193277/

-- replay (English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNkkc2b2GnU
1st. #14 Moanin(USA) (Henny Hughes) C4
2nd. #7 Nonkono Yume(JPN) (Twining) C4
3rd. #4 Asukano Roman(JPN) (Agnes Digital) H5

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ny ... ebruary-s/

Six Henny Hughes offspring have been imported to JRA so far, all winners, four graded winners including two G1 winners.
Wow, Henny Hughes is going to be a super stallion here!!
His Japanese babies will make their debuts next year.
Can't wait!!!
Last edited by tachyon on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariasmon

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:43 am

Henny is definitely standing in the right place now.
tachyon

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:56 am

Henny Hughes is already fully booked for this season.

at Yushun Stallion Station, Feb 22th 2016
Izvestia

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:48 am

I am glad Henny Hughes has gone on to success elsewhere, especially somewhere high profile like Japan. He was a class racehorse, and he has turned out to be a very useful sire. I love seeing Meadowlake in a pedigree too.
Is his initial popularity in Japan from the fact he is the sire of Beholder? Or was he having successful runners there beforehand? Anyone know?

I saw him at the BC in 2005, and he was super cute. He still looks fantastic, and is still a cute little guy.
Horsebagger

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:14 am

Anybody else agree that Candy Ride might arguably be the best value sire out there at the moment? He keeps throwing quality animals.
tachyon

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:46 am

Izvestia wrote:I am glad Henny Hughes has gone on to success elsewhere, especially somewhere high profile like Japan. He was a class racehorse, and he has turned out to be a very useful sire. I love seeing Meadowlake in a pedigree too.
Is his initial popularity in Japan from the fact he is the sire of Beholder? Or was he having successful runners there beforehand? Anyone know?

I saw him at the BC in 2005, and he was super cute. He still looks fantastic, and is still a cute little guy.
Henny Hughes(USA) arrived at Japan in February 2014.
Both Asia Express(USA)(2013 JRA champion 2yo colt I mentioned above) and Beholder(USA)(2012 Eclipse champion 2yo filly and 2013 Eclipse champion 3yo filly) played important roles for his initial popularity in Japan.
The fact that he can sire top runners on either surface, dirt in the US or turf in Japan, had a great appeal for Japanese breeders. Also, his offspring's precocity must have been appreciated.
He covered 191 mares to have 130 registered foals in his debut year here.
(And... Beholder became champion older mare at 5, too, later!!!)

edited to add:

Johannesburg's success must have added to his popularity, too.
The Hennessy line have been doing pretty well in Japan.
Izvestia

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks tachyon. Interesting to know. I think he is a fantastic addition, his pedigree is an outcross for all of that Sunday Silence blood there. I love that arm of the Storm Cat sire line, so it is nice to see them do well.
bare it all

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Horsebagger wrote:Anybody else agree that Candy Ride might arguably be the best value sire out there at the moment? He keeps throwing quality animals.
I don't know about $60k being a value, but he can certainly get a top horse. I hoped Shared Belief would get him some more high class mares in the next few years. Other than packing him full with Storm cat line mares, I'd greedily love to see some good Kitten's Joy mares going to him.
Horsebagger

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:54 pm

bare it all wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:Anybody else agree that Candy Ride might arguably be the best value sire out there at the moment? He keeps throwing quality animals.
I don't know about $60k being a value, but he can certainly get a top horse.
Fair point. I should have qualified it by placing him in the context of the top performing stallions when suggesting he was value. $60k vs. $95k for Malibu Moon, $100k for Kitten's Joy, Curlin for $100k, $125k for POTN, Distorted Humor for $100k. And let's not even try to pin the correct stallion fee for American Pharoah. Who know's anymore.
Diver52

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:11 pm

I love Candy Ride as a sire. There have been so many South American disappointments at stud, but he had the kind of brilliance that transfers well anywhere.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:38 pm

Horsebagger wrote:
Fair point. I should have qualified it by placing him in the context of the top performing stallions when suggesting he was value. $60k vs. $95k for Malibu Moon, $100k for Kitten's Joy, Curlin for $100k, $125k for POTN, Distorted Humor for $100k. And let's not even try to pin the correct stallion fee for American Pharoah. Who know's anymore.
You missed the most confusingly priced horse in his immediate price point - Super Saver. Tiznow, Ghostzapper, and More Than Ready at least make sense.
bare it all

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 am

If we want to look at fees and be critical... we need to look first at War Front. $200k. Absolutely appalling. I guess people are banking on that high % of SWs? I just don't get him at all at that price. He was #25 on the 2015 sire list!! People can do what they want with their money and their mare, but that seems like a wasted season unless you plan to sell the foal.

Now, if I had a mare and a small budget and just wanted to breed something for my own entertainment and racing pleasure... I'd look at Bluegrass Cat. $7500 gets you alot of horse and a better than average chance of leading that horse into the winners circle at some point. He was #33 on the sire list last year... right after Tiznow at $60k.

If you want to look in the Top 25 from last years sire list and you breed to race at a higher level, I'd take a hard look at City Zip at $40k. He's a lot of sirepower for $40k and #11 on the sire list. He's going to get you turf and dirt and can throw a nice stakes horse although they're probably not going more than a mile.. but that's the bread and butter at most tracks across the country.
Vandalay

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 am

Totally agree about Super saver being over priced, when you look at the top 10 3rd crop sires, you see Munnings, Looking at Lucky, Warriors reward, Temple city & Blame ALL at $25K or below...Super Saver at $65K sticks out like a sore thumb
tachyon

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:55 am

Izvestia wrote: I love that arm of the Storm Cat sire line, so it is nice to see them do well.
:D
Johannesburg(USA) (Hennessy)
at JBBA, on Feb 18th 2016
Horsebagger

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:19 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
You missed the most confusingly priced horse in his immediate price point - Super Saver. Tiznow, Ghostzapper, and More Than Ready at least make sense.
We considered Super Saver, but he was ultimately dismissed as there are lots of options in this price range (where we feel most comfortable with) worth considering that we felt better about.

The deepest we're going is Kitten's Joy, but paying less than the $100,000 (as I suspect most are that breed to him), Uncle Mo, Candy Ride, Ghostzapper, Elusive Quality and Honor Code (would have sent two if he wasn't so much in demand). I was successful in convincing my partner to not go the AP route, at least this year, (if there are deals this year, they'll be making better deals NEXT year, imo).

My favorite time of year, both on the track and off.
Somnambulist

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:25 am

Horsebagger wrote: I was successful in convincing my partner to not go the AP route, at least this year, (if there are deals this year, they'll be making better deals NEXT year, imo).

My favorite time of year, both on the track and off.
Oh, you did. Congratulations are in order!

This is a shit time of year. The landscape is depressing.