horses with unique coloring/facial markings

ThreeMustangs

Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:37 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:White filly foaled in Australia. She's by High Chaparral out of the white Zabeel mare The Opera House (from the Windsor Park Stud FB page):
Now a yearling:

BaroqueAgain1

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:37 pm

Check out the blaze-and-a-half on this Lemon Drop Kid colt. :o
https://twitter.com/DRFLivingston/statu ... 12/photo/1
tachyon

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:22 am

2015 filly(JPN) - Harbinger(GB) x Luz Abi(JPN)(full to Japanese Derby winner Deep Sky) by Agnes Tachyon(JPN)

ThreeMustangs

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:38 pm

BlindLucky wrote:Takemetohollywood is a full brother to Beautiful Devil.
He broke his maiden today in Belterra R5.

Flanders

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:14 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:Takemetohollywood is a full brother to Beautiful Devil.
He broke his maiden today in Belterra R5.
I've never seen a white Thoroughbred up close. Do they always look sooooooooo pink?
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:38 pm

A TB has a pretty fine hair coat and, when the hair is white like that, the color of the underlying skin really shows through.
He's a gorgeous horse, but his coloring leaves him vulnerable to sunburn....and skin cancers. :(
lurkey mclurker

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:41 pm

If it's a summer coat or clipped or wet, or even just in certain light, the underlying pink skin can really be noticeable.

ETA: I was writing while BA was posting, it seems. :mrgreen: And yeah, I was going to say "lots of sunscreen in his future..."
ThreeMustangs

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 pm

Nathaniel - Silver Sycamore (Exchange Rate) yearling offered at the Arqana sale in France. He sold today for EUR 42,000. I would love to see his other side.

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:27 pm

He's a rabicano, right? I wonder if there is an official description for the white mark down his shoulder? IIRC, if the coloring were reversed, it would be called a 'bloody shoulder.'
Treve

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:He's a rabicano, right? I wonder if there is an official description for the white mark down his shoulder? IIRC, if the coloring were reversed, it would be called a 'bloody shoulder.'
Not a rabicano. This looks more like a weird expression of dominant white over a grey coat. Rabicano is characterized by a skunk tail and mottled, stripy white lines on the belly usually. When really extensive it tends to be confused with Roan.

Typical Rabicano

more moderate rabicano

Extensive Rabicano

Max Rabicano

Dominate White can go from anywhere as being a pure white thoroughbred to the more reduced expressions. Additionally there are about 11 known variations of spontaneous mutations of Dominate White many of which are found in TBs.

Puchilingui

Sato the palomino thoroughbred who is a son of Puchilingui is often talked about as being Sabino, but he has tested as dominant white.

Sato's son Simba Twist also has similar vertical markings on top of the usual Sabino 'splashy' expressions.

Airdrie Appache hasn't been tested but again has that vertical pattern thing going on.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks for all the cool...and educational...photos, Treve.
Treve

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Thanks for all the cool...and educational...photos, Treve.
You're welcome, I have a weird fascination with equine colour genetics :D (And genetics in general, particularly equine, canine and human).
It can be tricky identifying patterns because genetically speaking we're only JUST starting to isolate the responsible genes for some of them. Add to the fact that Thoroughbreds and Arabians for example traditionally are very conservative in their registries about colour names (and in arabians for a very long time if a horse had any kind of white on the belly it would be hidden or not noted on the papers) and you end up with a lot of confusion.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Insane Crazy

Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Treve wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:He's a rabicano, right? I wonder if there is an official description for the white mark down his shoulder? IIRC, if the coloring were reversed, it would be called a 'bloody shoulder.'
Not a rabicano. This looks more like a weird expression of dominant white over a grey coat. Rabicano is characterized by a skunk tail and mottled, stripy white lines on the belly usually. When really extensive it tends to be confused with Roan.
It's a little weird for DW though, yeah? I get where you're coming from but it just looks so...strange. Especially since it seems that DW *generally* starts on the legs and face, similar to sabino (though Airdrie Appache sure has some neat things going on down his legs!). Maybe a somatic mutation of some sort? A patch that was "coded" to grey faster than the rest, or something.

I live for this sort of stuff. Thanks for giving me a reason to nerd out on Simba Twist again. ;)
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Treve

Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Treve wrote:
It's a little weird for DW though, yeah? I get where you're coming from but it just looks so...strange. Especially since it seems that DW *generally* starts on the legs and face, similar to sabino (though Airdrie Appache sure has some neat things going on down his legs!). Maybe a somatic mutation of some sort? A patch that was "coded" to grey faster than the rest, or something.

I live for this sort of stuff. Thanks for giving me a reason to nerd out on Simba Twist again. ;)
Simba Twist is soooo drool worthy. Ugh, what a heartthrob.

Yeah it's not at all that common for DW, which is why I said it looks more like a weird expression of it... But who knows you may be right, perhaps the patch just greyed faster (maybe in utero even?) than the rest! And whoever said the thing about the bleeding shoulder is right, there's a neat legend about bleeding shoulders in Arabians :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

tachyon

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:37 am

2016 filly(JPN) - Harbinger(GB) x En Ciel Bleu(JPN) by Manhattan Cafe(JPN) (1/16)

at Yano Bokujo (Farm)
ThreeMustangs

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:36 am

tachyon wrote:2016 filly(JPN) - Harbinger(GB) x En Ciel Bleu(JPN) by Manhattan Cafe(JPN) (1/16)

at Yano Bokujo (Farm)
Is there a word in Japanese for "Unibrow?" :lol:
Sunline

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:35 am

The white filly by High Chaparral out of the white mare The Opera House was sold to Hideo Takadaru for $450,000 at the National Yearling Sale at Karaka,New Zealand.

http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing/XK ... for-450000
Sunline (1995-2009)- Queen of the Turf/ Mare of the World.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 am

Sunline wrote:The white filly by High Chaparral out of the white mare The Opera House was sold to Hideo Takadaru for $450,000 at the National Yearling Sale at Karaka,New Zealand.

She's striking and has a very nice pedigree. They seem quite excited to get her. I wish them the best.
The High Chaparral filly’s long-term future lies in Japan, but her proud new owner has not yet made a decision on what to do with her in the interim.
“I want her to be a broodmare in Japan and to breed her to Deep Impact,” he said. “I have not decided yet whether she will race here or in Japan.”
tachyon

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:01 am

Sunline wrote:The white filly by High Chaparral out of the white mare The Opera House was sold to Hideo Takadaru for $450,000 at the National Yearling Sale at Karaka,New Zealand.

Thanks Sunline for the update. :D
Hideo Takadaru has had such grade stakes winners as ;

Skip Jack(JPN) http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000733290/
Dear Yamato(JPN) http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000884983/
Red Agate(JPN) http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000887572/
Dear Geena(JPN) http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000987542/
Dear Domus(JPN) http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001155319/
lurkey mclurker

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm

This is about as golden bay as you could possibly be without being called buckskin... :lol:
Barbara Livingston ‏@DRFLivingston 4m 4 minutes ago

AWESOME BANNER and Jose Caraballo win the Swale impressively at @GulfstreamPark for trainer Stanley Gold.