Photos/News about Broodmares

Sparrow Castle

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:55 pm

What a lovely photo of Reve d'Essor. The tones in her coat match the tones of the field and background.

Good to see Princess of Sylmar looking beautiful and bright-eyed in her new role.
tachyon

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 am

-- per @nabecci (Jan 12)

Musical Romance(USA)

Mystic Lips(GER)
at Northern Farm, Japan
lurkey mclurker

Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Two more of Reve d'Essor (in foal to Lord Kanaloa) from @nabecci's feed 8-)

baby bump! :mrgreen:

Treve

Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:59 pm

Do you have any idea why she has a browband on her halter? I am kind of curious :P
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
RuffiantoRags

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Treve wrote:Do you have any idea why she has a browband on her halter? I am kind of curious :P
If she is a cribber, some cribbing straps have a browband.
Treve

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:12 pm

RuffiantoRags wrote:
Treve wrote:Do you have any idea why she has a browband on her halter? I am kind of curious :P
If she is a cribber, some cribbing straps have a browband.
You may be right I just thought the browband was awfully low to be one of a cribbing strap (most of the ones I've used or been around were fitted snuggly closer to the ear.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
lurkey mclurker

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 pm

I'm fairly confident it is a cribbing strap, there was another pic of a different mare wearing one and it was the same browband... I'll go look for it for comparison. 8-)

ETA hmm actually what I saw was this other pic from @nabecci's feed, which has Music Romance & Mystic Lips & Reve d'Essor all together, and you can see the actual cribbing strap.
CYTtSDcWkAAUAAC.jpg
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Darby Dan ‏@darbydanfarm
Gr 1 winner Winter Memories w/ her dam Gr 1 winner Memories of Silver & owner John Phillips. Photo by @DRFLivingston
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:06 pm

New photos of Zenyatta looking lovely posted on the blog.
Zenyatta is looking gorgeous with a healthy winter coat and growing belly. Her veterinarian says that momma and foal-to-be are both in excellent health. She has bonded with her paddock mates and she even shared her treats.
It won’t be long before foal watch begins in March! Scroll down for photos.
http://www.zenyatta.com/news/sweet-mome ... h-zenyatta
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:37 pm

From Taylor Made: Love the Chase, the dam of California Chrome, has settled in nicely at Taylor Made. She is turned out several hours a day and has a warm winter blanket. Her paddock buddy is named "Rateeba" and is also a graded stakes producing mare. Love the Chase will be bred to Tapit this year.

Rateeba is the dam of GSW I Spent It by Super Saver. Rateeba was mated to Super Saver for a 2016 foal. Not sure if she's in foal.
BlindLucky

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:24 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:From Taylor Made: Love the Chase, the dam of California Chrome, has settled in nicely at Taylor Made. She is turned out several hours a day and has a warm winter blanket. Her paddock buddy is named "Rateeba" and is also a graded stakes producing mare. Love the Chase will be bred to Tapit this year.

Rateeba is the dam of GSW I Spent It by Super Saver. Rateeba was mated to Super Saver for a 2016 foal. Not sure if she's in foal.
I saw some pictures of Love the Chase linked from the Bring Chrome Home page, one of the "fans" went to see her. Don't read the comments, though--you'll quickly find out she "looks really sad and lonely" and misses "Smitty" (her yearling colt who was weaned many, many months ago) and all her friends in CA terribly :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
TapitsGal

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:From Taylor Made: Love the Chase, the dam of California Chrome, has settled in nicely at Taylor Made. She is turned out several hours a day and has a warm winter blanket. Her paddock buddy is named "Rateeba" and is also a graded stakes producing mare. Love the Chase will be bred to Tapit this year.

I saw some pictures of Love the Chase linked from the Bring Chrome Home page, one of the "fans" went to see her. Don't read the comments, though--you'll quickly find out she "looks really sad and lonely" and misses "Smitty" (her yearling colt who was weaned many, many months ago) and all her friends in CA terribly :lol:
Oh boy, good thing she won't ever end up in Japan, there'd be an uproar on that page
Northport

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:45 am

TapitsGal wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:

Oh boy, good thing she won't ever end up in Japan, there'd be an uproar on that page
Though, if she does end up getting sold in foal to Tapit (as many have been predicting), I think there is a very good chance she goes to Japan
weeeeeeeee
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:45 pm

So sorry to read this.

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak
Champion Storm Flag Flying leaves behind a Candy Ride filly after passing due to foaling complications today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtEkHAcoUw
lurkey mclurker

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Re Love the Chase to Japan...

...that's what I was thinking but I figured why stir the pot even more... :lol:
KimmieB

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:50 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:So sorry to read this.

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak
Champion Storm Flag Flying leaves behind a Candy Ride filly after passing due to foaling complications today.
This hurts. RIP Storm Flag Flying. You were one of the first that got me into racing.
lurkey mclurker

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:So sorry to read this.

Claire Novak ‏@BH_CNovak

:cry: http://linkis.com/paulickreport.com/ktz9w

STORM FLAG FLYING DIES AT 16 FROM FOALING COMPLICATIONS

by Press Release | 01.22.2016 | 7:24pm

Eclipse Award winner, Storm Flag Flying, died Jan. 22nd at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital due to complications during foaling, according to Claiborne Farm representative Bernie Sams.

Foaled at Claiborne Farm in April 2000, Storm Flag Flying (Storm Cat – My Flag by Easy Goer), was a 4-time Grade 1 winner with career earnings just shy of $2-million. She was bred and raced by the legendary Phipps Stable, and trained by Hall of Famer “Shug” McGaughey.

During her championship season of 2002, Storm Flag Flying dominated the juvenile circuit, culminating with a victory in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr.1), a race also won by her dam. This string of impressive victories earned Storm Flag Flying the 2002 Eclipse Award for Outstanding Two-Year-Old Filly.

In total, her victories included the 2002 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr.1), Matron Stakes (gr.1), Frizette (gr.1), Personal Ensign (gr.1), and Shuvee Handicap (gr.2).

Additionally, Storm Flag Flying placed in the Ogden Phipps Handicap (gr.1), Go For Wand (gr.1), Beldame (gr.1), Distaff Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr.2), Comely Stakes (gr.3), and 2004 Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr.1).

Following her runner-up finish in the 2004 Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr.1), she was retired to Claiborne Farm.

By champion sire Storm Cat, Storm Flag Flying was the daughter of 4-time Grade 1 winner, My Flag, and granddaughter of Personal Ensign, one of the most important broodmares of the 20th century.

“Storm Flag Flying was a magnificent racemare from a magnificent family,” said Sams. “We are saddened by the loss, but thankful our team was able to save her foal, a filly by Candy Ride.”

Storm Flag Flying will be buried at Claiborne Farm.
tachyon

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:02 pm

RIP Storm Flag Flying. :(
Her BC Juvenile Fillies was really phenomenal.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Had to go find this picture again.

Personal Ensign, My Flag, and Storm Flag Flying; Mom, Daughter & Grandaughter
Northport

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Had to go find this picture again.

Personal Ensign, My Flag, and Storm Flag Flying; Mom, Daughter & Grandaughter
What a spectacular photo
weeeeeeeee