Photos/News about Broodmares

Diver52

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:59 pm

I don't recall his sire, but I was also thinking "Boy that's a big head!"
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
tachyon

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Please let me relocate from other thread for this quote and subject;
Northport wrote:That's terribly upsetting news about Tosho Bokujo. Are they voluntarily choosing to close their doors, or did they go bankrupt? I thought racing/breeding in Japan was a growing industry, so naturally this news is sad to hear :(
Yes, that's very upsetting news, as ''Tosho'' was very popular name / operation in Japan especially for the old fans.
Since this announcement of its dispersal, there has been strong response from the public who all heard the news with regret.
The owner didn't bunkrupt, but he might have felt it was about time when his horses lost momentum while the giant (Shadai) dominates the market.

Sweep Tosho(JPN) was an extremely popular mare.
But the biggest horse who made Tosho Bokujo very famous in early days was Tosho Boy(JPN) (1973-1992).
As a racehorse, his rivalry with Ten Point(JPN) is never forgettable for us Japanese old fans.
Tosho Boy saw big success at stud, too. His offspring included Triple Crown winner Mr. C. B.(JPN).

http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000061253/

as Sweep Tosho beat Heart's Cry in 2007 Takarazuaka
serenassong

Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Got back from Lex - yesterday- have to sort thru my pics-

But to get you excited- a shot that I got of Serena- I love this look she is giving me-

And, while she was in such a good mood (she was very, very good for me- probably due to the very large bag of peppermints that I had)- Denali took some shots of her- not so bad for 23, huh.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
lurkey mclurker

Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:42 pm

She looks so happy. :mrgreen: Do I remember right that she is pensioned now?
serenassong

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:28 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:She looks so happy. :mrgreen: Do I remember right that she is pensioned now?
Yes, her last baby is a yearling by MDO. She was covered in 2014 - for a 2015- but slipped. Given her age and her fantastic produce record- they retired her.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Sparrow Castle

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:33 am

She looks fabulous! Haha, yes, always bring lots of peppermints! So happy you had a good visit with the one and only Serena's Song.

I think she was pensioned about a year ago after she lost her Stormy Atlantic (?) foal for 2015.

ETA Sorry didn't see your post, Serenassong.
mariasmon

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:12 am

Glad you finally got to see her!
serenassong

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:24 pm

mariasmon wrote:Glad you finally got to see her!
Yes- I was shaking with excitement and had everyone crying as I was talking to her- telling her how special she was. It was an unreal experience for me

Some more pics- hubby got more, but have to find some more time to transfer-

She was very well behaved, looks wonderful and I was allowed to spend as much time as I liked with her. She got a lot of peppermints. He grooms loves her very much and she looks half her age. The thing that struck me most about her is her conformation- short and compact- built very much like her father (although I have never seen pics of her dam- and the folks at Denali were going to research to see if they could find some pics of Imagining and post them)

mariasmon

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:21 pm

SS, did you get to see Night and Day, as well?
serenassong

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:29 pm

mariasmon wrote:SS, did you get to see Night and Day, as well?
No, I didn't want to trouble them- not sure if she was in the same barn or not. I know that her 2014 is in the Keenland sale next week
Flanders

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 pm

serenassong wrote:Yes- I was shaking with excitement and had everyone crying as I was talking to her- telling her how special she was. It was an unreal experience for me

She was very well behaved, looks wonderful and I was allowed to spend as much time as I liked with her. She got a lot of peppermints. He grooms loves her very much and she looks half her age. The thing that struck me most about her is her conformation- short and compact- built very much like her father (although I have never seen pics of her dam- and the folks at Denali were going to research to see if they could find some pics of Imagining and post them)
Wonderful that you got to see her!
Calypso

Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:25 am

SS, congratulations on finally being able to meet her! She looks amazing and it looks like you definitely got on her good side. Great pics, too!
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
Northport

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Richard Hughes and The Fugue (in foal to Dubawi) reunited last week at Watership Down Stud. They won the 2012 Nassau Stakes together!
weeeeeeeee
uma_nosuke

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Northport wrote:Richard Hughes and The Fugue (in foal to Dubawi) reunited last week at Watership Down Stud. They won the 2012 Nassau Stakes together!

A beautifl photo. I very much like it.
tachyon

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:14 pm

tachyon wrote:Please let me relocate from other thread for this quote and subject;
Northport wrote:That's terribly upsetting news about Tosho Bokujo. Are they voluntarily choosing to close their doors, or did they go bankrupt? I thought racing/breeding in Japan was a growing industry, so naturally this news is sad to hear :(
Yes, that's very upsetting news, as ''Tosho'' was very popular name / operation in Japan especially for the old fans.
Since this announcement of its dispersal, there has been strong response from the public who all heard the news with regret.
The owner didn't bunkrupt, but he might have felt it was about time when his horses lost momentum while the giant (Shadai) dominates the market.

But the biggest horse who made Tosho Bokujo very famous in early days was Tosho Boy(JPN) (1973-1992).
As a racehorse, his rivalry with Ten Point(JPN) is never forgettable for us Japanese old fans.
Tosho Boy saw big success at stud, too. His offspring included Triple Crown winner Mr. C. B.(JPN).

http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000061253/

Sweep Tosho goes to (ever-expanding) Katsumi Yoshida's Northern Farm after all..
Last edited by tachyon on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tachyon

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Champagne d'Oro(USA) (Medaglia d'Oro)
https://www.facebook.com/ShadaiFarm/pho ... =1&theater

at Teruya Yoshida's Shadai Farm
Twingo

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:17 am

Tap Your Heels (Unbridled), dam of Tapit, pictured in foal to Super Saver. Owners: Barouche Stud (IRE)

hadrianmarcus

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:45 am

tachyon wrote:
tachyon wrote:Please let me relocate from other thread for this quote and subject;

Sweep Tosho goes to (ever-expanding) Katsumi Yoshida's Northern Farm after all..

Sadly, I don't think Tosho Bokujo will be the last one. In the face of the Yoshida Brothers dominance in
stallions, broodmares, purses, imports, and training facilities...I think mid-level farms and owners will
face a tough decision in the near future.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Monopolies aren't really good for maintaining the quality of a product...competition is better for the buyer, which is why there are laws against them here in the US. Of course, that mostly applies to things like utilities or manufacturing, and I doubt that a monopoly in 'manufacturing' horses would get much attention from law enforcement. :lol:
Sparrow Castle

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:50 pm

This article may be interesting for those that are following the family.
La Ville Rouge, boarded at Mill Ridge Farm in Kentucky for the Jacksons, has produced six starters; of her five winners, four are stakes winners. She is best known for the offspring sired by the late Three Chimneys stallion Dynaformer, whose court she visited for the first time in the spring of 2002.
Eyes turn toward Barbaro’s brothers at stud
http://www.drf.com/news/eyes-turn-towar ... ers-stud-1