Photos/News about Broodmares

BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:40 pm

I don't believe that specifics were ever made public, but I am going to speculate that the problems she had after her second foaling, which IIRC involved surgery to deal with the issue, left her reproductive tract damaged in such a way that she can never again be a broodmare.
It's sad, because I don't think that either Curlin or Bernardini were the best matches for her. If she had stayed healthy, IMHO we could have seen her best offspring from her third or fourth breeding.
Old Bones

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Premature to claim that and no way to know at this point unless you have been trackside for works from the two. Banke years ago mentioned how good a match A. P. Indy was for Rachel Alexandra so I'm sure that played into the decision for Bernardini. And Banke in the last year has mentioned she is just too nervous about risking Rachel and facing a life threatening situation with her again after having lived through the worst that can happen. No basis there to jump to speculation for any internal damage that would prevent a successful pregnancy and foaling.
sweettalk

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:27 pm

Old Bones wrote:Premature to claim that and no way to know at this point unless you have been trackside for works from the two. Banke years ago mentioned how good a match A. P. Indy was for Rachel Alexandra so I'm sure that played into the decision for Bernardini. And Banke in the last year has mentioned she is just too nervous about risking Rachel and facing a life threatening situation with her again after having lived through the worst that can happen. No basis there to jump to speculation for any internal damage that would prevent a successful pregnancy and foaling.
i think that's the perfect basis...? :?:
Old Bones

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 pm

A nervous owner does not equate to internal damage.
luvthesales

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Old Bones wrote:Premature to claim that and no way to know at this point unless you have been trackside for works from the two. Banke years ago mentioned how good a match A. P. Indy was for Rachel Alexandra so I'm sure that played into the decision for Bernardini. And Banke in the last year has mentioned she is just too nervous about risking Rachel and facing a life threatening situation with her again after having lived through the worst that can happen. No basis there to jump to speculation for any internal damage that would prevent a successful pregnancy and foaling.
i think that's the perfect basis...? :?:
Fear that something will go wrong because you're unwilling to take the normal risk and fear based on an actual problem are two different things; I'm sure that's what Old Bones meant. An owner's fear-- without any other information-- does not necessarily indicate there is "basis to jump to speculation for any internal damage." That doesn't mean that the fear (reasonable or otherwise) isn't sufficient to make the decision not to breed; of course it is for any owner.

No one except those involved know the true story, and the level of risk involved if they bred her again. I make no assumptions either way, because I don't know if it's aversion to reasonable risk (that exists with any mare) after a couple of unfortunate statistical anomalies or aversion because things genuinely wouldn't be in this particular mare's favor based on her reproductive health.
Old Bones

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Fear that something will go wrong because you're unwilling to take the normal risk and fear based on an actual problem are two different things

Exactly. The only thing we know for sure is that based on a very bad past experience the owner is no longer willing to take that normal risk. Why jump to speculation that there is physical damage preventing a successful foaling? I'm satisfied they have chosen to share that RA is over her breeding career. Now we know. And am most thankful she is fully recovered and fat and sassy.
Carotene

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:27 am

carole wrote:Rachel Alexandra looking fab! Posted on the Stonestreet Facebook and Twitter today!
Wow, she looks absolutely fantastic! Still a stunner and happy she's well.

The Fugue is pretty nice lookin' too. Love this thread...it's nice to keep the ladies in mind after they've left the tracks. :)
Jenn
Formerly Play the King
mariasmon

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:43 pm

Serena's Song is doing well at Denali.

serenassong

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:28 pm

mariasmon wrote:Serena's Song is doing well at Denali.

Soon, my beloved- until I stand before you! Lovely!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
mariasmon

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Do NOT forget the mints when you go, SS. Your namesake's good mood depends upon it!
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:12 pm

mariasmon wrote:Serena's Song is doing well at Denali.

She looks fantastic! Awww I love Serena so much <3
serenassong

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:34 pm

mariasmon wrote:Do NOT forget the mints when you go, SS. Your namesake's good mood depends upon it!
Yep- the biggest bag I can find- so she can have what she wants and many more for later. Heard she only likes the round kind.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
mariasmon

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:53 pm

serenassong wrote:
mariasmon wrote:Do NOT forget the mints when you go, SS. Your namesake's good mood depends upon it!
Yep- the biggest bag I can find- so she can have what she wants and many more for later. Heard she only likes the round kind.
She is spoiled for sure. One time I went to see her, I only had carrots (I had been to see Precious Kitten before her and she likes carrots, not mints). Serena took the carrot (2 carrots, actually), but gave me a look that let me know it was substandard.
BlindLucky

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:01 am

serenassong wrote:Soon, my beloved- until I stand before you! Lovely!
Are you going to see her? Make sure to go to the office and check out her hardware, they have her Hall of Fame plaque and some Eclipse trophies there (not just hers, some others too). Shove mints in her face, but don't let her snap off any fingers... she's not exactly the sweetest thing on the farm, shall we say :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
ThreeMustangs

Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:47 pm

"Chase ‏@DChaseMullins
Groupie Doll and Tapitstry catching up on some water cooler gossip. "

serenassong

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:07 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
Are you going to see her? Make sure to go to the office and check out her hardware, they have her Hall of Fame plaque and some Eclipse trophies there (not just hers, some others too). Shove mints in her face, but don't let her snap off any fingers... she's not exactly the sweetest thing on the farm, shall we say :lol:
Yes I am! I know that she is not the nicest horse around - she can leave a mark on me and it will be a much loved tattoo. I will certainly ask about seeing her hardware and plan to also ask about MDO yearling as well as trying to get to see Night and Day. A bit disappointed that I won't be able to see Symm Symm. I did contact Denali and they have been really super about getting me in.
BlindLucky

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:55 pm

serenassong wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:
Yes I am! I know that she is not the nicest horse around - she can leave a mark on me and it will be a much loved tattoo. I will certainly ask about seeing her hardware and plan to also ask about MDO yearling as well as trying to get to see Night and Day. A bit disappointed that I won't be able to see Symm Symm. I did contact Denali and they have been really super about getting me in.
The last time we were there, they let us go see Ipi Tombe too. She's not very big, but she's as sweet as can be. I'm guessing she's still at Denali.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Ioya Two

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:14 pm

Damn shame Ipi got hurt after her race at Churchill. She was a freak.
Pulpit 1994-2012
mariasmon

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
serenassong wrote:
BlindLucky wrote: Are you going to see her? Make sure to go to the office and check out her hardware, they have her Hall of Fame plaque and some Eclipse trophies there (not just hers, some others too). Shove mints in her face, but don't let her snap off any fingers... she's not exactly the sweetest thing on the farm, shall we say :lol:
The last time we were there, they let us go see Ipi Tombe too. She's not very big, but she's as sweet as can be. I'm guessing she's still at Denali.
I try to keep it to 3 mares when I visit. Last week, we saw Serena, Keertana and Wine Princess. There were 7 or 8 other mares I'd love to have seen, too :D Probably, if SS asks for Serena, Night and Day and Serena's Song '14, that'll be good.
Northport

Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:04 pm

World class broodmare, Daltawa, has died at the age of 26

She was the dam of 7 time G1 winner Daylami as well as 4 time G1 and Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe winner Dalakhani. Daltawa was also the 2nd dam of duel G1 and Dubai Sheema Classic winner Dolniya and the 3rd dam of G1 winner Dalkala.

http://bloodstock.racingpost.com/news/b ... 6/1917154/
weeeeeeeee